- Item #: i_206720Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 91Blackbird Vineyards has provided quietly fruit to many of Napa's finest wineries: Lail, Pride, and Viader. Mia Klein, formerly at Dalla Valle, created a vineyard-designate for her highly acclaimed 1999 Selene Merlot. Three of the top critics (Parker, Tanzer and Wine Spectator), scored their first release in the 90s. Blackbird continues to provide fruit to such winemakers as Bob Foley (Robert Foley, Hourglass).
The Blackbird wines are crafted by Aaron Pott, a winemaker who has a one-of-a-kind pedigree and produces several highly sought-after wines. The grapes for the Arise bottling come brom Blackbird's own vineyards in the Oak Knoll District, augmented with fruit from Hudson Vineyard in Carneros, Stagecoach Vineyard in the Vaca Mountains, and Crocker and Starr Vineyard.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Arise Proprietary Red is a blend of 55% Merlot, 25% Cabernet Franc, 17% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petit Verdot. It has a deep garnet-purple color and opens with fragrant black cherries, black raspberries and warm plums scents with hints of underbrush, dried herbs, raspberry leaves and spice box. Medium-bodied and elegantly styled in the mouth, the palate has great vivacity with a grainy texture and long, lively finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Arise is a very pretty wine. Lifted and floral, with lovely brightness from the Cabernet Franc in the blend, the 2016 is super-expressive today. Bright red cherry, rose petal and mint notes add freshness to this attractive, mid-weight red from Blackbird."
- Item #: i_205880Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94Bootleg Red is a new production by Jackson Family Wine Collection; these are the people who own and produce awesome estate wines like Freemark Abbey, La Jota, and StoneStreet just to name a few. Trust us; there are too many "household" names you would recognize for us to list them all but you now have an idea of the quality they bring to the table.
This offering is their entry to the California "Red" category, a section of the domestic wine industry that has seen tremendous growth with labels such as "The Prisoner" becoming brands that everyone who drinks California wine has heard of. In terms of sales this category is as hot as Cabernet Sauvignon! This particular wine is a blend of 37% Merlot, 33% Petit Sirah, and 30% Syrah.
So what sets this apart from other blends and why should you try it? Fruit sources; using Vineyards they own, the Jackson Family sourced grapes from prestigious sub-AVAs within Napa like Yountville, Howell Mountain, and Mt Veeder, with the balance of fruit (18%) coming from their Mendocino Vineyards. The blending components going into this Red comes from outstanding vineyards of whom we all love. Plain and simple, you have outstanding winegrowing, winemaking and wine-blending with Bootleg Red!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS! "It reveals a healthy purple color as well as a terrific bouquet of sweet creme de cassis, toasted bread, Asian spices, lavender, and dried herbs. With a fabulous texture, full body, notable purity of fruit, and a rich yet graceful style on the palate, it's one seriously hedonistic yet balanced, complex red that knocks it out of the park. Drink this rocking little gem any time over the coming 4-6 years. (I wouldn't be surprised to see it keep longer.)"
- Item #: i_206430Bottle Size: 750mlSituated in the mountains above Conn Valley and near the base of Howell Mountain, the Buehler Estate vineyards are planted primarily to Cabernet Sauvignon. The juxtaposed topography of steeply sloped hillsides with eastern exposures against very gently sloping hills with southern and southwestern exposures hints at the tumultuous geologic past of the Estate; extensive faulting resulted in at least three distinct soil types. Not surprisingly, grapes grown on the different soils give different characteristics to the finished wines; these differences are often as great as the differences across various Bordeaux varieties and allow Buehler to blend within the variety of Cabernet Sauvignon to craft a truly multi-faceted Estate wine.
The aromas hint at black fruit: ripe black cherries and black plums. Enticing barrel qualities of cola and spice complement the fruit aromas. On the palate, the wine shows layers of deeply extracted flavors that only mature hillside vineyards can render. Buehler's Estate Cabernet is the most age-worthy wine they produce and may be enjoyed anytime over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_211030Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of fruit from Oakville and Atlas Peak. These two sub-regions of the Napa Valley typically sell anywhere upwards of $60 per bottle, but this one costs less than $40!!
