- Item #: i_304504Bottle Size: 750MLWhen Nicole Chanrion began her career in the 1970s, convention relegated women to the enology labs and kept them out of the cellars even her mother thought winemaking was man’s work but she would not be deterred from her dream of becoming a vigneronne. The Côte-de-Brouilly appellation sits on the hillsides of Mont Brouilly, a prehistoric volcano that left blue schist stones and volcanic rock along its slopes. These stones yield structured wines with pronounced minerality and great aging potential. After her formal training at the viticultural school in Beaune Nicole had a brief internship in the Napa Valley, where she learned another approach to winemaking but, happily for us, gained a deeper appreciation of the traditional winemaking techniques of the Beaujolais: hand harvesting, whole cluster fermentation, aging the wines in large oak foudres for at least nine months, and bottling unfiltered. The resulting wines are powerful, with loads of pure fruit character and floral aromas.
- Item #: i_345393Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 90BURGHOUND 91 POINTS - "A ripe and overtly peppery mix of red and dark fruit, cut with plenty of earth character. This can also be found on the beautifully rich, seductive and opulent flavors that culminate in a lingering and slightly warm finish, where a hint of bitter cherry pit arises. This should drink well young, yet reward mid-term cellaring as well."
- Item #: i_316953Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94We have long been fans of Chateau Thivin which is a benchmark domaine of the Côte de Brouilly. Thivin consistently produces wines which are utterly delicious and showcase amazing purity of fruit without being heavy.
A visit to this domaine was one of the highlights of our trip to Beaujolais last year. The bucolic scenery and warm hospitality of Claude and his wife made this a memorable stop. The wines perfectly complemented the cheese, charcuterie and pate which were served on a sunny afternoon overlooking the vineyards.
Château Thivin is the oldest estate on Mont Brouilly and was built in the fifteenth century on an ancient volcano which juts out steeply into the valley below. It is one of the historic estates of Beaujolais and consistently produces exceptional examples from the Cru of Côte de Brouilly. Thivin's parcels are predominantly south-facing and are planted entirely with Gamay vines that average 50 years of age. Traditional whole-cluster fermentation maintains the characteristic fruity qualities of Gamay, which is transferred to large neutral oak barrels for aging before bottling.
In 1976, Richard Olney took Kermit Lynch to visit Chateau Thivin on their first wine trip together. It was Olney's top recommendation in the whole of the Beaujolais region. Of course, Kermit is known for his keen eye for quality and soon a relationship was formed and the wines were imported into the U.S. Today, Claude, his wife Evelyne, and their son Claude-Edouard continue the tradition as staunch and proud defenders of the terroir of Brouilly.
WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Côte de Brouilly is superb, unfurling in the glass with aromas of ripe cassis, candied violets and plums. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, rich and concentrated, structured around fine-grained but chewy tannins and tangy balancing acids, with considerable depth and substance at the core. The wine is still quite primary and will need some time to come together, but it's an excellent rendition of this storied cuvée that resembles the 2011 vintage."
- Item #: i_351643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Chiroubles offers up a pretty bouquet of raspberries, red cherries, plums and dark chocolate, lent lift by pretty floral top notes. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, ample and succulent, with a layered core of fruit, fine tannins and mouthwatering acids. It hails from a steep hillside site and is matured in stainless steel."
- Item #: i_351642Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "From a south-facing site near Château Thivin, the 2017 Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Melanie exhibits a deep bouquet of blackberry, wild berries, grilled meat, dark chocolate and licorice. On the palate, it's full-bodied, rich and ample, with a juicy core of fruit, ripe but chewy structuring tannins in abundance and a gourmand, layered profile."
- Item #: i_351641Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Rich aromas of raspberries and cherries introduce the 2017 Morgon Bellevue, a full-bodied, velvety but reserved wine with a deep, layered mid-palate, superb concentration and juicy acids. After the expressive Chiroubles and Côte de Brouilly, the Bellevue is a little more closed after its recent bottling, but it will be superb in the fullness of time."
- Item #: i_345214Bottle Size: 750MLViticulture: No herbacides or pesticides, organically farmed. Vinification: Traditional vinification without sulfur and with natural yeast at very low temperatures. Carbonic maceration and little or no filtering.
- Item #: i_351733Bottle Size: 750mlWINERY NOTES
Average age of the vines: 50 years
Welcome to the Perrachon domain. We pursue the work of our ancestors producing wines the traditional way. Julienas history already mentionned the PERRACHON name in 1601. The Perrachon family acquired the domain of la Bottière, in Juliénas, in 1877. Then came the Domaine des Perelles on the Romanèche-Thorins territory, at the feet of the Moulin-à-Vent hills. The Domaine des Mouilles, now the heart of our operations, was acquired in 1989. It is the heart of the Julienas appellation, benefiting from the best exposure and the best soils. Recently, we added smaller parcels in Chénas, Fleurie, and Saint Amour.
