- Item #: i_353437Bottle Size: 750mlPRACTICING ORGANIC
The wines have a seductive aromatic component, a silky texture, and a downright deliciousness that is unmistakably Foillard. After all, Alex used tried-and-true techniques to craft his wines: whole-cluster fermentation with natural yeasts, no fining or filtration, and no additives of any kind save for a minute sulfur dose at bottling. The new generation at Domaine Foillard has burst onto the scene with a bang, and the future is full of exciting possibilities for this talented Beaujolais youngster.
- Item #: i_333771Bottle Size: 750MLVINOUS 93 POINTS - "Brilliant violet color. A suave, mineral-accented bouquet evokes ripe red/blue fruits and candied flowers and a spicy nuance builds in the glass. Bright, seamless and appealingly sweet, offering concentrated yet lively raspberry and boysenberry flavors that firm up slowly with aeration. Ripe but graceful in style, finishing gently tannic and impressively long, leaving a sexy lavender pastille note behind."
Michel Chignard is a modest perfectionist who has been practicing his craft for 4 decades. His son, Cédric, now oversees the domaine with as much care as his father. The Chignard family is fortunate to own vineyards in one of the best sites of the Fleurie appellation in Beaujolais; "Les Moriers" is a 8 hectare parcel that extends into Moulin-a-Vent territory. These 60 year old vines have roots that run deep accessing minerals from the granite subsoil thus imparting that classic Fleurie freshness and "gout de terroir".
This wine beautifully expresses the terroir of "Les Moriers"; it is fresh and playful, with deep ripe fruit and finesse.
- Item #: i_351641Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2018 Morgon Bellevue Sable comes from younger vines, planted on Viala rootstock in sandy soils—as the "sable" newly added to its label makes clear. Revealing aromas of blackberries, smoked meats, cracked pepper and violets, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and muscular, with powdery structuring tannin, juicy acids and a blockier, more reserved profile than the Chiroubles and Brouilly that preceded it. This will demand a couple of years' patience before it shows all its cards."
- Item #: i_353209Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93VINOUS 94 POINTS - "Bright, youthful purple. An expansive, highly complex bouquet evokes fresh, mineral-accented cherry and boysenberry, along with building floral and exotic spice notes. Stains the palate with sweet red/blue fruit, lavender pastille and spicecake flavors that deepen steadily on the back half. Delivers a suave blend of richness and energy and finishes very long and juicy, displaying harmonious tannins, resonating florality and a late touch of earthiness."
WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Fleurie Clos de la Grand'Cour bursts with notes of raspberries, cherries, rose petals, cinnamon and blood orange. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, supple and enveloping, with a juicy core of fruit, ripe acids and melting tannins. Pretty, open-knit and fleshy, this was matured half in foudre and half in old barrels."
- Item #: i_345623Bottle Size: 750MLComing from a small vineyard of one acre located in Les Bruyeres near the Cru Fleure in Beaujolais. Handpicked chardonnay, fermented and ged in stainless steel vats. Very fresh and clean and well-balanced to pair with cheese, salad or fish.
- Item #: i_353210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2018 Fleurie La Tonne hails from a high-altidue amphitheater-shaped parcel that encompasses expositions from southeast to northwest. Bursting with aromas of rose petals, Griotte cherries and blood orange, it's medium to full-bodied and ripe but succulent, with melting tannins and an aromatic finish. Pretty and charming, it's a pity it will be the last vintage of this bottling."
- Item #: i_350314Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "From a northeast-facing lieu-dit with deeper soils than Champagne and Grand'Coeur, Dutraive's 2018 Fleurie Chapelle de Bois offers up aromas of wild berries, cassis, cloves and rose hips. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, satiny and succulent, with a delicate, open-knit profile and a light framing of powdery tannins. It's a delicious Fleurie that will drink well for a decade.
Jean-Louis' “sans soufre” bottling immediately overflows with soft, beautiful exotic red and yellow fruits that comfortably rest on fresh, striking acidity. It is the most charming and perhaps the least serious wine in the range only due to its shorter drinking window. Jean-Louis is candid about the need to drink this wine within a 6-8 hour period as the wine has a wonderfully high peak of drinking. However, without SO2 the wines loses a good portion of its charm the next day. It is a rare and wonderful wine.
All of Jean-Louis’ wines are made with whole clusters, zero extraction and natural fermentations. They are made from a combination of nearly perfect farming and zen-like observation. The elevage of this wine is 60% in stainless steel and 40% in futs de chene (barrel).
Terroir: Just on the north side of the domaine, this vineyard is on a gentle slope facing north. The soil is decomposed granite that is slightly deeper than most sections of the Clos de la Coeur; in fact, it is the deepest soil in his roster of vines. It is also the coolest site, thus rendering wines with greater acidity. This combination of higher natural acidity and a cooler terroir is the reason why he chooses this site to bottle a wine completely free of Sulfur.
- Item #: i_353323Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92We are excited to offer for your drinking pleasure a fantastic Beaujolais, which is a perfect wine to enjoy on a warm summer day or evening. This refreshing medium-bodied, dry red wine from Jean-Marc Burgaud immediately caught our attention when we tasted it and were blown away by the purity, intensity and freshness of the fruit.