- Item #: i_232890Bottle Size: 750mlNamed for the old grist mill that was found on the property, Grist sits pretty at 1000 ft. elevation on Bradford Mountain in the Dry Creek Valley AVA. The site was originally planted 100 years ago, and has since been replanted in the early 1970s. Farming here is CCOF Organic. The 58 acres under vine are head trained and cane pruned, and have spectacular views of the fog line driving in 15 miles west from the Pacific Ocean. Between Grist and the beachfront lie 15 miles of mountain lions, deer, and unspoiled forest.
- Item #: i_216310Bottle Size: 750mlMount Eden has a long and glorious history. Originally planted by a man named Martin Ray, many of the original Mount Eden Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays are some of the best renditions California has ever produced! Flash-forward to the present, and the wines are just as good as they always were. In addition to their estate wines, they produce a second wine called Domaine Eden. Sourced from a well-maintained vineyard just one mile away from their estate, Mount Eden utilizes the same exacting methods for their estate wines: natural indigenous fermentations (both primary and secondary), French Burgundy barrels, no fining, filtration or any other manipulation. This bottling is bigger and more full-bodied than its more expensive sibling, but is still distinctively Burgundian in its profile.
- Item #: i_218880Bottle Size: 750mlElk Cove's Chardonnay is hand picked then gently whole-cluster pressed to avoid bitterness. The juice is fermented in large puncheons and a mix of neutral and new oak barrels. They age in barrel for a full 12 months with some stirring on the lees after malolactic fermentation. This is their classic take on Chardonnay, one of the original varietals they planted in 1974 and grew for over 20 years.
A fruity nose sets the stage with lemon meringue, baked pineapple and wafts of almond cookie and creme brulee. Generous yet streamlined, this wine has a rich, creamy mouthfeel of quince and toasted coconut accented by fresh lemon peel and baking spice.
- Item #: i_229100Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93All of the grapes in Gallo's Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon come from their acclaimed William Hill Estate vineyard in Southern Napa. Set above the valley floor at varying elevations, this vineyard sees diverse microclimates and basks in abundant sunlight, thanks to its southwestern exposure. Volcanic soils that are rocky, thin and nutrient-deprived stress the vines to produce smaller berries with vivid flavor and color concentration. Significant variation between day and night temperatures at this vineyard yield red Bordeaux varietals - Cabernet Sauvignon in particular - with intense fruit character and refined acidity.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley comes sashaying out of the glass with floral notes of violets and lilacs over a core of warm cassis, baked black cherries and mulberries plus touches of cedar and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is an exercise in poise with lovely fine-grained tannins and well-knit freshness supporting the bold black fruits, finishing long and fragrant. Terrific value! 485 cases were made."
- Item #: i_232140Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90The wine opens with aromas of raspberry, mandarin orange peel and nutmeg. In the mouth stone fruit, pink grapefruit, Tahitian lime, blood orange, raspberry with a gentle mouthfeel. A food friendly wine that works with most styles, sauces and preparations.
Pairs well with full flavored fish, pork chops, and chicken. Also try with crispy kale and stir fried vegetables. All you really need is dark, bittersweet chocolate!
- Item #: i_232380Bottle Size: 750mlJamieson Ranch Vineyards is the southernmost winery in the Napa Valley. The property's rolling hillsides and vineyards were formerly Part of General Mariano Vallejo's Rancho Suscol in the mid-1800's. Today, the ranching tradition continues with cattle grazing the hillsides, an apiary, and of course, prime vineyards. The soils are clay loam, which means the grapes will help give rich fruit profiles to the finished wine. Also, the excellent water drainage in the ground means smaller berries which helps to intensify color, aromas, and flavors. Combine this with the owners being good stewards of the land, along with the help of a fantastic winemaking, and you have some of the ingredients for producing amazing wine!
Most of the southern portion of the Napa Valley tends to be on the cool side, and prime location for grapes such as Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. But there are some warm pockets here-and-there where Bordeaux varietals like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot thrive just as well as the rest of the valley. Jamieson Ranch sits in one of those pockets, and boy have they hit a home run with their Double Lariat Cabernet!
