- Item #: i_352093Bottle Size: 750mlThe black marl and friable schist soils of the Mas Las Cabes estate are farmed organically by the Gardiés family. The wine this careful cultivation yields is true to its origin with subtle liquorice and olive notes on the nose and a generously fruity and mildly tannic palate.
- Item #: i_345527Bottle Size: 750MLeROBERT PARKER 96 POINTS: "Scheduled to be released in February of next year, the 2012 Hermitage Ex Voto Blanc is similar to the classic Hermitage Blanc, yet ratchets the intensity up a notch. Acacia flowers, brioche, caramelized peach, quince and even a kiss of mint all emerge from this full-bodied, layered, concentrated white that has fabulous mid-palate depth and a blockbuster finish. Drink it anytime over the coming two decades."
- Item #: i_333549Bottle Size: 750MLThe Bonfils family, owners of the historic Château de Vaugelas in Corbières and Château Millegrand in Minervois, continue to expand their influence in the Languedoc with their recent commitment to the region's most important white wine. This time, instead of purchasing a domaine, Bonfils Père et Fils built a state-of-the-art winery in the picturesque fishing village of Mèze that is devoted exclusively to the production of Picpoul de Pinet.
Bonfils' hands-on CEO/Director of Winemaking, Xavier-Luc Linglin, believes that in order to ensure consistent balance of ripeness and acidity, it's necessary to source from a broad palette of micro-terroirs. Over the past decade, XL has forged relationships with several conscientious independent growers in Picpoul de Pinet's six communes, and with the chefs de cave at cooperative wineries in Pomérols and Montagnac. Cooperative wineries account for approximately 80% of the appellation's production as most of the area's growers understand the challenge of consistency and choose the safer communal option. Freshness (fraîcheur) and bright acidity are essential in Picpoul's role as the requisite accompaniment to the oysters of the neighboring Thau Basin. L'Etang de Thau is one of the finest sources for shellfish on France's Mediterranean coast and Mèze is the Languedoc's oyster capital.
The nose is a definite "wow!" moment-- simply beautiful with floral and mineral notes, clotted cream, lanolin, lime and mixed citrus and sea spray. The palate is viscous and rich, loaded with stone fruit flavors, peach, white pear, as good acidity keeps it from flabbiness. Pair with fruits de mer this spring and summer, or a cheese plate or simply sunlight and good company.
- Item #: i_350734Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 Points"One of those values that almost seems too good to be true." - Jeb Dunnuck
"This estate, which has created these custom cuvees with its importer Eric Solomon, has been on fire, producing gorgeous wines, whether they be white or red." - Wine Advocate
"I suspect, the finest vintage for this cuvee to date." - Jeb Dunnuck
The 2016 Bastide Miraflors by Domaine Lafage has just been released and is unquestionably one of the greatest values in the wine world. We have written several times about how special these wines are and the unbelievable quality to price ratio. We have sold thousands of bottles of Bastide Miraflors, making it one of our best-selling wines in the store. Once again, this vintage outperforms the competition and equals or perhaps slightly betters the fantastic 2015. This is full-bodied with lush, fully ripened dark fruit flavors which are deeply satisfying. It's hard to believe how good this wine is for the price.
Jeb Dunnuck awarded the previous vintage 94 Points as a reviewer for Robert Parker's Wine Advocate. After tasting the 2016, he enthusiastically awarded this 94 Points again calling it, "One of those values that seems too good to be true." He further stated Bastide Miraflors possesses, "Full-bodied, layered mouthfeel, sweet tannins, and sensational purity." We are in full agreement here. This wine boasts a profile that epitomizes the term, "crowd pleaser."
Domaine Lafage has created custom cuvees with its importer Eric Solomon and is producing absolutely gorgeous wines. Today, we are able to offer this fantastic, opulent beauty for under $13.00 each! We really enjoy this wine which has become one of our customer's favorite red blends in the store.
