- Item #: i_211270Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine floored us from the very first sip! Ancient Peaks sits in the Paso Robles appellation, 22 miles south of the city itself, and just 14 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Here, the surrounding peaks of the Santa Lucia Mountain Range act as a gateway between one region to the south that is exceedingly ocean-cooled, and another to the north that is much, much warmer (sometimes downright hot!). When the days heat up in the areas north and east of Margarita Vineyard, the air rises to create a vacuum that pulls marine breezes and fog inland over the peaks, and right through the vineyard. This means the fruit gets ripe, without any "off" flavors, yet the cooling afternoon breezes help the resulting wine to retain freshness and acidity.
The Renegade is a blend of 32% Syrah, 25% Zinfandel, 20% Malbec, 19% Petit Verdot, and 4% Petite Sirah, the wine is loaded with deep berry aromas that reveal accents of toasty oak, baking spice, cedar and tobacco. The texture is broad and velvety, offering concentrated flavors of boysenberry, blueberry, black cherry and cocoa that are powerfully framed by savory notes of bacon fat and pepper. Plush tannins and lengthy fruit converge into a smooth, seamless finish.
- Item #: i_200570Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96-98+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96-98+ POINTS - "In May 2019, I paid a visit to Andremily owner, Jim Binns, at his small winemaking facility in Ventura, CA. A former employee at Sine Qua Non, not only did this guy learn from the best, he has taken the baton and run off into his own very clever direction with it."
"Composed of 92% Syrah, 5% Mourvedre and 3% Viognier, using 40% whole cluster, the Andremily 2017 No. 6 is sourced from White Hawk, Larner, Harrison-Clarke, Watch Hill and Alta Mesa Vineyards. To be bottled mid-August 2019, it will spend around 22 months in French oak barriques, 60% new."
"Deep garnet-purple, the nose is already singing at this nascent stage, giving up loads of bright blackberries, crushed red and black plums and mulberries scents with Indian spices, cardamom, Sichuan pepper and dusty soil plus a waft of wild thyme. Full-bodied and firm, with a refreshing line cutting through the densely packed black fruit layers, it has wonderfully ripe, rounded tannins and a long finish."
- Item #: i_244070Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Jeb Dunnuck: 90 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "The entry-level Syrah, the 2017 Syrah Tous Les Jours was brought up all in neutral barrels. Coming entirely from sites in the Santa Ynez Valley, it offers a deep ruby/plum color as well as a juicy bouquet of smoked black fruits, olives, sappy herbs, pepper, and scorched earth. Medium-bodied, juicy, balanced, and about as quaffable as they come, it's a no-brainer effort to enjoy over the coming 4-5 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Medium to deep ruby-purple, the 2017 Syrah Tous les Jours opens with notes of tar and smoke, giving way to peppered meat, black olive and dense black and blue fruits with floral notions. Medium to full-bodied, it fills the mouth with dark fruits firmly framed by ripe tannins and lifted by juicy acidity, finishing long."
- Item #: i_200500Bottle Size: 750mlThe focus of this two person operation is on small lot, single vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Chardonnay, as well as several other varieties uncommon in Northern Californian vineyards. Sites are carefully chosen and are generally on the cooler end of the spectrum for the planted varieties. Collaboration with dedicated and passionate growers is paramount in the farming of these sites.
Duncan and Nathan grew up around winemaking in the Napa Valley. Nathan is a second generation cooper and personally builds all of the French oak barrels that are utilized in the ageing of all Arnot-Roberts wines. Over the years Duncan has worked making wine in the Napa Valley in wineries like, Caymus, Groth, Acacia, Kongsgaard. Total production of Arnot-Roberts is around 2,000 cases per year with thirteen individual wines.
