- Item #: i_202630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 95If you have ever thought about venturing into Oregon Pinot Noirs, now is your time! And if you are an Oregon Pinot Noir zealot, now is your time! 2015 is going down in the record books as one of the best vintages in the history of the state, with warm weather throughout most of the growing season, and the sun shining bright during harvest. The wines are forward, inviting, complex, and nuanced. Located in the Ribbon Ridge sub-region of the Willamette Valley, Beaux Freres is planted on steep, contiguous southward facing hillsides of Willakenzie soils, comprised of old marine sediment. With a focus on biodynamic farming, the vines are planted at high density and some vines on the property are 30 years old, with several being own rooted!
WINE SPECTATOR 95 POINTS - "Combines structure with verve, offering richly expressive raspberry, violet and orange peel flavors that take on polish and complexity toward wellbuffed tannins. Drink now through 2028."
- Item #: i_210440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Cabernet Franc comes from Napa Valley (I'm not exactly sure where the fruit is from) and is all varietal. It's a more opulent wine than the Cabernet and has considerable fruit, richness, and depth on the palate, loads of dark, chocolaty fruit, and terrific notes of spring flowers, gravelly earth, forest floor, and hints of espresso. Beautifully done and balanced, with sweet tannins, it's a beautiful wine."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2017 Cabernet Franc displays pronounced red and black cherries, mulberries and warm raspberries scents with underlying blueberries, pencil shavings and dried Provence herbs plus a waft of lavender. Medium to full-bodied, the palate offers mouth-filling red and blue fruits with a firm, grainy frame and bold freshness, finishing long and perfumed."
- Item #: i_214460Bottle Size: 750mlFermented in a combination of oak upright tanks, small barrel, concrete tanks, and open-top stainless steel fermenters, the 2015 Vaso is aromatically complex and captures the different terroirs and varieties of this Cabernet blend with fragrances of red currant, plums, sage, and loam with hints of tobacco box and spices. The entry has flavors of Bing cherries and dried herbs as the hillside tannins fills out the mid palate. The wine supple yet structured palate. Ripe strawberry, forest floor, and a light minerality linger on the finish. Lush and approachable now, this wine will continue to develop as the years pass.
- Item #: i_222820Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "A stunning, world-class wine from Red Mountain, the 2017 Syrah Estate is the finest example yet from this steep, rocky terroir and winemaker Todd Alexander. With extraordinary notes of blackberry, smoked game, cassis, graphite, charred meats, and spring flowers, it's reminiscent of a top Cote Rotie from the Cote Blonde. With full-bodied richness, a beautiful, layered, multi-dimensional texture, ripe tannins, and integrated oak, it's beautiful today yet will benefit from short-term cellaring and cruise for 15-20 years or more in cool cellars. This sensational wine will stand toe to toe with the best out there."
- Item #: i_226700Bottle Size: 750mlFounded in 2005 by third-generation Napa farmer Tom Gamble, Gamble Family Vineyards farms approximately 175 acres of prime estate vineyards from several of Napa Valley's most respected AVAs – Oakville, Yountville, Mt. Veeder, and Rutherford. Set in an isolated nook off of Highway 29 in the heart of Napa Valley's Oakville District, the winery, open to guests by invitation, has a quiet and pastoral presence. Tom Gamble's mission is to carry on the heritage of quality farming that his ancestors sowed when they came to Napa as farmers and ranchers in 1916. A family farming for over 100 years does so only through constant reinvestment in the environment and the people that support it. Knowledge and abilities evolve over time. Constant improvement means always trying new things and keeping what works. His winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
For 2014, the final blend is comprised of 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Cabernet Franc, 28% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot, aged in French oak barrels, of which 46% were new.
- Item #: i_236270Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Starting off the Pinot Noirs, the 2018 Pinot Noir Russian River Valley was mostly destemmed and brought up in 31% new French oak. Its ruby/purple hue is followed by a wonderful bouquet of black cherries, darker raspberry, spice, and hints of earth and forest floor. It's a darker, spicy Russian River Valley effort that's medium to full-bodied and has terrific balance, ripe tannins, and a great finish. It shows the purity and class that now defines this estate. It's well worth seeking out and is going to keep for at least a decade."
