- Item #: i_311555Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsGuigal is a reference point estate for the Northern Rhone Valley whose name is synonymous with quality. This quality extends from their entry level wines all the way up to the single vineyard Cote Rotie's.
The value priced Cotes du Rhone Rouge and Blanc are amongst our best selling wines as they consistently over-deliver.
Most Rhone red blends are Grenache dominant, but Guigal is based in the Northern Rhone where Syrah is king. This delicious wine is comprised of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mourvedre. It is rich, full-bodied and made in a crowd-pleasing style. The red received a 91 Point Score from Wine Advocate which called it a "ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers."
At the sale price of $12.99 each, it is a good time to stock up on this delicious daily drinker.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "There are an impressive 4.5 million bottles of the 2016 Cotes du Rhone, a ripe, silky wine that should bring pleasure to thousands of consumers. Cherries and raspberries mark the nose, while the medium to full-bodied palate adds nuances of cola, tree bark and spice. Often available at retail for under $15 per bottle, it represents a terrific value."
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "As with the white, the quality of the basic Cotes du Rhone is more than noteworthy, especially when you consider the quantity produced. From a great, great vintage for the Southern Rhone, the 2016 Cotes du Rhone shows an upfront, sunny style as well as Provencal notes of spiced red and black fruits, ground pepper, and garrigue. Drink this medium to full-bodied, ripe, sexy effort over the coming 4-6 years. It will evolve even longer."
- Item #: i_352527Bottle Size: 750mlJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS
VINOUS 95 - 96 POINTS
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS
"The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Colombis is a thrilling Grenache that offers both richness and elegance. Awesome notes of currant, blackberries, garrigue, and crushed flowers all flow to a full-bodied wine that has ultra-fine tannins, not a hard edge to be found, incredible purity, and a great, great finish. It’s a riveting example of Grenache that can be drunk today or cellared for 10-15 years." (JEB DUNNUCK)
- Item #: i_354015Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 94 Points
WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Jaboulet's 2017 Hermitage La Maison Bleue is flat-out sexy stuff, full-bodied, plush and generous without being overripe or unstructured. Licorice, cassis and Asian five-spice powder burst from the glass in a complex whirl of scents and flavors. Sourced from the eastern end of the appellation, it offers immediate gratification and admirable quality at a fraction of the price of the La Chapelle."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "There are 2,000 cases of the 2017 Hermitage La Maison Bleue, which is all from the more limestone and loamy soils on the eastern side of the appellation. Aged in 15% new barrels and demi-muids, it has a youthful, fruit-forward, even sexy profile as well as terrific notes of black raspberries, melted licorice, truffles, violets, and bloody meat. It’s young and unevolved, with beautiful depth of fruit, and it’s undeniably better than many vintages of La Chapelle from the 1990s and 2000s."
- Item #: i_351949Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 94James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 96
JEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "The 2,000-case 2018 Hermitage Maison Bleue comes from the eastern side of the appellation and is a much more fleshy, opulent wine compared to the more mineral-laced La Chapelle. Jammy blackberry and cassis fruit, notes of ground herbs, graphite, and violets, full-bodied richness, beautiful concentration, and a great finish all make for a compelling Hermitage. It’s going to benefit from 4-5 years of bottle age."
WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "The 2018 Hermitage La Maison Bleue offers up aromas of mocha, raspberries and a hint of black olive. It's full-bodied, velvety and plush, with a finish that's marked by hints of maple syrup and a slightly open-knit quality. It should drink well for at least a decade after release."
- Item #: i_334043Bottle Size: 750MLDECANTER 90 POINTS - "Deep red cherry and spiced berry notes on the nose. This has a nice mouthfeel where the soft tannins subtly coat the mouth. There's spice and soft, chewy, jammy fruit on the palate. It's not overly layered but it's balanced and enjoyable packing a punch in terms of fruit flavour but doesn't feel heavy on the palate."
Sourced exclusively from family farms that are increasingly practicing sustainable farming. 50% of the fruit is declassified Cotes du Rhone-Villages (including the elite hamlets of Cairanne and Plan Dieu). Clay and calcareous soils.
60% Grenache, 40% Syrah
Aged in 20% large older barrel and 80% in stainless tanks
Northern style Cotes du Rhone, with beautiful fresh Syrah character. Notes of wild berries, white pepper, lavender and cherries. This balanced red finishes with incredibly juicy Grenache love.
- Item #: i_351917Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Moving to the Châteauneuf-du-Pape from bottle, the 2016 vintage was described as having the power of 2010 and similar to yet fresher than 2007. The 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape offers a great bouquet of black raspberries, tapenade, crushed violets, and spring flowers, and shares lots of similarities to the Chaupin cuvée (and it’s less expensive!). Full-bodied, incredibly elegant and seamless, it might be the finest traditional cuvée ever produced from this estate."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape exhibits more dark fruit than I would've expected, with black cherries, black olives and tar all mingling on the nose. In the mouth, the blend of 70% Grenache, 15% Mourvèdre, 10% Syrah and 5% Cinsault is full-bodied, rich and velvety, with a lush, lingering finish. Easy to drink now, it should age for at least a decade just on its sheer concentration and ripeness. Although I showed up considerably late for my appointment with the brother-sister team of Christophe and Isabelle Sabon, Christophe wore his customary, irrepressible smile. The French soccer team was ahead in their World Cup match, and he was showing off the domaine's stellar 2016s. "It's my father's 50th harvest," he said. "And he thinks it's the best. It's incredible because you have power, finesse and acidity."
