- Item #: i_276550Bottle Size: 750MLMiner Family Vineyards is a dynamic family-owned winery tucked into the eastern hills of the Oakville appellation, squarely within the heart of Napa Valley. Founded by Dave and Emily Miner along with his folks Ed and Norma, Miner is defined first and foremost by a sensational portfolio of wines, wines consistently characterized by and committed to individualistic style and uncommon quality.
This commitment to the production of fine wines led the Miners to the Krupp Brothers of Stagecoach Vineyards. The Stagecoach vineyard surely must be one of the most ambitious vineyard developments to date. Situated upon and named for an 1800s stagecoach trail, this 800-acre vineyard was laboriously carved from enormous rocks and boulders high atop the eastern hills of Napa Valley. At nearly 1500 feet above the Valley floor and nearly straddling the Oakville Ranch property, this vineyard has quickly caught fire with winemakers searching for grapes of uncommonly deep and profoundly complex nature. Terrior-driven, the meticulously farmed blocks are hand-picked according to Miner's winemaker Gary Brookman's specifications.
Loaded with rich ripe fruit and spice notes with touches of toasty oak, this Merlot has a nice firm grip from fine tannins boasting a huge lengthy finish uncommon in many Merlots made today. Enjoy now or you can tuck this away in the cellar for a few years!
- Item #: i_245240Bottle Size: 750MLJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsThe Double L Vineyard is well situated to produce Chardonnay of the highest caliber. Located near the northern tip of the Santa Lucia Highlands AVA, the vineyard receives brisk afternoon breezes from nearby Monterey Bay. North-south vineyard row orientation allows for optimum sun exposure on the Highlands’ east - facing terraces. Wind and sun combine for a long growing season, resulting in vibrant fruit flavors with balanced acidity. The vineyard was certified organic in 2002, although it has been conscientiously farmed in this method since the original plantings in 1997.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Limpid yellow. Powerful, mineral-accented Meyer lemon, pear and vanilla scents show very good clarity and complicating suggestions of fennel and toasty lees. Minerally and focused in the mouth, offering pliant citrus and orchard fruit flavors; deeper suggestions of honey and buttered toast emerge on the back half. Shows impressive depth as well as energy and finishes smoky and very long, with a suave floral nuance hanging on."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Aged 10 months in 15% new French oak, the 2016 Chardonnay Double L is a step up in quality and is a more serious, layered Chardonnay. White peach, white flowers, honeysuckle, and a touch of brioche all emerge from this silky, elegant effort that has racy acidity, terrific balance, and a great finish. Drink it any time over the coming 5-7 years, and I wouldn/t be surprised to see it keep longer."
- Item #: i_253650Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Rattlesnake Zinfandel is tribute to the crest called Rattlesnake Hill, the highest point of the Monte Rosso Vineyard and a site famous for rattlesnakes living among the vines. During the day, the snakes seek the abundant sunshine and in the evening, the coil inside and around the vines. This Zinfandel is fulled with an alluring mouthwatering quality with robust flavors that includes rupe blueberries, blackberries, cherry jam and fig all tied together by a brambly undertone. Accents of white pepper, licorice, and smoke weave through the wine, deepening throughout the luscious finish.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Zinfandel Rattlesnake is medium to deep garnet-purple colored with a nose of raspberry preserves, fruitcake and blackberry pie with hints of Indian spices and tilled soil plus a waft of tree bark. Full, rich and balsamic in the mouth with firm, chewy tannins and a lively acid line, it finishes long and spicy. 5,100 cases produced."
- Item #: i_232999Bottle Size: 750mlDripping with terroir; between the volcanic soils, altitude and terraced vineyards, Mount Veeder produces wines that taste unique from the rest of Napa Valley thus earning its AVA status. The small clusters of grapes grown on this mountain site produce powerful wines with depth and structure along with savory, brambly tones. Mount Veeder is nestled on the Mayacamas Mountain range that seperates Napa and Sonoma Valley. While only gaining its AVA status in the early '90s, wine production on this mountain dates back almost 50 years before the prohibition era of the 1920s. Vineyards within this AVA are all steeply terraced, carved into the side of the mountain. The steepness of the angle (up to 30 degrees) gives the vineyards benefits of more direct sunlight and better drainage.
