- Item #: i_351745Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Vouvray Le Mont Moelleux is clear, deep, pure and flinty on the intense but fine and coolish-mineral nose. Very distinctive! Lush and intense but also pure, vital and tensioned on the palate, this elegant and seductive Le Mont offers a straightforward drive and a highly complex and energetic finish with grip and great mineral tension. A gorgeous, crystalline, persistently salty and tightly woven Chenin with great complexity and energy. Very attractive already today!"
- Item #: i_351571Bottle Size: 750mlSince the Middle Ages, Fronton, just north of Toulouse, has been the home of the Negrette grape variety, which is nearly exclusive to the area. The region encompasses 2,300 hectares of vines dominated by dry heat and rocky soils and the landscape is marked by hills and valleys, ranging from 300 to 600 ft above sea level. The banks of the Tarn and Garonne rivers have particularly poor gravel soils. Vines grown in this area are forced to struggle and dig deeper for nutrients to establish a stronger root system. This gives the grapes very distinct flavors and they are commonly characterized as having notes of violets and licorice.
- Item #: i_302660Bottle Size: 750MLJean-Claude Pichot’s family is one of the oldest inVouvray, with origins as viticulturists and restauranteursdating back to 1739. The family cellars are located in thecharming village of Vouvray, in caverns hewn from therolling hills which were once quarried to provide stoneto construct the grand châteaux of the Loire. In fact, thePichot home is itself part house and part cavern, with adramatic hearth carved from the rock. Jean-Claude wasone of six sons, but the only one to continue the familytradition of vigneron.Tasting notes: golden raisins on the nose and on thepalate. Grape juicy, like table grape concentrate. Easyto drink, already well-balanced with some elements ofcloves, butter tarte tatin and a touch of maple sugar.Good fruit extension with some grapefruit and apple skinon the finish.
- Item #: i_353269Bottle Size: 750mlAromas of orange and lemon zest, wildflowers. Vibrant and precise, with a nervous tension throughout. Stone fruit, sea-salt, more citrus.
PAIRING SUGGESTIONS: Rich seafood; white meats; cream sauces
"A classic Sancerre, with a racy profile and a sea-salty finish. This very steep vineyard has barely any soil, so vines feed directly from the region’s solid chalk “mother rock” below." - NORTH BERKELEY IMPORTS
Fermented on indigenous yeasts in large, upright wooden fermentation tanks (from 25-36HL). Racked, then aged for one year in same wooden tank. Unfiltered.
- Item #: i_345150Bottle Size: 750MLÉric Chevalier is a rising star in the Nantais of the Loire Valley.In 2005, he decided to return to his hometown of Saint-Philbert de Grandlieu, just southwest of Nantes, and ended up taking over the family domaine, Domaine de l’Aujardière, the next year. Éric sustainably farms twenty-five hectares of vines, producing wines of great character and finesse. He found his future in his family’s past.
- Item #: i_351377Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94VINOUSMEDIA 94 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Les Argiles is bright, finely cut and remarkably nuanced. White orchard fruit, chalk, mint and white pepper give the Argiles a striking aromatic upper register. The Argiles, which emerges from clay-rich soils, impresses more with energy than the breadth I expected. Perhaps that will develop in bottle. This chiseled, finely-cut Chenin has a ton to offer. Bright saline notes punctuate the finish."
- Item #: i_351378Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96VINOUSMEDIA 96 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Les Bournais is a wine of mind-blowing complexity and nuance. So deep yet also weightless and effortless, Les Bournais dazzles from the very first taste. Dried flowers, lime, mint, lemon confit and tangerine oil hover on the palate in a breathtaking Montlouis endowed with tons of translucence and sheer character. Don’t miss it."
- Item #: i_345003Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93VINOUSMEDIA 93 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Choisilles is a blend from the Les Epinais, La Taille aux Loups and Clos au Renard lieu-dits. Dry and bracing in the glass, with tremendous energy, the Choisilles is beautifully delineated, with sweet floral notes and bright acids that round things out so well. Citrus confit, white flowers, chamomile and crushed rocks lead into the sculpted finish."
- Item #: i_300104Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93VINOUSMEDIA 93 POINTS: "The 2018 Montlouis Clos Habert is creamy and expansive in the glass, some of that coming from the tendre style and the higher residual sugar in this wine vis-à-vis some of the earlier bottlings in this tasting. Pastry, apricot, jasmine, baked apple, spice, lemon confit and light tropical accents give the Clos Habert tons of appeal.