- Item #: i_351741Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94-96 POINTS - "Incorporating 30% stems and brought up in foudre and demi-muid, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Cuvée Chaupin is just a gorgeous wine that offers a perfumed bouquet of kirsch, blueberries, spring flowers, graphite, and crushed rocks. It's elegant and medium to full-bodied, with the purity of the vintage and a great finish. It’s not going to match the top vintages of this cuvée, but it’s going to drink spectacularly well in its youth and evolve nicely for 10-15 years."
WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "Tasted from a single foudre representing the La Crau Est lieu-dit, the 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Chaupin comes across as even richer and creamier than the 2015, yet with brighter acids and similar spice. Red fruit lingers, morphing toward chocolate as the finish goes on and on. Christophe Sabon describes the 2015s as well balanced and says, "They're not as intense as '16 or '10, but very interesting." He says he's aiming to achieve balance between power, elegance and ripe tannins. For me, the 2015s fit these criteria well at this estate. He adds, "To keep Grenache alone, you must be on sandy soils." Those, of course, are the basis for the family's Cuvée Chaupin and their new Châteauneuf-du-Pape from Clos Saint Antontin."
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Delightful plum, raspberry and blackberry compote flavors form the core, with racy, graphite-edged structure running underneath. Dark anise and tobacco notes check in throughout. The long finish lets the fruit linger."
- Item #: i_353767Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The magnificent 2018 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes continues the string of successes under this label. While a bit less expressive on the nose than the other cuvées, it's impossibly voluminous on the palate. Full-bodied and expansive in the mouth, it's also rich and velvety, with ample tannic structure to support its almost overwhelming generosity. A whirl of mixed raspberries and blackberries join with salted licorice and dark chocolate, culminating in a long finish that combines more-ish salinity with the dusty essence of crushed stone."
JEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "The 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Cuvée Vieilles Vignes (only 30% destemmed) is more powerful than the Chaupin cuvée and has a rocking bouquet of blackberries, cassis, scorched earth, graphite, and licorice, that develops beautifully with time in the glass. Rich, full-bodied, concentrated, and layered on the palate, it has integrated acidity, present yet ripe tannins, and a beautiful finish. Pure class, it’s going to benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_354072Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "I love the 2018 Côtes Du Rhône Les Garrigues. It just screams Grenache with its beautiful, spicy red fruits, peppery garrigue, and floral aromas and flavors. Hitting the palate with medium to full-bodied richness, no hard edges, and a seamless texture, it displays the more charming, supple style of the vintage nicely, yet brings plenty of fruit and length. It’s ideal for drinking over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_353319Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 98 - 100 POINTS - "Jean-Louis Chave had done some preblending of the 2017 Hermitage at the time of my visit, meaning several parcels had already been combined with others, so there were fewer components to taste. A sample that included some L'Ermite, Les Beaumes and Péléat was fragrant, loaded with peppery spice and came across as slightly open-knit (93 - 95). A second component, mostly Le Méal, was richer and riper-tasting, with lush fruit and hints of roasted meat (97 - 99). Finally, a sample Jean-Louis described as "more the core of the blend" (mainly Les Bessards) was simultaneously firm and generous, with notes of crushed stone, cassis and licorice."
- Item #: i_322780Bottle Size: 750MLOver forty years of doing business in France and Italy have given Kermit Lynch a level of expertise that few in the wine industry can boast. Countless hours with growers in some of the most famous vineyards and cellars of Europe have offered more than just a casual look at what it takes to be a great grower, let alone a great winemaker. Kermit Lynch was the first to champion the benefits of unfined and unfiltered wines, long before they had become fashionable. This belief is really a matter of taste, and the proof has always been in the glass, offering a purer expression of fruit and an unadulterated reflection of the terroir.
Cotes du Rhone - "The growing success we have enjoyed over the last three vintages is proof enough that the KL Côtes du Rhône fits both the taste profile and quality standards that our customers have come to expect. Since 1929, this winery has been bringing local vignerons together from the outlying areas of Avignon in the Southern Rhône to produce delicious wines that epitomize the region's complex terroirs. Kermit works closely with winemaker Jean-François Pasturel to develop the blend. Pasturel is thrilled to be able to have the chance to produce a Côtes du Rhône he does not have to filter to death. It is his tête de cuvée, his pride and joy."
Primarily Grenache, with Syrah, Carignan, Cinsault, and Mourvèdre, the vineyards this wine comes from average 40 years in age. The nose exudes spicy red plum, mixed red berries, tilled soil and a touch of salted meat. The palate is all about fruit, sweet lovely fruit-- a plate of ripe red berries and cherries that are moderated by easy tannins. A touch of spice in the mid-palate leads to more fruit in the lengthy, tasty finish. Soft enough for the lasting heat of summer yet with enough grip for one more weekend barbecue or the first foods of Fall.
