- Item #: i_354279Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Steeped raspberry, plum and black cherry fruit flavors are held together with finely beaded acidity, while black tea and dried anise hints add range and nuance, showing latent depth and length. This grows on you. Counoise, Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre, Clairette, Bourboulenc, Roussanne and Grenache Blanc. Drink now through 2032."
- Item #: i_350090Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Brilliant ruby-red. Vibrant, sharply focused red fruit, floral, garrigue and exotic spice qualities on the highly expressive nose. Intense raspberry, bitter cherry, succulent herbs and candied lavender flavors show superb delineation and no excess weight. Finishes with impressive persistence, sneaky tannins and resonating floral and spice notes. This graceful wine should age effortlessly on its balance."
- Item #: i_333551Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 94-95VINOUS 94-95 POINTS - "Brilliant magenta. Potent, spice- and mineral-accented red fruits, succulent flowers and exotic spices on the highly perfumed, sharply delineated nose. Palate-caressing raspberry, bitter cherry, candied lavender and star anise flavors steadily deepen as the wine opens up. Manages to be both powerful and graceful, showing wonderful intensity and detail on a strikingly long, youthfully tannic finish."
- Item #: i_351422Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Wine Spectator: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsDECANTER 96 POINTS - "Grown on varied lieux-dits around the appellation on a mix of soils, this was fermented in concrete then aged for 24 months in foudre. All whole bunch, which is evidenced by the pleasantly stemmy aromatics. Very full-bodied and concentrated, savoury despite the oak, with bay leaf and thyme. Very tannic, quite hard on the palate in fact. It's well balanced despite the alcohol, thanks to its concentration and intensity. It's an outlying style due to its darkness, hardness and brooding character. It will be fantastic in time however. But wait."
- Item #: i_352800Bottle Size: 750mlDark berries, licorice, spice and a hint of tobacco and ash. While substantial in weight, it is soft on the palate. Perfect with roasted chicken, creamy fresh cheeses, grilled meats. Versatile enough to bring along to your next dinner party.
- Item #: i_352231Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96Decanter: Score above 95 pointsDECANTER 98 POINTS - "A tasting of five different barrels, drawn from 24 blocks across 19 lieux-dits, mostly schist terroirs in Ampuis and St-Cyr. It's almost 100% whole bunch in 2017, with a minimal 15% of new oak used. Gerine is ripe and harmonious, with intense, sappy fruits and muscular tannins. Fongeant is sleek, dark and elegant. Le Plomb/Le Truchet takes tannin from the first site, acidity from the second and displays a soaring fragrance of burnt herbs. Tartaras/Bonnivières/top of Fongeant has incredible freshness and tight, fine tannins. Lastly, La Landonne, Côte Blonde, Moutonne and Côte Rozier has intense, tight, saline tannins and juniper and liquorice-tinged dark fruits. The overall impression is a powerful, ripe, structured and very fresh Côte-Rôtie, very well balanced with bright acidity, that will age impressively."
VINOUS 96 POINTS - "Inky, bright-rimmed ruby. Sexy, mineral-accented aromas of ripe black and blue fruits, candied flowers, olive paste and exotic spices show outstanding clarity and lift. Sweet, pliant and energetic on the palate, offering deeply concentrated raspberry, cherry, cassis and floral pastille flavors that show surprising energy for their heft. A smoky mineral nuance drives the extremely long, youthfully tannic finish, which leaves behind a sexy floral note. All whole clusters. Drinking window: 2025 - 2035."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - " Just bottled, literally, the day before my visit, the 2017 Côte Rôtie nevertheless showed incredibly well, with loads of violets, pepper, game, framboise, and darker fruits. As Côte Rôtie as Côte Rôtie gets, this full-bodied beauty has ultra-fine tannins, intoxicating complexity and nuance, no hard edges, and a great finish. Give it 4-5 years of bottle age and enjoy over the following 20 years or more."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Cote Rotie was still in separate lots when I visited, yet I came away with remarkably similar impressions from the Gerine (fragrant charming and silky) and le Plomb (taut, intense and structural) as I did last year. A number of other lots will go into the final assemblage (Chavaroche, Fongeant, Lezardes and several more, probably including La Landonne). There's more cracked pepper and violets on the nose of the 2017 than the 2018 and also a touch more crispness and tension on the palate."