- Item #: i_203060Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "As usual our value offering of Syrah is primarily made up of declassified lots of our vineyard designated wines. In 2018 this means Hudson, Griffin's Lair, Alder Springs, Weill, Shake Ridge and others make the majority of the blends, combined with small amounts of Bedrock Vineyard Syrah, Walker Vine Hill and others. All lots saw some use of whole-cluster (ranging from 20-100%) and there is a small amount of Viognier also cofermented in a few of the lots. Elevage was done in a variety of barrel sizes, a small fraction of which were new. Perfumed, peppery and meaty, this wine should slay it for the price. Back up the truck! "
- Item #: i_205620Bottle Size: 750mlBorn in Michoacan, Mexico, winemaker Edgar Torres has lived in the coastal town of Cambria, California since the age of 8. As it seems to happen to many people who live close to Paso Robles, he fell in love with wine and decided to make his livelihood in the wine business. Hey...can you blame him?!? He has worked with many of the superstars of the Central Coast, including Matt Garretson, Augie Hug and Alta Maria Vineyards. More recently, he has worked alongside one of our best friends, McPrice Myers over at Barrel 27 (what a mentor!), when Edgar isn't tinkering on his own wines.
Edgar makes wines that knock our socks off! The intensity of these wines are rivaled by few here in the United States and we suggest you check out what Edgar can do! El CabRhone is a play on words, as this is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (50%) and Rhone varietals (30% Grenache, 10% Syrah, and 10% Mourvedre). The wine offers a lovely blackberry and plum core which is surrounded by cinnamon and sweet applewood smoke notes, with orange-peel-candied-in-chocolate elements. Fine tannins and elegant acidity combine with the pure fruit and spices for a long, seamless finish. Only 145 cases were produced!
- Item #: i_205720Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96-98 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Vertigo checks in as 63% Syrah, 30% Mourvedre, 4% Grenache, and the balance Petite Sirah that's still aging in 65% new French oak. One of the more voluptuous, sexy 2017s from Jenson, it boasts loads of black and blue fruits, ground pepper, and spring flower aromas and flavors. Deep, full-bodied, ultra-pure, and with a big finish, it's killer wine in the making."
- Item #: i_212451Bottle Size: 750mlBrassfield's Volcano Ridge Vineyard is located on the steep slopes of an extinct cinder cone at 2,200 feet above sea level on the eastern end of High Valley. The pure volcanic soils are ideal for vine stress, restricting crop yields, and making wine that has both intensity and elegance.
A blend of 40% Petite Sirah, 21% Syrah, 12% Malbec, 11% Mourvedre, 11% Grenache, and 5% Zinfandel, this wine is packed with terroir driven fruit and structure. A spicy nose is balanced with intense flavors of plum, raspberry, blackberry, black currant, and anise. Dark raisins dusted with black pepper fill the core of this full-bodied and soft, lush wine. Amazing on its own or with grilled meats and soft cheeses.
- Item #: i_209820Bottle Size: 750mlAfter graduating from Cal Poly SLO, winemaker Denise Shurtleff worked at a local winery as a lab tech during harvest, and was quickly introduced to the intensity and passion associated with fine winemaking. She worked all aspects at the winery, learning how each and every part of the winemaking process affects the final wine. The sustainably-farmed Tempusquet Vineyard in Santa Maria produces grapes of intense quality, and Denise knows just the methods needed to get the vineyard's best into the bottle.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2015 Syrah Tepusquet Vineyard is the most impressive wine in the range today. Powerful, dense and explosive, the 2015 pulses with both energy. An exotic melange of inky dark fruit, creme de cassis, lavender, black pepper and spice builds as this striking wine shows off its pedigree."
- Item #: i_207430Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94+ POINTS - "Coming from a single vineyard in the cooler Bennett Valley (although the site is so unique they don't label this wine as from Bennett Valley), the 2017 The Integral checks in as 62% Syrah and 38% Mourvedre that had the Syrah mostly destemmed and the Mourvedre fermented with 100% whole clusters. Deep purple-hued with notes of smoke blue fruits, bloody minerality, charcoal, and graphite, it's medium to full-bodied, concentrated, backward, and structured. Hide bottles for 4-5 years and it's going to keep for over a decade."
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A light-footed bruiser, opening with boldly expressive blackberry jam aromas before revealing a structured core wrapped in compelling currant, licorice and smoky beef flavors. Syrah and Mourvedre. Best from 2021 through 2028. 422 cases made."
- Item #: i_207450Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 94-97 POINTS - "This set of 2020 releases from proprietor Mike Officer and winemaker Jay Maddox is stellar. There are so many alluring wines in this range, that I don't really know where to start. But, if I had to pick a few, they would be the Sonoma County Syrah (a fabulous value), the Carlisle Zinfandel and the Sierra Mar Syrah. Most of the wines see a cold soak of around 5 days. New oak is in the 20-30% range, and whole clusters are used with restraint. More than anything else, I was blown away by the sheer finesse of the 2018s, and the extraordinary degree to which they convey the essence of place, which is such a fundamental concept in world-class wine."
