- Item #: i_349955Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92-94Wine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS: "This is tightly coiled, with intense raspberry and cherry reduction notes waiting to unwind, but held in check for now by myriad licorice, iron, rooibos tea and singed alder details. Shows terrific cut and tension through the finish, revealing a blaze of minerality. Just needs some time to harmonize fully."
- Item #: i_349977Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 97WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS - "This delivers a lush, enticing blast of cassis and raspberry and boysenberry preserve flavors, carried by a silky structure that lets the fruit play out at length, giving adequate time for black tea, singed apple wood, dried anise and fruitcake notes to fill in throughout. Dreamy. Grenache. Best from 2020 through 2040."
- Item #: i_350198Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97Vinous Media: 95Decanter: 98 PointsJeb Dunnuck: 100 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS: "Another perfect wine from this brilliant estate is the 2016 Châteauneuf-du-Pape, which matches the otherworldly 2007. A classic blend of 60% Grenache, 30% Mourvèdre and 10% Syrah brought up all in old foudre, this beauty's deep purple color is followed by a mammoth bouquet of kirsch liqueur, black currants, blueberries, Asian spices, and garrigue. Full-bodied, concentrated, and powerful, it nevertheless is as graceful as a ballerina on the palate and has ultra-fine tannins, a silky, seamless texture, and a finish that just won't quit. Hats off to vigneron Paul-Vincent Avril!"
ROBERT PARKER 97 POINTS: "The 2016 Chateauneuf du Pape is full-bodied but balanced, with plenty of richness and concentration but also a certain paradoxical lightness. It offers complex garrigue and anise notes, a blend of cherry and raspberry fruit, a silky texture and a long finish that shows no sign of the wine's 15.8% alcohol. For technocrats, the wine's pH is 3.7, which is sufficient acidity to maintain a fine sense of balance. This lovely wine should drink well for at least two decades. Together with the 2015 and the 2017, it will be a compelling trio of wines to follow over the years."
DECANTER 98 POINTS: "Yields are always low at Clos des Papes, but this was Vincent Avril's biggest harvest since 2007, with yields of 25hl/ha. A tasting of various different blends highlighted the part played by each main variety, but the final blend shows a young wine that is already aromatically harmonious, bright and detailed. It's fuller-bodied than an average vintage, deep yet fresh. It has a powerful tannic and acidic framework this year, but the wine is very well balanced and very long, with a sublime freshness. An effortlessly brilliant Clos des Papes."
- Item #: i_350493Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS: "This is intense, with fig, blackberry and plum compote flavors rolling over one another, while worn leather, Turkish coffee and well-roasted mesquite notes form a ring around them. Overall this is rich and dense, yet there’s definition throughout. Only needs time to knit fully before delivering its peak experience. Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre. Best from 2020 through 2035."
- Item #: i_345248Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Features a solid streak of raspberry and red currant coulis flavors running through, with light lavender, anise and singed balsam wood notes filling in through the finish. Drink now through 2020. 4,500 cases made."
- Item #: i_333812Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS: "Features a dense core of steeped plum, blackberry and black currant flavors, supported by ganache, singed bay leaf and licorice root notes. Exhibits muscular grip on the finish, showing more than enough fruit for balance. Displays impressive depth and character for the vintage. Best from 2017 through 2025. 430 cases made." –JM
eROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS: "A big, rich, medium to full-bodied effort, the 2013 Gigondas Cuvee Valbelle is 90% Grenache and 10% Syrah that saw the same vinification and elevage as the three single vineyard releases. It offers classic notes of graphite, black currants, toasted spice and lavender, to go with a superb mid-palate, beautiful fruit intensity and a great finish. While slightly more approachable than the single vineyard releases it still will be better with short term cellaring and drink nicely through 2025."
- Item #: i_345165Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97-99Wine Spectator: 97WINE SPECTATOR 97 POINTS: "Dark and dense, with a baker's chocolate frame around an immense core of crushed plum, warm fig and boysenberry reduction flavors, while the back end brims with roasted apple wood, warm tar and licorice root notes. Will take some time to fully meld. Best from 2020 through 2040. 475 cases made." –JM
eROBERT PARKER 97-99 POINTS: "Another wine that might flirt with perfection is the 2015 Gigondas le Claux. It’s also 100% Grenache and comes from a site just across the road from the Hominis Fides cuvee. The soils here are slightly more limestone-based, and like all of the wine here, it’s fermented with no destemming and aged mostly in old barrels (20% is new). Camphor, currants, incense, graphite, crushed rocks and licorice all soar from this thriller and it has full-bodied richness, an incredible texture and a blockbuster finish. It will have 2-3 decades of overall longevity."
- Item #: i_350465Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Wine Spectator: 96WINE SPECTATOR 96 POINTS: "This is packed with rich, succulent flavors of fig, boysenberry and blackberry compote, layered with anise, ganache and toasted apple wood notes. The strong, grippy spine is well-embedded through the lengthy finish, while the fruit easily keeps pace. Best from 2019 through 2035. 475 cases made."
WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS: "Incorporating 10% Syrah, the Grenache-dominated 2015 Gigondas Cuvee Valbelle is another heavenly wine from Louis Barruol. Full-bodied, seamless and elegant, with lots of crème de cassis, crushed flowers, incense and white pepper, it has a touch less mid-palate depth than the single vineyards, but is impeccably balanced and will have two decades of longevity."