- Item #: i_267960Bottle Size: 750MLThe vineyards for this wine are all located in the heart of the Russian River Valley, approximately 15-18 miles from the Pacific Ocean. They represent a variety of soil types, viticultural practices and clonal selections, but each carries the overiding characteristics of the best of the Russian River Valley. The blend varies from year to year. This year it includes wine from the Trenton Estate Vineyard, Trenton View, Saralee's, Catie's Corner, Ritchie, Solas, DNA, and Great Oak.
Aroma: Spring time in the forest, flowers and new growth along with wild berries. In the mouth, more structure and tannic than previous vintages, but still supple. Flavors of wild dark berries and cardamons. Typical of the 2016 vintage for Russian River Valley pinots noirs, darker fruits with a bit more muscle. Seriously good juice.
- Item #: i_234220Bottle Size: 750mlGrowing up just outside of Sacramento, California, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Charles Smith began craving worldly travel at a young age due to his Welsh mother and French father. As soon as he had the chance, Charles decided to move to Denmark. While in Scandinavia, Charles spent the next nine years managing rock bands and concert tours throughout Europe, including the famed Danish duo, The Ravonettes. Wining and dining while on the road became a catalyst for his passion of wine, which ultimately triggered the career he has today.
A self-taught winemaker, Charles is a true artisan and a pioneer in the wine world. In 2008, K Vintners was recognized by Wine and Spirits magazine as one of the "Best New Wineries of the Last Ten Years," and as "Winery of the Year in their annual buying guide. In 2009 Food and Wine magazine awarded Charles "Winemaker of the Year" and in 2010 Seattle Magazine recognized Charles as their "Winemaker of the Year."
- Item #: i_233980Bottle Size: 750mlKeenan Winery is located in Spring Mountain District, high in the Mayacamas mountain range above the town of Saint Helena. Eleven acres of Merlot vines have been planted in the rocky soils surrounding the winery, and it is these vines that produce some of the finest Merlot in Napa. The vineyards are situated above the dense layer of fog that creeps up the Napa Valley most evenings. Consequently the vines warm up earlier in the morning and stay warm through the night. The combination of warm temperatures, steep hillside vine rows and gravelly soils promotes more stress on the vines leading to increased intensity in the finished wine.
- Item #: i_277460Bottle Size: 750mlLiteral is a blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon and 50% Syrah. The Cabernet hails from the Valle de Guadalupe and the Syrah is grown in Uruapan, a valley in the southern end of Ensenada. This wine presents an intense and radiant red color. Aromatic notes of red and dark berries are present, predominantly raspberry, a hint of spices, cacao and vanilla, a byproduct of the oak barrels aging. With each sip we are presented with soft tannins, good structure and acidity.
- Item #: i_238940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92The grapes for this Chardonnay came exclusively from Macrostie's Wildcat Mountain Vineyard, owned by Steve MacRostie and his partners Nancy and Tony Lilly. Here the vines dig into the sparse volcanic soil and stand firm against the strong winds that race in off of the Pacific Ocean most afternoons. This fog-shrouded mountaintop vineyard is a classic Sonoma Coast site, cool and challenging, and produces wines of great distinction.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - ""The 2016 Wildcat Mountain Vineyard Chardonnay delivers notes of white peaches, ripe Golden Delicious apples and Bosc pears with hints of allspice, shaved almonds and chalk dust. The palate nails it with intense yet elegantly played apple and pear flavors, accented with plenty of toast and spice, and gives a long, refreshing finish. 1,595 cases produced."
- Item #: i_241870Bottle Size: 750mlNamed in honor of Rolando Herrera's Father and their ancestral hometown in Michoacan, Mexico, "La Chole" is a blend of Syrah, Malbec, and a touch of Cabernet Sauvignon. Napa Valley's "sweet spot," fruit from the Oak Knoll AVA ripens slowly, maintaining freshness and aroma lift, while developing a soft mouthfeel with balanced alcohol and acidity. The Coombsville AVA lends soft but significant tannins, which provide excellent structure and mouthfeel, along with underlying layers of earth and mineral flavors. Approachable yet, sophisticated and layered.
