- Item #: i_201600Bottle Size: 750mlLast year we attended the inaugural Sonoma County Barrel Auction. This was an event where wineries from throughout Sonoma County gathered to showcase wines that they have not bottled before, and to keep their wines unique, they don't plan on bottling them again! Last week we showcased the unique Pinot Noir from Patz & Hall, perhaps the best Pinot Noir they have ever made. This time, it's an amazing Syrah & Cabernet Sauvignon blend from one of our favorite Sonoma County producers...Arrowood!
Arrowood Winery is pure Sonoma. The winery's influence in the region endures since the first wines were made three decades ago. Created exclusively for the Sonoma County Barrel Auction, Winemaker Kristina Weerner selected the top lots from the vintage to craft a unique blend of Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon. The Syrah comes from the Russian River Valley's acclaimed Saralee's vineyard. It is not uncommon for Arrowood's Syrah from this vineyard to score in the "outstanding" range with famed critic Robert Parker, and the Syrah for this blend was co-fermented with Viognier, which actually makes the wine darker and gives it more aromatics and texture. With that, they blended in 30% Cabernet Sauvignon from the Smothers-Remick Ridge Vineyard, a phenomenal property that sits roughly 600 feet above the valley floor in the northern Sonoma Mountains. It features 18 acres of Cabernet Sauvignon divided into 11 distinctive blocks that mirror the terroir. Known for its small, flavorful berries, this mountain site produced balanced wines with refined tannins. In the end, Kristina decided the best wine was blended of 70% Syrah and 30% Cabernet Sauvignon...and that's what we have here!
Only 10 cases were bottled, and you can't get this wine at the winery, even if you're a member of their wine club! This is a gorgeous red blend, and it displays a lovely ruby/garnet color with aromas of freshly crushed cherry, raspberry, red currant, strawberry shortcake, vanilla, and hints of oak. After a short bit of time to breathe, aromas of smoke, Asian spices, and grilled meat begin to emerge. On the palate, the subtle hints of spice continues, along with black fruit, black cherry, a briary quality, cured meat, and plum. The finish is fairly long, with pronounced tannins that give a nice frame to the wine. Absolutely delectable, this is a wine that can easily be enjoyed now, but will continue to develop nicely in the cellar for another 7-10 years!
- Item #: i_205580Bottle Size: 750mlBorn in Michoacan, Mexico, winemaker Edgar Torres has lived in the coastal town of Cambria, California since the age of 8. As it seems to happen to many people who live close to Paso Robles, he fell in love with wine and decided to make his livelihood in the wine business. Hey…can you blame him?!? He has worked with many of the superstars of the Central Coast, including Matt Garretson, Augie Hug, Alta Maria Vineyards, Barrel 27, and McPrice Myers. We sampled his latest releases a few months ago, and they really knocked our socks off! The intensity of these wines are rivaled by few here in the United States, and we suggest you check out what Edgar can do!
A combination of two great vineyards, Alta Mesa vineyard in Santa Barbara and Kimsey Vineyard in Santa Ynez. This wine screams aromas of red flowers, dark cranberries, cherries, pomegranate, hints of grilled herbs, and leather. The palate mimics much of the nose with a great freshness and minerality, and has good grippy tannins making it worthy of aging. This wine is big and pairs well with meat or seared tuna. Enjoy now or lay it down for 7-9 years.
- Item #: i_205560Bottle Size: 750mlLast year, winemaker Edgar Torres brought us a couple wines that were simply amazing! This year is no different, other than the fact that he has a new wine that is really gets us excited! His latest bottling is called "Toro de Paso", a blend of Tempranillo, Grenache, and Cabernet Sauvignon. The Tempranillo and Grenache are a couple of the primary grapes in many Spanish reds, and coming from this Central Coast region, calling this wine Toro de Paso just made sense.
Offering plenty of underbrush, loamy earth, spice and mulled black fruits, the 2013 Toro de Paso is medium-bodied, nicely concentrated, with good fruit, but a firm, savory edge to its tannin. Give bottles a year in the cellar but plan on drinking by 2023. The blend in 2013 is 65% Tempranillo, 25% Grenache, 5% Cabernet, and 5% Merlot, all of which spent two years in oak.
- Item #: i_216078Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleAromas of apricot, poached pear and orange rind dominate the more subtle clove and mineral notes. The flavors mimic the aromas on the nose, melding with a mouthwatering texture and added notes of juicy orange and citrus blossom. This wine shows the restraint of youthfulness with the expectation that its bottle bouquet will emerge with a few more years of bottle age.
- Item #: i_216240Bottle Size: 750mlEarth bark spice and exotic oak flavors intermingle with fresh fruits. Black cherry is echoed on the palate. The firm tannic core is enveloped in a satiny robe of black and red cherries and red plum skin flavors. Generous without heaviness, the wine is sophisticated and confident.
