- Item #: i_374624Bottle Size: 750mlFor the Chauvet, harmony in champagne is not just important, it is elemental. As such, they are regional champions of the art of blending Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, and they take an unabashedly classical approach in the vineyards and in the cellars. Farming their family’s 10 hectares sustainably in five of the Montagne de Reims’s 17 grand crus—Bouzy, Ambonnay, Verzy, Verzenay and Bisseuil— one feels a complex synergy to the final wines where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Long fermentations and extended élevages on the lees help develop complexity and fine aromatics, while also radically reducing the need for sulfur and eschewing the need for malolactic fermentations. In the end, their harmony in both their partnership and practice yields elegant, earthy and aromatic champagnes with a fine, satiny mousse that dances across the palate. That they are also capable of long cellar aging is a fitting legacy for a family who has endured since 1848, and whose family home in Tours-sur-Marne features an immaculately preserved salon, dating to the early 1900's.
- Item #: i_321848Bottle Size: 750mlIn 1970 Guy Bouvet, Antoine’s grandfather launched his domaine in Mareuil sur Ay and ran it largely by himself, with most of the 5 hectares being sold to Bollinger. Guy worked with a small holding of vineyards spread across three villages (Mareuil sur Ay, Avenay val d’Or and Bisseuil). From an early age, Antoine took a budding interest in the family business. He learned from his grandfather the joy of hard work, caring for the land, and the precision of cellar work so very necessary to make great Champagne. Antoine’s love for his grandfather can be seen in the homage to him on the label of his Champagnes. Antoine attended the Viticampus in Avize and started working with his grandfather in 2011 and in 2013 he took over complete operations of the domaine, where he has worked solely with oak and began the use of biodynamic practices. With working with his grandfather in the first couple of years, it has been a transition to organic vineyard practices and in 2012 and 2014 both were planted on 40% organic vineyards, while 2020, and going forward all vineyards are farmed 100% organic and biodynamic throughout.
- Item #: i_377844Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 93"This Vertus domaine numbers among my favorite addresses on the Cote de Blancs, and the Doyard family's vinous, incisive Champagnes deserve a place in any well-stocked cellar. Deep, concentrated and characterful, everything that bears the Doyard label is well worth serious attention." - William Kelley, The Wine Advocate.
The Doyards trace their roots in Champagne back to the 17th century. Maurice Doyard was the first in the family to make wine in the village of Vertus, officially signifying the domaine's foundation. In 1979, at the ripe old age of 20, Yannick Doyard took over the estate, quickly turning it into a beacon for precise, mineral-etched Champagnes they're known for today. They employ a 'non-dogmatic' approach to biodynamic farming, utilizing absolutely no herbicides or pesticides, and most vineyards are still worked by horse.
Doyard's "Vendemiaire" is an entry-level Champagne in name only, as this forty-dollar bubbly easily rivals Grande Marque fare commanding twice its modest price. From 45+ year-old Chardonnay vines primarily in the village of Vertus, along with parcels in Le Mesnil-sur-Oger Grand Cru, Oger Grand Cru, Avize Grand Cru, and Cramant Grand Cru, this year's cuvee is based on the 2014, 2013, and 2012 vintages. Only 15% malo, the vins clairs are aged in older Burgundy barrels before a remarkable 60-months (quite a lot for an entry-level cuvee!) sur lie prior to release.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Firm acidity and a chalky underpinning create a snappy, lip-smacking frame for the flavors of baked white cherry, star anise, ground ginger, chopped almond and biscuit. Finely meshed and harmonious, with the flavor range carried on the delicate, creamy mousse. Drink now through 2024."AN (12/19)
WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The forthcoming release of the NV Brut Blanc de Blancs Cuvée Vendémiaire is based on the 2014 vintage and was disgorged in September 2019, so it's arriving on the market now. Revealing an inviting bouquet of orchard fruit, warm bread, oyster shell and pastry cream, it's medium to full-bodied, pillowy and charming, without quite the same incisiveness of the 2013-based cuvée, concluding with a saline finish."
