- Item #: i_351566Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS: "Dark and lush, this red verges on jammy, with black cherry and black currant fruit shaded by violet and spice accents. A line of tannins marks the long finish, which shows density and structure. Best from 2020 through 2038. 100 cases made."
- Item #: i_351597Bottle Size: 750mlA typically broader, more generous wine of strong spice tones and dark fruit expression. This wine is juicy and pure, showing a penetrating quality and delicate minerality to the flavors of red berries and flowers.
- Item #: i_321140Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Gevrey-Chambertin 1er Cru Clos du Fonteny, a monopole of the domaine, has a delightful bouquet with lively red cherry and crushed strawberry aromas. The palate is well balanced with sappy red berry fruit overlaying the fine tannins. It fans out towards the finish, offering enticing orange rind and blood orange notes that infuse the tart aftertaste. Lovely, just a really lovely Gevrey-Chambertin. Bruno Clair already has an impressive array of holdings in the Côtes de Nuits, from which he has been furnishing wine lovers with beautifully made, quite classically-styled wines for many years. Next year he will add another quite significant parcel of Bonnes-Mares from the cessation of a fermage with Domaine Fougeray de Beauclair, who own the monopole of vines on the Morey-Saint-Denis side of the border. That will surely make Bruno one of the most significant producers of this grand cru. I tasted through the 2015s with winemaker Philippe Brun and a young student who was studying oeno-tourism, assigned 2-weeks by her college at the domaine (I can think of worse work placements myself). "We had some millerandage during the growing season," Philippe told me. "We picked from 6 September and then over 10 days until 20 September. We picked the whites within two days."
BURGHOUND 90 - 93 POINTS - "A deeply pitched yet wonderfully elegant nose is comprised by densely fruited aromas of red cherry, cassis, earth, violet and sandalwood. There is a terrific sense of underlying vibrancy to the refined, cool and restrained flavors that possess a taut muscularity on the impressively persistent, well-balanced and mildly austere finale. This is definitely built-to-age and will require at least 6 to 8 years but reward up to 15 or so. In a word, excellent."
VINOUS 90 - 92 POINTS - "(from vines planted on rock, close to Ruchottes-Chambertin): Medium palish red. Subtle, somewhat reduced scents of raspberry, strawberry, smoke and earth. A step up in sweetness and pliancy from the village Gevrey, but with pungent minerality enlivening the middle palate. Offers an impression of breadth without weight and finishes with nicely buffered tannins. Lovely potential here.
- Item #: i_345483Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 90 POINTS -"This too is super-fresh with its airy nose that combines floral, red currant and evident wet stone scents. The racy and tension-filled flavors possess a really lovely mouth feel if perhaps not quite the overall depth and length as the best of these villages wines."
VINOUS 90 POINTS - "(from vines planted in the 1980s on rocky soil): Good dark red. Quite reticent on the nose, and a bit diffuse. Then juicy and sweet in the mouth, with soil-driven red berry flavors complicated by red licorice and mineral notes. Good density and breadth here--and a bit more size than usual for this wine. Finishes with dusty, horizontal tannins. Clair noted that this bottling is taking on more power as the vines age."
- Item #: i_351015Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95BURGHOUND 95 POINTS: "An extract of black cherry nose is interwoven with notes of earth, violet, spice and plum liqueur scents. The very dense and serious yet vibrant and relatively refined big-bodied flavors brim with dry extract that serves to mostly buffer the powerful and very firm tannic spine on the once again naturally sweet, sappy and massively long finish. As is often the case with the de Vogüé Bonnes Mares, this is a 'buy and forget you own it' wine."
- Item #: i_350454Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93BURGHOUND 93 POINTS-OUTSTANDING!: "This is equally pretty and even cooler with its airy if slightly riper mix of both red and dark pinot fruit, violet, plum, exotic tea and all but invisible wood nuances. There is excellent volume and punch to the focused and quite powerful medium weight flavors that possess a caressing mouthfeel on the even more mineral-inflected finish that goes on and on. Note well however that this palate coating effort is very much built-to-age and is going to need it."