"As good as the Rosella's Syrah is, the 2018 Sierra Mar has an added kick of everything. Inky dark fruit, chocolate, spice, leather, menthol and licorice all build in a deep, expansive Syrah loaded with character. The 20% whole clusters are evident, but not at all dominant. More than anything else, the Sierra Mar Syrah possesses tremendous vertical intensity as well as purity. What a wine!"
- Item #: i_207460Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 90-93 POINTS - "The 2018 Syrah (Sonoma County) is fabulous. If I were going to focus on only one wine in this range, it might very well be the Sonoma County Syrah, as it offers extraordinary value. Black cherry, plum, gravel, spice, chocolate and leather infuse the 2018 with remarkable intensity and power. The 2018 is built around a core of fruit from Radiant Ridge, in Bennett Valley, which will become a vineyard designate in this range at some point in the future. Quite frankly, the 2018 is a stunning wine."
- Item #: i_219610Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 52% Syrah, 21% Grenache, 12% Petite Sirah, 8% Tannat, and 7% Mourvedre, the life of the party has just arrived and is setting up shop in your mouth. It's approachable, as all good party guests should be, with lively flavors of blackberries, cherries and strawberries to get things started. And this Paso red blend knows how to mingle, introducing milk chocolate, caramel and leather to all those beautiful fruits. It's going to be an interesting night.
- Item #: i_214420Bottle Size: 750mlThe Delmore 2018 Syrah is from the dry-farmed Stolo Vineyard and CCOF-certified Boulder Ridge vineyard: both wildly cool climate sites in California. I co-fermented 5% Viognier into both lots and aged the finished wine in three neutral French Oak barrels. Easily my finest effort to date.
"This is possibly the most savory rendition of Syrah made on the Central Coast, each vintage as feral as the last,” noted Matt Kettmann, contributing editor to Wine Enthusias"
- Item #: i_214850Bottle Size: 750mlPlanted in 1999, Denner Vineyards is a winegrowing estate on the far western border of the Paso Robles AVA. Their 156 acres press up against the Santa Lucia Range, giving the site great diversity of elevation, aspect and soil. Previously dry farmed barley, the estate is nestled into the Templeton Gap, an East/West corridor where the marine layer can reach the inland valleys. As a result they receive large diurnal temperature swings without high moisture pressure, giving us a near perfect growing climate.
The 108 acres under vine are comprised of 19 different varieties in 26 unique blocks. Each block is farmed with painstaking attention to detail, allowing only for the best possible grapes to reach the winery. Aron Nevarez, their vineyard manager, is committed to environmentally friendly farming practices, using only sustainable inputs and minimal irrigation.
The "Dirt Worshipper" is a blend of 97% Syrah, 2% Roussanne, and 1% Viognier. An explosion of violets, black olives, plums, white pepper, and forest floor are a stunning introduction to this hedonistic beast. Flavors of seared ribeye, menthol, rolling tobacco, and blueberry dance around on the visceral palate. The mid-palate offers profound depth and power, but brightens as it evolves into a graceful and extraordinarily long finish.
- Item #: i_215890Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 MJM is the same blend as the Seven, but predominantly from the John Sebastiano Vineyard and aged 27 months in 38% new oak. Notes of blackcurrants, camphor, beef blood, sandalwood, ground pepper, and spiced meat all emerge from the glass, and this incredible wine is medium to full-bodied, has building tannins, flawless balance, and a blockbuster of a finish. It reminds me of a Hermitage from the likes of Jean-Louis Chave. There are a scant 300 cases produced."
- Item #: i_249245Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 90 POINTS - "Fess Parker's 2017 Syrah (Santa Barbara County) is powerful and bold, with expressive savory and peppery notes that add striking shades of complexity. This is an especially rich, racy style. A touch of sweetness from American oak is a lovely accent to ripe dark cherry, plum, chocolate, licorice and grilled herb flavors."
