- Item #: i_379709Bottle Size: 750MLJOHN GILMAN VIEW FROM THE CELLAR 92 POINTS-"It had been a few years since I last tasted a bottle of Agrapart’s lovely “Les 7 Crus” cuvée. The wine is really lovely, offering up a pure and complex bouquet of apple, tart pear, chalky minerality, citrus zest and fresh-baked bread. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, focused and complex, with a lovely core, elegant mousse, fine focus and a very long, zesty and perfectly balanced finish. This is one lower dosage bottling that is drinking with style and grace in its youth. 2016-2030."
- Item #: i_376604Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR WEB 91 POINTS-"A lip-smacking Champagne that's sleek and linear up front, with pretty floral and spice accents and flavors of yellow plum, gingersnap biscuit, lemon parfait and mineral expanding on the refined palate. Drink now through 2019. 15 cases imported. (10/16)."
- Item #: i_325699Bottle Size: 750MLOf course, we are big fans of the taut, mineral-laden Chardonnay Champagnes of the Cote de Blancs and sell many excellent examples. However, while quite rare, outstanding Blanc de Blancs can also be produced from small islands of Chardonnay vines situated in that ocean of Pinot Noir known as the Montagne de Rheims. A great example is this Forest- Marie Blanc de Blancs which presents the genre in a deliciously accessible, dare we say, hedonistic, guise. This cuvee reveals developed aromas of apple pie and nougat which accurately presage its luxuriant, spicy apple and brioche-tinged palate. This is a true show stopper that works really well with or with out food and is a tremendousvalue to boot.
- Item #: i_374658Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90TERRY THEISE'S NOTES-"It's like the poster child for farmer fizz, the first white Ay. ..from a single vintage-2013 in this instance-[though]it is not a "vintage" wine. [Disgorged 07/17], it's one of the best editions of this wine, complex, animated almost to the point of brashness; mealy, jasmine and ginger, still a little angular but has a great future in store-in the 1-3 year range (not to mention the 35-40 year range), which you will infer from the long and savory finish."
- Item #: i_337890Bottle Size: 750MLPure grand cru Chardonnay from the chalky, cool soils of Cramant in the Côte de Blancs. Lemon curd, lightly toasted brioche, green tea highlights. Long, savory and seductive; a captivating non-vintage wine that can age with the best of vintage bottles. Generally winemaker Michael Chauvet adds 30% reserve wine; aged for five years on fine lees. Dosage less than 9 grams/L.
- Item #: i_325839Bottle Size: 750MLWINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS-"Chopped hazelnut, graphite and spice accents lace flavors of golden apple, biscuit and saline-tinged mineral in this finely balanced blanc de blancs. Offers a refined, lively mousse and a well-cut finish. Drink now through 2019. 250 cases made. (12/16)."
This Champagne comes from an old vines parcel (planted in 1964) of the Le Cotet vineyard which is situated on the steep slopes of Montgueux, a hill which has been called the "Montrachet of Champagne." In addition to having a desirable southeasterly aspect, Le Cotet boasts some of the deepest, oldest chalk soil in Champagne. Its soil also contains numerous outcrops of quartz that add a spicy component to its wines.
- Item #: i_325462Bottle Size: 750mlJOHN GILMAN 90 POINTS-"The new release of The Rare Wine Company’s “le Mesnil” Blanc de Blancs non-vintage Brut hails from the base year of 2013 and was finished off with a dosage of eight grams per liter. The wine offers up a fine, youthful bouquet of apple, tart pear, chalky minerality, bread dough and a touch of smokiness in the upper register. On the palate the wine is crisp and clean, fullbodied and focused, with frothy mousse, a good core and fine length and grip on the wellbalanced finish. This is very tasty juice that is drinking well out of the blocks, but will also age very nicely. 2016-2025+."