The Moulin à Vent is often called the "Seigneur des Beaujolais" (lord of Beaujolais). Our Moulin à Vent is a robust wine, with aromas reminiscent of southern wines and very ripened fruits.
- Item #: i_351389Bottle Size: 750mlJean-Louis Dutraive represents the fifth generation of Domaine de la Grand’Cour, joining his father at the estate in 1977. The family’s total holdings comprise 10.6 hectares, farmed all organically. Fruit for the 2017 ‘Les Deduits’ comes from old vine plots, vinified in concrete and aged in oak for six months. Dark fruited and fresh, full bright, thirst-quenching acidity and silky tannins; serve slightly chilled with pizza, pasta, or tacos.
- Item #: i_351579Bottle Size: 750mlORGANIC -Semi-carbonic maceration with no added sulfer and natural yeast. Vinification occurs in concrete before aging in a combination of stainless steel, neutral Burgundy barrels and demi-muid for 6 months. Wine is bottled unfined and unfiltered with minimal SO2 added. Fruit for the 2017 Chiroubles comes from 70 year old parcels, vinified semi-carbonically. Concentrated and balanced, full of lively dark fruit and age-worthy potential.
- Item #: i_351449Bottle Size: 750mlBreton’s domaine is comprised of three hectares (only 7.2 acres), eighty percent of which lies in the appellation of Morgon, around the village of Villié-Morgon. The vines range in age from 8 to 80 years, with the 80-year-old vines dedicated to the “Vieilles Vignes” cuvée. Guy’s property is located in the microclimates “Saint-Joseph” and “Grand Cras,” where the naturally low pH of the soil creates favorable conditions for Breton’s sulfur-free vinification.
- Item #: i_351028Bottle Size: 750mlA ‘Gang Of Four’ member, the term widely known in the world of Kermit Lynch Imports, Jean Foillard followed the traditional mindset and practices of Jules Chauvet. Alongside Marcel Lapierre, Jean-Paul Thévenet, and Guy Breton these four vignerons focus on older vines, abstain from herbicides and pesticides, harvest late, sort rigorously to remove damaged grapes from the bunches, add minimal sulfur (or none at all) and refrain from both chaptalization and filtration. These are natural wines made with knowledge and experienced decision-making.
- Item #: i_351029Bottle Size: 750mlNever using synthetic herbicides or pesticides, harvesting late, rigorously sorting to remove all but the healthiest grapes, adding minimal doses of sulfur dioxide or none at all, and refusing both chaptalization and filtration. The end result allows Morgon to express itself naturally, as it should be without the bubblegum and banana aromas of so many other Beaujolais available today. Its rustic structure, spicy notes, and mineral-laden backbone are what real Morgon is all about.
This estate comprises nearly fourteen hectares. Foillard’s Morgons are deep, structured, and complex, with a velvety lushness that makes them irresistible when young despite their aging potential. Jean raises his wines in older barrels sourced from top estates in Burgundy, a logical decision for someone crafting Gamay in a Burgundian style. It is the passion and dedication of vignerons like this that have brought pride back to the crus of the Beaujolais.
MADE FROM 80 YEAR OLD VINES!
- Item #: i_351573Bottle Size: 750mlJustin Dutraive, son of renowned vigneron Jean-Louis Dutraive, acquired two small parcels of land in 2015, ‘Les Bullands’ & ‘Les Tours,’ comprising a total of 1.2 hectares across Beaujolais, farmed all organically. ‘Les Tours’ is energetic and fresh, with notes of tart raspberry, chalk, and fragrant herb undertones. A true porch pounder; serve slightly chilled.
- Item #: i_351556Bottle Size: 750mlOnly indigenous yeasts are used for the fermentation and they require an higher temperature to work properly.Vines - 40 Years old on average.
This is a deep ruby-colored wine that combines aromas of violet flowers, raspberries and spices.. It shows an impressive structure and also a good concentration of fruit on the palate. This is an age worthy Beaujolais that could be put aside for a few years.
- Item #: i_333924Bottle Size: 750MLORGANIC, BIODYNAMIC
This cuvee takes the Vin de France appellation, because the Beaujolais' governing body decided to do away with the Vin de Pays designation in Beaujolais, leaving only the appellations and Vin de France. The wine is still almost all from the cru of Morgon, with a little bit of A.O.C. Beaujolais as well.
- Item #: i_334204Bottle Size: 750MLWine Enthusiast: 94 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 94 POINTS - Made from organically grown grapes, this wine comes from vines that are between 40 and 80 years old. It has structure, tannins and concentration as well as richness, powerful blackberry flavors and a balance with acidity. The wine will age, so drink from 2019."
- Item #: i_352027Bottle Size: 750mlBURGHOUND 90 - 92 POINTS - "Moderate reduction masks the underlying fruit but I doubt that it will last. Otherwise the succulent, dense and powerful flavors evidence a really lovely texture before concluding in a mildly rustic, serious and youthfully austere finish. This too is worth considering provided that you have the patience to allow it at least some time in bottle first. *Outstanding, Top Value*"