- Item #: i_201230Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Arietta's 2014 Merlot Hudson Vineyards is gorgeous. Surprisingly, it is also richer, deeper and more pedigreed than the Quartet and Cabernet Sauvignon in this vintage. Exquisitely layered and supple, the 2014 possesses striking depth to match its creamy, inviting personality. Layers of plum, black cherry and mocha built into the supple, inviting finish. Naturally, the 2014 is quite young. It can be enjoyed today, but readers who appreciate the complexity that develops only in bottle will have to be patient."
- Item #: i_204500Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Vinous Media: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "Very deep purple-black colored, the 2014 Pluribus offers up notions of crushed black plums, black currant cordial and pencil shavings over a meaty core of chargrill and beef drippings plus hints of Chinese five spice and underbrush. Full-bodied and firmly framed with chewy tannins and a lively backbone, it features plenty of earthy and savory layers, finishing long and minerally."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2014 Pluribus is stellar. Once again, I am deeply impressed with the Pluribus. Inky blue/purplish fruit, lavender, mint, plum and licorice infuse this super-expressive, resonant Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon. Pluribus is the most improved Bond wine. This flight of 2014 makes that quite evident."
- Item #: i_215550Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Extracted and supple, offering ripe currant, loamy earth, green olive, savory herb and cedary oak flavors that fall comfortably into place. Ends with a long, graceful finish. Best from 2018 through 2030."
ROBERT PARKER 91 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon, which has 8% Petit Verdot added, has a dense ruby/purple color, beautiful blackcurrant fruit, plum, spice box and earth. It is medium to full-bodied, with supple tannins and seems classic and very much 2014 in style with its front-end-loaded fruit, lushness and irresistibility. This charming and complex wine should drink nicely for the next 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_214180Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is super-refined, polished and articulate, with mid-weight structure and fine overall balance. Readers should expect a somewhat laid-back wine by Dalla Valle's standards. In 2014, the Cabernet Sauvignon is especially aromatic and nuanced. It should drink well with minimal cellaring."
- Item #: i_214170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Vinous Media: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "The 2014 Maya is powerful, compact and closed in on itself. That's not much of a surprise given the wine was just bottled a few months ago. Dark, powerful and intense, the 2014 offers plenty of energy, but is also holding back much of its potential at this stage. The blend is 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Cabernet Franc, which is to say more Cabernet than has been the norm in recent years. There is plenty of intensity to the pomegranate, plum, red cherry and blood orange flavors, but the wine needs time to come into its own."
ROBERT PARKER 95+ POINTS - "...the 2014 Maya Proprietary Red may not be as perfect as the 2013 was, but it is a fabulous effort. Finishing at 14.6% alcohol, this wine (generally a blend of about 60% Cabernet Franc and the rest Cabernet Sauvignon) has incredibly gorgeous aromatics of black and blue fruits, forest floor, violets, and an almost Graves-like, scorched earth, gravelly nuance. The wine hits the palate with a full-bodied richness and terrific harmony among its structural elements such as alcohol, acidity, tannin and wood, with moderately sweet tannins in the finish. It is a good 30- to 35-year wine, as most Mayas have tended to be, and is impressive and surprisingly structured for a 2014. Forget it for 3-4 years and drink it over the following 35-40 years."
- Item #: i_200380Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91The David Arthur Estate is located high on Pritchard Hill, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. The rough mountain terrain and rocky red soils provide ideal growing conditions for wine grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1978, Donald Long and his 28 year old son David began the epic job of building roads, clearing land and finally planting wine grapes. Although David lacked a formal viticultural education, he learned hands-on by working in the vineyards and cellars of local wineries such as the Chappellet and Joseph Phelps. The first vintage of Chardonnay was harvested in 1985, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon in the nineties. As his experience and knowledge of the land grew, David learned the ability of these hills to grow the very finest wine grapes. Today, with the help of a highly insightful team, David Arthur continues to cultivate rich concentrated wine grapes that in turn help them craft distinctive and memorable wines.
Meritaggio is the brainchild of the Long brothers. Wanting to fulfill his desire of producing a fine Meritage blend, David set out to find clones of the five classic Bordeaux varietals. On his travels, he came across Sangiovese, which stole the spotlight from any Malbec he had ever tasted. Bob had the brilliance to name the wine "Meritaggio" in honor of Sangiovese's Italian Heritage.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "Winemaker Nile Zacherle has done a fabulous job with the 2014s at David Arthur. The wines showed just as well, or better, than they did last year."
"The 2014 Meritaggio Estate is a very beautiful, classy wine. Bright, focused and nuanced, the 2014 offers striking aromatics and finely sculpted fruit, all in a refreshing, mid-weight style that will drink well early. Red stone fruit and sweet floral notes are pushed forward in this attractive mid-weight wine. The 2014 has a bit less Sangiovese than in the past."