The Mount Veeder Winery has history dating back to the '60s with its debut wine released in 1973. The vineyard was converted from a plum orchard by Michael and Arlene Bernstein after being given a bundle of vine clippings. Michael's attention was focused on planting a vineyard and theirs ended up being the first in Napa to have all 5 Bordeaux varietals planted. Since that first vintage, Mount Veeder Winery has expanded to three vineyard ranches high in the Mayacamas Mountains and continues to produce powerful, bold wines that are a true expression of this unique wine-growing region.
Deep ruby in color, this wine shows wonderfully rich, ripe berries and blackberry cobbler on the nose complemented by hints of earth, cigar box, and dried sage. A supple, well-structured palate and full body with a slight mineral edge, dark cassis fruit and ripe black cherry build complexity with layers of mocha and baking spices. The wine is dry but finishes with a lovely, delicate sweetness.
- Item #: i_205730Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsFormer Newport Beach resident Eric Jensen has really made a name for himself up in Paso Robles. His Booker lineup of wines specializes in Rhone varieties (such as Syrah, Grenache, and Petit Manseng) and have become highly sought after for their intensity, complexity, and sheer enjoyment. If you're the type that's interested in scores, Booker is one of the few Paso Robles wineries to have earned 100 points from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate!
Eric's My Favorite Neighbor label started as an homage to his mentor Stephan Asseo of L'Aventure winery; Stephan would always call and say "Hello Eric, this is Stephan, your favorite neighbor". This was Eric's foray into fine-tuning the Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet-based blends he was making. Eric was able to find clay soils in Westside Paso Robles (an area known for its limestone-rich soils), and took advice from Benoit Touquette (who makes Realm Cellars, Fait-Main, and Teeter Totter) and Toni Biagi (who makes Patria and Hourglass)...over deliver, under charge, and do it using the best sites, the best winemaking team and sparing no expense on barrels or equipment. Judging by the last few releases of his My Favorite Neighbor Cabernet, we'll say that he has been doing exactly that!
And now, he has released Harvey and Harriet! This is named after Eric's parents, and is a Cabernet/Syrah blend, not too dissimilar to what his favorite neighbor Stephan does with L'Aventure. Our domestic wine buyer tasted this over a few nights, and feels that this will rival any Napa or Sonoma Cabernet at the $50 price point...and this one sells for less!
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The My Favorite Neighbor releases are made by Eric Jensen and there are two cuvees, the Harvey and Harriet and the flagship My Favorite Neighbor. The Harvey and Harriet release is named after Jensen’s parents and includes small amounts of Syrah, Petit Verdot, Malbec. It’s made to be the more black-fruited, richer, more powerful wine in the lineup."
"Named after winemaker Eric Jensen's parents, the 2017 Harvey and Harriet is a blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah, and the rest Petit Verdot and Malbec. It offers a richer, powerful style as well as Napa Cabernet-like notes of black and blue fruits, scorched earth, crushed rocks, and violets. Rich, full-bodied, beautifully concentrated, and voluptuous on the palate, it's more approachable than the flagship Cabernet Sauvignon, but I wouldn't bet against it aging just as long."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Harvey and Harriet is made up of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah, 6% Petite Sirah, 5% Malbec and 4% Petit Verdot aged in 80% new French oak. It gives up wonderful creme de cassis, chocolate mint, kirsch, blackberry and black cherry jam aromas with a classy frame of vanilla and sweet baking spices plus sparks of graphite, cedar, flowers and tobacco leaf. The medium to full-bodied, silky palate features rich, plush, meaty black fruits with firm but finely woven tannins and just enough juicy freshness to lift the long, layered finish. This is great! It deserves more time in bottle, but it's drinking wonderfully straight out of the gate."
- Item #: i_247750Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsThe soils of Kick On Vineyard are composed primarily of ocean floor sandy loams. Because it is the most westerly vineyard in the area, it is perhaps the most maritime of all vineyards in this growing region. With the Pacific coastline only miles away, a constant maritime influence results in wines of crisp acidity, bright fruit and an inherent balance. This soil stresses the vines somewhat, resulting in grapes of greater flavor and concentration. While the yields tend to be low to moderate, the concentration and extraction of the grape materials tends to be intense and quality-driven.
JEB DUNNUCK 92+ POINTS - "The medium-bodied, vibrant 2016 Pinot Noir Kick On is another age-worthy effort that has everything in the right places. Perfumed notes of mulberries, dried flowers, strawberries, and menthol, medium body, bright acidity, and fine tannins all make for a beautiful Pinot Noir that will benefit from short-term cellaring and keep for a decade."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Pinot Noir Kick On Ranch is another pretty and highly expressive wine in this range. Done in a slender, slightly nervous style, the 2016 is built on expressive aromatics and notable persistence, with the fruit lying more in the background. It will be interesting to see if this reticent, tightly wound Pinot gains a bit more flesh with time in the bottle."