This great value is delicious and destined to be your new everyday house red!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "A wine that almost always over-delivers, the 2016 Côtes du Roussillon Bastide Miraflors is, I suspect, the finest vintage for this cuvée to date (it’s in the same league as the off-the-charts 2015). A blend of 80% Syrah and 20% Grenache from Lesquerde and Saint Martin de Fenouillet (both in the northern part of the Roussillon), aged all in older barrels and concrete tanks, it boasts rockstar notes of ripe blackberry fruits, spice, dried garrigue, and hints of chocolate. Possessing a full-bodied, layered mouthfeel, sweet tannins, and sensational purity, it’s another one of those values that almost seems too good to be true. Drink it any time over the coming 3-4 years."
- Item #: i_345608Bottle Size: 750MLMade from white wine grapes that are left to macerate with their skins on, instead of separating the pressed juices from the skins to preserve clarity and avoid tannins. The result is a pour with a unique amber hue, tannins that grip your mouth, and flavors and aromas that range from musk to mushrooms to orange Creamsicle.
- Item #: i_300109Bottle Size: 750MLYves Leccia has a certain presence and noble bearing to him, much like his wines. In France they have often been referred to as the “Rolls-Royce” of Corsican wines, a reputation earned after nearly 30 years of making consistently elegant and sophisticated wines.
90% Niellucciu, 10% Grenache average age of vines is 20 to 40 years.
Raised in a small village in the heart of Patrimonio, Yves worked alongside his father in the vines and cellar at the earliest age he could. The Leccias have been making wine from some of the finest terroirs of Patrimonio for countless generations, and there was never the least doubt in Yves’ mind that he would continue the tradition. Originally working alongside his sister, he decided to branch off on his own in 2004 and focus on the single terroir he felt was the top in Patrimonio. This terroir, “E Croce,” sits on a thin chalk soil above a thick bedrock of pure schist, facing the gulf of St. Florent. Yves is a firm believer in the idea that if you want something done right you need to do it yourself, and thus he tends to his vines alone and works the cellar by himself as well. He keeps his yields low, knows when to harvest, and knows how to let E Croce express itself in the wines. Not a single bottle comes out of the domaine that isn’t meticulously looked after from start to finish.
- Item #: i_333477Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of Grenache, Syrah, and assorted Bordeaux varietals
WINEMAKER NOTES - Opaque with ruby accents, the wine is intensely perfumed with aromas of vivid wild berry, warm spice, plum, kirsch, lavender and subtle oak nuances. The entry is juicy and penetrating with rich flavors of ripe blackberry, racy currant and blueberry that generously coat the palate. Easy drinking, the finish is long and clean with just the right amount of polished tannins to keep the fruit in focus.
- Item #: i_313610Bottle Size: 750mlMaison Louis Latour is one of the most innovative producers in Burgundy whilst maintaining its traditional image. With a view to expanding the business in 1979, the valley of the Ardèche river with its clay and limestone-based soils was chosen as the ideal location to produce a top-quality Chardonnay wine. The Chardonnay d'Ardèche is aged in stainless steel vats for approximately 10 months. It is a fresh and easy to drink wine. Crisp, clean and delicious with outstanding complexity for the price, Latour’s Ardeche delivers a basket full of sundry autumn apple and dried orchard fruit flavors. Refreshing and invigorating, here’s the perfect after work “pick-me-up” that delivers way beyond the wine’s meager price point. No oak or butter, just a delightful glass of Chardonnay at your disposal that’s perfect for snackies and light hors d’oeuvres!
- Item #: i_344309Bottle Size: 750MLThe wines of Domaine Maestracci feel like the long-lost cousins of reds from Gigondas or Beaumes-de-Venise, separated by 150 miles of land and 150 miles of sea. This irresistibly wild cuvée is a blend of the indigenous grapes Niellucciu and Sciaccarellu, giving it a subtly tart, bright cranberry lift; and more common, southern French grapes, which impart notes of iron, tobacco, black cherries, and pepper. This soulful red may be our best bridge to the beautiful variety of native wines from the Île de Beauté.
- Item #: i_345499Bottle Size: 750MLThis is a very ripe style of wine with aromas of honey and apple on the palate. Give it just a light chill and enjoy it alongside anything from chicken to rich seafood dishes.
- Item #: i_351737Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - ""The 2015 Saint Drezery Prestige is a ripe, sexy beauty that gives up full-bodied notes of black cherries, melted licorice and roasted herbs. Like all the wines from this estate, it has lots of richness and texture, yet stays balanced, lively and pure. It's a year in and year out value that's a no-brainer purchase. It will drink beautifully over the coming 4-5 years (possibly even longer)."
