- Item #: i_273561Bottle Size: 750MLDecanter: 91 PointsWine Enthusiast: 91 PointsWINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS - "With mid-summer comes the annual release of J's nonvintage Cuvée 20. This year's bottling is richer than last year's, and offers broad citrus, raspberry, vanilla and yeasty brioche flavors. The wine feels clean, vibrant and smooth. Editors’ Choice
DECANTER 91 POINTS - "Elegantly opens with fresh lemon peel, honeysuckle and autolysis aromas. Followed by a mix of apple and citrus notes with toast, caramel and almond flavours on the mid-palate. Lively acidity of citrus zest leads to a long, warm pear and lush aftertaste. Layers of depth and complexity."
- Item #: i_200004Bottle Size: 750mlThe 00 VGW (Very Good White) showcases the best of the Willamette Valley in a Chardonnay blend. Their "Black Chardonnay" production method results in a complex, savory Chardonnay, which has given 00 Wines an outstanding reputation for quality and attention to detail in the Willamette Valley after only two vintages of production. This annual blend is the signature Chardonnay entry into the world of 00 Wines. The 2016 VGW is a blend of single vineyard fermentations of Von Oehsen and Open Claim vineyards.
This wine is very reminiscent of a Chardonnay from Burgundy, displaying striking minerality, apple, bright pear, and focus.
- Item #: i_201470Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsProducers of Petite Sirah need to take note: there's a young gun out there who's going to show you some new moves! Winemaker Aaron Jackson is one amazing guy! He fully commits to whatever the task at hand is. So being the hardcore surfer that he is, you can imagine how dedicated to winemaking Aaron must be when he has to leave those firing Central Coast point breaks to head for the vineyards! His wines have been staples at our store for years, and it's amazing how he can make Petite Sirah taste so good, keep it complex yet easy to drink, and sell such a tasty wine for a reasonable price!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "(raised for 22 months in large French oak barrels, 55% of them new) Bright purple. Smoke-tinged cherry and blueberry compote aromas show excellent clarity, and a mocha element sneaks in as the wine stretches out. Sweet and pliant in the mouth, offering densely packed yet lively red and blue fruit and floral pastille flavors and a hint of five-spice powder. Shows impressive energy on the broad, chewy finish, which is firmed by building tannins and sharpened by a late jolt of juicy acidity."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The inky colored 2015 Petite Sirah offers classic sweet black and plum fruits as well as some smoky, barbecue notes in its full-bodied, layered, powerful style. With 12% Syrah in the blend and brought up in 55% new barrels, it stays beautifully balanced and is a joy to drink."
- Item #: i_201430Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsTrespasser is a blend of 41% Petite Sirah, 30% Mourvedre, 24% Syrah, and 5% Grenache. Typically, the blend is focused on Aaron's spiciest barrels of Petite Sirah, while the more savory Mourvedre and Syrah components are fermented with about 50% whole clusters. He's been slowly increasing the Mourvedre component over the years because of how well it thrives in Paso Robles, as well as how much he loves its deep, savory contribution to the blend. The aromatics scream of black licorice, dried blueberries, and pepper, the palate flowing effortlessly across the tongue with savory earth, tobacco, dense fruit, and ample tannins.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "Aside from a few notable exceptions (particularly Ridge), Petite Sirah never seems to get much love, in California, or anywhere else. Aaron Jackson is doing his part to change that at his eponymous winery, which he founded in 2002. The results have been pretty compelling. Jackson's wines, all Petite Sirah-centric or -dominant, must be among the most graceful renditions of the variety that I have ever experienced. With an undergraduate degree in enology from Cal Poly and a masters in enology from the University of Adelaide under his belt, Jackson knows a thing or two about winemaking, and he also brings his talents to a second project, Aequorea, which produces elegant Pinot Gris, Viognier and Pinot Noir from cool, coastal vineyards in San Luis Obispo County, to the south of Paso Robles."
"(aged in large French oak barrels, 20% of them new, for 22 months) Opaque purple. Highly expressive black and blue fruit scents are complemented by white pepper, allspice and floral pastille nuances. Sappy and broad in the mouth, offering deeply concentrated blackberry, cherry cola and spicecake flavors and a touch of candied licorice. Smooth, harmonious tannins build steadily on an impressively long, sweet finish that leaves behind floral and juicy dark berry notes."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Similarly deep ruby/purple-colored, the 2015 Trespasser (41% Petite Sirah, 30% Mourvedre, 24% Syrah, and the rest Grenache) gives up lots of blueberry, ground herbs, pepper, and smoky, meaty notes in its rich, concentrated, yet beautifully balanced personality. With notable freshness and purity, fine tannins, and a great finish, it's another sensational blend from these limestone hills on the west side of Paso Robles."
