- Item #: i_352998Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS: "Aromas of orange rind and green apple mingling with notions of citrus blossom and fresh pastry introduce the 2017 Pouilly-Fuissé Tête de Cru Les Perrières, a medium to full-bodied, tight-knit and structured wine that's deep but fine-boned, concluding with a long and precise finish. Like the Clos des Prouges, this will need a little time in the cellar to unwind, but it's very promising."
- Item #: i_302714Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS: "A cuvée that was produced from 1.7 hectares around the village and saw 20% new wood, the 2017 Chassagne-Montrachet Village exhibits pretty aromas of white flowers, lime zest, pear and subtle oak vanillin. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, satiny and succulent, with nice concentration, an open and expressive core and a precise, chalky finish. This will drink very well out of the gates given its charming but classic profile."
- Item #: i_352181Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Wafting from the glass with a complex bouquet of vine blossom, acacia honey, mandarin oil, ripe pears and hazelnuts, the 2017 Bâtard-Montrachet Grand Cru is full-bodied, unctuous and dense, with a blockier, more foursquare profile than the lavishly expansive Criots, with more depth and concentration too, concluding with a long, mouthwatering finish. This is quintessential Bâtard. As usual, Cécile Fontaine had bottled her 2017s just before harvest 2018, so I had the pleasure of tasting finished wines that will be entirely representative of the bottles that readers can buy. Succulent and defined by site, it's a lovely vintage at this address—which I've been visiting since my student days—and one that plays to the strengths of the domaine's pure, elegant and aromatic house style. Thanks to the generous crops of 2017 and 2018, plans are afoot to extend the domaine's cellars, opening up the possibility of longer sur lie élevage. Perhaps more space will permit other refinements of technique, too? My suggested drinking windows for these wines err on the side of caution, as in the past Fontaine-Gagnard has suffered from the scourge of premature oxidation, a problem that Céline is the first to acknowledge, but they are beautifully balanced wines so in a perfect world they might well mature in the cellar for quite a lot longer."
- Item #: i_305158Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Burghound: 92Vinous Media: 92VINOUS 91 - 94 POINTS - "A hint of reduction to the aromas of pear, stone, menthol and herbs; a bit wild in a positive way. Dense, rich and sappy, with its touch of sweetness perfectly countered by crushed-stone minerality. At once broad and vibrant, with tactile flavors of grapefruit pith, lemon and flowers conveying a subtly salty character. Really resounds on the long back end."
JOHN GILMAN 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Caillerets from Domaine Fontaine is a ripe and excellent wine. Despite these grapes being picked first, the natural alcohol has come in at 13.3 percent in 2017, showing just how fast the sugar levels were rising after the late August heat spike. The wine delivers a superb bouquet of apple, pear, a very complex base of chalky minerality, spring flowers, orange blossoms and vanillin oak. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied and complex, with a rock solid core of fruit, lovely succulent fruit on the attack, excellent mineral drive, bright, snappy acids and excellent focus and grip on the very long and quite snappy finish. This wine retained excellent acidity, despite the sugars getting up into a pretty generous range, and the wine should age beautifully, but also drink with beauty and authority with only a few years in the cellar. 2021-2045+."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Offering up aromas of apple blossom, crisp orchard fruit, dried white flowers and honeycomb, the lovely 2017 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets is medium to full-bodied, satiny and expansive, with a lovely line of animating acidity, a deep core and a long, pure finish. As usual, Cécile Fontaine had bottled her 2017s just before harvest 2018, so I had the pleasure of tasting finished wines that will be entirely representative of the bottles that readers can buy. Succulent and defined by site, it's a lovely vintage at this address—which I've been visiting since my student days—and one that plays to the strengths of the domaine's pure, elegant and aromatic house style. Thanks to the generous crops of 2017 and 2018, plans are afoot to extend the domaine's cellars, opening up the possibility of longer sur lie élevage. Perhaps more space will permit other refinements of technique, too? My suggested drinking windows for these wines err on the side of caution, as in the past Fontaine-Gagnard has suffered from the scourge of premature oxidation, a problem that Céline is the first to acknowledge, but they are beautifully balanced wines so in a perfect world they might well mature in the cellar for quite a lot longer."
BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "(from En Cailleret). There is a touch of the exotic in evidence here as well with an exceptionally fresh and softly oaked mix of white and yellow orchard fruit aromas that include white peach, apricot and a floral hint. The seductively textured yet impressively dense medium weight plus flavors are blessed with an abundance of dry extract that coats the palate on the powerful, lightly stony focused and nicely long finish. This is presently less complex than the best of these 1ers though it could well develop more depth with bottle age and if it does my rating could be a bit too conservative."
