- Item #: i_212630Bottle Size: 750mlContinuum is estate grown on their Sage Mountain Vineyard. It's location, high on Pritchard Hill along the eastern ridge above Oakville, overlooks Napa Valley and the San Francisco Bay. 38 acres of mature estate vineyard, planted in 1991 and 1996, with additional plantings in 2004 and 2010, together comprise 38 distinct vineyard blocks. Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, and Merlot are grown from 1300 to 1600 feet in elevation, on western and southern facing aspects with slight northern and eastern slopes in places. This diversity of plantings on our volcanic soils are the essence of the complexity of Continuum.
On October 8th, wildland fires broke out and encircled the Napa Valley. At this time, two thirds of Continuum/s fruit was safely in cellar. When access to the property was deemed safe, the remaining one third of the fruit was harvested and then kept separately for evaluation. While lab results indicated the smoke taint to be below perceivable thresholds, Continuum's tasting panel showed it still gave negative influences to the tannins and finish. The decision was made to not use one drop of wine that was harvested after the fire began. The wine harvested before the fires benefitted from the many safeguards built into the estate winery such as generators and tank-dedicated pumps and temperature control systems that ensured each and every tank received uninterrupted care and tending throughout this turbulent period.
ANTONIO GALLONI 96+ POINTS - "The 2017 Proprietary Red Wine Sage Mountain Vineyard comes across as remarkably primary. Bright red-toned fruit and floral notes give the 2017 striking freshness as well as nuance. Deep and layered on the palate, with superb depth, the 2017 Continuum is easily one of the wines of the year. Even in the early going, it is truly magnificent."
- Item #: i_215555Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 93+
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon is composed of 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Merlot and 5% Petit Verdot coming from Calistoga. Deep garnet-purple colored, it comes bounding out of the glass with exuberant scents of baked plums, creme de cassis and wild blueberries plus hints of unsmoked cigars, dusty soil, garrigue and Chinese five spice. Medium to full-bodied, the palate bursts with a core of juicy black fruit and spicy accents, framed by ripe, grainy tannins and lovely freshness, finishing long and layered. 600 cases were made."
- Item #: i_220040Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "A gorgeously sweet nose of blackcurrants, dried flowers, Asian spice, and loamy earth and chocolate emerges from the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Las Piedras Vineyard. Deeply concentrated, with a light, elegant texture, beautiful tannins, and a great finish, this stunning wine is already beautiful but will shine for 15 years or more."
- Item #: i_237170Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96+ POINTS - "The flagship cuvee, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon J. Daniel Cuvee is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon brought up in 75% new French oak. Rocking levels of cassis, graphite, vanilla, scorched earth, and tobacco all flow to a full-bodied Cabernet that has building tannins, a terrific, deep, layered mid-palate, and a great finish. It's still tight and backward on the palate, and in need of 4-5 years of bottle age, but it's a beautiful wine in the making."
- Item #: i_240270Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Materium is one of the wines of the vintage and, as I wrote last year, a solid step up over the Amoenus release. Loads of liquid violets, flowery incense, sappy herbs, graphite, and assorted blue fruits all flow to a full-bodied, thrillingly textured, pure, sensationally concentrated Cabernet Sauvignon. Super rich, plush, yet flawlessly balanced, it too is going to benefit from 2-3 years of bottle age and keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_241970Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "Made by Sam Kaplan and a blend of numerous top sites (Vine Hill Ranch, Dr. Crane, Las Piedras, Weitz, and Oakville Ranch), the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon reveals a deep purple color as well as smoking notes of cassis, black raspberries, tobacco leaf, lead pencil shavings, and beautiful gravelly minerality. Up with the top wines in the vintage, it has incredible purity, full body, ripe tannins, and a great finish. This brilliant 2017 is going to keep for 20-25 years or more."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "Made from 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, coming from Beckstoffer Dr. Crane, Beckstoffer Las Peidras, Oakville Ranch, Vine Hill Ranch and Weitz vineyards, the 2017 Memento Mori was aged for 22 months in 100% new French oak. Deep garnet-purple in color, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon features notions of warm red and black currants, plum preserves and mulberries with touches of charcoal, tobacco leaf and sautéed herbs. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is laden with muscular fruit with a sturdy frame of ripe, grainy tannins and plenty of freshness, finishing long and earthy."