- Item #: i_200910Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine combines the best attributes of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, and Malbec from the Oakville and Yountville areas of Napa Valley. It possesses a vibrant, pomegranate hued, deep garnet color with a nose that reveals a panoply of aromas: blueberry liquor, dark red fruits, black cherry, with subtle notes of baking spices and cedar. A small percentage of beautifully ripe Malbec and Petite Verdot contribute hints of plum and leather respectively. These abundant fruit characteristics, along with a touch of vanilla, reveal themselves in the mouth with multiple layers of flavor that coat the mouth and continue to a long finish. The tannins are superfine and silky, carrying the fruit along the palate from entry to finish without ever being obtrusive. Both the Malbec and Petite Verdot further enhance the classical texture.
- Item #: i_200180Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2016, Adaptation continued to work with their favorite local growers to craft this wine. The majority of the Cabernet Sauvignon comes from Ink Grade (on the back side of Howell Mountain), which provides the framework and structure to carry this wine. They headed south incorporating vineyards in Pope Valley, Stags Leap District and Oak Knoll that complimented the abundance of tannin, color and structure already in place. This diversity and range within Napa Valley has allowed Adaptation to craft a wine which showcases the unique Napa Valley terroir in an approachable, elegant style.
A blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon and 15% Merlot, This approachable 2016 delivers notes of rainier cherries, currants, elderberries, incense, forest floor, and dried herbs with bright acidity, adding freshness and verve to the long persistent finish.
- Item #: i_200240Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "(21% new oak): Pale, brilliant yellow. Displays racy, mineral-accented citrus and orchard fruit scents that show impressive focus and spicy lift. Shows excellent delineation and tension on the palate, offering nervy Meyer lemon, quince and candied ginger flavors that deepen slowly and pick up a hint of smokiness on the back half. Closes dry and impressively long, with repeating minerality and firm, tangy bite."
- Item #: i_201460Bottle Size: 750mlWhile he has become known for his insanely delicious Petite Sirahs from Paso Robles, winemaker Aaron Jackson has recently expanded his portfolio and added some new flavors! AEQUOREA - which means “of the sea” in Latin - is focused on single vineyard wines from extreme coastal vineyards amidst San Luis Obispo County. In addition to these wines, each year Aaron Jackson also produce the Seafarer Pinot Noir as a special cuvee that brings together the elements from each of his vineyards. The goal is to create a wine that is more about overall texture and depth than individual site expression.
As always, Seafarer is the only vineyard blend Pinot Noir Aaron produces, bringing together fruit from all his coastal sites. The goal is to create a wine that is more about overall texture and depth than individual site expression. Based largely in the Stromsoe vineyard in Cayucos, along with Riven Rock (Cambria), Spanish Springs (Pismo Beach) and Derby West (San Simeon), the 2013 Seafarer is his favorite to date. The aromatics are intense - redolent of dried cranberry, red apple skin, white pepper, and Earl Grey tea. The palate is bright and vibrant, with a core of dark red fruit, uplifted spice, grated chocolate, roasted nuts, dried orange rind, and toasty oak. Only 225 cases produced!
- Item #: i_201480Bottle Size: 750mlWhile he has become known for his insanely delicious Petite Sirahs from Paso Robles, winemaker Aaron Jackson has recently expanded his portfolio and added some new flavors! AEQUOREA - which means "of the sea" in Latin - is focused on single vineyard wines from extreme coastal vineyards amidst San Luis Obispo County.
Making Viognier is always such a challenge for Aaron, in that he aims for a style so much different than what is typically produced in California. Instead, he strives to make a Viognier that showcases what can be done with the variety on the extremes of the coast where it struggles to ripen. At only 2 miles from the ocean in Pismo Beach, Spanish Springs is on the edge of where Viognier can be grown. Super aromatic, floral, and loaded with brightness and minerality, the 2018 features a racy profile of white stone fruit, snappy citrus, freshly cut pineapple, and an amazing finish. The strong beam of natural acidity gives it freshness for days.
- Item #: i_200515Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Chardonnay El Jabali Vineyard is a very pretty, nuanced wine. Understated, soft and silky, it has much to offer. This is an especially delicate style of Chardonnay, especially for the Sta. Rita Hills. Dried pear, herb and dried flowers add nuance throughout."