- Item #: i_248610Bottle Size: 750mlLike the mannequins on the label, many of Orin Swift's Chardonnay vineyards have their own set of unique characteristics - the soil, the rickety old gate, or even the dove hunters in the adjacent field. From the tops of the Stagecoach Vineyard to the cool Sonoma Carneros, Orin Swift lets Chardonnay hang until they turn golden-brown, and after being carefully picked, are barrel fermented in a mix of new and seasoned French oak. No two resulting lots ever smell or taste the same, but when blended together, they create something never seen before - much like the collection of mannequins on the bottle.
Pale gold in the glass, opulent aromatics of Meyer lemon, vanilla creme, and sweet oak are complemented by subtle notes of jasmine, gardenias and caramel. The layered palate is replete with ripe stone fruit, melon, lemon curd and hints of roasted almond, grapefruit pith and white pepper. The finish is long and rich with a tapering young coconut flavor.
- Item #: i_248070Bottle Size: 750MLOrin Swift considers this wine to be the culmination of a thirteen-year process. From 2000-2012 Dave Phinney spent countless hours in the vineyards and in blending trials working to perfect The Prisoner. He has taken all that knowledge, both the trials and tribulations, and diligently applied it to Abstract. With The Prisoner chapter of winemaking behind him, orin Swift feels as if a natural progression has been made and an evolution has occurred. Orin Swift's ongoing pursuit of choice vineyards throughout California resulted in some extraordinary Grenache, along with exquisite Petit Sirah, and Syrah that was assembled together into an artful collage both in and outside of the bottle.
Aromatics with gravity, the wine pulls you in with notes of blueberry, black fig, bloodied strawberry and hints of musk and rhubarb. Bold on the entry, the palate exudes rich notes of dark plum and ripe framboise with a slightly chalky texture. The wine transitions effortlessly to a finish of black cherry, sweet licorice and some quick drying tannins.
- Item #: i_249101Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Petite Verdot, 12% Zinfandel, 8% Petite Sirah, 8% Syrah, 6% Tempranillo, and 3% Merlot, this rich, luxurious and complex wine begins with alluring aromas of ripe cherry, red currant, cranberry and blueberry, along with sophisticated notes of sandalwood, clove, anise and black tea. On the palate, smooth, silky tannins underscore the lush black cherry and currant flavors, with hints of chocolate, spice and cracked pepper adding depth and nuance to the long, flowing finish.
- Item #: i_248800Bottle Size: 750MLThis dazzling Pinot Noir offers beautiful aromas of black cherry, cranberry and cinnamon, as well as deeper notes of mulled spice, black licorice, dark chocolate and earthy forest floor. On the palate, it is light on its feet, without ever being light, displaying wonderful drive and dense, fine-grained tannins that add structure and sophistication to layers of lush fruit and enticing spice. Complex and compelling, it captures both the elegance and energy of great Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir.
- Item #: i_249340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Dutton Ranch aged on the lees in 35% new oak with weekly batonnage. It reluctantly opens to apple pie, toast, apricot, roasted almonds and smoky reduction. It's medium-bodied, silky and more expressive in the mouth with honeyed, savory notions framing the intense fruits, enlivened by juicy acidity and finishing long and textured. This will benefit from another year in bottle."
- Item #: i_249600Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsPeake Ranch is a boutique winery owned by John & Gillian Wagner. Like all of us who have visited Santa Barbara County, the couple fell in love with the beautiful country side and the friendliness of the people.. They purchased Peake Ranch with a vision of building a winery and a house on the property. Years later they are in their third vintage garnering rave reviews from the top critics. Paul Lato leads the team as winemaker and with nearly two decades of experience, has earned critical acclaim with top critics along with placements of his own wines in top restaurants in the United States, Europe and Japan!
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "There are three Pinot Noirs from Peake Ranch, all brilliant wines. Black cherries, black raspberries, smoked herbs, and hints of licorice define the bouquet of the 2016 Pinot Noir Santa Rita Hills, which is the entry level Pinot Noir of this estate. It's a rich, concentrated, powerful Pinot Noir that has moderate tannins, good acidity, and beautiful upfront charm. Aged 18 months in 62% new French oak, drink it any time over the coming 6-7 years."