- Item #: i_322098Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Burghound: 91Vinous Media: 91-94Decanter: 94 PointsDECANTER 94 POINTS: "This old-vine 0.72ha parcel touches the Clos St-Jean at the northern end of the village, and is one of the fresher, pithier wines in the domaine's range in 2017. It has good weight and concentration but also plenty of acidity, framed by aromatic oak."
- Item #: i_352501Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS: "The 2017 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Perrières is very promising indeed, offering up a youthfully reticent bouquet of crushed rocks, ripe citrus oil and white flowers. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, deep and satiny, with lovely purity, a taut, tensile core and a long, precise finish. To my palate, this is the finest Perrières that François Carillon has produced to date."
- Item #: i_351767Bottle Size: 750mlThe palate is immediately vibrant, opening into an expressive, powerful mid-palate, rather flamboyantly fruited but underscored by a fine tensile minerality. Very good..
- Item #: i_352987Bottle Size: 750mlBIODYNAMIC
NEAL MARTIN, VINOUS 91 POINTS - ""The 2015 Bourgogne-Côtes d'Auxerre Gueule de Loup has an engaging, complex bouquet of dried honey, pine cones and a touch of orange peel and black currant leaf. The palate is very well balanced, with a fine bead of acidity, and the finish conveys a simmering tension. Discreet stem ginger and white pepper notes are sprinkled liberally on the aftertaste. Superb."
- Item #: i_351298Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS- OUTSTANDING!: "Here the nose is aromatically quite similar to that of the Morgeot with perhaps a bit more floral influence. The caressing, vibrant and succulent medium weight flavors possess an attractive mouth feel while the lingering and much more complex finale is shaped by citrus-tinged acidity. While the Morgeot is perfectly good, it's clear that there is another dimension present."
- Item #: i_350844Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND - "Outstanding Top Value* (50% from Meursault vines and the rest from declassified St. Romain and Auxey-Duresses in equal proportions) A fresh and ripe nose of pear and orange peel exhibits touches of the exotic. There is excellent underlying tension to the punchy flavors that possess unusually good volume while delivering equally fine length. This is impressive for its level and highly recommended."
- Item #: i_352611Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS: "The 2017 Chevalier-Montrachet Grand Cru is a stunner, unwinding in the glass with a classic bouquet of citrus oil, dried white flowers, linden, beeswax, crushed rocks and pastry cream. On the palate, it's full-bodied, tensile and searingly intense, with superb depth and dimension, immensely promising structural tension, and a long, incisive and unmistakably mineral finish. This will be well worth seeking out."
BURGHOUND 96 POINTS -DON'T MISS! : "A background touch of wood sets off a perfumed and intensely floral nose of acacia blossom, lilac, spice, lavender and green apple-scented aromas. There is excellent power and drive to the intense and tension-filled large-scaled flavors that possess a succulent mouth feel before culminating in a sneaky long and overtly mineral-inflected finish. This is an unusually powerful Chevalier that is presently shaped by a very firm acid spine and I would recommend buying this with the express intent of forgetting it at the back of your cellar."
- Item #: i_352936Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 92-94BURGHOUND 94 POINTS - "There is a whiff of natural exoticism to the strikingly elegant, wafting and overtly floral and spiced tea aromas of mostly white orchard fruit. The cool, precise and restrained flavors possess a wonderfully refined mouth feel while displaying an abundance of minerality on the bitter lemon-inflected, balanced and sneaky long finish. This stunningly good effort is an exerciaromas of mostly white orchard fruit. The cool, precise and restrained flavors possess a wonderfully refined mouth feel while displaying an abundance of minerality on the bitter lemon-inflected, balanced and sneaky long finish. This stunningly good effort is an exercise is refinement and class."se is refinement and class."
VINOUS 93 - 95 POINTS - "(Boillot described his vines in Genevrières du Haut as "two rows away from Perrières "): Pale, green-tinged yellow. Delicate nose hints at lime zest and white flowers. Wonderfully silky and energetic on the palate but also sharply delineated and tighter today than the Charmes. Discreet citrus fruit and hazelnut flavors deliver noteworthy complexity. Finishes gripping and very long, with serious salty energy. The crop level here was just 35 hectoliters per hectare, according to Boillot."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 - 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Meursault 1er Cru Genevrières is another of the many highlights in this superlative portfolio, unfurling in the glass with aromas of green apple, citrus oil, spring blossom and oatmeal. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, layered and complete, with impressive concentration and depth at the core, ripe but vibrant acids and a stony, precise finish."