- Item #: i_222350Bottle Size: 750mlThe Fontanella Cabernets first caught our eyes while being poured at a trade tasting and it tasted better than several others selling for a lot more money! Jeff cut his "winemaking teeth" at Opus One and ZD, so he knows how to get everything he wants out of his grapes. This bottling is all Mt. Veeder fruit, aged for 21 months entirely in French oak.
The Fontanella 2014 Cabernet leads with black currant and cherries. Mouth-filling cassis and black plum flavors are highlighted by sweet barrel notes and the trademark Mt. Veeder minerality. The long, lingering finish makes this the perfect Cab to savor with a meal – or just some great company.
- Item #: i_226700Bottle Size: 750mlFounded in 2005 by third-generation Napa farmer Tom Gamble, Gamble Family Vineyards farms approximately 175 acres of prime estate vineyards from several of Napa Valley's most respected AVAs – Oakville, Yountville, Mt. Veeder, and Rutherford. Set in an isolated nook off of Highway 29 in the heart of Napa Valley's Oakville District, the winery, open to guests by invitation, has a quiet and pastoral presence. Tom Gamble's mission is to carry on the heritage of quality farming that his ancestors sowed when they came to Napa as farmers and ranchers in 1916. A family farming for over 100 years does so only through constant reinvestment in the environment and the people that support it. Knowledge and abilities evolve over time. Constant improvement means always trying new things and keeping what works. His winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
For 2014, the final blend is comprised of 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Cabernet Franc, 28% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot, aged in French oak barrels, of which 46% were new.
- Item #: i_229110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Juicy, with an engaging mix of red currant, blood orange and raspberry coulis fruit, laced with rooibos tea, mineral, sassafras and mineral notes. Ripe and tightly focused, showing a racy edge that imparts nice lift from start to finish. Best from 2020 through 2035. 2,086 cases made"
- Item #: i_229230Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2002, Heitz planted cabernet vines on Howell Mountain near the gateway to the Linda Falls Preserve. That same year they donated an adjacent 21 acres to the Land Trust as a conservation easement for the preserve, for hikers and nature lovers to enjoy the splendor of the waterfall, which runs year-round. Stretching above the fog at an average elevation of 1500 feet, this area is known for well-drained, volcanic soils and a cooler climate which results in longer hangtime. The vines are planted in narrow rows, deliberately positioned to capture the strongest rays of the summer sun. As the fruit matures, the dense spacing and abundant sunshine leads to a low yield of smaller berries with thick, deeply-hued skins. This picturesque, hilly vineyard is surrounded by pine trees, deer, and bears; a truly special slice of Napa Valley.
Winemaker's Notes: "Its full palate shows how refined and elegant a Howell Mountain wine can be; a firm tannin structure yet silky, with a juicy lingering finish. Undeniably made in the classic Heitz style, it has a liveliness to it with balanced acidity."
- Item #: i_241330Bottle Size: 750ml"Old school", "classic" Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity wth an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_241380Bottle Size: 750ml'Old school', 'classic' Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity with an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_245320Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Coming all from clone 1 Cabernet Franc in the To Kalon Vineyard, the 2014 Force de la Nature is an incredibly singular, exotic, complex 2014 that has loads of red and blue fruits, exotic flowers, incense, and blood orange-like aromas and flavors. About as elegant and seamless as they come, with ultra-fine tannin and no hard edges, it's an incredible expression of Cabernet Franc from Napa Valley."
- Item #: i_245360Bottle Size: 750mlA single barrel bottling of 100% Cabernet Franc crafted by legendary winemaker Luc Morlet • Fruit comes exclusively from the renowned Oakville Bench in the heart of the Napa Valley • Natural fermentation occurred in a highly soughtafter Darnajou Puncheon French oak barrel • The strong personality of this 2014 amazes now and will gain incredible complexity for 35-plus years Wine Facts • Wine is unfiltered • Single vineyard wine • Sustainably produced
- Item #: i_282080Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "I loved these latest releases from Luc Morlet and family, and they show a sensational mix of classic, balanced, even old-school, characters mixed with killer California fruit. As a whole, the 2014s show more elegance and complexity, with the 2015s possessing more power and richness. These are rockstar wines."
"The 2014 Morlet Estate comes from the western foothills just north of St. Helena and is 99% Cabernet Sauvignon. It has a Pauillac-like austerity as well as awesome notes of black fruits, graphite, lead pencil shavings and loamy soils. Fresh, focused, full-bodied and powerful, this classic, structured Cabernet Sauvignon needs 2-4 years of bottle age but will have 20-25 years of overall longevity."