- Item #: i_351337Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the western portion of the Sancerre appellation, Chavignol has a unique type of soil called, in French, “terres blanches.” The region is essentially a chalk plateau (the same vein as is found in Chablis) with clay and limestone soils. The top vineyards, ‘Monts Damnés,’ ‘Grande Côte,’ and ‘Les Culs de Beaujeu,’ are perched on steep hillsides with little topsoil. Cotat as a rule harvests by hand and very late, as pushing ripeness to the extreme is one element that gives these wines their weighty texture and complexity. While Cotat is not organically certified, his habits are more or less according to organic principles. He does not treat his vines with pesticides; uses only indigenous yeasts for fermentation; and follows the lunar cycle for racking. Wines are barrel-fermented in older demi-muids and aged in larger tonneaux. All wines are bottled unfined and unfiltered.
- Item #: i_352741Bottle Size: 750mlFrancois Cotat produces ageworthy Sancerre from his only 3 hectare estate at the heart of the prized Chavignol commune. Francois adopt a very traditional, non-interventionist approach. He racks according to the phases of the moon and the wines develop with age and, the very best vintages, can be cellared for more than 50 years.This 100% sauvignon blanc is grown on 45% steep slopes facing south / south-east. The nose is very ripe with green apple and tropical fruit aromas. The palate is dense and energized by crisp acidity. The balance is superb and the length amazing.
- Item #: i_351338Bottle Size: 750mlFrancois Cotat produces ageworthy Sancerre from his only 3 hectare estate at the heart of the prized Chavignol commune. Francois adopt a very traditional, non-interventionist approach. He racks according to the phases of the moon and the wines develop with age and, the very best vintages, can be cellared for more than 50 years.
With only 0.5 hectares dedicated to the production of reds and rosés, this is a very confidential cuvée. The vines are facing north and planted on a very rich limestone and clay soil. The wine is aged in stainless steel and stands somewhere is between freshness and greediness.
- Item #: i_333864Bottle Size: 750MLThese vines are 25 years old on average. It is a blend of many different parcels owned by Francois. The soil here is a mixture of silex, chalk and clay.
Very expressive nose. Fresh grapes, lemon and grapefruit aromas. Structured and very rich wine in the palate, which has the same aromatic range as the nose.
- Item #: i_351793Bottle Size: 750mlThis Chinon is the perfect fruity wine to start discovering Cabernet Franc from the Loire Valley. Nose exhibits aromas of red berries and sweet spices. Palate is structured with silky tannins, coming from the part-ageing in oak barrels. A very decent medium-bodied bottle for an immediate pleasure, perfect for the price.
- Item #: i_352940Bottle Size: 750mlIn only a few years, Domaine Guiberteau has become one of the most sought after domaines in Saumur, their wines already stringently allocated and found in the best restaurants in France.
AB organic certification
Organic (since 2003) Vinification: 100% de-stemmed, indigenous yeasts, no new oak except Arboises (80% new) and Brézé (40%), no fining, filtration if needed.
- Item #: i_353314Bottle Size: 750mlCuvée Ortus is only bottled in exceptional vintages
Selected juice is initially fermented as regular Sancerre Blanc, undergoes malolactic fermentation, but wine is aged in 400-L oak barrels, and the lees are stirred daily for a year. The wine is then racked into neutral cask where it ages and settles for an additional year.
Bottled unfiltered then aged for another year in bottle before release Only made in select vintages; only the 2003 and the 2005 have been released so far and now the 2015.
- Item #: i_315005Bottle Size: 750MLThere is perhaps no better match for a dozen oysters than this minerally Sancerre from one of the best producers in the region. The wine displays textbook Loire Valley Sauvignon Blanc, with bright acidity, smoke, citrus, and grassiness. It is Insanely addictive and so so good with shellfish! Hippolyte Reverdy's family has been making wine in the charming village of Verdigny, a commune of Sancerre in the eastern Loire, for many generations- perhaps as far back as 1600.
- Item #: i_353681Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS: "The 2018 Vouvray Le Mont Moelleux Première Trie is pure, deep and flinty on the concentrated nose, with very fine oak, toffee and potted ginger aromas. Lush, sweet and generous yet precise and crystalline on the palate, it features very fine tannins, lingering salinity and positive energy. This is a compact, persistent, tightly woven and stimulating Chenin from the Le Mont terroir that reveals firm, tensioned structure and a young finish with potential to improve and refine."