We were able to grab the last bottles of the vintage from the distributor at a great price. William Kelley of the Wine Advocate was also very impressed, awarding this wine 92 Points and calling it a "superb" wine "bursting from the glass with aromas of wild berries, violets and ripe cherry fruit."
Lantignie is considered one of the best villages due to its hillsides and granite soil which produces a wine with a bright ruby color and a fresh and fruity nose. Winemaking is traditional at this domaine with Jean-Marc practicing organic and refusing to use chemical fertilizers or insecticides. He respects the land, plowing the soil and harvesting by hand. The finest grapes are selected with whole bunch maceration taking place in vats (both stainless steel and concrete vats are employed) followed by aging in used wood. The vines range between 40 and 100 years of age.
This Beaujolais Villages drinks like a much more expensive Cru Beaujolais-it's that good!! This is one of those crowd-pleasing wines everybody will enjoy.
We are happy to offer this eminently drinkable, refreshing Beaujolais at the best price in the country.
Stock is limited to what we have on hand. When it's gone, it's gone.
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2018 Beaujolais-Lantignie from Alexandre Burgaud is superb, bursting from the glass with aromas of wild berries, violets and ripe cherry fruit. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, satiny and layered, with excellent concentration, succulent acids and powdery tannins, concluding with a sapid finish. The young Burgaud is evidently a rising star of the Beaujolais who merits readers' attention."
- Item #: i_353212Bottle Size: 750mlVINOUS 93 POINTS - "Youthful purple. Expansive, mineral- and spice-accented raspberry, cherry and floral pastille aromas show outstanding clarity and pick up a subtle hint of gaminess as the wine opens up. Stains the palate with sweet red/blue fruit flavors that display both depth and vibrancy. Firms up stealthily on an impressively long, floral- and mineral-driven finish that's given shape by smooth, well-knit tannins."
- Item #: i_353079Bottle Size: 1.5LVINOUS 94 POINTS - "Glistening ruby. Mineral-inflected red/blue fruits on the assertively perfumed nose, along with incense, exotic spices and fresh flowers. Alluringly sweet and penetrating, offering intense boysenberry and raspberry flavors braced by juicy acidity. Fine-grained tannins add spine to a wonderfully long, sappy finish that strongly repeats the floral and mineral notes."
- Item #: i_353078Bottle Size: 750mlnever using synthetic herbicides or pesticides
The methods at Lapierre are just as revolutionary as they are traditional; the detail and precision with which they work is striking and entirely different from the mass-produced majority of Beaujolais on the market today. Decomposed granite comprises most of their eleven hectares, and the vines are an average of 45 years of age. Grapes are picked at the last possible moment to obtain the ripest fruit, which is a trademark of the estate style. The Lapierres age their wines on fine lees for at least nine months in oak foudres and fûts ranging from three to thirteen years old. These wines are the essence of Morgon: bright, fleshy fruit with a palatable joie de vivre that was undoubtedly inherited from their creator.
- Item #: i_350080Bottle Size: 750mlThe legend of Marcel Lapierre continues as his son Michael and daughter Camille perpetuate the greatness with purity, clarity and deliciousness each vintage. Here they have purchased fruit of 60 year old Gamay vines from Cotes de Besay vineyard in Julienas but the style will resonate with anyone who has enjoyed the Lapierre wines before. Fresh, lush extraordinarily easy drinking and satisfying Gamay at a very reasonable price. Grab it while you can.
- Item #: i_353380Bottle Size: 750mlSébastien and Charlotte Congretel named their 2.5 hectare Domaine L’Épicurieux after the Greek philosopher Epicurus, who taught that the object of life is balanced pleasure derived from tranquility and harmony. Not surprisingly, this is a very apt description for their balanced and highly pleasurable Beaujolais. After a career working on oil rigs, Sébastien decided in 2015 to become a vigneron in Beaujolais, where Charlotte’s family make wine. The couple acquired some parcels in Morgon and Régnié and made their first vintage in 2016. As befits a couple that adopted a Greek philosopher’s name, Sébastien and Charlotte follow a very thoughtful and principled approach to their viticulture. They adhere strictly to organic standards and are moving toward biodynamic certification. Even now, their Cru Beaujolais wines most assuredly qualify as “natural”.
- Item #: i_344276Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Glimmering ruby. A highly perfumed bouquet evokes fresh red/blue fruits, exotic spices and smoky minerals, along with a sexy floral overtone. Sweet black raspberry, cherry, violet pastille and spicecake flavors that show impressive depth as well as vivacity. In a distinctly elegant, lively style with a very long, floral-dominated finish that's given shape by well-knit tannins that fold steadily into the wine's sappy, appealingly sweet fruit. This must be one of the best values in Beaujolais."
WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Brun's dependably superb 2018 Beaujolais l’Ancien offers up notes of rose petals, cherries and raspberries, followed by a medium to full-bodied, fleshy palate built around satiny tannins and juicy acids. It's a beautifully gourmand but precise wine, demonstrating the strengths of this vintage in the limestone soils of the southern Beaujolais."