- Item #: i_201470Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsProducers of Petite Sirah need to take note: there's a young gun out there who's going to show you some new moves! Winemaker Aaron Jackson is one amazing guy! He fully commits to whatever the task at hand is. So being the hardcore surfer that he is, you can imagine how dedicated to winemaking Aaron must be when he has to leave those firing Central Coast point breaks to head for the vineyards! His wines have been staples at our store for years, and it's amazing how he can make Petite Sirah taste so good, keep it complex yet easy to drink, and sell such a tasty wine for a reasonable price!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "(raised for 22 months in large French oak barrels, 55% of them new) Bright purple. Smoke-tinged cherry and blueberry compote aromas show excellent clarity, and a mocha element sneaks in as the wine stretches out. Sweet and pliant in the mouth, offering densely packed yet lively red and blue fruit and floral pastille flavors and a hint of five-spice powder. Shows impressive energy on the broad, chewy finish, which is firmed by building tannins and sharpened by a late jolt of juicy acidity."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The inky colored 2015 Petite Sirah offers classic sweet black and plum fruits as well as some smoky, barbecue notes in its full-bodied, layered, powerful style. With 12% Syrah in the blend and brought up in 55% new barrels, it stays beautifully balanced and is a joy to drink."
- Item #: i_277843Bottle Size: 750MLAdelaida's distinct family owned vineyards lie in the craggy hillside terrain of Paso Robles' Adelaida District, 14 miles from the Pacific coast. Ranging from 1400 – 2000 feet in elevation these low yielding vines are chal-lenged by chalky limestone soils and afternoon blasts of cool marine air, and a diurnal temperature swing of 40-50 degrees.
Long a benchmark for "Paso Cabs", Viking Vineyard's mountain fruit has the racy vibrancy of blue and red berries and the savory, structured tannins of its characteristic small berries. The wine walks the fashion runway of flavors, from red currants to black raspberries, from cedar-wood to graphite minerality, finishing energetically with notes of mocha and vanilla spice.
- Item #: i_201360Bottle Size: 750mlBob Tillman searched for several years for the site where he could plant a truly world-class vineyard. After the family moved to the Central Coast of California and tasted the wines coming out of Paso Robles, they knew they found the right region! In 2003, Bob found this beautiful hilltop property on Adelaida Road that would become Alta Colina. All the grapes on this property are organically farmed, and the fruit is so amazing that other Central Coast producers such as McPrice Myers, Sans Liege, and Paydirt get fruit from Alta Colina.
- Item #: i_201270Bottle Size: 750mlBob Tillman searched for several years for the site where he could plant a truly world-class vineyard. After the family moved to the Central Coast of California and tasted the wines coming out of Paso Robles, they knew they found the right region! In 2003, Bob found this beautiful hilltop property on Adelaida Road that would become Alta Colina. All the grapes on this property are organically farmed, and the fruit is so amazing that other Central Coast producers such as McPrice Myers, Sans Liege, and Paydirt get fruit from Alta Colina.
- Item #: i_211280Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91Each year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge honors an outcropping that always astonishes visitors to their estate Margarita Vineyard. Here, large white oyster fossils are literally spilling out of the ground, fostering the type of calcium-rich soil that is coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2016 vintage is a blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec, all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2016 Oyster Ridge offers a sumptuous bouquet of black berry and black currant with notes of creme de cassis, violets, vanilla bean, cedar and graphite. On the palate, the wine is exquisitely dense and integrated, showing chewy layers of black fruits interwoven with accents of caramel, mint, cinnamon spice and new oak. Fine-grained tannins and sleek acidity bring a resounding conclusion to what is nothing less than a blockbuster vintage for Oyster Ridge. This is a wine that will generously evolve in the bottle for years to come.
- Item #: i_211270Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine floored us from the very first sip! Ancient Peaks sits in the Paso Robles appellation, 22 miles south of the city itself, and just 14 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Here, the surrounding peaks of the Santa Lucia Mountain Range act as a gateway between one region to the south that is exceedingly ocean-cooled, and another to the north that is much, much warmer (sometimes downright hot!). When the days heat up in the areas north and east of Margarita Vineyard, the air rises to create a vacuum that pulls marine breezes and fog inland over the peaks, and right through the vineyard. This means the fruit gets ripe, without any "off" flavors, yet the cooling afternoon breezes help the resulting wine to retain freshness and acidity.
The Renegade is a blend of 32% Syrah, 25% Zinfandel, 20% Malbec, 19% Petit Verdot, and 4% Petite Sirah, the wine is loaded with deep berry aromas that reveal accents of toasty oak, baking spice, cedar and tobacco. The texture is broad and velvety, offering concentrated flavors of boysenberry, blueberry, black cherry and cocoa that are powerfully framed by savory notes of bacon fat and pepper. Plush tannins and lengthy fruit converge into a smooth, seamless finish.
- Item #: i_211240Bottle Size: 750mlAncient Peak's 2016 Sauvignon Blanc opens with bright aromas of peach, guava, citrus and wet stone. A round, soft texture envelopes the palate with luscious flavors of pear and tropical fruit, all underlain by a subtle minerality. The roundness yields to raciness on the finish, with pitchperfect acidity and lingering notes of lime zest.
- Item #: i_211210Bottle Size: 750mlWe have been looking for a delicious Zinfandel at this price point for some time, and we think we've found a winner! Ancient Peaks sits in the Paso Robles appellation, 22 miles south of the city of Paso Robles and just 14 miles from the Pacific Ocean. Here, the surrounding peaks of the Santa Lucia Mountain Range act as a gateway between the ocean-cooled environs below the grade and the warmer climes above the grade. When the days heat up in the areas north and east of Margarita Vineyard, the air rises to create a vacuum that pulls marine breezes and fog inland over the peaks, and right through the vineyard. This means the fruit gets ripe, without any "off" flavors, yet the cooling afternoon breezes help the resulting wine to retain freshness and acidity.
Ancient Peaks' 2017 Zinfandel presents bright boysenberry aromas with hints of sandalwood and vanilla. A juicy, jammy texture is loaded with generous flavors of wild raspberry, black cherry, plum, mocha and cedar. Spicy black pepper notes join mouthwatering acidity on a beautifully balanced finish.
- Item #: i_211220Bottle Size: 750mlThe Ancient Peaks Cabernet Sauvignon comes blocks planted where the sloping terrain straddles rocky sedimentary and shale soils. These soils promote naturally low vigor for the development of intensely flavored fruit. Cold soaked for 48 hours prior to fermentation for a gentle extraction of color and flavor, the wine was racked to a combination of French and American oak barrels, where it aged for 18 months prior to blending and bottling. Small lots of Malbec and Syrah were incorporated into the final blend for added dimension.
The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon offers warm aromas of blueberry, plum and toasted oak along with classic varietal notes of graphite and black olive. The texture is plump and juicy, cascading across the palate with flavors of black currant and fresh red berries accentuated by hints of roast coffee, anise, tobacco and mineral. Sleek acidity paves the way for an elegant finish framed by smooth tannins.
- Item #: i_211290Bottle Size: 750mlThe Ancient Peaks Chardonnay vines are rooted in granitic soils along the southeast border of the vineyard, where the morning and afternoon temperatures are particularly cool. Here, brisk marine air settles after flowing through a mountain notch known as Trout Creek. These conditions provide Chardonnay fruit with the long period necessary to nurture vivid varietal character. Margarita Vineyard stands alone as the southernmost vineyard in the Paso Robles region, and as the only vineyard in the new Santa Margarita Ranch AVA. The surrounding mountain peaks act as a gateway for cool marine air, resulting in an extended growing season that yields fruit with uncommon depth and structure. The peaks are also testaments to the tectonic forces that created Margarita Vineyard’s rare diversity of soils, ultimately fostering natural complexity in their wines.
This Chardonnay offers inviting aromas of pear, fig and lime zest with a hint of apple blossom. The palate begins on a creamy note, unfolding with bright flavors of nectarine, white peach, pineapple and lemon drop. Brisk mineral accents and fresh acidity converge on a buoyant, lively finish.