- Item #: i_236500Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Pinot Noir Sta. Rita Hills was 90% destemmed and brought up in mostly neutral oak (French and Austrian). Its ruby/purple hue is followed by a beautiful bouquet of ripe strawberry and raspberry fruits interwoven with plenty of spice, flowery incense, and violet nuances. Ethereal, medium-bodied, and elegant on the palate, it has a terrific sense of balance, integrated acidity, and a great finish. It's not a blockbuster Pinot by any measure yet has complexity, balance, and length. I'm a big fan."
- Item #: i_236280Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsKosta Browne is one of the more iconic Pinot Noir producers in California. They gather grapes from their estate, as well as a select few key growers in the state, and Kosta Browne has even received Wine Spectator's Wine of the Year award in the past! This grapes for this bottling were sourced from vineyards closer to the coast than some of their other properties. The wine was fermented in stainless steel, wood barrels, and concrete tanks for complexity, then was allowed to rest in French oak barrels (of which 35% were new) and concrete tanks. The nose on the wine has alluring notes of blackberry, blueberry, and rich raspberry, while the bold entry is followed by great tension, focus, a malleable structure, and a long finish.
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Another estate that has changed their style (for the better, I think), Kosta Browne's latest 2018s have beautiful purity and elegance as well as richness. They're certainly in the top handful of wines in this report."
"Brought up mostly in French oak, with a small amount in concrete, the 2018 Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast has that classic Sonoma Coast pretty red fruit-driven style as well as subtle white flower, spice, and even a kiss of minerality. It's beautifully balanced and medium-bodied, with an elegant, ethereal style that still has solid structure. It will drink well for a decade."
- Item #: i_270600Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 6% Malbec, 5% Rousanne, 3% Chardonnay, and 1% Petit Verdot, this wine opens with a melange of ripe black cherry, vanilla and violets, The Wheelman is plush and textured, dominated by boysenberry, dark cherry, milk chocolate, and cardamom. Well-balanced and rounded tannins lead to an elegant, bright, medium finish. Pair with grilled skirt steak in rosemary herbed butter or rosemary lamb chops with creamy polenta. Drink through 2032. Only 423 cases produced!
- Item #: i_270960Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine opens with a melange of Damask rose, dark chocolate and bay leaf. Velvety and plush, the palate is dominated by ripe raspberry interlaced with a bright acidity of tart cherry and a sprinkle of sage and white paper. Rounded tannins offer a long, lush finish. Pair with caramelized onion and mushroom pizza or short rib tacos. Drink now through 2030.
- Item #: i_236550Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "One of the top Merlots in the report is certainly the 2016 Merlot Howell Mountain from La Jota. This fabulous wine boasts a deep purple color as well as a true 'wow' nose of blackberries, ripe cherries, spice, bay leaf, and ample savory, complex herbal notes. It's medium to full-bodied, has a layered, balanced style, ripe tannins, and a great finish. Drink it any time over the coming two decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Blended of 90% Merlot, 5.5% Petit Verdot and 4.5% Tannat, the deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Merlot Howell Mountain struts out of the glass with vivacious notions of preserved plums, Black Forest cake and blackberry compote with touches of baking spices, black soil, truffles and licorice. The palate is full, rich, concentrated and earthy with firm, grainy tannins and great freshness, finishing long and earthy. 1,657 cases produced."
- Item #: i_236790Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled has been blended with 5% Merlot, 2% Malbec, 2% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot. It has a medium to deep ruby color and nose of cassis, blackcurrant bud, baker's chocolate, cedar, Morello cherries and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, it has a good core of minerally fruit with firm, chewy tannins, good freshness and a long, earthy finish."
- Item #: i_237930Bottle Size: 750ml"So good!" - a direct quote from their winemaker Josh Widaman when they finished final barrel selections for the 2017 Napa Cabernet. Dense, layered aromas with sweet cocoa, alluring oak spice and wow-factor frontal fruit, the wine is showy yet seriously structured. Creamy melted berry character gives way to supple muscle with integrated tannins and a long, lavish finish.
