- Item #: i_200730Bottle Size: 750mlLocated in the coastal foothills of the Santa Lucia Mountain Range, the vineyards selected for this Reserve Monterey County Chardonnay are consistently cooled by the marine layer funneled in from the Monterey Bay throughout the growing season. Fog that is late to burn off, and a cool midday breeze, extend hang time to allow the grapes to be picked at the peak of the fruit’s flavor and acidity.
This juicy, fruit driven Chardonnay is dominated by aromas of ripe golden apples, tropical pineapple and coconut, and zesty Meyer lemons. Not to be outdone, the luscious palate is balanced by bright acids and mild oak influence gives this wine a delicious lingering finish.
- Item #: i_207450Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94-97ANTONIO GALLONI 94-97 POINTS - "This set of 2020 releases from proprietor Mike Officer and winemaker Jay Maddox is stellar. There are so many alluring wines in this range, that I don't really know where to start. But, if I had to pick a few, they would be the Sonoma County Syrah (a fabulous value), the Carlisle Zinfandel and the Sierra Mar Syrah. Most of the wines see a cold soak of around 5 days. New oak is in the 20-30% range, and whole clusters are used with restraint. More than anything else, I was blown away by the sheer finesse of the 2018s, and the extraordinary degree to which they convey the essence of place, which is such a fundamental concept in world-class wine."
"As good as the Rosella's Syrah is, the 2018 Sierra Mar has an added kick of everything. Inky dark fruit, chocolate, spice, leather, menthol and licorice all build in a deep, expansive Syrah loaded with character. The 20% whole clusters are evident, but not at all dominant. More than anything else, the Sierra Mar Syrah possesses tremendous vertical intensity as well as purity. What a wine!"
- Item #: i_276541Bottle Size: 750mlAged 9 months in barrel, 16% new French oak. · Moderately light ruby red color in the glass. The nose opens nicely over time in the glass, offering fresh aromas of dark red cherry, spice and dusty oak. Light weighted and easy going, with bright flavors of cherry, strawberry and mocha. Lacy in texture with silky tannins and a cherry-fueled finish. A simple but redeeming wine.
- Item #: i_225200Bottle Size: 750ml"Chalone isn't a label; it's a place on earth." The wines speak to the limestone and decomposed granite soils that are specific to this wild, isolated mountain plateau in Monterey County. The low-nutrient soils make the vines struggle and give the wines unique minerality; the diurnal temperature swings and cool winds retain acidity; the intense sunshine builds flavors and tannin structure; and the age of the vines enhances the wines' concentration, complexity and ageability.
Chalone's 2018 Estate Chardonnay is crisp and refreshing with a beautiful golden hue. It opens up with nuances of stone fruit, wet rock and a hint of oak. Their Burgundian style Chardonnay boasts a unique minerality and exceptional complexity derived from mature vineyards coupled with ancient limestone that runs through the Chalone AVA. Pair this Chardonnay with creamy lobster mac and cheese topped with crunchy, golden bread crumbs.
- Item #: i_216010Bottle Size: 750mlChamisal's 2017 Monterey County Chardonnay is vinified using traditional Burgundian winemaking techniques. This includes whole cluster pressing, barrel fermentations, batonnage, native yeast, and malolactic fermentation. They utilize press cuts to fine-tune quality and vinify in many small lots, allowing to assemble their Monterey Chardonnay with a focus on quality and richness.
This full-bodied wine exhibits classic varietal characteristics with aromas of toasted oak and creme brrlee. The entry is fruit driven with hints of lemon cream, Fuji apple, ripe pineapple and baked pear, leading to a rich and creamy mid-palate. Finishing clean with lingering acidity and broad texture, the wine is a beautiful example of Monterey County Chardonnay.
- Item #: i_211110Bottle Size: 750mlAt this point in its young life, it is light straw in color and boasts bright tropical notes of pineapple and guava. The lively, crisp-apple acidity on the finish provides a nice balance to a lush and creamy texture on the palate. This is their thirty-sixth consecutive vintage of Dry Gewurztraminer, and one of the best!
- Item #: i_227970Bottle Size: 750mlFrancis Ford presents another refreshingly-priced Pinot with refreshing Pinot character! Every Francis Coppola Diamond Collection wine is made with grapes grown in California regions best suited to each varietal. This one is sourced from specific sites within Monterey. The smallest of these vineyards lies on the eastern side of the Salinas Valley, where its loamy sand soils provide ideal drainage, thus adding to the concentration and density of the wine. The largest vineyard is just below the Santa Lucia Highlands, enjoying coastal fog and Pacific breezes that allow for a long growing season.
Displaying a deep garnet color, the enticing bouquet blooms with strawberry and hints of lavender and cherries, followed by a palate of dried cranberry, spice and earth.
- Item #: i_228290Bottle Size: 750mlThe Hahn Family has been farming in the Santa Lucia Highlands area since the late ‘70s with land purchased to graze livestock. It didn’t take long for Nicky Hahn to see a much greater potential for his acreage and by 1980 had produced his first wine. The region’s climate was unique from surrounding areas and over the next 8 years it gained its status as an AVA thanks to Nicky Hahn leading the charge. Over the years the family has acquired additional Vineyards in the region totaling 650 acres all sustainably farmed and family operated.