- Item #: i_248490Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2014 Opus One is not as showy or obvious as some of the other surrounding vintages, but it will have its day. Stylistically, the 2014 is bright and also a touch linear, with a construction built more on focus rather than opulence. Readers should plan on giving the 2014 another few years in bottle at a minimum. The mid-weight style is a bit Old World-leaning in this striking, super-classic Opus One."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Blended of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc, 6% Merlot, 5% Petit Verdot and 2% Malbec, the Opus One 2014 Proprietary Red Wine sports an inky purple color and nose of crushed black and red currants, black cherries and mulberries with touches of underbrush, sauteed herbs and pencil shavings plus a waft of spice box. Medium-bodied, finely crafted and with an energetic line lifting the red and black fruits, it has a bold frame of grainy tannins and a very long, earth and spice-layered finish."
- Item #: i_249080Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94We've followed Tony Biagi and his winemaking talents for several years, from his times at Duckhorn and Paraduxx, to his more recent stays at Plumpjack, Cade, Hourglass and Sinegal. However, we are now proud to have his own Patria wines here at the store! Between the pedigree behind the wine and the quality of what is in the bottle, this label is poised to be on the radar of collectors and savvy connoisseurs alike. While we also carry the Patria Cabernet Sauvignon, Tony's "Avoyelles" bottling is a take on Cabernet Franc, a grape used in some of the best red wines in the world, such as Cheval Blanc from Bordeaux, or Dalla Valle's Maya from Napa.
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "The 2014 Oakville Ranch Avoyelles is an intriguing blend of 56% Cabernet Franc, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Petit Verdot. I thought this was an outrageously delicious, complex wine with notes of incense, camphor, blueberry liqueur, blackcurrants, licorice and a touch of new oak in the background. It is deep, full-bodied, velvety textured and voluptuous with superb density and relatively pure, deep blue and black fruits. This full-bodied wine will offer delicious drinking over the next 12-15+ years."
- Item #: i_249830Bottle Size: 750mlSingle barrel blend of 100% Petit Verdot, offered for the first time in over a decade • Fruit sourced from our estate Persephone Vineyard, Hebe Block, hence the fanciful name • Aged in new French oak barrels for 20 months • Rich fruit is an invitation to drink now, while chewy tannins signal the ageability of this wine Wine Facts • Single vineyard wine • Sustainably produced • Wine is 100% estate grown and bottled
- Item #: i_251330Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Pine Ridge has long been one of the cornerstones of Napa Valley's Stag's Leap District. Utilizing the deft hand of winemaker Michael Beaulac, their wines have gone from fantastic to incredible! With the winery's commitment to quality and innovation, a vision emerged in 2003 to produce a wine that would embody the absolute best their estate vineyards have to offer. By carefully constructing a tête de cuvee from those vineyard blocks that emerge as standouts from the vintage, regardless of appellation, Pine Ridge has created an ultra-reserve Cabernet, dictated only by the philosophy of "simply the best."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The deep garnet-purple 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Fortis is scented of menthol with sautéed herbs and iodine over a core of baked blackcurrants and black plums plus scorched earth, tar, pepper and cedar suggestions. Medium to full-bodied, it's chewy and firm in the mouth with a good core of fruit but is still youthful and needs time."
- Item #: i_251320Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91+ POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District shows a medium to deep garnet-purple color and nose of baked plums, dried mulberries and cassis plus coffee with earth and herbs hints. Taut and chewy in the mouth, it finishes a little hard and chewy but with bags of depth."
- Item #: i_252000Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines produced for the Premiere Napa Valley auction are the pinnacle of achievement in the Napa Valley, and it serves as a means not only to promote the Napa Valley, but the talents of vineyard managers and winemakers. Hi-Time attends this trade-only auction every February, and we secure wines that show exceptional quality vis-à-vis their price points. Progeny’s offering was the best white wine we had tasted at the auction in several years, and we just had to get our hands on it! Following the success of their winery located on Howell Mountain, Paul Wools and Betty O’Shaughnessy-Wools set their sights on Mount Veeder, located in the western mountains of the Napa Valley. While this new site is planted to Cabernet Sauvignon (just like their Howell Mountain property), they also planted several Rhône varietals, which they have found to give the wines exotic bouquets. They soon realized that the white Rhône grapes were not just thriving on their property, but the final wines were superb! Winemaker Sean Capiaux (who has also worked at Peter Michael, Jordan and Pine Ridge) comprised a unique blend of Marsanne, Roussanne and Viognier fermented in a mix of French oak barrels, concrete and stainless steel, with no secondary (malolactic) fermentation. The wine is bright and clean, with aromas of honeycomb, wet granite, oyster shells and sea spray before moving to apricots and orchard fruits. This is actually a white for the decanter, because after 20-30 minutes of air time the wine gains in weight and richness, and flavors of pear, Fuji apple, a hint of oak and toasted almonds appear. The versatility of this wine is amazing; drink it immediately upon opening and it is a perfect match for shellfish and white fish. Let it breath and it will pair nicely with lobster bisque and chicken dishes. It’s almost like it’s a perfect mix between a white Rhône and a Chablis. Wonderful!