- Item #: i_201500Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (Knights Valley) is very pretty. Bright, punchy and full of life, the 2016 has too much to offer. A rush of red berry fruit, flowers, savory herbs and crushed rocks runs through this super-expressive, delineated Cabernet Sauvignon. This is a gorgeous Knights Valley Cabernet. The mid-weight, energetic style is quite appealing."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "Similarly colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley is a bigger, richer wine loaded with notions of chocolatey dark fruits, notes of loamy earth and cedar, medium to full body, and a charming, delicious, mouthfilling style. It's another outstanding wine from this team that has loads to love."
- Item #: i_210200Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Chalk Hill's Estate is a compendium of unique microclimates, exposures and soil types. They are fortunate to be able to make everything from aromatic Sauvignon Blanc to big, bold Syrah. Nowhere is this ideal situation more evident than in their Estate Red, which is just that - the best blend of the red wines made from the estate. Each variety is perfectly matched to the vineyard site. The blend will also vary from year to year, as the vineyard yields and fruit quality depend greatly on the weather during springtime bloom and set, and during harvest. Cabernet and Malbec were the stars in 2016, and form the base of this Estate Red. Grapes grown on the rocky slopes of their Estate West vineyard make up the balance of the blend. This year, the final blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot, and 7% Merlot.
Chalk Hill's 2016 Estate Red opens with bold and intense aromas of blackberry, anise, tobacco leaf and dark chocolate. The palate is rich and savory, with layered flavors of black cherry, dark chocolate and leather with oak influences of vanilla and toast. Though firm, the tannins are rounded by a balanced acidity and a long and smooth finish. Though appealing in its youth, this wine will also age beautifully over the next 15 years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Estate Red is a blend of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 37% Malbec, 9% Petit Verdot and 7% Merlot. Deep ruby-purple, it's scented of pencil lead, cedar, cassis, maraschino cherry, cigar box and chocolate with touches of cardamom and dried spices. The palate is medium to full-bodied and lushly fruited, with a firm frame of very ripe, grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long. 4,998 cases produced."
- Item #: i_232890Bottle Size: 750mlNamed for the old grist mill that was found on the property, Grist sits pretty at 1000 ft. elevation on Bradford Mountain in the Dry Creek Valley AVA. The site was originally planted 100 years ago, and has since been replanted in the early 1970s. Farming here is CCOF Organic. The 58 acres under vine are head trained and cane pruned, and have spectacular views of the fog line driving in 15 miles west from the Pacific Ocean. Between Grist and the beachfront lie 15 miles of mountain lions, deer, and unspoiled forest.
- Item #: i_218960Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 91Italian immigrant Antonio Romanini planted this vineyard, his first in Sonoma Valley, in 1954. Since then, the alluvial soils have yielded grapes for perfect Pinot Noir: vines with compact clusters and smaller yields. The vineyard comprises mostly Pommard and Calera Clones on 101-14 rootstock. The fruit intensity from this site is influenced by the nearby Carneros climate and the growing season’s cool nights and warm days. Adding to the provenance is the fact that this vineyard is farmed by the "grandfather" of organic and biodynamic vineyard farming in California, Phil Coturri, and his team at Enterprise Vineyards.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Romanini Vineyard The Engineer has a very pretty nose of violet and lilac with autumn leaves, dusty earth, fresh tobacco and savory red fruits. Medium-bodied with nuanced red and blue fruits and earthy notions in the mouth, it's softly textured with grainy tannins and finishes minerally. 142 cases produced."
- Item #: i_236260Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Notes: “The rich volcanic soils of Kunde create a rich and powerful Merlot. Perhaps it’s the iron content in the dirt that causes the wine to show just a bit more power than is common in the market, but we like a big Merlot! For your next red meat pairing, try substituting this Merlot with your Cabernet drinkers and watch them go back for seconds. I would also recommend you decant this wine well before a meal as we held nothing back!”
- Item #: i_240160Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, the deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Monte Rosso Vineyard comes galloping out of the glass with notes of creme de cassis, warm plums, cast-iron pan and bouquet garni, plus touches of lavender and olives. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is chock-full of muscular fruit, framed by firm, grainy tannins, finishing with an herbal lift. 2,200 cases were made."
- Item #: i_238940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92The grapes for this Chardonnay came exclusively from Macrostie's Wildcat Mountain Vineyard, owned by Steve MacRostie and his partners Nancy and Tony Lilly. Here the vines dig into the sparse volcanic soil and stand firm against the strong winds that race in off of the Pacific Ocean most afternoons. This fog-shrouded mountaintop vineyard is a classic Sonoma Coast site, cool and challenging, and produces wines of great distinction.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - ""The 2016 Wildcat Mountain Vineyard Chardonnay delivers notes of white peaches, ripe Golden Delicious apples and Bosc pears with hints of allspice, shaved almonds and chalk dust. The palate nails it with intense yet elegantly played apple and pear flavors, accented with plenty of toast and spice, and gives a long, refreshing finish. 1,595 cases produced."