- Item #: i_242070Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Composed of 62% Cabernet Sauvignon, 22% Cabernet Franc, 10% Merlot and 6% Petit Verdot, the 2017 Les Pavots comes from Knights Valley AVA. Deep garnet-purple in color, it leaps from the glass with vivacious notes of crushed black berries, Black Forest cake, blueberry compote and blackcurrant cordial with touches of camphor, lavender, tapenade and cigar box plus hints of mocha and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with muscular black fruits, framed by firm grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and savory. 2,050 cases were made."
- Item #: i_249310Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsWhile on our annual winter trip to the Napa Valley in 2013, we were invited to the "kick off" for a new winery named Pulido-Walker, and the first of their three single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignons. That wine was the single best wine we had on our entire trip!
Pulido-Walker is dedicated to the perfection of every element needed to craft exceptional single-vineyard designate Cabernet Sauvignon. Proprietors Mark Pulido and Donna Walker grew up in pharmacy families, and this early common experience is integral to the Pulido-Walker philosophy. Their scientific backgrounds make Mark and Donna precise, inquisitive, and detailed; they know that perseverance and attentive observation yield results worth waiting for. Few people have the commitment or the endurance—never mind the conviction of their principles—to completely reframe the experiment mid-stream.
Their winemaker is the highly sought-after Thomas Brown, who also crafts the high scoring and incredible wines at Schrader, Maybach, Outpost, and others. He has been in Napa since 1997, where he began his career at Turley Cellars and now makes wines for select premium labels. Over the last decade, Thomas has received not just one but eight 100-point Wine Advocate Parker scores to go along with two 100-point awards from Wine Spectator. Beyond generosity and roundness in tannins, his wines have few common traits and are very individual. Pulido~Walker's Cabernet Sauvignons promise to be among his most distinctive.
"What separates the best valley floor sites from good valley floor sites is their ability to drain," explains winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown. Panek Vineyard blankets a rocky, gently sloping knoll in the shadow of the Mayacamas Mountains along the old Napa River bed wash. The loamy soil, with its highly compacted alluvial deposits of gravel, provides optimal drainage. The valley basin is also more temperate than the hillsides surrounding St. Helena, making it ideal for slower ripening and full development of flavors. These elements coalesce in low yields of reliably superb fruit.
JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "Lots of dark fruits, scorched earth, tobacco, and some Pauillac-like lead pencil notes emerge from the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon, which is 100% varietal from a great vineyard in St. Helena. With medium to full-bodied richness, ripe tannins, and impressive balance, this savory, meaty Cabernet is going to benefit from 4-5 years of bottle age and drink beautifully for 15-20 years or more."
- Item #: i_282800Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "Made of 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petit Verdot, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon is deep garnet-purple in color and prances out of the glass with vivacious blackberries, crushed black cherries, warm black currants and red currant jelly scents plus exotic hints of cassia, cardamom, fenugreek and star anise with a waft of underbrush. Medium-bodied, the palate has fantastic energy and beautiful poise, with bags of bright, crunchy black and red fruit plus a firm, fine-grained texture, finishing long and spicy."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "Spottswoode's 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon has been simply tremendous on both occasions I have tasted it so far. Sweet red cherry, red plum, flowers and mint give the 2017 striking freshness to complement its decidedly mid-weight structure. The intense heat of the vintage caused ripening to slow down and yielded a wine with just 13.7% alcohol, which is low for both the estate and Napa Valley in general. Spottswoode was one of the first estates in the valley to adopt a more moderate approach to farming and that really paid off in 2017, as a wine of this level in that year could have only resulted from impeccable farming. In a word: magnificent!"
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Looking at the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate, which was bottled two months prior to my tasting, it too has a Chateau Margaux-like complexity and elegance, with beautiful notes of crème de cassis, sandalwood, dried flowers, tobacco leaf, and lead pencil. Harvested all pre-fire, it hits the palate with medium to full-bodied richness, silky tannins, and remarkable purity, all making for a quintessential Spottswoode that's going to benefit from 3-5 years of bottle age and keep for 20+ years."