- Item #: i_345408Bottle Size: 750MLGrowing up the son of famous “Gang of Four” Morgon producer Jean-Paul Thévenet, Charly Thévenet was exposed quite early on to traditional, more natural viticulture—a philosophy that his father and friends helped to resurrect in Beaujolais in the early eighties. Though only in his twenties, Charly has already started a dynamic career. A few years ago, with extensive experience working for his father and in Marcel Lapierre’s winery already under his belt, he purchased a parcel of eighty-year-old vines in Régnié, west-southwest of his hometown of Villié-Morgon. Régnié is a terroir enjoying something of its own renaissance in the hands of talented growers like Charly and his dad’s pal, Guy Breton. In fact, Regnié has joined the short list of Grand Crus in the Beaujolais. Situated on a plateau of seabed stone in the foothills of the Côte du Py, it gives a fresh wine with solid acidity.
As the next generation of the natural wine movement, Charly seems to have inherited his father’s savoir faire. He uses biodynamic farming techniques in the vineyard, never adding synthetic herbicides, pesticides, or fungicides to the vines. He harvests late, with an aggressive sorting of the grapes, adds minimal doses of sulfur dioxide, ages the wine in four-year-old Burgundian barriques, and bottles his wines unfiltered. Add a dose of that Thévenet talent, and you have a recipe for excellent wine! The 2007 vintage marked his first release and his first collaboration with KLWM.
We are unanimously impressed with this rising star.
- Item #: i_333931Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 94WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Bottled only a week before I tasted it, Alain Coudert's 2019 Fleurie from the Clos de la Roilette is showing beautifully, wafting from the glass with aromas of rose petals, red cherries, raspberries, spices and orange rind. Medium to full-bodied, deep and velvety, it's elegant and fine-boned, with lively acids, refined structuring tannins and a long, perfumed finish. Readers who gravitate toward classical styles of Beaujolais will prefer the 2019 to the richer, more gourmand 2018, but both are lovely vintages for this reference-point address."
- Item #: i_352948Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Bottled a mere week before I tasted it, Thivin's 2019 Côte de Brouilly unwinds in the glass with inviting aromas of plums, red berries, warm spices and peonies. Medium to full-bodied, velvety and enveloping, it's bright and precise, with fine depth at the core and real energy, concluding with a long, gently tannic finish. A touch finer-boned and more dynamic than the gourmand, demonstrative 2018, this is showing very well."
- Item #: i_351643Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Bouland's 2018 Chiroubles bursts with aromas of ripe blackberries, red plums, violets and cracked black pepper. On the palate, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and layered, with a succulent core of fruit, fine concentration and a long, lip-smacking finish. An especially gourmand rendition of this cuvée, it hails from a steep hillside site and is matured in tank."
- Item #: i_351642Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "Aromas of smoky berry fruit, cassis, spices and candied peel introduce the 2018 Côte de Brouilly Cuvée Melanie, a medium to full-bodied, succulent and fleshy wine that's layered and incisive, remaining fresh and lively despite its impressive mass and volume. Thanks to its perfectly mature tannins, this is unusually approachable out of the gates."
- Item #: i_351641Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2018 Morgon Bellevue Sable comes from younger vines, planted on Viala rootstock in sandy soils—as the "sable" newly added to its label makes clear. Revealing aromas of blackberries, smoked meats, cracked pepper and violets, it's medium to full-bodied, ample and muscular, with powdery structuring tannin, juicy acids and a blockier, more reserved profile than the Chiroubles and Brouilly that preceded it. This will demand a couple of years' patience before it shows all its cards."
- Item #: i_353650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The entire contents of the five-year-old foudre that contains Bouland's 2018 Morgon Pré Jourdan were reserved by his US importer, so overseas consumers may have a hard time finding this superb wine, which hails from lieu-dit near the village in the direction of Fleurie. Aromas of blackberries and spices mingle with notes of rose petals, violets and potpourri in a bouquet that has taken on a discrete patina from its comparatively new foudre. On the palate, the wine is medium to full-bodied, layered and succulent, with fine and powdery tannins, ripe acids and a perfumed finish."
- Item #: i_353224Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92VINOUS 92 POINTS: "Vibrant ruby. Smoky, mineral-tinged red and blue fruit and floral pastille scents, along with hints of cracked pepper and licorice. Sappy, appealingly sweet black raspberry and blueberry flavors smoothly blend power and finesse and pick up a smoky nuance as the wine opens up. Closes very long and pliant, offering building tannins and an echo of ripe blue fruit."
- Item #: i_352950Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90VINOUS 92 POINTS - "Vivid magenta. Expressive red/blue fruit aromas are complemented by suggestions of candied flowers, smoky minerals and baking spices. Juicy and expansive on the palate, offering intense black raspberry and boysenberry flavors that tighten up slowly on the back half. Finishes long and smooth, showing excellent clarity, well-knit tannins and resonating floral and mineral character."
WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "From vines in Quincié and named after Breton's daughter, the 2018 Beaujolais-Villages Cuvée Marylou reveals a lovely bouquet of cherries, citrus zest and strawberries. On the palate, it's medium."
- Item #: i_360689Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91VINOUS 91 POINTS - "Shimmering ruby color. Displays lively, mineral-tinged red berry and cherry aromas that pick up a suave floral topnote with air. Pure, minerally and focused, offering energetic raspberry and bitter cherry flavors that show an appealing blend of delicacy and power. Turns sweeter on the finish, which lingers with strong tenacity and silky, harmonious tannins."
- Item #: i_353656Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS
From an ancient and esteemed Burgundy producer comes this wonderfully approachable and well-balanced Beaujolais. Loaded with crunchy red fruit and savory wet stone, this ginger quaffer is perfect for any of your backyard feasts. She is even polished enough to impress the folks over Thanksgiving bread-breaking, a definite keeper.
- Item #: i_352532Bottle Size: 750mlSébastien and Charlotte Congretel named their 2.5 hectare Domaine L’Épicurieux after the Greek philosopher Epicurus, who taught that the object of life is balanced pleasure derived from tranquility and harmony. Not surprisingly, this is a very apt description for their balanced and highly pleasurable Beaujolais. After a career working on oil rigs, Sébastien decided in 2015 to become a vigneron in Beaujolais, where Charlotte’s family make wine. The couple acquired some parcels in Morgon and Régnié and made their first vintage in 2016. As befits a couple that adopted a Greek philosopher’s name, Sébastien and Charlotte follow a very thoughtful and principled approach to their viticulture. They adhere strictly to organic standards and are moving toward biodynamic certification. Even now, their Cru Beaujolais wines most assuredly qualify as “natural”.