- Item #: i_322196Bottle Size: 750MLIn the late 1990s, René Rostaing, a great Northern Rhone wine maker, purchased a property in the Côteaux du Languedoc near Nîmes. Located in a relatively cool microclimate with limestone soils, grows Syrah with small amounts of Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Rolle. The terroir yields a slight garrique character. It may be the best example yet of the Rostaing's ethic: elegant, yet concentrated; expressive, but subtle; hedonistic, but cerebral.
- Item #: i_345655Bottle Size: 750MLShatter comes from the brilliant mind of Dave Phinney who is the creative genius behind the Orin Swift wines. Phinney has developed an almost cult-like following with his string of successes, which began with "The Prisoner" red blend. Although this put him on the map, Phinney has continued to create highly sought after labels such as Mercury Head, Palermo, Papillon, Abstract and Machete. The secret to his success lies in his ability to make bold and juicy wines, which have silky smooth tannins and are approachable upon release.
More recently, Phinney has focused his efforts on making wines in the small town of Maury in the Roussillon region of France. Shatter is a joint venture with Phinney and Joel Gott. As always, this label is eye-catching and features an image of shattered glass. The labels are indicative of the wines Phinney makes; bold, forward and compelling. Shatter is a lush, opulent and rich wine made from Grenache, which will satisfy those who enjoy his other wines as it is definitely made in his "house style."
A collaboration between Napa's Joel Gott and Dave Phinney, the deeply-colored 2015 Cotes Catalanes is composed of 100% Grenache grown in the black schist soils of Maury. Aged in French oak, this wine is expressive with aromas of Kirsch, plum, blackberry, toasted spice, and hints of vanilla bean which draw you in. On the palate, this wine is full-bodied with a mélange of rich red and dark fruit flavors framed by silky smooth tannins.
- Item #: i_321133Bottle Size: 750MLThis was one of the easiest decisions we made all year! Yes! Yes!! Yes!!! We know the Tariquet is sure to please with its abundant fruit and snappy, crisp textures. Think pure lime and green apple, with hints of guava or kiwi. The Grassa family has owned Domaine du Tariquet in Armanac since 1912, but in 1982 they made the radical decision to bottle most of the grapes on the property as table wine, not a distilled brandy. Tariquet was the first producer in the region to make a commercial wine from the local Colombard & Ugni Blanc grapes and because these grapes oxidize quickly, Tariquet harvests at night directly into temperature controlled fermentation tanks that are rolled into the vineyard. No oxidation is possible, just pure freshness. Just five years later in 1987, winemaker Yves Grassa was named Winemaker of the Year at the largest competitive tasting event in the world, London’s International Wine Challenge.
- Item #: i_333985Bottle Size: 750MLWe are excited to announce the arrival of our allocation of the great red wines of Domaine Tempier. Regarded as perhaps the most profound and well known example of Mourvedre in the world, Domaine Tempier is the reference point for quality red wine production in Provence.
These wines are a special treat and just another reason why customers come to frequent Hi-Time. Domaine Tempier was "discovered" by renowned importer Kermit Lynch who recognized the wines as being singular wines of intensity and depth. Of course, we are great fans of Kermit Lynch and his name on a wine is a harbinger of great things to be found inside the bottle.
Although Provence is best known for its thirst quenching roses which tourists enjoy on holiday, it is the Mourvedre based blends of Bandol which capture our attention. Bandol is located between Toulon and Marseille in a favored spot inland of the nearby sandy beaches. Situated in a natural amphitheater, the vineyards are blessed with abundant sun and enough sea air to cool the vines during the heat of summer. Here, the late-ripening Mourvedre thrives, achieving ripeness and distinction. Aromatically expressive with dark fruit flavors and terroir-driven complexity, these wines are enticing.
Domaine Tempier produces the Bandol Rouge bottling as well as three single-vineyard wines. La Migoua, La Tourtine, and Cabassaou. All of the wines are full-bodied and seem to inhabit a different level of purity, structure and depth. They also have the ability to evolve over time, gaining complexity with time in the cellar.