- Item #: i_311338Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95-97WINE ADVOCATE 95-97 POINTS - "The precise blend for this cuvée hadn't been finalized at the time of my visit, so the sample I tasted of 2018 Gigondas Les Racines was an approximation put together by the team at the estate. Marked by accents of blood orange and citrus zest, the raspberry fruit at the core of this wine is concentrated and ripe. Full-bodied and rich, yet silky, fine and elegant, it's a classic representation of this microclimate and its 75-year-old Grenache vines."
- Item #: i_351582Bottle Size: 750mlThis small family Domaine of 1.5 hectares is situated in the heart of the Saint-Joseph appellation, in Ardèche, the Northern section of the Rhône wine region in Southern France.Although her family had for many years supplied grapes to a large local négociant, Martine Rouchier and her husband, Christian, determined in 2010 to begin making their own wine. They immediately began converting their vineyards to organic viticulture, a process that they completed beginning with the 2013 vintage. By 2015, Martine and Christian were practicing not only completely organic and biodynamic farming and fermentation. but also fully “natural” winemaking, in that their Saint-Joseph is made entirely without added sulfur. Domaine Rouchier produces two cuvées parcellaires of 100% Syrah: Luc is a .5-hectare lieu-dit of vines planted in 1972 on the hills above St-Jean de Muzols. The vineyard lies on a west-facing slope at an elevation of approximately 250m in soil comprised of clay and schist. Chave is a 1-hectare lieu-dit planted with vines dating to 1958. With Western exposition, Chave lies on soil dominated by granitic gneiss. Both cuvées employ two weeks of whole-cluster fermentation in concrete over indigenous yeasts, punctuated with pigeage (punching down) and remontage (pumping over). The young wine is then aged over for 16-18 months in neutral (5-9 years) oak barrels of 228L . The finished wine is then bottled unfiltered and entirely without SO2.
- Item #: i_345036Bottle Size: 750MLOctober’s Wine of the Month is a fantastic Rhone blend from a tremendous vintage made by one of France’s great winemaking families. The Perrin family is best known as the proprietors of Chateau de Beaucastel, which is one of the great producers of Chateauneuf du Pape in the Rhone Valley. They are also pioneers in Paso Robles where they partnered with the Haas family to establish Tablas Creek and helped establish this region as a special place for Rhone-style blends. Add the fact that Beaucastel was chosen as Wine Spectator’s Wine of the Year and it’s safe to say the Perrin family knows a thing or two about making great wine.
The Perrins sourced grapes for this outstanding Côtes du Rhône from their premium village vineyards. Grenache is grown in clay/limestone soils adding bright blueberry and Kirsch notes. The Syrah comes from terraced vineyards of Vinsobres which are rich in quartz and marl, bringing a warming blackberry and spice character to the mix. Finally, the Mourvèdre adds plum flavors along with additional complexity and depth.
Famille Perrin’s Cotes du Rhone is a delicious wine and a terrific value, which beautifully expresses the 2017 vintage. The vines produced berries rich in phenolic compounds, expressive aromatics and deep flavors. This is a great everyday wine which is complementary to most any type of food and very enjoyable on its own.
Bright ruby in color with purple reflections. Aromatically expressive with notes of crushed violets, dark raspberries, cherries, blackberry and licorice. On the palate, this wine shows perfectly ripened fruit with Kirsch, blueberry, raspberry and plum and a hint of baking spice. The mouthfeel is generous yet balanced with beautiful, silky tannins. The overall impression is one that is harmonious with a wonderful polished texture, culminating in a surprisingly long finish. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre.
