- Item #: i_276240Bottle Size: 750mlJust like the flavorful and refreshing Rieslings grown in Germany, these grapes are grown on steep cliffs, next to a river (in this case, the Columbia River). A cooler site due to river influence, the soils are composed of fragmented basalt, gravel, silt, and caliche deposited during ice age floods. This site produces fruit with sublime mineral character and the acid balance that winemakers dream of. Aromatic, smooth, vibrant and tasty, this gem shows tangerine, pineapple, wet stone, key lime, clove and nectarine. This Kungfu Girl kicks some serious butt for the money!
- Item #: i_276200Bottle Size: 750mlThis little devil is wrapped in a velvet robe. Full with density and bursting with flavor. Dark fruit, cherry, blackberry. Brimming with cedar, pipe tobacco and earth. Truth in a name: Velvet!
- Item #: i_275494Bottle Size: 750mlCanoe Ridge Estate Chardonnay is refined and elegant and we enhance that style in the cellar. This wine delivers crisp apple and white grapefruit aromas and flavors with a clean, refreshing finish. We age the wine in restrained, lighter French oak barrels to maintain its fresh style.
- Item #: i_264010Bottle Size: 750mlThis Chardonnay delivers an appealing tropical fruit character from warmer sites. Its ripe pineapple and butterscotch flavors and rich, creamy texture. Try it with scallops, scampi or pasta with rich sauces.
- Item #: i_264020Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90James Suckling: 90Wine Enthusiast: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 92JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Even more vivid and pure than the base Riesling from Ste. Michelle, the 2017 Riesling Eroica boasts a light gold color as well as notes of crushed lime, sugared mint, crushed rocks, and exotic flowers. With a more off-dry style, it's textured, balanced, and beautifully layered on the palate. As in most years, it’s one of the top expressions of Riesling in the United States."
JAMES SUCKLING 90 POINTS, WINE ENTHUSIAST 91 POINTS, WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS
- Item #: i_212410Bottle Size: 750ML- "Supple, focused and distinctive, with a core of ripe plum, currant, sage and floral flavors, mingling effectively and harmoniously on the long, expressive finish. Drink now through 2020."
We've long been fans of Columbia Crest, one of Washington State's premiere wineries, known for both handcrafted, superior-quality small-lot wines and affordable, everyday Washington quaffers. So where does "H3" fall? Well, the price says everyday and affordable but, we must confess, the juice in the bottle has us leaning toward the superior side of the above descriptor-- it's a fantastic Cabernet Sauvignon that we believe people will fall in love with.
- Item #: i_212450Bottle Size: 750mlThis is not a case of deja vu. If you follow our newsletter, you may recall that a Columbia Crest wine was our wine of the month last year at this time (the '09 H3 Cab, to be precise). This year, their red blend "Les Chevaux" (French for 'the horses') hit the home stretch well ahead of the dozen other worthy wines to take the purse.
Chevaux is a blend comprised of 80% Merlot, 13% Cabernet Sauvignon and 7% Syrah. Winemaker Juan Munoz Oca was raised in Mendoza, Argentina and worked with his grandfather, cellar master at Bodegas Toso winery, at a young age. Juan joined Columbia Crest in 2003 and was named head winemaker in 2011. Prior to 2011 he was dedicated to the winery's red wine program where he worked alongside Ray Einberger whose 2005 Reserve Cab became the first Washington wine to be named 'Wine of the Year' by Wine Spectator in 2009. Why Columbia Crest? Oca states: "The perfect grape-growing climate, the best viticultural practices, and a people committed to crafting the best bottle of wine vintage after vintage is what Columbia Crest's winemaking is all about."
The nose starts with Christmas spices, vanilla and cardamom, then adds a layer of cherry/plum/pomegranate reduction; a very attractive, inviting nose. The palate leads off with sweet cherry fruit and forward tannins as baking spices, Kriek lambic flavors and dark cocoa notes add depth and balance. The finish is lengthy and tasty as the big tannins slowly recede, leaving reverberations of red fruits, spice and a mineral earthiness to meander around the mouth for a few minutes more.
- "Supple and spicy, with a plush-textured, dark-hued, blackberry-rich mouthful lingering against creamy oak notes on the long and polished finish. Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Drink now through 2018."
- Item #: i_216440Bottle Size: 750ml
We’re telling you right now, this wine is an absolute steal! When our buyer first tasted this (and before he heard the price), he thought he was tasting a wine that would retail for $10-20 more than this actually does!
Established in 2007, Double Canyon Vineyard resides in the heart of the award-winning Horse Heaven Hills. This appellation is a historic source for many wineries, but Double Canyon is one of few estate wineries actually located in this corner of Washington State. Named for two ravines that run through the property, Double Canyon produces estate-grown wine that expresses the individuality of this distinctive windswept, desert appellation.
2016 is another fantastic vintage in Washington State, and Double Canyon’s Horse Heaven Hill Cabernet Sauvignon showcases the ripe, luscious, and full-flavored characteristics of this vintage with aromas of violet, tea, fresh cherry, and hints of Turkish delight. The entry possesses good acidity, with the influence of French oak transforming blackberry into sweet Kirsch, plum, and hints of savory herbs that mingle and emerge to give the palate complex layers, leading into a long, juicy finish with lingering notes of mouthwatering red plum. The tannins on the finish have just enough of that velvety feel to enjoy this wine today!