- Item #: i_277766Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "Saturated ruby. Powerful red and dark berry preserve scents are complemented by suggestions of exotic spices, incense and floral pastilles, and a smoky mineral flourish adds urgency. Sappy and seamless in texture, offering vivacious raspberry and cherry liqueur and spicecake flavors energized by a strong jolt of juicy acidity. The blend of power and energy here is really impressive. Smooth, harmonious tannins build steadily on a strikingly long, seamless finish that leaves behind candied lavender and juicy red berry notes."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "I’ve written it numerous time, but Linne Calodo remains one of the reference point estates in Paso Robles. Winemaker/owner Matt Trevisan consistently puts together exotic and singular blends that deliver opulence as well as balance."
"The 2016 Rising Tides knocks it out of the park in 2016. A blend of 77% Grenache, 14% Mourvedre, and 9% Syrah, this ruby-tinged beauty boasts thrilling notes of black raspberries, crushed flowers, dried herbs, and incense. Beautifully textured, medium to full-bodied, and elegant, it's a sensational Grenache blend that does everything right. Brought up in a mix of concrete tanks and neutral larger French oak barrels, it's one of the finest vintages for this cuvee to date. Drink it any time over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_238840Bottle Size: 750mlLike every top Chateau in Bourdeaux, the great Spottswoode Estate also has a second label: Lyndenhurst. The allure is that you get to taste a blueprint of the flagship bottling earlier, and in a very approachable fashion. The Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon enjoys the same pedigree as Spottswoode (which has earned a perfect 100 points score for their last two vintages) and shares characteristics easily recognizable to those already familiar with the essence of the Spottswoode estate. All organically farmed and aged in French oak barrels for 20 months, this wine truly shows the power and exceedingly high quality of the 2016 vintage!
On the approach, the 2016 Lyndenhurst sings a polished and youthful tone and soon reveals generosity and sophistication. The progression is long and opulent, punctuated by notes of cedar, winter mint, bergamot, briar, sandalwood, and chestnuts. There are layers of fruit-blueberry and soft, dark cherry open to aromas of blackberry, intermingled with warming notes of vanilla bean and cocoa powder. The wine is held together with a bright, linear acidity complemented by dark, silken tannins that together leave a lingering finish.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Another gorgeous wine in this range, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is wonderfully fresh, vibrant and nuanced. Black cherry, plum, spice, lavender, new leather and menthol overtones develop in the glass, but like so many 2016s, the Lyndenhurst simply dazzles with its exquisite balance and total class."
- Item #: i_238800Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Like every top Château in Bordeaux, the great Spottswoode Estate also has a second label: Lyndenhurst. The allure is that you get to taste a blueprint of the flagship bottling earlier, and in a very approachable fashion. The Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon enjoys the same pedigree as Spottswoode (which has earned a perfect 100 points score for their last two vintages) and shares characteristics easily recognizable to those already familiar with the essence of the Spottswoode estate. All organically farmed and aged in French oak barrels for 20 months, this wine truly shows the power and exceedingly high quality of the 2015 vintage! On the approach, the 2015 Lyndenhurst sings a polished and youthful tone and soon reveals generosity and sophistication. The progression is long and opulent, punctuated by notes of cedar, winter mint, bergamot, briar, sandalwood, and chestnuts. There are layers of fruit—blueberry and soft, dark cherry opening to aromas of blackberry, intermingled with warming notes of vanilla bean and cocoa powder. The wine is held together with a bright, linear acidity complemented by dark, silken tannins that together leave a lingering finish.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is pliant, supple and inviting. Dark cherry jam, plum, chocolate, spice and new leather are pushed forward in this racy, succulent Cabernet Sauvignon. A wine with no hard edges and plenty of allure, the 2015 will drink well with minimal cellaring. In the Lyndenhurst, readers will find an affordable Cabernet that showcases the best 2015 has to offer, in its peer group, naturally."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "This is Spottswoode's second wine. Around 50% to 55% of the fruit comes from the estate. The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is mainly Cabernet Sauvignon (80%) with 12% Merlot and splashes of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, it delivers bold, enticing black cherries, mulberries and warm plums scents with touches of cassis, fragrant earth, unsmoked cigars and menthol plus a waft of bay leaves. Medium-bodied, the earth-laced black fruit dances on the palate, supported by plush tannins and finishing on an allspice-laced note."
- Item #: i_238850Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+Like every top Château in Bordeaux, the great Spottswoode Estate also has a second label: Lyndenhurst. The allure is that you get to taste a blueprint of the flagship bottling earlier, and in a very approachable fashion. The Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon enjoys the same pedigree as Spottswoode (which has earned a perfect 100 points score for their last two vintages) and shares characteristics easily recognizable to those already familiar with the essence of the Spottswoode estate.