- Item #: i_334050Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 97BURGHOUND 97 POINTS: "Deep ruby color. A kaleidoscopically spicy and broad-ranging nose grudgingly reveals notes of red cherry, cassis, plum, violet, Asian-style tea, sandalwood and hoisin. The velvety and mouth coating imposingly-scaled and intense mineral-driven flavors are blessed with seemingly endless reserves of dry extract that coat the palate on the highly seductive finish that delivers fantastically good length on the youthfully austere, backward and immaculately well-balanced finale. This opulent yet very serious effort is also going to require a very long snooze in a very cool cellar but it should be a remarkable Musigny when it finally emerges. I would add that I don't know if this will be potentially one of the all-time great vintages for the de Vogüé Musigny but my guess is that it will at least be in the conversation, which given the historical track record of this wine, is no small compliment."
- Item #: i_323220Bottle Size: 750mlDavid Duband comes from a vigneron family long based in Chevannes, in the Hautes Cotes de Nuits. He took over the family domaine in 1995 when his father retired and he has also expanded the domaine, which now includes Grand Cru parcels in Echezeaux, Charmes-Chambertin and Clos Vougeot. Altogether Duband owns or leases on long term 25 acres. Duband also farms and makes wine for Francois Feuillet who owns 25 acres nearby, part of it leased by Duband. Wines with Feuillet labels are therefore also made by Duband. Clive Coates compliments Duband for his "up-to-date, classic, modern winemaking..." and notes that there is "high quality" at the estate. Duband also makes Premier Crus inn Chambolle-Musigny, Gevrey-Chambertin and Morey St. Denis, along with village wines.
- Item #: i_351041Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 98WINE SPECTATOR 98 POINTS: "Complex aromas and flavors of red berry, sandalwood, vanilla, floral and mineral are alluring, made all the more appealing by the elegant frame and vivid structure. Silky and harmonious enough to drink now, but this should really sing in five to seven years. Offers a fine, smoky finish. Best from 2023 through 2040. 390 cases made.
- Item #: i_350655Bottle Size: 750mlROBERTPARKER.COM 88-90 POINTS: "The 2015 Meursault 1er Cru Les Poruzots offers traces of yellow flowers on the nose that marry nicely with the citrus fruit, smoked walnut emerging after time in the glass. The palate is well balanced with a lightly honeyed entry, commendable weight in the mouth, if not quite the zesty charm of the Limonsins on the finish."
- Item #: i_352233Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 92 POINTS - "A discreet touch of wood sets off a similar fruit profile though the medium-bodied flavors are at once slightly bigger and richer but also finer and particularly so on the poised and lingering finish. It would not be unkind to observe that Clos Blanc is hardly among the finest 1ers in Pommard yet this is seriously good relatively to the quality the vineyard typically produces; in fact, this is the best example that I have seen since the Launay 2002, which was made from the same vines but not by Xavier Launay. A Sweet Spot Wine."
VINOUS, NEAL MARTIN 93 POINTS - "The 2015 Pommard Clos Blanc 1er Cru is a great and pleasant surprise. It displays more red fruit on the nose compared to its peers, pushing crushed strawberry and raspberry scents to the fore and revealing hints of black truffle and graphite with continued aeration. The palate is medium-bodied with fine-grained tannin and a little oaky at the moment, though the oak marries well with the fruit. Brown spices and dark chocolate toward the finish feel toasty and lend a modern sheen, though I think this will still age well. Give it six to eight years. Tasted blind at the annual Burgfest tasting."
- Item #: i_334227Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 91 - 94 POINTS - "This too flirts with brett though in this case it is so subtle that I almost hesitate to mention it as it's very much a background element on the otherwise pungently earthy purple fruit and floral scents. The fresh, energetic and highly detailed middle weight plus flavors possess excellent concentration and minerality before concluding in a linear, intense and youthfully austere finish. Given that this is not in bottle it's hard to know what may be done and thus my range offers the benefit of the doubt."
VINOUS 91 - 93 POINTS - "(from old vines on white, rocky soil above Les Rugiens; vinified with 15% whole clusters): Bright medium red. Red berries and smoky minerality on the nose. Suave, seamless and intense, conveying a touch of medicinal austerity that brings freshness for the year. Finishes with firm, rising tannins and excellent lingering flavor intensity. Rossignol believes the wine's slightly roasted quality is a function of its minerality rather than from oak. And he noted that even if the pH here went as high as 3.8, he would not adjust the wine's acidity due to its chalky, saline character and inherent energy."