- Item #: i_311378Bottle Size: 750MLThe steep slopes of the northern Rhône present a challenging terrain where farming is only feasible through terracing. On these terraced slopes, the Faurys’ vines take full advantage of the southern and southeastern sun exposure, benefitting from optimum ripening. A combination of the predominately granitic soil, partial de-stemming (in about 70% of the grapes), soft crushing of the grapes with a pneumatic press, and temperature controlled fermentation offer a liveliness and freshness that one does not often find in wines from the northern Rhône. There’s a real attention to detail here, and nothing is done in haste.
- Item #: i_334089Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Châteauneuf Du Pape Puy Rolland (100% Grenache aged all in foudre) is similarly hued and has a classic Grenache nose of red and black cherries, peppery herbs, sappy flowers, and earth. In the more elegant, translucent, seamless style of the domaine, it’s still medium to full-bodied, has a seamless texture, silky (yet present) tannins, and a great finish. Drink this beautifully elegant, seamless Grenache over the coming 10-15 years."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - "Generous blackberry and raspberry flavors are concentrated but fresh in this varietal Grenache sourced from sandy soils. It's glossy and smooth on the palate, framed by ripe but persistent tannins that make it appealing already. The finish is long, nuanced by hints of bramble and sun-baked garrigue."
- Item #: i_353301Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS: "Attractive peppery and spicy nose with an air of complexity and real interest. Plenty of stony aromas, violets and blackberries. The palate has a fluid, supple build with plush ripe dark plum and blackberry fruit flavors amid muscular but resolved tannins. Drink now."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS: "Lively raspberry and blackberry coulis flavors pump through, lined with a mouthwatering anise note. The finish is streaked with singed apple wood details, leaving an energetic feel. Very solid. Drink now through 2027. 2,940 cases made."
- Item #: i_351140Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "On the darker side of the ledger, with currant and blackberry fruit laced with mesquite, bay leaf, iron and tobacco notes. A light smoldering charcoal hint through the finish melds with the fruit and other components. Best from 2020 through 2038. 83 cases made, 6 cases imported."
Francois Villard La Brocarde comes from vines planted on the Cote Blonde with up to 13% Viognier in the blend. The wine takes its name from the La Brocarde lieu-dit. The berries are whole cluster fermented and up to 30% of the grapes are destemmed. The wine is aged in between 80% new, French oak barrels to 100% new, oak, depending the character of the vintage. The wine spends close to 18 months in barrel before bottling. The production is quite small as only 100 cases are produced in an average year.
- Item #: i_351595Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A bright, fresh, mineral-driven style, with mouthwatering white pepper and rose petal notes gilding a core of damson plum and blood orange flavors. The long, sleek finish is mouthwatering. Drink now through 2030."
- Item #: i_353492Bottle Size: 750mlFleurs de Mai comes from very old Syrah vines planted by George Vernay on the upper plateau. Prior to being planted to vines, the vineyard was a peach orchard, and Fleurs de Mai references a variety of peach. This medium ruby-colored effort gives up plenty of exotic, peppery, almost tropical notes as well as blackberry and black raspberry fruits, medium body, fine tannins, and a sexy, incredibly gulpable style.
- Item #: i_311337Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Lots of violets and blue fruit with cinnamon and dark stony aromas. Baking spices, too. On the palate, there’s black fruit and an attractive, bitter-herb kick, with very dense tannins and a powerful, compressed feel. Lithe, juicy blue-fruit finish. Very focused, dense and long."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - " Also not yet bottled, the 2017 Gigondas Terrasses Du Diable is rocking stuff and has a mouthwatering sense of salinity and minerality as well as the classic kirsch, garrigue, and peppery aromas this cuvée always possesses. Medium to full-bodied, balanced, and nicely concentrated, with ripe tannins, it's going to keep for 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_354256Bottle Size: 750mlIt is made with 80% Grenache from the new vineyard blended with 20% Syrah from the Gramenon estate. The addition of Syrah has given the wine a darker, more mystic aroma and has added a shade of garnet to the colour too. The quality of this new vineyard is evident in the wines superb pitch; it has great vibrancy and is full of charming and attractive aromas and flavours, this is a Gramenon wine and it shows.