- Item #: i_200520Bottle Size: 750mlAlpha Omega's Chardonnay is naturally fermented, unfined and unfiltered. The integration of six different clones of Chardonnay brings unique characteristics to this multifaceted wine. They achieve precision and balance by an 18-month aging process in French oak with constant stirring. The result is an elegant and finesse driven Chardonnay that embodies Meursault with a California accent.
This Chardonnay is bright yellow gold with hints of buttermilk and mercury. On the nose there's an explosion of brioche, gingerbread and creme brulee with touches of apricot, quince and tomato stems lingering on citrus, honey, soap and butterscotch. The palate is fresh on entry, evolving on salted caramel with hints of butterscotch and citrus lingering on nutmeg, fresh pears and candied peaches.
- Item #: i_200600Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2014 Proprietary Red Wine from Alpha Omega is billed as the "intellectual" release from the estate, and it lives up to the billing. However, it also offers plenty of hedonistic pleasure as well. Notes of creme de cassis, blackcurrants, graphite, and hints of white chocolate flow to a medium to full-bodied, incredibly elegant Napa Cabernet that has moderate acidity, sweet, silky tannins and a great finish. Drink it anytime over the coming 10-15 years (and it will keep longer if you're so inclined)."
- Item #: i_200210Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 92
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon is youthfully mute at this stage, offering peeks at red and black plum notes plus a spice box and pencil shavings undercurrent. Medium-bodied with straight-up lovely freshly crushed black fruit flavors, it has a soft, approachable backbone and pleasant lift on the finish."
- Item #: i_201360Bottle Size: 750mlBob Tillman searched for several years for the site where he could plant a truly world-class vineyard. After the family moved to the Central Coast of California and tasted the wines coming out of Paso Robles, they knew they found the right region! In 2003, Bob found this beautiful hilltop property on Adelaida Road that would become Alta Colina. All the grapes on this property are organically farmed, and the fruit is so amazing that other Central Coast producers such as McPrice Myers, Sans Liege, and Paydirt get fruit from Alta Colina.
- Item #: i_201270Bottle Size: 750mlBob Tillman searched for several years for the site where he could plant a truly world-class vineyard. After the family moved to the Central Coast of California and tasted the wines coming out of Paso Robles, they knew they found the right region! In 2003, Bob found this beautiful hilltop property on Adelaida Road that would become Alta Colina. All the grapes on this property are organically farmed, and the fruit is so amazing that other Central Coast producers such as McPrice Myers, Sans Liege, and Paydirt get fruit from Alta Colina.
- Item #: i_201340Bottle Size: 750mlBob Tillman searched for several years for the site where he could plant a truly world-class vineyard. After the family moved to the Central Coast of California and tasted the wines coming out of Paso Robles, they knew they found the right region! In 2003, Bob found this beautiful hilltop property on Adelaida Road that would become Alta Colina. All the grapes on this property are organically farmed, and the fruit is so amazing that other Central Coast producers such as McPrice Myers, Sans Liege, and Paydirt get fruit from Alta Colina.
- Item #: i_201320Bottle Size: 750mlAmalie Robert's "Heirloom Cameo" Chardonnay is fermented in a single, large format French oak barrel or "puncheon." The goal of this fermentation style is to enhance the breadth and depth of the wine through limited oak exposure and extended yeast or "lees" aging. Stylistically, this wine is made to be enjoyed throughout its time in bottle. Upon release the wine is fresh with pungent aromas and a broad mouth feel, followed by a crisp and satisfying finish. We expect this wine to age gracefully for several years and will reward a laddered approach to monitoring its development. The Chardonnay for this wine is estate grown in 1 small block. The blend is about half Dijon clone 76 and half Dijon clone 95. In most years this block ripens until a beautifully hued golden patina envelops the skins, and then Amalie Robert hand harvests all 1,089 vines.
Scintillating aromas of Meyer lemon zest, purple passion fruit and carambola sheathed in a suggestion of five spice and pheromone provide intrigue. The deftly balanced palate is silky chiffon with latent acidity providing a gentle lift, all the while the effortlessly evolving textures and aromas vex. The enduring finish echoes the virtue of presence without weight. Only 70 cases were produced!