- Item #: i_211250Bottle Size: 750mlMerlot excels at Ancient Peaks' estate Margarita Vineyard and has been a mainstay in their small family of wines since day one. Here, ancient sea bed soils combine with a long growing season to yield a Merlot with silky dark fruit flavors and a luscious texture, resulting in what has become one of the Paso Robles region’s most notable Merlots. Ancient Peaks blends fruit from three different Merlot blocks that exhibit a range of distinct qualities, bringing added natural complexity and dimension to the finished wine. These blocks are situated along the slopes of an uplifted ancient sea bed, where the well-drained, calcium-rich soils are distinguished by decomposing oyster fossils.
Ancient Peaks' aim is to capture the signature velvety fruit character of Merlot while showcasing the fine structure inherent to Margarita Vineyard. After destemming, the lots were cold soaked for 72 hours prior to fermentation for a gentle extraction of initial color and flavor. After fermentation and light pressing, the lots were aged for 20 months in a combination of French (70%) and American (30%) oak barrels, 25 percent of which featured new oak.
This Merlot delivers rich black and red fruit aromas with intriguing hints of cedar, mocha and eucalyptus. The palate is juicy and rounded, offering a flavor tapestry of black cherry, raspberry, vanilla and brown spice. Firm tannins and luscious acidity take this Merlot to the next level, finishing with a refined heft that is rooted in its Margarita Vineyard terroir.
- Item #: i_230790Bottle Size: 750mlDeep ruby in color, the Austin Hope Cabernet Sauvignon expresses aromas of freshly picked black currants, ripe black cherries, and blackberries, with subtle notes of violets, mocha, and dried spices. On the palate, it's a big, powerful, modern-styled wine layered with heaps of juicy blackberry and cherry fruit, while nuances of cedar, clove, nutmeg and vanilla bean round out the long smooth finish. It's full-bodied and rich, balanced by fresh acidity and firm, polished tannins.
- Item #: i_202670Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90 POINTS - "(aged in a 50/50 combination of French and American oak, 35 percent of it new) Inky ruby. Ripe cherry, dark berries and a hint of vanilla on the perfumed nose. Sweet, seamless dark fruit, mocha and spicecake flavors put on weight and gain energy with air. Rich yet lively; a peppery element adds cut to the long, focused finish, and fine-grained tannins add grip."
- Item #: i_205580Bottle Size: 750mlBorn in Michoacan, Mexico, winemaker Edgar Torres has lived in the coastal town of Cambria, California since the age of 8. As it seems to happen to many people who live close to Paso Robles, he fell in love with wine and decided to make his livelihood in the wine business. Hey…can you blame him?!? He has worked with many of the superstars of the Central Coast, including Matt Garretson, Augie Hug, Alta Maria Vineyards, Barrel 27, and McPrice Myers. We sampled his latest releases a few months ago, and they really knocked our socks off! The intensity of these wines are rivaled by few here in the United States, and we suggest you check out what Edgar can do!
A combination of two great vineyards, Alta Mesa vineyard in Santa Barbara and Kimsey Vineyard in Santa Ynez. This wine screams aromas of red flowers, dark cranberries, cherries, pomegranate, hints of grilled herbs, and leather. The palate mimics much of the nose with a great freshness and minerality, and has good grippy tannins making it worthy of aging. This wine is big and pairs well with meat or seared tuna. Enjoy now or lay it down for 7-9 years.
- Item #: i_205560Bottle Size: 750mlLast year, winemaker Edgar Torres brought us a couple wines that were simply amazing! This year is no different, other than the fact that he has a new wine that is really gets us excited! His latest bottling is called "Toro de Paso", a blend of Tempranillo, Grenache, and Cabernet Sauvignon. The Tempranillo and Grenache are a couple of the primary grapes in many Spanish reds, and coming from this Central Coast region, calling this wine Toro de Paso just made sense.
Offering plenty of underbrush, loamy earth, spice and mulled black fruits, the 2013 Toro de Paso is medium-bodied, nicely concentrated, with good fruit, but a firm, savory edge to its tannin. Give bottles a year in the cellar but plan on drinking by 2023. The blend in 2013 is 65% Tempranillo, 25% Grenache, 5% Cabernet, and 5% Merlot, all of which spent two years in oak.