Aged for 20 months in French oak barrels, with crimson fruits and bramble, the 2017 Lyndenhurst unveils aromas of fresh thyme, cedar, lilac, juniper, and a wild understory. Fine, silken tannins entice the palate through an array of textures. All the while, a resonating acidity brings dynamism and precision through this wine's long, layered progression. This is a wine with a refined poise in youth with a unique ability to offer enjoyment in its early years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is blended of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc, 2% Malbec and 1% Petit Verdot. Deep garnet-purple in color, it offers soft spoken notes of dried lavender, wild blueberries, fresh black currants and kirsch plus hints of dried herbs, unsmoked cigars and spice cake. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a solid structure of ripe, grainy tannins and plenty of freshness to support the muscular, beautifully retrained flavors, finishing on a lingering earthy note."
- Item #: i_241380Bottle Size: 750ml'Old school', 'classic' Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity with an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_241020Bottle Size: 750mlMaxem is the personal project of Sam and Nancy Kaplan. Sam, in his winemaking career, has been on the ground floor of some of Napa Valley’s most exciting wine projects in recent history (including Arkenstone, Memento Mori, and Vangone), helping to plant vineyards, build wineries and cement reputations with wines that speak of the unparalleled sites in which they’re grown. Nancy, as a chef, spent years in top restaurants in New York and Napa Valley, honing her craft and her palate beside celebrated chefs who demanded nothing less than perfection.
In Latin, MAXEM has the distinction of meaning "best of the best." It also combines the proprietors' two children's names, Max and Emma. Hence, for this wine, nothing but the best vineyard would suffice...enter Ulisis Valdez. Ulises was an immigrant who worked for others for decades before striking out on his own. He namaged to find a parcel that he felt would produce some of the best Pinot Noir and Chardonnay in the entirety of the Sonoma Coast. He was right, as the fruit from his vineyard has produced some of the highest scoring wines ever to come out of Sonoma! this Chardonnay is produced from the famed Wente clone of Chardonnay, grown on the UV property.
- Item #: i_245460Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94The heritage of Mount Eden Cabernet Sauvignon dates back to the 1890s, when the famed viticulturist Emmett Rixford of Woodside, California obtained selected cuttings from Chateau Margaux in Bordeaux, France. Rixford planted his famous La Questa Vineyard with these selections, in the same proportions as found at Margaux.
In the late 1940s Martin Ray planted his first Cabernet vineyard with cuttings from the La Questa Vineyard. Mount Eden's present-day Estate Cabernet Sauvignon vines were planted in the early 1980s using cuttings taken from these vines. Yields are low, typically one to two tons per acre. Soils are very thin (1-12 inches), with a dominant base of Franciscan shale. The climate is cool, especially for Cabernet, and influenced by the vineyard’s altitude and its proximity to San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The vines are trellised in a modern fashion, which allows for a more uniform ripening. The vineyard also contains small blocks of Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Mount Eden's Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the hidden gems, not just in the Santa Cruz Mountains, but in wine more broadly. The 2015 is bold, deep and pungent, with striking fruit density and tons of aromatic nuance. Jeffrey Patterson told me he had never seen such a tiny crop. Some vines produced no fruit at all. As a result, the 2015 was aged entirely in new oak, all of which it handles very well. The balance of savory Cabernet aromatics, fruit and structure is already terrific, and will only improve with more time in bottle."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "In all my years, I've never seen a Cabernet vintage like 2015, in terms of yield," Jeffrey Patterson tells me. "We had very low yields. The vines didn't have clusters. It was the tail end of the drought, and the year before was so dry. Normally, small yields are caused by shatter at bloom. But in 2015, it was just an absence of clusters." The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot and was aged almost entirely in new barrels. It has a medium to deep ruby color and is more powerful and intense on the nose than the 2015 version, with aromas of blackcurrant bud, cassis, bay leaf, pencil shavings, dark chocolate and cedar with savory/meaty hints, plus tons of red fruit sparks and licorice hints. It's medium to full-bodied with intense, ripe fruits laced with savory and herbal accents. It has a frame of juicy acidity and grainy, ripe tannins, finishing very long and energetic. 728 cases produced.