- Item #: i_353676Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS: "The 2018 Vouvray Clos du Bourg Moelleux is ripe and already quite open on the remarkably fine and precise nose where delicate chalky notes intermix with yeasty aromas of ripe apples and even very fine flinty hints. On the palate, this is a sweet, lush, salty-piquant and refined but tightly woven Chenin with structure, remarkable finesse, tickling salinity and serious but fine tannins, as if it was a Pinot Noir. Filigreed and feminine on the tongue, the 2018 develops a long, tensioned, tightly woven and stimulatingly salty finish. Great class and aging potential."
- Item #: i_353678Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97These are the finest, purest, most delicate yet also intense Vouvrays I have had from Huet in recent years - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate
Fans shouldn't miss the chance to buy some of the world's finest Chenin Blancs, which are still spectacularly moderate in price - Stephan Reinhardt, Wine Advocate
We just received an allocation of the 2019 vintage from Domaine Huet and are thrilled to have enough of these rare wines to offer them in an email. Only 4 wines were made in this vintage, three of which are dry (Sec) and one off-dry (Demi-Sec). They are all fantastic, complex and high scoring wines that are incredibly delicious. These wines possess a pleasing textural component and a minerality that enhances the pure orchard and citrus fruit flavors.
Since its founding in 1928, Vouvray's Domaine Huet has been the standard-bearer for great, age-worthy Chenin Blanc. The Wine Advocate's Stephan Reinhardt absolutely loves these wines, heaping high praise and scores on each one of the wines from this vintage. He wrote, "These are the finest, purest, most delicate yet also intense Vouvrays I have had from Huet in recent years."
The Clos du Bourg is another stellar Chenin: ripe, deep, rich and complex yet also pure and vital, with great finesse and elegance and an impressive finish. The 2019 is probably the most amazing Clos de Bourg I have tasted as a young wine!"
The domaine's founder, Victor Huet, was a Parisian bistro owner who re-settled to the town of Vouvray in the beautiful Loire Valley after WW1. He soon purchased the first of his great vineyards, Le Haut-Lieu, in 1928, and Domaine Huet was born.
Victor's son Gaston worked with his father from the beginning, and assumed full charge by 1937. With an obsessive devotion to quality, and an engaging showman's personality, Gaston built the Huet legacy over the next 55 years.
As the estate prospered in the post-WWII era, Gaston secured two additional prime vineyards on the Premiere Cote that would ensure the domaine's stature: Le Mont (purchased in 1957) and Clos du Bourg (farmed since 1953, purchased in 1963). Collectively, these three vineyards, and the wines made from them, account for Huet being the greatest of all Vouvray producers.
Gaston was joined in 1971 by his son-in-law, Noel Pinguet, and 1979 by chef de culture, Jean-Bernard Berthome. Together, they crafted legendary wines from their three parcels-with the vineyards and nature dictating which grapes would become Sec, Demi-Sec, or Moelleux. The estate always held back significant stocks of older vintages, and these wines' near immortality has helped to further the Huet legend.
With Berthome in charge of winemaking since 2012, the domaine may be making its most consistently great wines ever. It was one of the earliest adopters of biodynamics, and recent wines, perhaps more than any in the domaine's history, achieve a fascinating level of transparency, purity, and knife-edged balance.
The wines from Domaine Huet are among the greatest white wines in the world. Fortunately, they remain quite affordable and offer amazing value. If you haven't had quality Chenin Blanc before, this is a great opportunity to try some of the best. If you've been lucky enough to enjoy Huet before, then you know that now is the time to grab these iconic wines.
WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2019 Vouvray Clos du Bourg Sec offers a deep, rich yet pure and refined, intensely aromatic, darker-toned nose with aromas of fully ripe stone and tropical fruit intertwined with earthy, chalky and yeasty notes that make up for further finesse and complexity. Full-bodied, round and fruity on the palate, this is a deep, intense, juicy, silky-textured yet tight, chalky, very complex, sustainably structured and persistently salty-mineral Chenin from old vines that give extra concentration as well as a spectacularly expressive character. This is a great, age-worthy Vouvray with fine tannins and lingering salty tension and finesse. What a finish! The 2019 needs a while to gain finesse and even more complexity. The wine served from the bottle that I tasted nine days before was incredibly amazing! The 2019 is a duty for all Chenin aficionados!"