- Item #: i_200655Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 65% Zinfandel and 35% Petite Sirah, sourced from Alexander Valley, Dry Creek Valley, Russian River Valley, and Livermore. This rich, dark, dense wine presents as dark purple-red in the glass. The bold, jammy, ripeness of the Zinfandel is well balanced with the blue-black notes of the Petite Sirah. On the nose, you are greeted with the essence of blackberry pie, black cherry, graphite and a hint of herbaciousness. On the palate, this wine is inky and thick while maintaining brightness and balance. Notes of marionberry, bramble and a hint of black pepper coat your mouth in an assertive, rich and lingering way.
- Item #: i_211280Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91Each year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge honors an outcropping that always astonishes visitors to their estate Margarita Vineyard. Here, large white oyster fossils are literally spilling out of the ground, fostering the type of calcium-rich soil that is coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2016 vintage is a blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec, all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2016 Oyster Ridge offers a sumptuous bouquet of black berry and black currant with notes of creme de cassis, violets, vanilla bean, cedar and graphite. On the palate, the wine is exquisitely dense and integrated, showing chewy layers of black fruits interwoven with accents of caramel, mint, cinnamon spice and new oak. Fine-grained tannins and sleek acidity bring a resounding conclusion to what is nothing less than a blockbuster vintage for Oyster Ridge. This is a wine that will generously evolve in the bottle for years to come.
- Item #: i_201020Bottle Size: 750mlPrisme is the truest expression of the Pinot Noir grape. Anne Amie selects only their finest blocks of Pinot noir and gently press the grapes, liberating the free run juice, but not the color or tannins from the skins. It is then barrel-fermented, and aged on its lees in French oak barrels for 18 months. This structured white wine has a backbone of acidity, a voluptuous mid-palate and along, creamy finish. Prismé is named after the word prism - the splitting of white light into its corresponding colors. Anne Amie is doing precisely that in reverse, making a rich, textured white wine from Pinot noir.
The Prisme starts with 100% Pinot noir free run juice that is settled and racked into barrels. It is entirely barrel-fermented in French oak puncheons; lees stirred, allowed partial malolactic fermentation (around 80%) and then aged on its lees for 18 months before bottling.
The aromas is this wine begin with baked apples, fennel, vanilla bean, elderflower, cardamom, candied ginger, creme brulee, then moves to flavors of ripe pears, graham cracker, nutmeg, lemon meringue, and ripe fig, with a lingering finished laced with creamy acidity.
- Item #: i_201100Bottle Size: 750mlThis appellation is widely described as "sprawling" as it encompasses half or more of the county. Anthill Farms' fruit comes from two of the coolest, most coastal parts of this appellation: the low coast, west of Sebastopol on the edge of the Petaluma Gap; and the high coast, the first or second ridge inland from the ocean farther to the north. These sites are united by the direct influence of the Pacific's cool, marine air, delaying ripening well into October.
- Item #: i_200220Bottle Size: 750mlNestled high upon Atlas Peak, in the eastern mountains of the Napa Valley lies a majestic property, owned by one of the "royal families" of winemaking; this property is Antica. The name Antica is a combination of the last name Antinori and California, and represents the Antinori family's longstanding desire to craft exceptional estate wines that are a true expression of Napa Valley terroir.
The Antinori family's winemaking history has been synonymous with the famed wine growing regions of Tuscany and Umbria since its inception more than 600 years ago. The Antinori think beyond a single vintage, and instead, think long term when making decisions that will impact the finished wines. Marchese Piero Antinori first visited and fell in love with Napa Valley in 1966, after which he dreamt of producing an Antinori Napa Valley wine. In the mid-1980s, the opportunity presented itself; a 1,200-acre estate on a high plain, in the eastern mountains of Napa Valley. Antinori knew that the property's Atlas Peak location had great potential for growing quality wine grapes, so the family took part in developing the property.
Situated above the fog line, the Antica estate offers a mix of steep, rocky soils in its higher elevations and loamy, well-drained soils in the lower ones. There are more than 50 blocks within the estate, a true patchwork quilt that takes advantage of the variations in soil, elevation, and exposure to best match varietal, rootstock, and clone to attain the ideal expression of Cabernet Sauvignon. The high altitude (1,800 feet) means cooler daytime temperatures, which provides a long growing season, and gives the grapes complexity, enhanced textures, and dark colors. The steep, rocky and well-drained soils result into low yields (three pounds) per vine, but the fully ripened grapes show great structure with concentrated fruit, and focused and persistent flavors. Tannins are ripe, balanced, and integrated.