Harmony in a glass, the bouquet has wisps of vanilla and caramel with ripe red fruits, violets, dried roses, white pepper, espresso, and coffee. Silky and elegant on the palate, the well-balanced flavors of black cherry, dried fig, and ripe plums, along with a kiss of oak, seamlessly integrate and carry though to the lingering finish.
- Item #: i_216945Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "The 2016 Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon has also been blended with 8% Merlot, 2% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Franc. It has a nose of healthy red and black fruit along with the dusty Red Mountain minerality. Medium to full-bodied, the palate reveals a well-made wine with precision and balance and evolving expressions of red flowers, dusty minerality and balancing tannins on the long, well-structured finish. The overall production was 20,000 cases."
- Item #: i_256740Bottle Size: 750mlNotes from Winemaker Robert Foley: "The Charbono shows a rare combination for a California red of thorough ripeness and bright tangy acidity. The beautiful deep, opaque ruby color provides a visual clue to the ripeness, which shows again in aromas of mixed berry fruit jam and vanilla. The full mid palate is framed with lively acidity that gives way to velvety soft tannin in the finish. This is a very versatile food wine!
"Charbono is one of the lost grape varieties – almost. Recent reports indicate there are only about 70 acres of this variety in existence, half of this in Napa county. The original cuttings were imported to Calistoga in the Napa Valley from the Savoie region in the French Alps in about 1880. Its original name was Doux Noir, or "soft black," later called Charbonneau (carbon water). Subsequently, Charbono was wiped out in Europe by the Phylloxera root louse infestation. Some believed it to be the Italian grape variety Dolcetto but this was proven not to be the case through genetic testing. After repeal of Prohibition in the U.S., Charbono was used by Inglenook for blending with their new Cask Cabernet wines and small amounts were bottled as varietal wine. I tasted the 1968 Inglenook Charbono from cask in 1969 and was inspired to become a winemaker with that taste."
- Item #: i_256660Bottle Size: 750mlThe Griffin – the Foley family crest in Irish heraldry combines the strengths of the lion, king of beasts, with the eagle, king of the skies – is a fitting representation of our signature red blend. A winemaker's dream is to be artistically free to combine characters into wine that is purely hedonic and non-compliant with varietal regulations, so The Griffin's blend changes with every vintage.
A blend of 238% Merlot, 18% Petite Sirah, 17% Petit Verdot, 11% Syrah, 9% Charbono, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 2% other reds, the aromas suggest ripe black berry fruit with a floral hint. The richness of mid palate, balanced acidity and gentle tannin linger in a long finish.
- Item #: i_258355Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ENTHUSIAST 93 POINTS - "Wine Enthusiast - "This proves that sparkling wine does not have to be bone-dry to be sophisticated. Although moderately sweet, it is complex in aroma, elegant in texture and balance, rich in flavor and long on the finish. An appealing fresh-bread aroma leads to rich poached-pear flavors. This will be great with an after-dinner cheese course."
- Item #: i_275092Bottle Size: 750MLGenerous aromas of red apple, apricot, and candied lemon layered with fragrances of graham cracker and sourdough bread. Lush flavors coat the palate with cantaloupe, peach, and a hint of vanilla and marzipan. Crisp acidity gives way to a floral, honeyed finish.
- Item #: i_259000Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Wine Spectator: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Zinfandel Cortina offers more complexity in its earth dark fruits, underbrush, Caramelized cherries, and spice. Rich, medium to full-bodied, with ripe tannins and a solid sense of purity and freshness, this is a classy yet pleasure bent Zinfandel that will keep for a decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90+ POINTS - "The 2016 Zinfandel Cortina is medium ruby in color and youthfully coiled on the nose, taking its time to release scents of sliced nectarine, rhubarb, boysenberry and blueberry accented by dried flowers, warm earth, garrigue and loads of spiciness. The palate is still tight and reticent to show its juicy fruits. It has a soft texture and very pleasing, juicy acidity, finishing long. I suspect this will reward another couple of years in bottle. 2,458 cases produced."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Brooding and appealingly briary, with dark cherry, fresh sage and smoked pepper flavors that persist toward broad-shouldered tannins. Best from 2020 through 2027. 2,458 cases made."