- Item #: i_354108Bottle Size: 750mlThough the domaines wines are all classified as Cote du Rhone besides the Vinsorbes, this longstanding organic Domaine is one of the Rhone Valley's gems. Their old-vine holdings spread throughout small overlooked parcels with vines ranging upwards of 100 years old shows a mastery of the terroir and absolute confidence in their wines. These are honestly some of the top wines in the Rhone with unrivaled purity of fruit and expression of terroir. We recently tried the Sierra du Sud, a rare example of Syrah from the Southern Rhone and one of the few we have seen along with Chateau Rayas Fonsalette Cuvée Syrah. Though the vines here are on the younger side, between 20-40 years old, there is a seriousness here with brooding and dense yet high-toned aroma of plum, cassis, spice box, and underlying minerality. The balance is incredible for a Southern Rhone Syrah and rivals some of the top Northern Rhone wines with some upfront appeal and structure for aging that isn't expected from a wine at this level. This Cuvee was not produced in 2018 due to hail destroying 50% of the crop, but is back in the excellent 2019 vintage, getting 4 out of 5 stars from famed Rhone writer John Livingstone-Learmonth. If Rhone is one of your go-to's, we highly recommend checking this out!
DECANTER 92 POINTS - "Inky-dark 100% Syrah from this renowned low-intervention producer in the Drôme. With a lovely airy purity and fresh, herby nose, it is surprisingly open given its youth, but with good underlying tannic structure. Dark fruit and a creamy, savoury Syrah palate, impressive grip and persistence. Organic; small quantities of sulphites added."
- Item #: i_353082Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97+ POINTS - "The 2017 Châteauneuf Du Pape Vieilles Vignes is a bigger, richer, more opulent wine. Beautiful notes of blackcurrants, scorched earth, graphite, and crushed violets, all flow to a full-bodied, Châteauneuf Du Pape that has a voluptuous, sexy texture, brilliant depth of fruit, fine tannins, and a purity of fruit that's hard to find in this vintage. It's a thrill a minute, and while it's approachable today, it will keep for 15-20 years."
WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "As usual, the Vieilles Vignes takes things to another level. The 2017 Chateauneuf du Pape Vieilles Vignes—a blend of 45% each Grenache (aged in concrete) and Mourvèdre (aged in new barriques), plus 10% Syrah (also in new wood)—features intense aromas of purple raspberries, black cherries and plums, plus the merest hints of vanilla and baking spices. Full-bodied, lush and creamy on the palate, it somehow remains balanced and fresh, with tremendous length on the finish. Tasted twice (once blind), with consistent notes."
- Item #: i_350063Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-99ROBERT PARKER 97-99 POINTS:-"The inky black-colored 2013 Côte Rôtie La Landonne is certainly one of the gems in the vintage, and it has more texture, depth and richness than just about every other wine out there. Charred fruits, black, black fruits, espresso, crushed rock and wood smoke all emerge from this full-bodied, concentrated Côte Rôtie that certainly shows a masculine style, yet still possesses incredible purity and elegance."
- Item #: i_350061Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97-99Jeb Dunnuck: 98-100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98-100 POINTS:-"On another level, and unquestionably the best of the three vintages, the 2015 Côte Rôtie La Mouline sports an inky purple color as well as an off-the-charts bouquet of black currants, smoked herbs, spring flowers, gamey meats, and acacia flowers. Massively concentrated, opulent, and as sexy as wine gets, it reminds me of the 1978 La Mouline and has perfection written all over it. If you can afford it, this is a magical, legendary wine in the making that will keep for 4-5 decades."
ROBERT PARKER 97-99 POINTS:-"Full-bodied and powerful yet elegant, the 2015 Cote Rotie La Mouline is potentially close to perfect. Espresso, grilled meat, caramelized plum and cassis pick up hints of vanilla and herbal-floral notes on the nearly limitless finish. I can’t wait to try this again next year."