- Item #: i_247940Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 90Nine Hats was a conception that began back in 2007 with one wine-- a red blend that was striking in quality, approachability and deliciousness. It was crafted with impeccable attention to detail and the benefit of topquality grapes...and people loved it! The wines formed into this original blend were declassified juice coming from Long Shadows wine portfolio, a collection of seven ultrapremium Columbia Valley wines showcasing the viticultural excellence of the growing region. Along with some of the best grapes grown within the region, Long Shadows has tapped some of the best winemakers from around the world (Gilles Nicault, Randy Dunn, John Duval, Michel Rolland and Philippe Melka), so there is no wonder as to why Nine Hats was so successful. For this 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon, several vineyard sites throughout Horse Heaven Hills and the Wahluke Slope were selected to source the fruit that provides its depth and complexity. Aged eleven months in French oak prior to bottling, this wine scored 90 points from Wine Spectator! Vibrant aromatics of black cherry, espresso beans and bittersweet chocolate introduce this richly structured Cabernet Sauvignon. It is a multi-layered wine with expressive flavors of black and red berries complemented by notes of savory spice. Its luscious mouthfeel persists across a lengthy finish.
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Vibrant and generous, with supple black cherry, caramel and spice flavors that glide toward polished tannins. Drink now through 2024."
- Item #: i_251460Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS - "Very pale, bright straw-yellow. Subtle stone fruits, orange zest and ginger on the bracing nose, plus a trace of medicinal herbs. Shows a distinct sweetness on entry, then the firm acidity and spiciness take over in the middle palate, enlivening the very pure stone fruit and ripe citrus flavors. Much better than an earlier sample I tasted at the winery, which showed a more intrusive Chartreuse herbal note that seemed a bit raw. This is sappy, ripe and delicious right now but has the stuffing to gain in complexity with bottle age. Incidentally, Gilles Nicault poured a bottle of the 2010 release next to the '18 and it was still in excellent shape, beginning with a bright, pale, green-tinged yellow color. It offered fresh aromas of lime, saffron and resiny herbs, and on the palate was dense but juicy, with ginger and medicinal herb notes that struck me as quite Germanic.) (12.5% alcohol; 40% from Geisenheim clones in the Benches, 38% from a 1972 planting in Dionysus vineyard, and the rest from Yakima Valley fruit that Gilles Nicault likes for its acidity and citrus character; 3.05 pH with 11 g/l r.s.)"
- Item #: i_267080Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90This wine is a joint venture of wine gurus from two continents. The blend is a true collaboration of winemakers Bob Bertheau of Chateau Ste Michelle, along with two juggernauts from France, Michel Gassier and Philippe Cambie! They have combined their decades of experience to produce a wine that demonstrates why Washington State is one of the best growing regions in the world for Syrah!
Approximately 22% of the lots were fermented as whole clusters, with the remaining lots fermented as de-stemmed grapes. The inclusion of stems during fermentation contributes earthy, savory aromas and flavors that perfectly complement the pure fruit character of the grapes. To further enhance these complexities, about 20% of the lots also underwent extended maceration. After fermentation, a majority of the young wine was placed into neutral French oak barrels for aging, with the remainder aged in tight-grained new French and American oak barrels. The use of neutral and tighter-grained barrels helps to preserve the unique character of the wine itself. This year the wine is a blend of 90% Syrah, 4% Grenache, 4% Mourvedre, and 2% Viognier.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90 POINTS - "Bright, full ruby. Slightly reduced aromas of dark berries, dark chocolate and spices; less expressive and wild than the 2015 version was at the same stage. Concentrated, silky and fine-grained, displaying sexy spice and violet lift to the concentrated dark berry and licorice flavors. I find more sweetness and primary fruit character--and more generosity of texture--than in the 2015 version of this bottling. The long finish hints at chocolatey ripeness but also shows lovely violet lift and a fine dusting of tannins. This needs aeration or a year or two in the cellar to shed its reductive quality. (I should note that a second bottle was a bit less generous and sweet.) (14.5% alcohol)"
- Item #: i_268510Bottle Size: 750mlOne of the best values we seen out of Washington State in several years, The Huntsman Cabernet was aged for 9 months in a combination of French and American oak. Dried blueberry, strawberry jam and a touch of cocoa on the nose lead to concentrated dark red fruit flavors of freeze dried raspberry, black plum, and strawberry lozenge on the palate. The finish is long and round with lingering notes of black licorice, clove and cocoa.
- Item #: i_264850Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91Does the name Charles Smith ring a bell? Well, perhaps if we mention a couple of his highly sought after wines like K Vintners or Charles Smith Wines it will start to click. Growing up just outside of Sacramento, California, in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, Charles Smith began craving worldly travel at a young age due to his Welsh mother and French father. As soon as he had the chance, Charles decided to move to Denmark. While in Scandinavia, Charles spent the next nine years managing rock bands and concert tours throughout Europe, including the famed Danish duo, The Ravonettes. Wining and dining while on the road became a catalyst for his passion of wine, which ultimately triggered the career he has today.
After a handful of years in the wine industry, Charles Smith has really been "wowing" the critics and connoisseurs alike with impeccably well-made wines that over deliver in terms of quality and price. Substance 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon does just that, and for $14.98 a bottle one would be very hard pressed to find a Cabernet from any other region that delivers quality like this for the price!
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "I loved the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Cs, which ranks with the finest releases to date for this cuvee. Classy cassis fruits, lead pencil, and tobacco notes all emerge from the glass, and it’s medium to full-bodied, with ripe tannin, integrated oak, and a great finish. It makes a mockery of just about every other Cabernet Sauvignon in this price range. Buy a case and enjoy over the coming 4-6 years, probably longer."