- Item #: i_374557Bottle Size: 750mlBertrand Lilbert is one of the super stars of Cramant and indeed of the Cote des Blancs. 3.5ha of vineyard parcels spread across Cramant, Chouilly and Oiry. The wines are made in a classic structured style with abundant acid to guarantee long aging potential. But that said, they are certainly very enjoyable in their youth. The Lilbert property was established in 1746 and consists of only 3.5 ha Grand Cru Vineyards in the Cote des Blancs, 60% in Cramant, 30% in Chouilly and 10% in Oiry. Bertrand used to work in an Epernay viticulture testing laboratory before taking over the management of this property. Michel Bettane, France’s top wine critic, names Lilbert as the reference point for long-lived classic Cramant. As Andrew Jefford observes in his book, The New France, “This tiny 4-ha Cramant domaine is the source of some very fine and long-lived Blanc de Blancs made by Georges Lilbert and his son Bertrand. The style is less soft, creamy, and flowery than the Blanc de Blancs of most large houses might leave the drinker expecting: Cramant here has a taut, steely, rigorous quality….”. Overall production is tiny with only three cuvées being produced for a huge total production of a tiny 30,000 bottles!
- Item #: i_325486Bottle Size: 750mlAs confirmed by Bertrand Lilbert, the Non-Vintage Blanc de Blancs we carry with the code L14 01, has a base wine composed of 60% 2010 + 40% 2011.
The non-vintage and vintage Champagnes have pin-point bubbles and intense aromas of lime,green apple, hay, and dried apricot. These are beautiful expressions of minerally Chardonnay,with elegance, subtlety, and gorgeous fruit that is not dressed up by excessively sweet dosages(5-15 grams of sugar is the range for brut, but chez Lilbert stays within 6-8g and their Champagne's pressure is lower than the norm). As Andrew Jefford observes in his book, The New France, This tiny 4-ha Cramant domaine is the source of some very fine and long-lived Blanc de Blancs madeby Georges Lilbert and his son Bertrand. The style is less soft, creamy, and flowery than the Blancde Blancs of most large houses might leave the drinker expecting: Cramant here has a taut, steely,rigorous quality....
- Item #: i_374456Bottle Size: 750ml"Lilbert makes classic Côte des Blancs champagnes of great purity, finesse and expression. The only problem with these wines is finding them, as the tiny production is eagerly snapped up upon release by a near-cult following of clientele around the world." – Peter Liem, Champagneguide.net Lilbert owns 3.5 hectare of vines- all Grand Cru, and all Chardonnay, with an average vine age of 45 years- in the Côte des Blancs. 60% of their vines are in Cramant, 30% in Chouilly and 10% in Oiry. These are three of the six Grand Cru villages in the Côte des Blancs. It is rare that any one house owns exclusively Grand Cru vineyards in the Côte des Blancs; Bertrand calls himself "very lucky" to be able to make wines from such prestigious vineyards. All of the parcels are vinified separately until two weeks before bottling. The NV represents 80% of the production and is aged in the cellar for two years. Dosage is normally around 7g/L, since Bertrand is going for acidity in his wines and not ripeness. (He does not perform batonnage because it makes the wines too heavy.) The winery is tiny and the latest investment is a 4,000kg pneumatic press and a disgorgement machine. Each bottle is still riddled by hand. The end result is a true connoisseurs champagne.
- Item #: i_379358Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Disgorged in July 2018 with five grams per liter dosage, the 2014 Brut 1er Cru Blanc de Blancs Gastronome is showing beautifully, bursting from the glass with an expressive bouquet of ripe citrus fruits, Anjou pear, warm bread and fresh peach. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, fleshy but fine boned, with ripe but racy acids, a pretty core of fruit and an elegantly chalky finish."
- Item #: i_373500Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 90WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Moncuit’s non-vintage Cuvee Pierre Moncuit-Delos Blanc de Blancs Brut is typically a rich, powerful, crisp effort displaying notes of chalk dust, white peaches, subtle bees honey, brioche, and yellow plums. Medium-bodied with gorgeous as well as persistent effervescence, and a dry, fabulously pure, laser-like finish, it should be drunk over the next 3-4 years.90 Points Wine SpectatorThere's a richness to this fresh Champagne, with toast, apple pastry and crystallized honey flavors. This is enlivened by well-integrated acidity and hints of lemon zest and brine, with a minerally finish. Drink now through 2012. 150 cases imported."
JOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS - "The new release of Pierre Moncuit’s non-vintage Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs (all from Mesnil fruit) is still a pretty young wine, but it has very good depth and plenty of nascent complexity and will really blossom nicely with a year or two in the bottle. The youthfully fine bouquet offers up scents of pear, delicious apple, incipient notes of pastry cream, chalky minerality, spring flowers and a delicate touch of lemon zest in the upper register. On the palate the wine is medium-full, bright and intensely flavored, with lovely, frothy mousse, fine focus and balance, crisp, beautifully-integrated acids, nascent complexity and fine length and grip on the elegant and still tightly-knit finish. This is not a bad drink today by any means, but it will really open up with another twelve to eighteen months of further bottle age. A fine bottle."
- Item #: i_325773Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90JOHN GILMAN 91+ POINTS -"The new release of Pierre Moncuit’s non-vintage Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs (all from Mesnil fruit) is still a pretty young wine, but it has very good depth and plenty of nascent complexity and will really blossom nicely with a year or two in the bottle. The youthfully fine bouquet offers up scents of pear, delicious apple, incipient notes of pastry cream, chalky minerality, spring flowers and a delicate touch of lemon zest in the upper register. On the palate the wine is medium-full, bright and intensely flavored, with lovely, frothy mousse, fine focus and balance, crisp, beautifully-integrated acids, nascent complexity and fine length and grip on the elegant and still tightly-knit finish. This is not a bad drink today by any means, but it will really open up with another twelve to eighteen months of further bottle age. A fine bottle."
This organically farmed family-run estate is situated in the famed Cote des Blancs Grand Cru village of Le Mesnil-sur-Oger which is also home to Salon and Krug's Clos du Mesnil Champagnes. The firm has a five generation history with Alex Moncuit first planting grapes back in 1889. Today the house, which specializes exclusively in Chardonnay based Champagnes (i.e. Blanc de Blancs), has 20 acres of vines all situated in Le Mesnil. The family tends their plots without the use of pesticides and herbicides and all the fruit is hand-harvested and sorted. Each parcel is vinified separately to optimize blending. All of the wines are fermented and raised in tank, the goal being to enhance contact with the lees. Malolactic fermentation is allowed to happen naturally and the Moncuits never filter or chapitalize. The base vintage for this Brut is 2010 with about 20% reserve added from 2009. Approximately 30% of the cuvée was aged in neutral oak.
- Item #: i_375811Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93James Suckling: 94Wine Enthusiast: 94 PointsJAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Four plots in Avize, a village that delivers strong character in blanc de blancs, picked later and riper. The delicate lemons and fine, chalky minerals here are impressive. Mouth-filling, vinous flesh with yellow-grapefruit and nectarine flavors. Super long, fresh and focused mineral finish. Drink or hold."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS
- Item #: i_376522Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS- " Beautifully balanced and refined in texture, this displays exotic ground spice and floral accents to the flavors of poached white peach, Meyer lemon and candied ginger, with hints of pastry and honey. Offers a lasting, mouthwatering finish. Drink now through 2023. 2,917 cases imported."
- Item #: i_325578Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOOUND 92 POINTS - Not surpristingly, this is more elegant [than Cuvee Les Cles] with a greater emphasis on citrus and less on yeastiness and this pattern of more refinement at the expense of complexity continues onto the equally crisp and delineated flavors that possess a much more agressive mousse, indeed to the point that the attack is foamy, all wrapped in a delicious finish built on delicacy and finesse...
- Item #: i_378109Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92Formerly from a parcel called Clos du Grand Pere, this blend is now a combination that includes 30% juice from Pierre Vaudon, which sist on the plain to the south of Avize. The vine age is still around fifty years. This edition is 40% 2011 and 60% 2012.
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS-"“... displays a deep, intense and yeasty-complex Blanc de Blancs bouquet of ripe and dried fruits, lemons, herbs, blossoms, hazelnut, caramel and chalky flavors... this is a full-bodied, pretty rich and matured Brut. However, it is also clear, silky textured and vivacious with a firm structure and a long, complex finish. ”