- Item #: i_353812Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Our wine of the month hails from the southeastern Rhône appellation of Ventoux, in the south of France. Our wine buyers tasted numerous potential candidates for this honor and immediately knew this was the one. And what pleasure this wine gives! This 100% Grenache is loaded with fresh, forward fruits and cascades across the palate with perfectly ripened, lush fruit flavors.
The bounty includes juicy red and dark fruits (think plum, raspberry and boysenberry) augmented by a gentle spice and hints of garrique. The mouthfeel is viscous and rich yet buoyant, nimble and fresh resulting in sheer pleasure for the palate.
Eric Bonnet, winemaker in the Courthézon commune (for La Bastide Saint Dominique, Châteauneuf du Pape, Côtes du Rhône, Cairanne) decided to create La Réserve Saint Dominique in order to offer his clients a selection of Rhône Valley Crus and wines to complement the current range he produces. The secret to the success of this cuvée of La Reserve Saint Dominique is sourcing high-quality grapes, which one can taste in every sip.
The vines for La Réserve Saint Dominique are 20-35 years old on a plot of land at the foot of Mont Ventoux at an elevation of 1500 feet. The higher altitude coupled with superb sun exposure produces grapes of exceptional quality rarely found at this price-point. And the commune is somewhat protected from the famous Mistral winds due to the Ventoux-Vaucluse-Luberon mountain range particularly Mont Ventoux, which looks down over the Rhône Valley to the west and Provence to the south and east.
With football in full swing and fall weather possibly making its way to our shores soon, this wine will work for both last-of-the-season heat waves and cooler climes and the foods that go with each.
La Reserve Saint Dominique is a delicious, crowd-pleasing wine available at a great price. This is one to grab by the case to enjoy with family and close friends.
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Ventoux Reserve Saint Dominique is a 100% Grenache, négociant bottling by this Châteauneuf-based producer, but it's seriously good juice. Raspberries, anise and black cherries provide ample complexity in this medium to full-bodied wine that's ripe, expansive and supple, with a long, mouthwatering finish. Drink it over the next 4-5 years."
- Item #: i_351137Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93-95 POINTS - "A beautiful wine in the vintage, the 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape reveals a deep ruby/purple color as well as stunning notes of blackcurrants, crushed violets, ground pepper, and cured meats. Rich, medium to full-bodied, and beautifully textured, it has ripe, present tannins and a great finish. It doesn't have the sheer richness found in a top vintage, yet it's complex, classic, layered, and long. In short, it's a beautiful wine that makes the most of this vintage."
- Item #: i_354118Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsWINE ADVOCATE 92-94 POINTS - "A blend of 50% Mourvèdre, 40% Syrah and 10% Grenache, the 2018 Lirac La Lorentine combines notes of cola, plums, blueberries and black olives on the nose. It's full-bodied, concentrated, silky and long, with a hint of licorice on the finish. It's a damn good-looking Lirac."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The same blend as the 2018, the 2017 Lirac La Lorentine has a deeper, richer nose of blackberries, melted licorice, and ground pepper. It's a more powerful, ripe, sexy wine that has loads to love. Drink it over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_354119Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "A good buy, the 2019 Côtes du Rhône from this great estate offers up a medium ruby color as well as an incredibly Provençal perfume of spiced red fruits, peppery garrigue, new saddle leather, and flowery incense. Medium-bodied, seamless, and elegant on the palate, it’s already hard to resist and should continue to put a smile on your face any time over the coming 2-4 years."
- Item #: i_351463Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Similarly colored to the classic cuvée, the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Quet is 80% Grenache and 20% Mourvèdre. It offers a huge, rich, powerful style that never goes over the top and stays balanced and graceful. Currants, toasted spices, caramelized beef, and exotic notes all flow to a massively textured, powerhouse of a wine that has a stacked mid-palate, a bombastic personality, and a great finish. It needs two to three years of bottle age but is an incredible, heady, powerful wine."
- Item #: i_351461Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "The 2015 Châteauneuf-du-Pape Tintot offers more black fruits, olive tapenade, charred meats and graphite, as well as a huge, concentrated, incredibly pure style on the palate. While the Quet is all about opulence and pleasure, this has a more focused, pure style, while not losing a beat on concentration and purity. I'd gladly put this up against Beaucastel's Hommage cuvée. Enjoy this incredible expression of Châteauneuf du Pape anytime over the coming 20-25 years."
- Item #: i_353200Bottle Size: 750mlNATURAL AND ORGANIC WINE <
This bottling from Domaine Gramenon’s Maxime-François Laurent is fresh and beautifully balanced, with a bouquet of blackberries, black cherries, chamomile, pepper, tobacco, and spices. A 70% Grenache—30% Syrah blend, Orpiment bears hints of the olive and savory trademarks of its northern Rhône full-Syrah cousins. It is drinking well already and will only get better with a few years’ time. This paired nicely with a butternut and spinach lasagna on a recent Tuesday night, but it is versatile enough to accompany a steak or pizza, too. Optimal with a slight chill.