- Item #: i_214880Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsThe greatness of DAOU Mountain was foretold many decades ago when renowned winemaking authority Andre Tchelistcheff hailed it as "A JEWEL OF ECOLOGICAL ELEMENTS."
The calcareous clay soil here is comparable to Bordeaux's Right Bank, while the buffered Pacific microclimate is similar to Saint Helena-- a perfect confluence of elements. DAOU Mountain is blessed with extraordinary phenolic output, yielding some of the darkest, most deeply textured wines in the world. These wines are never acidified, as the ideal level of acidity comes naturally.
"Our wines are natural and pure: handpicked, hand-made and always free of artificial additives." All fruit from DAOU Mountain is handpicked, then sorted both by human eye and cutting-edge optical technology to ensure absolute fruit purity. Using only 100 percent free run juice, Winemaker Daniel Daou initiates fermentation with native yeasts cultivated from the estate. Each fermentation is customized by measuring phenolic composition and using sensory analysis, enabling Daniel to orchestrate natural balance and texture.
"We are committed to multifaceted sustainable practices that have earned our vineyard SIP (Sustainability in Practice) certification. The flavors and aromas you experience in DAOU wines originate from the earth and are poured into each bottle with an acute mindfulness for human and environmental well-being. ”
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion is a blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc and 8% Petit Verdot aged 22 months in 100% new French oak. It has a deep ruby-purple color and wonderfully unique expression, with scents of forest floor, underbrush, English breakfast tea, espresso, blackcurrant bud, dark chocolate and exotic flowers mingling over a core of perfectly ripe wild blackberries and Morello cherries, all complemented by a classy framing of new oak spices. The medium to full-bodied palate is slow to unfurl, with a frame like liquid silk and a very long finish that gives up layer after layer of nuanced flavors. Wow!"
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion offers a forward, bona fide fruit bomb style yet has plenty of class. A sweet nose of cassis, Asian spice, cedar box, and chocolate gives way to a full-bodied, hedonistic 2017 that stays balanced and layered. This cuvee always delivers and the 2017 is just an incredible drink."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95-96 POINTS - "Inky ruby. Primary dark berry, cherry pit and pipe tobacco aromas are complemented by hints of vanillin oak, mocha and baking spices. Broad and fleshy in the mouth, offering sweet black cherry and cassis flavors and suggestions of dark chocolate, espresso and vanilla. Becomes smokier with air and finishes with superb clarity and strong, spicy persistence. (raised in new French oak barrels for 22 months)"
- Item #: i_238220Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Cabernet Franc, 3% Saint Macaire, and 3% Malbec, this wine was aged for 20 months in 100% new French oak. Beck Vineyard, in the Creston District of Paso Robles, is a unique, high elevation site that sits at 1,700 feet above the early morning fog line. Its calcareous soils and cooling afternoon winds are perfect for growing Cabernet Sauvignon. The Cabernet from this vineyard ripens early with excellent color, purity of fruit, and phenolic maturity. Incorporation of Cabernet Franc brings freshness to the blend, while the rare Bordeaux variety, Saint-Macaire, brings density and a savory character. Malbec add structure, color, and a component of bright fruit.
- Item #: i_277570Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Lastly, the 2017 Estate Cuvee shows the effects of the heat spikes and has some firm, angular tannins that are buffered by lots of blackcurrant fruit. It has classic graphite, licorice, and lead pencil aromas, medium to full body, and good length, yet it's certainly not going to make you forget this brilliant 2016. Nevertheless, my money is on it being an outstanding wine."
- Item #: i_256505Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 99 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 99 POINTS - "Powerful notes of herbes de Provence, candied orange, violets, peppery spice, and both blue and black fruits dominate the bouquet of the 2018 G2 Vineyard. This full-bodied, deep, opulent 2018 has incredible purity of fruit, a seamless texture that's to die for, ultra-fine tannins, and a blockbuster of a finish. Based on 55% Grenache, 28% Mataro, 9% Syrah, and the rest Graciano, it's a borderline perfect wine that can be drunk today with incredible pleasure or cellared for a decade. This vineyard continues to produce some of the top wines in the vintage."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 97 POINTS - "Saturated ruby. Powerful, intensely perfumed black raspberry, cassis, cherry liqueur, incense and licorice aromas pick up hints of violet oil and vanilla with air. Sweet, penetrating and focused on the palate, offering deeply concentrated red and dark berry liqueur, floral pastille, licorice and succulent herb flavors that show superb power and fine definition. Adroitly plays richness off finesse and finishes extremely long and sweet, with polished tannins coming in late."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2018 G2 Vineyard is a blend of 55% Grenache, 28% Mataro, 9% Syrah and 8% Graciano. It explodes with layers of baked black and blue berries, coffee beans, aniseed and loads of floral aromas, chameleon-like as it sits in the glass and gains nuance. The medium-bodied palate offers fine, silty tannins and well-integrated freshness, with concentrated dark fruit flavors that gain amplitude in the mouth, singing on the very long finish. It's a tad wound at the moment and could use some time in the cellar, although it's stunning straight from bottle."
- Item #: i_256920Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2018 James Berry Vineyard White is straight-up stunning stuff and showed even better from bottle than barrel. Based on 66% Grenache Blanc, 28% Roussanne, and – wait for it – 6% Chenin Blanc, it boasts a medium gold hue as well as a rocking nose of caramelized citrus, apricots, honeyed flowers, and toasted bread. Rich, full-bodied, and concentrated, it has a terrific sense of freshness, flawless balance, and a great, great finish. It's up with the finest whites I've tasted from Paso Robles and will easily stand up to anything coming out of the Rhone Valley today!"
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 96 POINTS - "Light, slightly hazy yellow. Vibrant, mineral-accented pear, Meyer lemon and yellow plum scents take on anise and chamomile nuances with air. Taut and chewy in texture, offering densely packed orchard and pit fruit flavors that are braced by a potent mineral undercurrent and a refreshingly bitter lemon pith accent. Finishes minerally, tight and extremely long, leaving citrus pith and floral notes behind."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2018 James Berry Vineyard White is made up of 66% Grenache Blanc, 28% Roussanne and 6% Chenin Blanc. The nose is warm and toasty, with loads of golden fruits accented by beeswax, dried chamomile and salted almonds. The palate is expertly structured, its weightless, silken texture belying its concentrated, savory fruits, and it finishes extraordinarily long, lifted and fresh. I love the energy and fullness of flavor this 2018 offers!"