- Item #: i_203400Bottle Size: 375mlWine Advocate: 100**Please note, this is a half sized bottleROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 100 POINTS - "Medium to deep garnet-purple in color, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon charges from the gate with exuberant red and black cherries notes, black currants and mulberries with a beautiful roses and lavender perfume, plus hints of sandalwood and cinnamon stick. Full-bodied, concentrated and downright explosive in the mouth, it is still wearing loads of gorgeous puppy-fat fruit flavors, offering suggestions of the complex, multilayered blockbuster that it will emerge into. The structure deserves its own mention: wonderful, seamless freshness and oh-so-fine, pixelated tannins, with an extraordinary persistence of fruit and mineral nuances. Wow."
- Item #: i_229170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93Wine Enthusiast: 95 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 95 POINTS - "From a certified-organic site in Rutherford and 100% varietal, this wine has benefitted from time in the bottle, dazzling in soft silky red fruit and jolts of nutmeg and dust. Beautifully layered, structured and brightly vibrant, it has impressive coaxings of cigar, cedar and a rich hint of wild vanilla."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "This throws off some seriously ripe and alluring fruit, with raspberry, blackberry and cherry coulis notes streaming through, framed tightly by a mouthwatering anise note and ending with a bolt of graphite. Impressive focus and drive throughout. Best from 2020 through 2035."
- Item #: i_230820Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is a made exclusively from the UCD 7 clone of Cabernet Sauvignon grown in mineral ash and decomposed volcanic rock. The fruit was hand selected, clusters were sorted prior to destemming, and the berries were sorted after destemming to remove any imperfect fruit. This small lot underwent native fermentation in an open-top tank, managed with hand punch downs and a long extended maceration. The new wine was racked into carefully selected new French oak barrels and aged for twenty months before bottling unfined and unfiltered.
Deep blue-red in hue, the wines aroma's are of black raspberry, cherry, hibiscus, smoke, and spice. Focused and mineral, cherry and currant flavors saturate the palate and are joined by pencil-lead, sweet mint, and cedar. The wine finishes with fine-structured tannins, espresso and dark fruit. This full-bodied Howell Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon should drink well for a decade or more, revealing more as it ages.
- Item #: i_235180Bottle Size: 750mlSure, this varietal has been the whipping boy for the past several years, but when an incredible Merlot like this comes along, you’ve simply got to put prejudice aside and drink this delicious wine! Dr. Thomas Kenefick fell in love with wine country some 25 years ago and subsequently bought a 125-acre property at the foothills of the Palisade Mountains in Calistoga. Initially, he nursed the vineyard to health and sold grapes to several notable Napa Valley producers including Arietta, Buccella, Etude, Lewis, Phelps, T-Vine and Plumjack's new Cade winery. In 2002 he started bottling wine under his own label.
He has tapped the shoulder of Kent Jarman to make his wines, and his talented blending technique shows in this bottle. This Merlot is not your average Merlot; copious notes of red fruit, strawberry jam and spicy notes. Fresh berry preserve shows on the entry, bright acidity integrates the oak tannin, creating a creamy mid palate.
- Item #: i_235100Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 50% Petit Verdot, 30% Merlot, and 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, this wine displays black fruit, fresh vanilla bean, tobacco leaf on the nose. Bright acidity that lifts the fresh fruit nuances on the palate, integrating well with the large yet ripe tannin profile. Good to drink now and will cellar well for the next 15-25 years.
- Item #: i_235760Bottle Size: 750MLKorbel Natural' is a very dry, delicate champagne which exemplifies the fruit forward, Korbel "House Style." Sonoma County Pinot Noir and Chardonnay grapes, primarily from the cool Russian River Valley give Korbel Natural' its unique crisp, fruit-centered flavor. Natural' was originally developed by Adolph Heck in the early 1960s as a dry, sophisticated alternative to the sweet and awkward bulk-processed sparkling wines commonly consumed at that time. Today, Korbel Natural's crispness still makes it agreat champagne to serve as an aperitif, with lighter fish dishes or grilled prawns. Natural' also pairs well with dishes using fruit, especially citrus.
- Item #: i_236770Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+ROBERT PARKER 94+ POINTS - "The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon from their vineyard in St. Helena is a slightly richer, broader and more profoundly deep style of Cabernet Sauvignon than the 2012 with a nearly opaque ruby/purple color, with sweet black cherry and blackcurrant fruit in the intense and persistent aromatics. Full-bodied with the same alcohol as the 2012 (14.8%), the wine cuts a broad swath across the palate without any sense of heaviness. Pure and ripe but still youthful and relatively unevolved, this should be cellared for another 3-5 years and drink over the following two decades."
- Item #: i_211598Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2013 Cabernet Sauvignon is a relatively big, robust, rich Cabernet Sauvignon (15.2% alcohol) with a dense ruby/purple color, creamy, toasty oak. Loads of blueberry and blackberry fruit and an opaque purple color, this full-bodied wine is still young, but really savory, rich and bold. What it lacks in complexity it makes up in size and intensity. Drink it over the next 15 or so years."
