- Item #: i_352536Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 97Wine Spectator: 97Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "Another perfect wine from this brilliant estate is the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which matches the otherworldly 2007. A classic blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre and 10% Syrah brought up all in old foudre, this beauty's deep purple color is followed by a mammoth bouquet of kirsch liqueur, black currants, blueberries, Asian spices, and garrigue. Full-bodied, concentrated, and powerful, it nevertheless is as graceful as a ballerina on the palate and has ultra-fine tannins, a silky, seamless texture, and a finish that just won't quit. Hats off to vigneron Paul-Vincent Avril!"
ROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is full-bodied but balanced, with plenty of richness and concentration but also a certain paradoxical lightness. It offers complex garrigue and anise notes, a blend of cherry and raspberry fruit, a silky texture and a long finish that shows no sign of the wine's 15.8% alcohol. For technocrats, the wine's pH is 3.7, which is sufficient acidity to maintain a fine sense of balance. This lovely wine should drink well for at least two decades. Together with the 2015 and the 2017, it will be a compelling trio of wines to follow over the years."
DECANTER 98 POINTS: "Yields are always low at Clos des Papes, but this was Vincent Avril's biggest harvest since 2007, with yields of 25hl/ha. A tasting of various different blends highlighted the part played by each main variety, but the final blend shows a young wine that is already aromatically harmonious, bright and detailed. It's fuller-bodied than an average vintage, deep yet fresh. It has a powerful tannic and acidic framework this year, but the wine is very well balanced and very long, with a sublime freshness. An effortlessly brilliant Clos des Papes."
- Item #: i_353319Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 98 - 100 POINTS - "Jean-Louis Chave had done some preblending of the 2017 Hermitage at the time of my visit, meaning several parcels had already been combined with others, so there were fewer components to taste. A sample that included some L'Ermite, Les Beaumes and Péléat was fragrant, loaded with peppery spice and came across as slightly open-knit (93 - 95). A second component, mostly Le Méal, was richer and riper-tasting, with lush fruit and hints of roasted meat (97 - 99). Finally, a sample Jean-Louis described as "more the core of the blend" (mainly Les Bessards) was simultaneously firm and generous, with notes of crushed stone, cassis and licorice."
- Item #: i_350726Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "A wine that might surpass the 2009 and 2010 is the 2015 Hermitage La Chapelle, which has more than a passing resemblance to the 1990. This inky black/blue-colored Hermitage offers an off-the-charts array of blackberries, blueberries, crushed rocks, wood smoke and charred meats. Thick, unctuous, full-bodied and incredibly layered, with sweet tannin, it's a tour de force that’s going to have three to four decades of longevity."
- Item #: i_351353Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96-98VINOUS 96-98 POINTS - "Dark purple. A highly expressive, mineral-accented bouquet evokes fresh blackberry and blueberry, candied flowers, incense and exotic spices. Sweet, palate-staining black and blue fruit liqueur and violet pastille flavors are complicated by suggestions of cracked pepper and bitter chocolate; a spicecake nuance gains strength with aeration. Steadily building tannins add shape and grip to the extremely long, incisive finish, which emphatically repeats the floral and mineral notes. I wouldn't be surprised to see this wine turn out as well as the amazing 2015 version."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "The flagship 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle is slightly more focused and concentrated, yet is still one sexy red that shines in the vintage. Inky colored, with loads of toasted spices, smoked meats and graphite characteristics, it has full-bodied richness, a terrific core of ripe Syrah fruit, fine tannin, and a great finish. Give it 2-4 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Winemaker Jacques Devernois likens the 2016 Hermitage La Chapelle to a woman’s red dress, calling it charming and flashy. It looks like it will appeal young, as this prospective sample had ample concentration but was also supple in feel. Hints of smoke, crushed stone and pencil shavings frame cassis fruit in this full-bodied and creamy-textured wine. It finishes long, with hints of vanilla and great freshness. (JC)
- Item #: i_353789Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-100Wine Spectator: 97Vinous Media: 93-95Jeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Reserve it unquestionably one of the wines of the vintage. Offering incredible spice, violets, roasted meats, black licorice, cassis and incense, this full-bodied beauty is as ethereal and elegant as they come, yet packs huge amounts of intensity, depth, and length in its perfectly balanced personality. Possessing ultra-fine tannin, a layered mid-palate and a great finish, it’s surprisingly already accessible but will cruise for two decades given its balance and purity. I can’t think of another vintage from Jean-Paul that shows this style of elegance and finesse."
WINE ADVOCATE 97-100 POINTS - "Tasting just like the Les Trois Source (they come from the same terroir), yet with just another level of polish and purity to its tannin and fruit, the sensational 2015 Châteauneuf du Pape Reserve offers layers of black raspberries, blueberries, crushed violets and black licorice. Thick, unctuous, layered and multi-dimensional, it’s a hard (and expensive) bottle to find, but is certainly one of the most singular and impressive wines made in the world."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "This is well-packed and intense, with a wide range of blueberry, blackberry, boysenberry and raspberry pâte de fruit notes laced with anise, black tea and singed mesquite details. Despite the density, this is remarkably refined, with graphite and chalky minerality deftly stitched throughout. Very long. Best from 2020 through 2045. 200 cases made, 50 cases imported."
- Item #: i_353791Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "My wine of the vintage is the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Reserve, which is in the same league as the other greats from this estate including the 2001, 2003, 2005, 2010, and 2016. Revealing a deep purple color as well as a massive bouquet of crème de cassis, violets, graphite, black licorice, and hints of pepper garrigue, it hits the palate with a massive array of fruit, full-bodied richness, no hard edges, and enough sweet tannins to warrant another 5-7 years of bottle age. Based all on very old vine Grenache from sandy soils just across the street from the domaine (the Trois Source has a large portion of its blend from a similar terroir), brought up all in foudre, it’s a singular, heavenly wine from Jean-Paul Daumen that’s going to go down as one of the greats from Châteauneuf du Pape."
WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "