- Item #: i_350312Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93 + POINTS: "The 2016 Lirac Domaine du Clos de Sixte is a terrific wine, easily the rival to many Châteauneufs from across the river, starting with its alluring aromas of flowering garrigue and ripe cherries. A blend of 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah and 15% Mourvèdre, this full-bodied wine is lush and concentrated on the palate, then turns velvety on the long finish. I'd treat it like a Châteauneuf du Pape in terms of cellaring: hold it for a few years, then drink it over the next 15. - Joe Czerwinski" - Robert Parker's Wine Advocate (Issue 233, October 2017), 93+ pts
Alain Jaume Domaine du Clos de Sixte Lirac is made from 50% Grenache, 35% Syrah, 15% Mourvedre
- Item #: i_351699Bottle Size: 750mlDecanter: Score above 95 pointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Cornas Les Vieilles Vignes is cut from the same mold yet has a touch more tannins as well as mid-palate density. Notes of crème de cassis, blueberries, camphor, toasted spice, and smoked game all soar from the glass, and it's full-bodied, power-packed, yet elegant and seamless on the palate. Its wealth of fruit largely conceals plenty of underlying structure, and while it's already fun to taste, give bottles 4-5 years and enjoy over the following 10-15 years or more. The old vine cuvée comes from the Combe, Patou, La Côte, Les Mazards, and Chaillot lieu-dits, from 60+-year-old vines, was 80% destemmed and spent 20 months in 15-20% new French oak."
DECANTER 96 POINTS - "Vines with an average age of 60 years from lieux-dits Combe, Patou, La Côte, Les Mazards and Chaillot provide the fruit for this Cornas. It spends 20 months in barriques, around 20% new. There are multiple layers to the aromatic palate: rosemary, thyme, herbal bitters, blackberry, blackcurrant and loganberry. A medium-bodied, concentrated but unforced wine with no excessive extraction, a subtly spiced finish and sinewy, brushed tannins. Detailed, focussed, structured and textural, this is captivating and true to its terroir."
- Item #: i_345742Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 95-96JAMES SUCKLING 95-96 POINTS - "Dark, spicy and stony aromas with a smoky and intense mineral edge, some garrigue herbs, blackberries and ripe plum fruits. A sense of deep-set tension in a succulent array of black-fruit flavors with a long driving thread of tannins."
- Item #: i_353121Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine la Barroche is a family estate that has been passed down from one generation to the next since the 14th century. Julien’s father, Christian Barrot, is passionate about viticulture and has taken meticulous care of the family’s 12.5 hectare of vines since the early 1970’s. Until Julien joined his father back in 2002, all of the wine had been sold in bulk to negociants. Now, half of the Grenache vines are more than 100 years-old and are some of the oldest found in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Julien has moved to completely organic viticulture (not certified) and his father is still following his passion and continues to work in the vineyards. Taking all of his father’s work to the next level, Julien is now vinifying each grape variety and some parcels separately, studying and learning his holdings parcel by parcel.
The 2017 Domaine La Barroche Chateauneuf-du-Pape offers a singular wine personality, a delicate alchemy of spices and well-ripened black fruits, a delight for the senses.
- Item #: i_351780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Located at the foot of the village of Rasteau between the towns of Orange and Vaison-la-Romaine, Domaine Beau Mistral is comprised of 28 hectares (70 acres) covering several appellations from the southern Rhône Valley and is rightly situated next to such famous crus from the region such as Châteauneuf du Pape and Gigondas.
After being passed through destemming machine, the grapes are added to tanks where the temperature is closely monitored throughout the fermentation, which lasts several weeks. Pumping-over and some gentle punching-down take place in order to preserve the wine’s fruit and suppleness.
Ageing: 100% in tank.
Food pairing: This wine pairs exceptionally well with red meats and dishes such as roasted veal with morel mushrooms, herb-crusted ribs and cheeses.
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "With its complex aromas of spice and red fruit, the 2016 Cairanne Les Garrigues is a knockout. Plus, it's medium to full-bodied, plump and succulent, with supple tannins and terrific freshness. It never seems heavy or alcoholic. Drink now to 2025."
- Item #: i_350860Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "A similar blend, the 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Boisrenard checks in as 66% Grenache, 12% each of Syrah and Mourvèdre, and the balance a mix of permitted varieties, that saw 10% new oak. It has a thrilling bouquet of black cherries, cassis, bouquet garni, scorched earth, and graphite. Tasting like a Grand Cru Burgundy with its tension, purity, and elegance, it has building tannins, terrific concentration, and a great finish. Still tight, backward and reserved, hide bottles for 4-5 years if you can. It's going to be long-lived."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Mostly (66%) Grenache, with smaller amounts of Mourvèdre and Syrah (12% each), and tiny amounts of the other permitted varieties, the 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Boisrenard is inky in color, with aromas that hint at toasted coconut, black cherries and chocolate. It's a rich, decadent, full-bodied sexpot of a CdP that possess admirable concentration, a wonderfully creamy-silky texture and a long, long finish."
- Item #: i_353886Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Even better, the 2017 Rasteau Les Argiles Bleues (80/20 Grenache and Syrah) just screams Rasteau with its ripe, chocolaty dark fruit and scorched earth aromas and flavors. It’s rich, has tons of minerality, medium to full body, and a great finish. It’s capable of lasting for over a decade."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Could the 2017 Rasteau Argiles Bleues be even better than the excellent 2016? It's certainly a big step up from the regular 2017 bottling. Ripe notes of cola, plum and dried spices lead into a full-bodied, expansive palate that's rich and velvety in texture, finishing long and layered. It should drink well for at least 6-7 years."
- Item #: i_354309Bottle Size: 750mlWine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "While the entry level cuvée, the 2017 Côte Rôtie Les Elotins is a powerhouse of a Côte Rôtie that knocks it out of the park. Offering a deep purple color as well as a blockbuster nose of black fruits, charred meats, graphite, and chocolate, it hits the palate with full-bodied richness, a dense, powerful mid-palate, and a great finish. It's not for those looking for ethereal, nuanced Côte Rôtie, but it's nevertheless a brilliant wine. This cuvée incorporates 3% Viognier and spent 22 months in once- and twice-used barrels."
- Item #: i_354308Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Including 3% Viognier, the 2017 Côte Rôtie La Brocarde was destemmed and brought up all in new French oak. As with the Côte Rozier release, it brings the power and offers a rich, full-throttle bouquet of black fruits, chocolate, Asian spices, violets, and spring flowers. With obvious minerality, full-bodied richness, and a big mid-palate, it stays beautifully balanced and textured. It's drinkable today yet will be better in 3-5 years and have two decades or more of longevity."
- Item #: i_345174Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 93WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The perfumed, floral, cherry herbal tea-scented 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Chante le Merle Vieilles Vignes isn't overly dark or dense, but captures the more fragrant, silky side of Grenache. It's full-bodied and ripe, with some faint, chocolaty overtones yet retains a sense of elegance and—dare I say it, in a wine that's labeled 15.5% alcohol—delicacy, finishing with silky tannins and ample length. It's a blend of 85% Grenache and 15% Mourvèdre, aged in foudres."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "In the same mold, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Chante Le Merle Vieilles Vignes offers loads of Provençal garrigue, smoked game, ground pepper, and traditional Châteauneuf du Pape goodness on the nose. It displays the vintage’s more forward, soft, supple style on the palate and is medium to full-bodied, with ripe tannins, moderate mid-palate depth, and a great finish. Based on 85% Grenache, 10% Mourvèdre, and 5% Syrah that was not destemmed and was brought up all in concrete, this is a classic Châteauneuf du Pape to enjoy over the coming 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_352106Bottle Size: 750ml80% Grenache and 20% Syrah from the Ventoux. This is a deep, bold, spicy red blend from Frédéric and Daniel Brunier, the fourth generation of their family to farm the land of Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Aged in oak foudres for 10 months. A serious, profound bouquet with a hint of liquorice. The palate reveals the spices of this new terroir, interwoven with herby garrigue flavours. Attractive structure, taut, elegant, compelling – you sense the freshness of the place. A true character.
- Item #: i_354344Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94-97 POINTS - "Another wine I suspect will be the best yet, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Le Grand Pin is the flagship of this estate and is 100% Grenache all from the northern section of the Pignan lieu-dit. It’s not destemmed and brought up in older demi-muids, and if there’s a Rayas look-alike out there, this is it. Black cherries, mulberries, pine forest, garrigue and mint nuances give way to a full-bodied, beautifully ripe, yet elegant, seamless 2016 that’s going to have two decades of prime drinking. Chapelle Saint Theodoric is the estate of well-known importer Peter Weygandt and the wines come from two lieux-dits; Pignan and Guigasse. Made by Baptiste Grangeon of Domaine de Cristia, the wines are not destemmed and brought up all in older barrels. If there’s a Rayas look-alike out there, this is it."
WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS - "Rosemary and pine notes accent dark fruit in this wine, which comes from 35-year-old Grenache vines in the Rayas lieu-dit. Boysenberry notes flood the full-bodied palate, bringing a smooth, velvety feel on the long, slightly warm finish. Winemaker Baptiste Grangeon opines, 'For me, the 2015 is one of the best wines of my life, but Peter [Weygandt, the owner] says the 2016 is better."
- Item #: i_354345Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "As I predicted last year, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape La Guigasse has smoothed out considerably and seemingly absorbed the stemmy elements I noted previously. Still not yet bottled, it now offers wonderful fruit purity and intensity. Raspberries and cherries are delivered on a full-bodied, rich and creamy palate that somehow avoids any sense of heaviness. It looks to be a stunning example of 70-year-old Grenache from the sandy lieu-dit of the same name."
- Item #: i_354069Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "Tasted from a one-year-old barrel, the 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape La Guigasse looks capable of rivaling (surpassing?) the 2016. Lovely garrigue-like nuances accent perfectly ripe black cherries in this full-bodied, silky, tremendously long effort. It's just a wonderful, sexy beast of a Grenache grown in sandy soils."
- Item #: i_353278Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "A prodigious effort, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Les Hautes Brusquieres Cuvee Speciale was yet to be bottled during my June visit. It offers up sweet floral aromas, hints of thyme and rosemary and bold cherry fruit. Full-bodied and creamy-velvety in texture, it's a hugely seductive mouthful of wine that I found difficult to spit. If it emerges from the bottling process looking like this, buyers will have huge smiles on their faces."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "Blackberries, crushed rocks, peppery herbs, and graphite notes all emerge from the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Hautes Brusquières, the most concentrated, rich, and opulent in the lineup. It has brilliant purity of fruit, ripe, polished tannins, and a great, great finish, all making for a brilliant 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape that will keep for 15+ years."
- Item #: i_353902Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98Jeb Dunnuck: 97-99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97-99 POINTS - "Brought up in new demi-muids, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Vieilles Vignes is a blend of 90% Grenache and 10% Mourvèdre (the Mourvèdre is from the Cristia lieu-dit). Unquestionably the greatest vintage of this cuvée ever made, this crazy good 2016 knocks it out of the park with its huge nose of currants, seaweed, incense, garrigue, and chocolate. Just a massive, deep, powerful wine, with sweet tannin and remarkable purity, it’s going to flirt with perfection and keep for 20-25 years. Bravo to the Maret family as well as consultant Philippe Cambie!"
WINE ADVOCATE 96-98 POINTS - "Turning to the darker side of the fruit spectrum, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Vieilles Vignes veers toward black cherries, cola and spice. It's full-bodied, rich and velvety, but it takes a different tack than the more open and charming Les Hautes Brusquières bottling. It should drink well for close to two decades. They're the twins you might've fantasized about, one bright and bubbly, the other brooding and mysterious. And you can have both."
- Item #: i_354134Bottle Size: 750mlDomaine Charvin Cotes-du-Rhone 'Le Poutet' 2018. Red wine. Southern Rhône, France. 81% Grenache, 7% Mourvèdre, 5% Carignan, 7% Syrah. Organic. This is classic Charvin and offers lots of kirsch and blackberry fruits, garrigue, white pepper and sappy herbs in its medium-bodied, polished, elegant, yet tight and firm personality.
- Item #: i_351375Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Wine Spectator: 95Decanter: 90 to 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape is another sunny, beautifully Provençal effort that has a huge nose of garrigue, raw steak, leather, truffle, and peppery spice. Medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and balanced, it’s not a massive Beaucastel yet it has a classic, Provençal, incredibly satisfying style that will benefit from 4-6 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The full-bodied, dense 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape seems a bit closed at the moment, but Asian five spice powder still brings plenty of complexity and nuance to the rich, dark fruit aromas and flavors. Multidimensional, layered and long, this is another terrific vintage for Beaucastel's main cuvée, perhaps falling just slightly behind the 2016 and 2018."
- Item #: i_353953Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95-97Decanter: 90 to 95 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Another in a string of top vintages, Beaucastel's 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape was produced from Grenache yields of only eight hectoliters per hectare ("normal" is about 28 hectoliters per hectare, according to Marc Perrin). The final blend I was shown is almost candied in its fruity intensity of raspberries and cherries, yet it has a potent underpinning of more savory elements, like tapenade, grilled meat and dried spices. Full-bodied, with fine, silky tannins, this shows tremendous length, reverberating with hints of crushed stone on the finish."
DECANTER 95 POINTS - "A tight and compelling tannic structure, muscular and knitted down at this stage, rich and concentrated with blackberries and olive paste. Needs a few years, but already you can discern the floral aromatics that overlay the core, and this is going to evolve into a beautiful Beaucastel."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape showed nicely with a deep ruby/purple color as well as classic Beaucastel aromas and flavors of darker currents, blueberries, smoked meats, black licorice and roasted herbs. With medium to full-bodied richness, a pure, clean, elegant texture, sweet tannins, and a great finish, this seamless, elegant Beaucastel will be approachable in its youth, yet still have 20+ years of prime drinking."
- Item #: i_321295Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "Also not yet bottled the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée des Felix offers a similar level of concentration, yet is more tight, structured, and elegant. Currants, scorched earth, leather, and ground pepper notes give way to a full-bodied, powerful, concentrated 2016 that's going to benefit from short-term cellaring yet cruise for two decades. This cuvée is 65% Grenache, 25% Mourvèdre, and the rest a mix of varieties, all aged in very old barrels."
- Item #: i_353128Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Features a core of gently steeped plum and boysenberry fruit, laced with a mouthwatering anise note and gilded with sandalwood and violet hints throughout. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre. Drink now through 2023."