- Item #: i_375687Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90A very light straw yellow color with lots of bubbles. The nose has light fresh bread, green apple, and a hint of orange. weet and succulent on the palate. Juicy apple. Creamy and warm. As it warms, it has an orange citrus feeling on the midrange. This stuff rocks.
- Item #: i_379004Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS-"Disgorged in June 2017, Vergnon's 2010 Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru Expression is showing brilliantly, unwinding in the glass with aromas of dried white flowers, honeycomb, candied peel, yellow orchard fruit and praline. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied and vinous but precise, with racy acids, chalky structuring extract and a long, beautifully defined finish. This is one of the finest wines I've tasted from Vergnon to date."
- Item #: i_379876Bottle Size: 750mlExtra brut champagne blended exclusively from Grand Cru le Mesnil sur Oger, from the "Les Chetillons et Mussettes" plots. Single varietal, this Chardonnay only comes from the year 2010. Production is limited to 3900 bottles and the aging potential is 30 years. The dress is golden with light green reflections. Nose: white fruits such as peach and pear with toasted almonds to finish with expressions of lemon from Menton, brioche, harmoniously composed of more mineral notes The mouth confirms the first olfactory perceptions with a long and mineral finish, with a last very saline note. Serve around 8 to 10 ° C Ideally suited as an aperitif with seafood such as the Marennes-Oléron oyster or Belon, gray or pink shrimp.
- Item #: i_378210Bottle Size: 750mlJAMES SUCKLING 92 POINTS-"A crisp, taut and dry blanc de blancs that has an array of lemons and hazelnuts on the nose and a subtly nutty edge to the grapefruit and lemon peel flavors. Nice and fresh. Drink now." (09/18)
- Item #: i_376514Bottle Size: 750MLANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS-"The NV (2015) Brut Nature Blanc de Blancs is once again one of the stars in the range, not to mention an absolutely insane value in the world of fine wine. Bright, sculpted and classy to the core, the 2015 dazzles from the very first taste. Citrus, mineral and floral notes abound in this super-expressive, finely-cut Blanc de Blancs. Crystalline and energetic, the Blanc de Blancs has so much to offer. The 2015 is a more than worthy follow up to the stellar 2013. Non-dosé. Disgorged: January 2018."
- Item #: i_378654Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS-"The latest release of Lassaigne's NV Extra Brut Blanc de Blancs Les Vignes de Montgueux is a blend of the 2016, 2015 and 2014 vintages, and is disgorged à la volée without dosage. Offering up a lively bouquet of green apples, freshly baked bread, white peach and pastry cream, it's medium to full-bodied, taut and racy, with a lively spine of acidity, lovely purity and a long, searingly chalky finish. Lassaigne characterizes this as his "apéro" cuvée—modestly, as this makes for a decidedly serious apéritif."
Jacques Lassaigne is a 4.7-hectare family vineyard located in Montgueux. The vineyards boast prime southeastern exposure and consist entirely of Chardonnay. The Montgueux vineyard sites were originally held for the Montrachet of Champagne and are located near the gates of Troyes—the former capital of Champagne. This area is technically part of the Aube department, but is much further north than what people typically think of as the Aube, in the Cote des bars which features wines often primarily made from Pinot Meunier. The terroir in Montgueux is nearly identical to the growing sites found further north in le Mesnil, as they share the same limestone vein —this is exceptional terroir for making great champagne. An intense backbone of acidity is often present in these wines, but since it is located further south than the storied Cotes des blancs, ripening is not as much of an issue. The non-vintage Blanc de Blancs is a blend of nine different vineyard sites & two successive vintages.
- Item #: i_321813Bottle Size: 750mlThis way-under-the-radar Champagne discovery is yet another over-achiever from the heart of the Côte des Blancs. Pertois-Lebrun grows Chardonnay in Cramant, Le Mesnil-SurOger, Chouilly, Oiry, and Oger, all five of which are Grand Cru villages in the Côtes des Blancs. The team of Antoine and Celement Bouret take meticulous care in the treatment of their vines in order to express all of the Chardonnay grapes’ nuances and subtleties, while at the same time reflecting the diversity and unique characteristics of 44 plots. They have reduced synthetic inputs to a minimum (including the total elimination of herbicides and insecticides), ploughing and grassing the soil and giving preference to organic fertilizers. “L’Extravertie” is great introduction to the house and is a stunning value to boot. Based on the 2014 vintage Champagne combining freshness, lightness and finesse. Perfect for any occasion, it will delight you during any special moment. The L’extravertie is made only with grapes from Grand Cru terroirs (Le Mesnil-surOger, Chouilly and Oiry) and cultivated according to a sustainable viticulture... Aspect: Straw yellow color with silver reflections, luminous and fluid aspect, fine bubbles feeding a persistent bezel.
