- Item #: i_352148Bottle Size: 750mlMade from vines averaging about 50 years old, the Malacare is primarily Syrah (60%) and Grenache (25%) with a small amount of Carignan (10%), and comes from southwest-facing slopes of sandy soil. After a fairly long cuvaison of about 3 weeks, the wine is aged mostly in concrete for roughly a year, with the Syrah partly aged in large barrels before being bottled.
- Item #: i_334210Bottle Size: 750MLDeep purple color with aromas of black cherries, dark berries, figs, and hints of black tea, tobacco and pepper. Bright and youthful, medium bodied but fruit forward and friendly without being over-extracted. Excellent tannin intergration and very food friendly.
- Item #: i_351650Bottle Size: 750mlCostières de Nîmes has more in common with the Rhône across the river than it does with the wines of Languedoc immediately neighbouring it. Château Guiot lies just outside the city of Nîmes, in the heart of this appellation. Deep purple hue, a beautifully scented nose with herby aromas, lashings of juicy forest fruits and spicy, rich berry flavours on the palate and a good, smooth finish. Equally good with anything from shepherd’s pie, meatballs or moussaka style vegetarian dishes.
- Item #: i_351076Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the Languedoc region of the South of France, a stone’s throw away from the Mediterranean sea. Chateau Maris offers sustainable, organic wines. Maris Minervois wine is a blend of Syrah & Grenache, in AOP Minervois. Aromas of blackberry, black cherry, pepper, and blackcurrant. Attractive mouth with a fruited palate. A comforting everyday wine perfect for a roast, barbecue and sharing with friends.
- Item #: i_374762Bottle Size: 750MLToday, Cahors’ jack-of-all-trades and Renaissance man, Philippe Bernede, continues the family tradition with both heart and ingenuity. Philippe’s vines rest upon the gentle slopes that rise up from the Lot River. He farms sixty hectares of land along the alluvial terraces of the Lot Valley that are rich in siliceous, clay, and limestone soils. A.O.C. Cahors is known as the "black wine" of the Southwest-the deeply inky, earthy wines that seem to complement the regional fare of duck (and duck fat!) so wonderfully. Cahors is also the birthplace of Cot, the grape more commonly known as Malbec-a fascinating contrast to its South American brother. Today, the blend consists of 80% Malbec and 20% Merlot, creating an intense wine that juggles elegant rusticity with everyday drinkability. In fact, the '59 Clos la Coutale is still drinking beautifully, especially with cassoulet, but his wines also pair just as well with a simple steak and potatoes.
- Item #: i_345881Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91-93Jean Marc Lafage is unquestionably one of the best value producers in France, if not the world. By now, you are probably well aware of his Syrah/Grenache blend Bastide Miraflors which has been a customer favorite and one of our top wines for the past several years. He is also responsible for the amazingly affordable and delicious Novellum Chardonnay and best-selling Miraflors Rose.
His Cuvee Nicolas Grenache is made in the same easy-drinking, fruit- forward style we love. It boasts expressive aromatics and freshness, making you want to take another sip. The Wine Advocate's Joe Czerwinski rated this wine 91-93 Points, calling it a wine which is "rich, deep and velvety in texture" and "should be a similarly rocking value once it's released."
Jeb Dunnuck writes, "When it comes to quality-to-price ratios, no one does it better than proprietor Jean Marc Lafage. Located just outside of Perpignan, this estate has a wealth of old vines and vineyards to pull from, and the addition of a massive new winery is only going to give them even more control.
While it's easy to write off these value-priced releases as fruit bombs, please taste the wines! They have beautiful purity of fruit, impeccable balance and each release has their own unique character. At this price, this is an absolute no-brainer."
Buy it by the case and drink it over the coming 2-3 years.
WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "It was exciting to see that the 2017 Nicolas, all old-vine Grenache from three terroirs, was showing more red fruit and freshness than the 2016. It's still rich, deep and velvety in texture, but it's livelier and should be a similarly rocking value once it's released."
- Item #: i_350596Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Coming from 100% Chardonnay that was aged on Viognier lees, the 2017 Vin de France Novellum boasts sensational notes of ripe citrus, white flowers, and spice, with loads of classic Catalanes salinity and obvious minerality. Aged in 15% new barrels, it’s medium-bodied, has remarkable purity, integrated acidity, and is a total steal at the price. Drink it over the coming 2-4 years."
- Item #: i_345898Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Narassa, a blend of 80% Grenache and 20% Syrah, carries five grams per liter of residual sugar, right at the threshold of normal detectability. As a result, some tasters may find this sweet, while others may see it as a dry wine. I'd opt for pairing it with cheeses at the end of a meal, where its decadently ripe flavors of cherries and chocolate will shine, accented by hints of violets and dried spices."
- Item #: i_333477Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of Grenache, Syrah, and assorted Bordeaux varietals
WINEMAKER NOTES - Opaque with ruby accents, the wine is intensely perfumed with aromas of vivid wild berry, warm spice, plum, kirsch, lavender and subtle oak nuances. The entry is juicy and penetrating with rich flavors of ripe blackberry, racy currant and blueberry that generously coat the palate. Easy drinking, the finish is long and clean with just the right amount of polished tannins to keep the fruit in focus.
- Item #: i_352962Bottle Size: 750mlUpstream from Bordeaux along the Garonne River lie the vineyards of Buzet, just north of Armagnac and southwest of Cahors. Buzet was recognized as an Appellation in 1973, as it’s clay limestone soils are ideal for Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Christophe tends to these vines with the utmost respect for biodiversity of the terroir and this cuvée is vinified without oak.
- Item #: i_352747Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Decanter: 96 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsIf you enjoy rich, full-bodied reds loaded with perfectly ripened fruit, we have a delicious wine and incredible value for you. Saint Roch's Kerbuccio is a full-throttled, mouth filling blend of Grenache and Carignan with a touch of Mourvedre. This wine wowed us and the critics with Decanter Magazine dropping a huge 96 Point score while noting it is "beautifully balanced" and "very polished." Rhone wine loving critic, Jeb Dunnuck called Kerbuccio, "Charming, medium to full-bodied, beautifully pure, and seamless on the palate, you can't go wrong with this wine."
By now you know the wines of Jean-Marc Lafage who brings us such popular hits as Bastide Miraflors, Narassa, Novellum and the recently featured the Lafage Nicolas Wine of the Month 2. This wine is from the Maury Sec appellation In the Languedoc-Roussillon, where many have flocked in recent years as they are able to consistently ripen grapes and find land which is not yet prohibitively expensive. David Phinney who gained fame creating The Prisoner and Orin Swift wines is a prime example of a winemaker who has bet big on this area of abundant sunshine and dark schist soils.
One would expect to pay 2-3 times the price for this wine if produced elsewhere. The delicious flavor, style and freshness of this wine will keep you coming back for more.
DECANTER 96 POINTS -"Lovely kirsch nose with bags of ripe and authentic Maury fruit. The palate is round, fleshy and warm with a delicious richness of oak, vanilla flavour and intense and complex finish. Lovely wine that's beautifully balanced with great typicity. Full-bodied and very polished."
*Gold Medal Winner 2018 Decanter World Wine Awards*
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS -"Another great vintage for the cuvée, the 2016 Maury Sec Kerbuccio (75% Grenache, 20% Carignan, and 5% Mourvèdre) is loaded with character and reveals a deep purple color as well as notes of black and blue fruits, new saddle leather, exotic herbs, and tobacco. Charming, medium to full-bodied, beautifully pure, and seamless on the palate, you can’t go wrong with this wine."