- Item #: i_276550Bottle Size: 750MLMiner Family Vineyards is a dynamic family-owned winery tucked into the eastern hills of the Oakville appellation, squarely within the heart of Napa Valley. Founded by Dave and Emily Miner along with his folks Ed and Norma, Miner is defined first and foremost by a sensational portfolio of wines, wines consistently characterized by and committed to individualistic style and uncommon quality.
This commitment to the production of fine wines led the Miners to the Krupp Brothers of Stagecoach Vineyards. The Stagecoach vineyard surely must be one of the most ambitious vineyard developments to date. Situated upon and named for an 1800s stagecoach trail, this 800-acre vineyard was laboriously carved from enormous rocks and boulders high atop the eastern hills of Napa Valley. At nearly 1500 feet above the Valley floor and nearly straddling the Oakville Ranch property, this vineyard has quickly caught fire with winemakers searching for grapes of uncommonly deep and profoundly complex nature. Terrior-driven, the meticulously farmed blocks are hand-picked according to Miner's winemaker Gary Brookman's specifications.
Loaded with rich ripe fruit and spice notes with touches of toasty oak, this Merlot has a nice firm grip from fine tannins boasting a huge lengthy finish uncommon in many Merlots made today. Enjoy now or you can tuck this away in the cellar for a few years!
- Item #: i_247780Bottle Size: 750mlCabernet Sauvignon is perfectly suited to the warm days and cool nights that Paso Robles offers from its diurnal shift - the range of temperatures can be over 45 degrees from coolest night to heat of day. The resultant wine - with power and finesse - exhibits blackberry and cherry accompanied by exotic spices. Fresh fruits and herbs are supported by a rich structure, warm spice, mocha, and structured oak. Although perfectly suited to current consumption, this wine will reward careful aging.
- Item #: i_249720Bottle Size: 500mlRipe berries, rich caramel and toffee aromas lead to a flavorful dessert wine with warm spice, raspberry and cream soda highlights. A very complex and rich dessert wine. Cellar note: Although ready to drink now, this port will benefit from aging for the next 10 years.
- Item #: i_251970Bottle Size: 750mlProduced fom Petite Sirah, Tinata Roriz, Tinta Cao, and Touriga. The depth and structure of the Petite Sirah compliments the soft fruit notes of the Portuguese varieties, resulting in a soft yet age-worthy Port with many layers of flavors.
- Item #: i_250250Bottle Size: 750mlThe grapes for this wine come from the Elsberg Vineyard located on Howell Mountain. The vineyard is planted on an incline with the rows directed south-southwest giving the vineyard excellent morning and afternoon exposure and allowing for good drainage. The French style of planting was followed: planting in a more dense arrangement where the vines are closer together (4x4).
2013 was the best vintage ever for the Elsberg Vineyard, but production was barely half of normal yield. Bold and beautiful, this lush cabernet displays Howell Mountain's expressive layers of raspberries, cherries, chocolate and spice, along with robust minerality. Expressive aromas of berries and flowers introduce the concentrated flavors that continuously reveal themselves as this wine opens up. An impressive offering, and one of the great bargains in Napa cabernet. Nuances of flavors contributed by 30 months in 100% French oak barrels complement the fruit.
- Item #: i_276506Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Scheduled to be released in November 2015, the 2013 White Wine Resiste is a sensational white from California that's made from 45% Roussanne, 26% Chardonnay, 14% Petite Manseng, 10% Viognier and 5% Marsanne that spent 19 months in 46% new French oak and the balance in concrete eggs and used barrels. Possessing rock-star levels of richness and texture on the palate, with full-bodied depth and power that never seems heavy or cumbersome, it has classic SQN white notes of buttered golden fruits, honeysuckle, honeycomb, toast and white flowers. Unctuous, full-flavored and still lively and fresh, it needs 2-3 years of cellaring and will keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_268140Bottle Size: 1.5LSwitchback Ridge Wines are sourced exclusively from the Peterson Family Vineyard in Calistoga. The property has been in the Peterson family since 1914 and encompasses nearly 100 acres located at the mouth of Dutch Henry Canyon. Robert Foley continues to lead the winemaking and in typical Foley fashion, this Merlot is huge!
- Item #: i_278080Bottle Size: 750mlAged for 15 months in French oak barrels, of which 30% of them were new, this 2013 Chardonnay shows vibrant aromas of lemon curd, blood orange, key lime, citrus flower, toasted brioche, vanilla and slight cream. The palate is juicy and mouth watering, with flavors of Meyer lemon, kiwi fruit, granny smith apple, citrus flower and toast with slight white pepper.
- Item #: i_276637Bottle Size: 750MLThe 2013 Merlot exhibits terrific mocha and plummy fruit along with plenty of cherry, herb, and chocolate notes. A soft texture with attractive spice and sweet fruit.