- Item #: i_205620Bottle Size: 750mlBorn in Michoacan, Mexico, winemaker Edgar Torres has lived in the coastal town of Cambria, California since the age of 8. As it seems to happen to many people who live close to Paso Robles, he fell in love with wine and decided to make his livelihood in the wine business. Hey...can you blame him?!? He has worked with many of the superstars of the Central Coast, including Matt Garretson, Augie Hug and Alta Maria Vineyards. More recently, he has worked alongside one of our best friends, McPrice Myers over at Barrel 27 (what a mentor!), when Edgar isn't tinkering on his own wines.
Edgar makes wines that knock our socks off! The intensity of these wines are rivaled by few here in the United States and we suggest you check out what Edgar can do! El CabRhone is a play on words, as this is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (50%) and Rhone varietals (30% Grenache, 10% Syrah, and 10% Mourvedre). The wine offers a lovely blackberry and plum core which is surrounded by cinnamon and sweet applewood smoke notes, with orange-peel-candied-in-chocolate elements. Fine tannins and elegant acidity combine with the pure fruit and spices for a long, seamless finish. Only 145 cases were produced!
- Item #: i_205610Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 50% Garnacha, 33% Carignan, and 17% Tempranillo from the Paper Street Vineyard. The 2016 Mi Montsant was my favorite of these offerings from Bodega De Edgar, offering up lovely aromas of blackberry, spice, cherry, dried flowers and burning embers. On the palate, it's full-bodied, rich and layered, with a lavish core of fruit but also lovely energy and definition. The finish is long and finely tannic.
- Item #: i_205640Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 60% Cargnan, 15% Garnacha, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10% Syrah from the Paper Street Vineyard.
- Item #: i_205520Bottle Size: 750mlBorn in Michoacan, Mexico, winemaker Edgar Torres has lived in the coastal town of Cambria, California since the age of 8. As it seems to happen to many people who live close to Paso Robles, he fell in love with wine and decided to make his livelihood in the wine business. Hey…can you blame him?!? He has worked with many of the superstars of the Central Coast, including Matt Garretson, Augie Hug, Alta Maria Vineyards, Barrel 27, and McPrice Myers! We sampled his latest releases a few months ago, and they really knocked our socks off! The intensity of these wines are rivaled by few here in the United States, and we suggest you check out what Edgar can do!
The "La Guera" bottling is comprised of 75% Albarino and 25% Chardonnay. With an aroma of fresh white flowers such as honey suckle, lemon blossoms and pineapple this wine bursts from the glass. Followed by similar notes on the palate including citrus and apple notes that compliment the acidity and minerality behind it. Perfect to pair with fresh seafood, a perfect summer salad or cheese. Drink now or save up to 5 years.
- Item #: i_205750Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 95-97 POINTS - "I loved the 2017 Oublie. This blend of 53% Grenache, 22% Mourvedre, 21% Syrah and the rest a mix of varieties offers a layered, silky, seamless profile. Giving up more black and blue fruits, peppery herbs, and floral overtones, it has silky tannins, medium to full body, and a great finish. It’s another beautiful wine."
- Item #: i_205720Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96-98 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Vertigo checks in as 63% Syrah, 30% Mourvedre, 4% Grenache, and the balance Petite Sirah that's still aging in 65% new French oak. One of the more voluptuous, sexy 2017s from Jenson, it boasts loads of black and blue fruits, ground pepper, and spring flower aromas and flavors. Deep, full-bodied, ultra-pure, and with a big finish, it's killer wine in the making."
- Item #: i_205800Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 White is in the same ballpark and reminds me of a top Hermitage Blanc from Michel Chapoutier. Quince, honeysuckle, buttered citrus, marmalade, and white flower notes all flow to a full-bodied, concentrated, yet beautifully balanced white that does everything right. It's that perfect match of richness and freshness, not to mention awesome purity."
- Item #: i_206075Bottle Size: 750mlVivid ruby in color, cherry, cassis, and succulent herbs on the fragrant nose are joined by a slowly building tobacco nuance. Plush and supple in texture, showing good depth to the lively bitter cherry and black currant flavors. A smoky note appears on the finish, which features velvety tannins and lingering dark berry character.