- Item #: i_350476Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 - "The 2015 Volnay 1er Cru les Santenots comes from 2.1 hectares of vine that Nicolas treats as three different cuvées before blending them together. This is completely de-stemmed as usual. It has an attractive bouquet that shows more class than the other premier crus, with scents of crushed violets, black cherries, blackcurrant and iodine. The palate is medium-bodied with a succulent entry, vibrant and lively with crisp acidity and chalky tannin that leads towards a sensual and opulent finish that is beautifully controlled. This is the best Volnay that Nicolas has produced in 2015."
VINOUS 91 - 93 VINOUS - "(13% natural alcohol; already racked into cuve): Very dark red with ruby tones. Liqueur-like black fruits on the nose, which shows a faintly tired quality. Then much fresher in the mouth but in a closed stage, conveying considerable power to the flavors of kirsch, blackberry and licorice. This rather massive Volnay, from deep, iron-rich soil, finishes with strong tannins and a faint animal quality. Rossignol works with two hectares, vinifying three different parcels and then assembling the wine. This wine is in an awkward phase now but I will give it the benefit of the doubt as it has not yet been sulfured."
- Item #: i_333340Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 92-95 POINTS: "Once again there is just enough reduction present to mask the underlying fruit but not the earth and underbrush elements; moreover it is sufficiently light that I doubt that it will persist for very long. Otherwise there is a slightly finer mouth feel to the sleek, intense and muscular mineral-driven flavors that explode on the sappy, rich and balanced finale that displays strikingly good length. However, note well that like the Charmes, this is definitely not constructed for early drinking so be prepared to have at least some patience."
- Item #: i_333343Bottle Size: 750MLBURGHOUND 95-97 POINTS "DON'T MISS": " A discreet application of wood does not reduce the considerable appeal of the ripe, pure and airy nose with its broad mélange of wild red berry fruit liqueur, earth, spice, violets and a hint of animale. The broad-shouldered flavors possess superb mid-palate concentration that enrobes the buried but still quite firm tannins while culminating in a beautifully balanced, muscular and explosively long finish. This is also very clearly built to age yet like the Clos St. Denis, there is so much sap that this could be drunk now with pleasure. A 'wow' wine."
- Item #: i_350707Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 90 POINTS - "This possesses an original nose that displays notes of melon and spiced herbal and apple tea. The very round, supple and distinctly forward flavors are almost soft and while there is good persistence, there isn't much nuance. The underlying material is solid so more depth may well develop; that said, this will clearly be an early drinker."
- Item #: i_304884Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91-93WINE ADVOCATE 91 - 93 POINTS - ""The 2015 Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Baudes includes around 20% whole bunch fruit this year and was matured in two barrels (one and two years old). It has a ripe exotic bouquet with kirsch, orange zest and soy aromas, perhaps just a little too heady at the moment? The palate is medium-bodied with fleshy ripe red berry fruit laced with white pepper and orange rind. It gains more substance towards the finish, gently fanning out and its sappiness leaves you wanting more."
- Item #: i_351131Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90-92WINE ADVOCATE 90 - 92 POINTS - "The 2015 Gevrey-Chambertin les Seuvrées comes from vines that tend to produce small berries and includes 20-25% whole bunch fruit this year. It has a very seductive redcurrant and pomegranate-scented bouquet with a tangible underlying mineralité. The palate is medium-bodied with supple tannin, well-integrated new oak (20%) with a harmonious, slightly chalky finish that lingers in the mouth. This is very fine."
VINOUS 90 - 92 POINTS - "(these vines range in age from 50 to 60 years old; 20% vendange entier): Bright dark red. Pure but subdued scents of cranberry and stony minerality; shows the lift provided by active calcaire. Dense and sappy on the palate, with a spicy accent to the red and darker berry flavors. A note of medicinal cherry emerged with aeration. This youthful wine finishes with suave tannins. Should make a terrific village wine."