- Item #: i_252945Bottle Size: 1.5LRaen is a new project put out by Carlo and Dante Mondavi, grandsons of the famed Robert Mondavi. Carlo and Dante are fourth generation vintners born and raised in Napa Valley who "cut their teeth" working under Tim Mondavi at the Robert Mondavi Winery as well as Opus One. The two brothers credit their dad Tim for the passion they share for Pinot Noir, as Tim is a big Burgundy fan and was a pioneer for California Pinot Noir through the '70s. Raen's Sonoma Coast bottling has been named Royal St. Robert Cuvee, in the honor of Carlo and Dante Mondavi's grandfather (Robert Mondavi) who taught them to be committed to excellence.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Pale to medium ruby-purple colored, the 2016 Pinot Noir Royal St. Robert struts a super savory nose of chargrilled meats, yeast extract, wood smoke and forest floor with a core of wild strawberries, raspberry tart and cranberries plus touches of dried Provence herbs and truffles. The medium-bodied palate reveals a chewy frame with seamless acid supporting a great core of expressive, earthy layers culminating in a long, mineral-laced finish."
- Item #: i_259210Bottle Size: 750mlGrowing and producing world class Sangiovese is not for the faint of heart. Rattlesnakes, thistle, and America's most unique clone of Sangiovese are all that thrive atop Rattlesnake Hill on Seghesio Family Vineyards' Home Ranch. The shallow topsoil and virtually impenetrable volcanic shale are the perfect foil in taming this vigorous varietal into producing intensely flavored grapes. The clone, planted in 1910 by Edoardo Seghesio in America's oldest Sangiovese vineyard, produces small-berried, loosely formed clusters.
The aromas of earth, cherry, and rose with a dusting of cinnamon make for an enticiing and vibrant bouquet. On the palate the wine is lithe, silky, and fresh with notes of wild plums and black raspberry. Velvety tannins contribute to a luscious and lengthy finish.
- Item #: i_276210Bottle Size: 750mlSourced from vineyards that are sustainable or organic, Smoke Tree Chardonnay is anything but typical for California; with elegance and balance, it unites stone fruit and white flower aromatics, flavors of citrus and granny smith apple, and a finish that lingers with acidity and minerality.
- Item #: i_270810Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98Jeb Dunnuck: 100JEB DUNNUCK 100 POINTS - "Another perfect wine is the 2016 La Joie, which is 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot, and 5% Petit Verdot sourced all from the estate vineyards in the Pocket Peak portion of the Alexander Valley. This full-bodied, powerful yet elegant Cabernet Sauvignon couldn't be better and has incredible purity, layers of creme de cassis, white flowers, tobacco leaf, and flowers, a deep, multi-dimensional texture, and loads of ultra-fine tannins. I'd confidently put this up against any Cabernet Sauvignon in the world. As with the La Muse, it has the balance, purity, and class to drink spectacularly well even today, but it's another wine that will benefit from a decade of cellaring and keep for 40-50 years."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 98 POINTS - "The 2016 La Joie is a blend of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot. Very deep purple-black in color, it gives up the most gorgeous scents of lilacs, baking spices, incense and star anise with a core of warm cassis, Black Forest cake, redcurrant jelly and unsmoked cigars. Full-bodied and built like a brick house, it has a firm frame of very ripe, grainy tannins and bold, multilayered black fruit, finishing very long and very spicy. 3,200 cases produced."
- Item #: i_270800Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 99Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "The 2016 Le Desir checks in as 82% Cabernet Franc, 12% Merlot, and 6% Malbec. Readers looking for world-class Cabernet Franc should beg, borrow, or steal to get hold of a bottle of this. Incredible floral, violet, forest floor, lead pencil, and cassis notes all flow to a medium to full-bodied red that's flawlessly balanced, has ultra-fine tannins, and a finish that won't quit. More intellectual and elegant than the La Joie, it's still a wine of incredible intensity and class that builds incrementally on the palate, has an exotic, singular character, and the class to evolve for 30 years or more."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 99 POINTS - "Composed of 82% Cabernet Franc, 12% Merlot and 6% Malbec, the very deep purple-black colored 2016 Le Desir is a little closed to begin, opening out to reveal absolutely stunning scents of potpourri, roses and orange peel over a core of crushed blackcurrants, black cherries and dark chocolate with touches of cinnamon stick and cloves plus a waft of forest floor. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is exquisitely delicate and refined, with super ripe, fine-grained tannins and wonderful freshness, finishing with epic persistence. 3,500 cases produced."