- Item #: i_222810Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2016 Syrah Estate checks in as 100% Syrah that saw a small amount of stems. It spent 18 months in 25% new French oak. Deeply colored, it displays a thrilling bouquet of smoked black fruits, violets, smoked meats, charcoal, and graphite. Deep, rich, incredibly fleshy and flamboyant, with perfect balance, it's a serious, world-class Syrah that will keep for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_222820Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "A stunning, world-class wine from Red Mountain, the 2017 Syrah Estate is the finest example yet from this steep, rocky terroir and winemaker Todd Alexander. With extraordinary notes of blackberry, smoked game, cassis, graphite, charred meats, and spring flowers, it's reminiscent of a top Cote Rotie from the Cote Blonde. With full-bodied richness, a beautiful, layered, multi-dimensional texture, ripe tannins, and integrated oak, it's beautiful today yet will benefit from short-term cellaring and cruise for 15-20 years or more in cool cellars. This sensational wine will stand toe to toe with the best out there."
- Item #: i_227490Bottle Size: 750mlThis is an insane value from Curt Schalchlin; the owner and winemaker of SANS LIEGE. After several years learning from and working for some of the Central Coast's most sought-after producers, Curt decided to go his own way. The wines he puts under the Sans Liege label have received lofty praise from other winemakers and consumers, and his Groundwork label is on the way to becoming one of the better values in California's Central Coast!
For his Groundwork Syrah, Curt gets fruit from three phenomenal vineyards: White Hawk, Larner, Watch Hill, and Old Potrero. More often when you see single-vineyard wines from these properties, they will cost you $30-$45 per bottle. So you can already see what a value this wine is! Couple that with the fact that he ages the wine for 18 months in a mix of new and neutral French oak (again, something that you typically fine in pricier bottlings), and you will know why this is a knockout bargain!
The wine is redolent with grilled cherries, Swiss Tobacco, raspberry brambles, rare steak, grilled peaches, pumice, evergreen forest, strawberry hard candies, mocha, cherry cola, and hints of creosote (which Todd Johnston loves!).
- Item #: i_228150Bottle Size: 750mlSyrah is a perennial favorite at Halter Ranch, and their unique soil expresses a beautiful side of the grape varietal. This wine opens with aromas of blueberries and baking spices. The bright entry provides complex flavors of dried flowers, berry compote and a hint of earthiness, that leads to a long layered finish. This full-bodied wine will pair well with charcuterie and braised and grilled meats.
- Item #: i_274400Bottle Size: 750mlRussell From is the owner, winemaker, and sole employee of Herman Story wines. Russell is talented in the cellar, and has a keen eye for what a vineyard can and cannot do. What does this mean?...It means you have one of the more talented winemakers from Paso Robles and Santa Barbara bringing some of the most exciting wines!
Russell's Nuts and Bolts is 100% Syrah from some of the more pretigious vineyards in California's Central Coast, including Bien Nacido, White Hawk, and Luna Matta. His tasting notes read: "You've finally done it and curated the man cave of your dreams. The hand-carved cherry wood bar is fully stocked with everything from espresso tequila to berry-infused absinthe to Jolt Cola. The 1915 Brunswick pool table compliments the Elle Bleu Gargoyle humidor with names like Behike, Opus X and Black Dragon. The hint of gun-metal oil permeates the air from the well-kept Glock 17 kept on display, and the built-in Excelsior houses the 88" that just so happens to be tuned to a Jai Alai match. There's mesquite grilled Chateaubriand at the carving station and Tito Puente on the jukebox. Most of all, there is a level of comfort and intimacy that you swirl around your glass before drinking it all in."
- Item #: i_230210Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "Of these three offerings from Horsepower, the 2015 Syrah The Tribe Vineyard will require the most time, as it's the most tight-knit at this early stage, slowly unwinding in the glass with savory aromas of raw cocoa, tapenade, nori and ripe blackberries. On the palate, it's full-bodied, deep and concentrated, with a rich chassis of satiny structuring tannins and a layered, umami-laden core of fruit. At 13.6% alcohol, it's also beautifully balanced."
- Item #: i_230830Bottle Size: 750mlHug Cellar’s wines are wines that are truly “made in the vineyard”. Handcrafted cultivation by these dedicated growers, and gentle winemaking in the cellar, produce wines that are rich and intense in their aromas, textures and flavors. There is very little manipulation in the small lot winemaking at Hug Cellars. We utilize whole cluster and indigenous yeasts in our fermentations. This fosters wines that reflect the pure expression of these unique vineyards.