Nose: Brioche and buttered, opening with chalky notes of citrus fruits (lemon, grapefruit), acacia, licorice with a slight hint of anise.
Palate: Supple and fresh attack, fine and melted effervescence. Pulpy fruit aroma, supported by a pleasant lemony acidity and a delicately creamy and elegant chalky minerality. Harmonious and melting finish.
- Item #: i_376943Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES-"Alphaël, angel of knowledge and light, embodies the pure expression of our Chardonnay Grand Cru: fresh and well balanced, with notes of citrus fruit. With its pale, golden aspect, and glints of emerald, it shimmers with a fine effervescence. The first nose, subtle and elegant, unveils notes of candied quince and a rich mineral essence. It then opens out into flavors of fresh fruit, such as peach, and light notes of orange zest. In the mouth, white flowers lead into the slightly roasted and gingerbread undertone of the finish."
Champagne Philippe Glavier is located in the Grand Cru village of Cramant in the Côte des Blancs. Philippe is a RM (Grower) who founded his winery in 1995 with 3 hectares of Grand Cru vineyards and married Véronique in 2000 who bought with her 1.4 hectares from her families' holdings from Grand Cru Côte des Blancs as well. With many small holdings spread over 47 different plots, this idea for the Gräce d'Alphael Non Vintage cuvée with the idea that these small plots will be picked at optimal maturity at harvest and separate microvinification to offer the possibility to make a single aromatic expression of Chardonnay, for each cuvée.
- Item #: i_374372Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The NV Brut Blanc de Blancs Grand Cru is a striking wine, and frankly one of the best wines I have ever tasted from Coutier. Pure Blanc de Blancs is unusual in Ambonnay, where Pinot plays the leading role. Coutier’s NV presents an intriguing combination of the richness that is typical of Ambonnay married to deep, expressive varietal Chardonnay fruit. Smoke, ash and crushed rocks are all layered into the energetic, vibrant finish. This is a flat-out delicious, utterly joyous Champagne from Coutier."
Coutier can certainly make a strong claim as Ambonnay’s value king. In addition to offing plenty of “bang of the buck,” Coutier is notable for their use of Chardonnay in this fabled bastion of Pinot Noir. In fact, proprietor René Coutier’s father was the very first vigneron to plant Chardonnay in the village back in 1946. Today, about a third of the domaine’s 23 acres of vines are planted to this noble white grape. Compared to the Côtes des Blancs, the soil of Ambonnay has a higher ratio of clay to chalk, a factor that imparts an appealing richness to this Chardonnay Champagne. This bottling is based on the 2009 vintage with 40% reserve wine and was fermented entirely in stainless steel with full malolactic fermentation. The result is a very showy and accessible Champagne that received this recent rave from the Wine Advocate.
- Item #: i_376129Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 9055% Chardonnay, 45% Pinot Noir
100% estate-fruit from Ambonnay, one of the largest Grand Cru villages.
It is a beautifully made rosé that offers up gorgeous signature notes of red fruit, brioche and the complex soil tones of Ambonnay fruit.
- Item #: i_377225Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Spectator: 90Vinous Media: 9170% Pinot Noir, 30% Chardonnay
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The NV Brut Tradition Grand Cru is positively stellar. Rich, ample and explosive, the Brut Tradition possesses fabulous energy and resonance from start to finish. The balance of 80% Pinot Noir and 20% Chardonnay works so well here. More than anything else, though, the Brut Tradition offers superb quality, value and personality in its price range, which, once again, makes it one of the most compelling wines budget-conscious readers will find in all of Champagne. Dosage: 6.5 gr/L. Disgorged: July, 2019."