- Item #: i_228240Bottle Size: 750mlHahn's Chardonnay highlights some of the best vineyards in Monterey and Santa Lucia Highlands. This high coastal region greets the day with morning sun giving way to afternoon breezes, the perfect setting for this Burgundian varietal. In the glass it gives a light golden hue with lemon peel, and pear on the nose. Once tasted it reveals layers of subtle peach and pineapple with a touch of vanilla toast. A clean finish leaves lingering hints of tropical lychee and green bananas. This medium-bodied wine has a crisp acidity and well rounded, making it a perfect accompaniment for pasta dishes, chicken, grilled prawns and white corn salad.
- Item #: i_228210Bottle Size: 750mlSince 1980 the Hahn family has cultivated their hillside vineyards in Monterey County. Today, Hahn Winery remains committed to crafting rich, supple wines which consistently over deliver on quality. The grapes for this wine were grown in the Arroyo Seco appellation of Monterey County, which sits on a gravelly alluvial plain beneath the Santa Lucia mountain range. Cool winds from Monterey Bay ensure gradual ripening and development of vibrant flavors. The rocky soils allow excellent drainage, enhancing intensity and promoting balanced ripeness and acidity.
This wine’s bouquet charms with scents of red cherry, ripe strawberry, cola and spice. On the palate soft mouthfeel complements flavors recalling plums and black cherry. upple tannins and a dash of acidity end in a beautifully balanced, clean finish.
- Item #: i_238560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "The rich palate texture is achieved through the use of classic Burgundian techniques, such as primary and malolactic fermentation in French oak barrels and weekly stirring of the lees. The palate is balanced by fresh flavors of apple, pear, and Meyer lemon cream with a long, sweet oak finish."
- Item #: i_238390Bottle Size: 750mlThe grapes for the J. Lohr Estates Flume Crossing Sauvignon Blanc are grown in the well-drained, sandy, cobblestone soils deposited by the Arroyo Seco River. These rugged soils keep yields in check and produce fruit with varietal intensity, minerality, and exceptional weight. The long cool growing season of the Arroyo Seco appellation ensures that the fleeting, exotic fruit flavors of Sauvignon Blanc are retained along with vibrant natural acidity. The Flume Crossing Sauvignon Blanc is created to be an expression of pure varietal character, influenced only by its terroir and gently guided by minimal farming and winemaking practices.
- Item #: i_232320Bottle Size: 750MLTobin James Cellars, located 8 miles east of Paso Robles on Highway 46, sits among 71 acres of vineyard's and oak dotted hills. A magnificent setting for magnificent wines! This region is wonderful for powerful reds, but Monterey County holds a better place for Chardonnays. Rich & creamy with great citrus flavors, this is the perfect Chardonnay for afternoons and light to moderate food!
- Item #: i_211510Bottle Size: 750mlIn the glass, the 2016 Dry Riesling shows aromatics of stone fruit and herbal citrus zest. The palate has great texture displaying notes of pear, mint and petrol. The finish is long, showing salinity and a laser beam-like focus.
- Item #: i_234350Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleSince 2011, all of Kendall-Jackson's vineyards have been third-party certified as sustainable by CCSW (Certified California Sustainable Winegrowing) and SIP (Sustainability in Practice). Floral notes of orange blossom with aromas of orange, cinnamon and nutmeg tease your senses and this unctuous rich liquid gold coats your palate and tongue. Excellent balance of residual sugar and acid coupled with nuances of botrytis (noble rot) make this a wine to savor and remember. 10.0% alcohol, 8.5g/L of acidity, and 138g/L residual sugar.
- Item #: i_238700Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 100% estate fruit, the 2018 Lucia Chardonnay is sourced from select barrels of the Pisoni and Soberanes vineyards. Combining distinctive characteristics from different vineyard sites, two characters become one as this youthful greenish-gold wine fills the glass. The higher elevations of Pisoni Vineyards add rich notes of baked apple, Bosc pear, and lemon curd, while the rocky, unyielding soil of the Soberanes Vineyard showcases signature notes of citrus blossom and wet stone. On the palate, complexity reigns as depth and nuance of flavor mingle seamlessly with bright, age-worthy acidity and a persistent, structured finish.
- Item #: i_238670Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard is a little more dense, focused, and tight, with beautiful black cherry and currant fruits as well as notes of camphor, new leather, violets, and earthy notes. I love its balance. Medium to full-bodied, it has nicely integrated acidity, subtle oak, and a great finish. It's going to keep for 7-8 years, easily. Along with the 2016, its the finest vintage of this release I've tasted!"
- Item #: i_238980Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92The Pisoni Family's wines are no stranger to our store, as their flamboyant personalities entice both novices and connoisseurs alike! The Family's Pinot Noirs and Syrah's (produced under several labels) typically garner most of the hype with high scores, and this entry-level priced Syrah is no exception! Upon tasting the 2016 a few years back, a few of us Hi-Time staff members agreed that by way of Syrah's, this was our new favorite under $20! We should note there are a few tough competitors in this price category as well!
Well, the 2018 has been released, and we just had to taste it to see if lightning would strike twice. Folks...this is HANDS DOWN one of the best Syrah values in the world! And having this wine earn 92 points from esteemed wine critic Jeb Dunnuck, this won't be around for long!
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Readers looking for high-quality wines that won't break the bank should check out these latest releases from Luli...In addition to the Pinot Noirs, Luli releases a terrific Syrah. The 2018 Syrah Santa Lucia Highlands comes from a handful of sites and was 40% destemmed and brought up in neutral oak. This deep purple-colored effort offers a cool-climate, Saint-Joseph-like vibe in its black and blue fruits, black pepper, green herbs, and rocky, earthy minerality. With medium-bodied richness, plenty of fruit, good acidity, and ripe tannins, it's a terrific Syrah to enjoy over the coming 5-7 years."