- Item #: i_333771Bottle Size: 750MLMichel Chignard is a modest perfectionist who has been practicing his craft for 4 decades. His son, Cédric, now oversees the domaine with as much care as his father. The Chignard family is fortunate to own vineyards in one of the best sites of the Fleurie appellation in Beaujolais; "Les Moriers" is a 8 hectare parcel that extends into Moulin-a-Vent territory. These 60 year old vines have roots that run deep accessing minerals from the granite subsoil thus imparting that classic Fleurie freshness and "gout de terroir".
This wine beautifully expresses the terroir of "Les Moriers"; it is fresh and playful, with deep ripe fruit and finesse.
- Item #: i_345213Bottle Size: 750MLJean-Louis is a devout practitioner of organic viticulture and the property has been certified by ECOCERT since 2009. Harvest is done by hand and grapes are immediately placed in tank at low temperatures to begin carbonic maceration (without sulfur)
The wines of Jean-Louis Dutraive are some of the most unique aromatically and texturally in all of Beaujolais. One whiff, and the wines display an almost exotic floral and spicy aroma overlayed over lush minerally Gamay fruit, sort of like a top Morey St. Denis 1er or Grand Cru nose combined with earthy, Volnay-like fruit. There is also a textural lushness and exuberance backed up by ample structure and acid. These are substantial Beaujolais, and ones that could certainly stand up to food. They also have the requisite material to develop and evolve over the medium term, i.e. 10-12 years of aging, easily!
- Item #: i_352544Bottle Size: 750mlean-Louis Dutraive joined his father at the family estate in 1977 and now represents the fifth generation of Domaine de la Grand’Cour. Their estate is comprised of 10.6 hectares of organically farmed vines. Fruit for ‘Le Clos’ comes from organically farmed 80-year-old vines and is vinified with native yeasts via carbonic maceration then aged in French oak. Silky and smooth, the wine shows flavors of cherry, cloves, and a hint of black pepper.
- Item #: i_352950Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Vivid magenta. Expressive red/blue fruit aromas are complemented by suggestions of candied flowers, smoky minerals and baking spices. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering intense black raspberry and boysenberry flavors that tighten up slowly on the back half. Finishes long and smooth, showing excellent clarity, well-knit tannins and resonating floral and mineral character."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "From vines in Quincié and named after Breton's daughter, the 2018 Beaujolais-Villages Cuvée Marylou reveals a lovely bouquet of cherries, citrus zest and strawberries. On the palate, it's medium."
- Item #: i_351449Bottle Size: 750mlBreton’s domaine is comprised of three hectares (only 7.2 acres), eighty percent of which lies in the appellation of Morgon, around the village of Villié-Morgon. The vines range in age from 8 to 80 years, with the 80-year-old vines dedicated to the “Vieilles Vignes” cuvée. Guy’s property is located in the microclimates “Saint-Joseph” and “Grand Cras,” where the naturally low pH of the soil creates favorable conditions for Breton’s sulfur-free vinification.
- Item #: i_350314Bottle Size: 750mlJean-Louis' “sans soufre” bottling immediately overflows with soft, beautiful exotic red and yellow fruits that comfortably rest on fresh, striking acidity. It is the most charming and perhaps the least serious wine in the range only due to its shorter drinking window. Jean-Louis is candid about the need to drink this wine within a 6-8 hour period as the wine has a wonderfully high peak of drinking. However, without SO2 the wines loses a good portion of its charm the next day. It is a rare and wonderful wine.
All of Jean-Louis’ wines are made with whole clusters, zero extraction and natural fermentations. They are made from a combination of nearly perfect farming and zen-like observation. The elevage of this wine is 60% in stainless steel and 40% in futs de chene (barrel).
Terroir: Just on the north side of the domaine, this vineyard is on a gentle slope facing north. The soil is decomposed granite that is slightly deeper than most sections of the Clos de la Coeur; in fact, it is the deepest soil in his roster of vines. It is also the coolest site, thus rendering wines with greater acidity. This combination of higher natural acidity and a cooler terroir is the reason why he chooses this site to bottle a wine completely free of Sulfur.
- Item #: i_352532Bottle Size: 750mlSébastien and Charlotte Congretel named their 2.5 hectare Domaine L’Épicurieux after the Greek philosopher Epicurus, who taught that the object of life is balanced pleasure derived from tranquility and harmony. Not surprisingly, this is a very apt description for their balanced and highly pleasurable Beaujolais. After a career working on oil rigs, Sébastien decided in 2015 to become a vigneron in Beaujolais, where Charlotte’s family make wine. The couple acquired some parcels in Morgon and Régnié and made their first vintage in 2016. As befits a couple that adopted a Greek philosopher’s name, Sébastien and Charlotte follow a very thoughtful and principled approach to their viticulture. They adhere strictly to organic standards and are moving toward biodynamic certification. Even now, their Cru Beaujolais wines most assuredly qualify as “natural”.