- Item #: i_351380Bottle Size: 3LBURGHOUND 94 POINTS -OUTSTANDING! : "A touch of mineral reduction can be found on the markedly floral-inflected nose of white peach, spice and discreet wood nuances. There is first-rate volume to the caressing yet powerful flavors that possess excellent mid-palate density before concluding in a highly energetic, complex and beautifully well-balanced finale. This isn't quite as structured as the Pucelles but it is still sufficiently prominent to make evident that here too patience will be rewarded."
- Item #: i_350403Bottle Size: 750mlDECANTER MAGAZINE 92 POINTS: "This reveals a complex bouquet of poached pear, citrus zest, juicy apple and white flowers, leading into a glossy palate underpinned by lovely minerality and acidity. Delicious stuff."
- Item #: i_350506Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93ROBERT PARKER 91-93 POINTS: "The 2017 Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Clos de la Chapelle (Domaine du Duc de Magenta) unfurls in the glass with aromas of fresh peach, buttered apples, almond paste and honeycomb. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, satiny and concentrated, with bright acids, impressive energy and tension and a long, tangy finish. This is another white well worth seeking out."
- Item #: i_352309Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Corton-Charlemagne Grand Cru reveals aromas of lemon oil, beeswax, pastry cream and nutmeg. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, tensile and chalky, with a reserved, structural profile."
- Item #: i_350870Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Wine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Enticing aromas of vanilla, citronella, hazelnut and lime are the hallmarks of this creamy white. Harmonious and complex, lingering on the finish and fading gracefully, with echoes of spice and citrus."
WINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "The 2017 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos du Cailleret offers up notes of mandarin, lemon oil, smoke, dried white flowers and candle wax. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, with a tighter-knit, more tensile profile than the Clos de la Pucelle, built around tangy acids and chalky extract. This looks to be the finest premier cru in the Chartron cellar this year."
- Item #: i_352308Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS: "The 2017 Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Pucelle displays a lovely bouquet of fresh peach, yellow orchard fruit, beeswax and white flowers. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, deep and broad shouldered, with lovely depth at the core, fresh acids and a long, expansive finish. It's an especially complete wine this year. Chartron will also be releasing a small barrel selection as a "Cuvée Centennaire" to commemorate the acquisition of this clos in 1917. The 2017 vintage is a decided success for Domaine Jean Chartron, an excellent source of pure and precise Puligny that deserves more recognition. Over the last decade, Jean-Michel Chartron has masterminded a quiet renaissance at this important estate. Winemaking here is classical, with modest percentages of new oak and fermentation and élevage in barrel, with the wines often spending a few months in stainless steel before bottling after a light fining. In 2017, the domaine will celebrate the acquisition in 1917 of its three important enclosed vineyards—the Clos des Chevaliers, the Clos de la Pucelle and the Clos du Cailleret—with a small special cuvée from each, and based on what I tasted, I suspect those wines will be well worth a special effort to seek out."
- Item #: i_351033Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The superlative 2017 Chablis Vieilles Vignes wafts from the glass with aromas of waxy citrus fruit, green apple, honeycomb, white flowers and smoke. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, satiny and layered, with superb depth and concentration, racy acids and a long, precise finish. Bessin ruefully observed that it was produced from yields of less than 20 hectoliters per hectare, but no doubt the small crop also helps to account for its quality. It isn't easy to find a better rendition of the appellation, and this comes warmly recommended."
- Item #: i_350837Bottle Size: 750mlWhilst Chavy’s have been living in Puligny Montrachet for over 200 years it was not until 1986 that Gerard Chavy started to estate bottle his own wine (previously the wines were sold to negotiants).
The estate of Gerard Chavy has now been split into 2 separate estates by his sons, Jean-Louis Chavy, and Alain Chavy. We import the wines from Jean-Louis who has built a brand new winemaking facility and a deep temperature controlled cellar at the bottom of the village.
Vinification is classic with temperature control and only natural yeasts used for fermentation. The average age of vines at this estate is impressive with most vineyards now aged between 20 to 40 years old. For the elevage of the wines the use of new oak is restrained with the village Puligny seeing only 15% new oak and the 1er cru’s just 25%. Unfortunately there are no Grand cru vineyards among his holdings, however his 1er cru’s are located very close to some of the best vineyards in Puligny.
Jean-Louis’ wines show fine fruit purity, with mineral notes giving an extra dimension. These are wines of classic style that age and develop gracefully.
Has a lifted mineral nose with subtle scents of honeysuckle and almond, certainly endowed with the vigour one expects from this vineyard. The palate is fine, harmonious and svelte on the entry. This is a Perrieres demonstrating typical fine mineral nuance, though it needs more time to develop and show its best.