Winery Notes - A compelling example of what can be achieved with Pinot Noir from Santa Rita Hills, this wine captures the natural balance and complexity of this special appellation. The aromas blend bright cherries and blueberries with a subtle and distinguished earthiness expressed as dried oregano, white pepper and black tea. An engaging, seductive texture is supported with a backbone of French oak and finely- grained tannins.
- Item #: i_249690Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsAnybody who has been in our store asking for California Chardonnay recommendations has surely heard us mention the wines of Peake Ranch. This producer has previously been on our domestic "Top Wine" list in 2018, and judging by the newly released 2017 Santa Barbara County Chardonnay, there's a good chance that they will be on the list this year!
Peake Ranch is a boutique, family-run winery owned by John and Gillian Wagner. Like all of us who have visited Santa Barbara County, the couple fell in love with the beautiful countryside and the friendliness of the people. They purchased Peake Ranch with a vision of building a winery and a house on the property, and producing extraordinary wines. They also bring a humbleness and sense of humility, which is honestly quite refreshing, considering that in only their third vintage, they began to receive rave reviews from the top critics!
Located on the eastern end of the Sta. Rita Hills AVA on Santa Rosa Road, Peake Ranch is a 105-acre parcel with 50 acres of vines. The plantings are all along a hill that exposes the vines to the cool air that comes off the Pacific and into the Santa Ynez Valley. The combination of various facing slopes, coupled with the exposure to varying degrees of the cool wind give the vineyard a diversity of fruit flavor profiles, resulting in more complex wines.
The winemaking team consists of Paul Lato and Wynne Solomon. Paul has nearly two decades of experience, has earned critical acclaim with top critics (as high as 99 points), and has placed his eponymous line of wines in top restaurants in the United States, Europe and Japan! Wynne studied Wine and Viticulture at Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo, and began making wine with Stephen Ross Winery in the Edna Valley before moving down to the Sta. Rita Hills to continue pursuing cool climate winemaking with Melville Winery. She joined the Peake Ranch team in 2018, worked with Paul Lato in blending the 2017 vintage, and made the 2018 vintage hand in hand with him. Her vision for Peake Ranch is to focus on the unique attributes of this area while emphasizing balance in Californian wines.
This Chardonnay is comprised of the Peak Ranch Estate Vineyard, coupled with Chardonnay from the famed Sierra Madre Vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley. Sierra Madre is comprised of sandy, well-drained soil, and the Chardonnay planted here takes advantage of sunny days and cool night to become both fully ripe and at the same time retain a high level of acidity.
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "An up and coming estate readers need to check out is John and Gillian Wagner's Peake Ranch. Located on the eastern/southern side of the Sta. Rita Hills, they produce a stunning array of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Syrahs. Prices haven't caught up with quality, so these are still screaming values."
"A stunning value, the 2017 Chardonnay Santa Barbara County comes from the Sierra Madre and Peake Ranch vineyards and was barrel fermented and aged 18 months in 50% new French oak. It offers a rich, powerful, quintessential California bouquet of orchard fruits, toasted spice, grilled bread, and white flowers. It's a ripe, sexy, yet flawlessly balanced effort that stays balanced, pure, and lengthy. It's a smoking value even at the $40 price point."
- Item #: i_249790Bottle Size: 750MLPeju's 2016 Merlot is spectacular, offering up fragrant, layered aromas of juicy pomegranate, baking spice, and a hint of cedar. Lush fruits of cherry and blackberry envelop the palate. Soft hints of toasted almond and vanilla culminate with an elegant finish. Delicious now, this Merlot will continue to mature for the next 6-8 years.
- Item #: i_249920Bottle Size: 750mlJames Suckling: 93JAMES SUCKLING 93 POINTS - "There’s an impressive sense of ripe, dense dark cherries on this Estate Vineyard bottling, delivering a very attractive nose and plenty of deep flavors on the palate. Smooth, fluid and even-paced, this has good potential. Best from 2022."
- Item #: i_251370Bottle Size: 750mlOn the nose this wine offers aromas of cherry cola and freshly picked wild strawberries with a lingering scent of lightly oiled rosewood. On the palate it shows the classic Santa Maria sandalwood spice, mixed with ripe red and black cherry, strawberry and huckleberry.
- Item #: i_248410Bottle Size: 750mlThe only thing really changing at Prisoner Wine Company is their level of awesomeness! In fact, these wines still continue to receive the same scores that were awarded at the inception of Prisoner! Since that time, they produced two new wines; the Cuttings Cabernet-Blend and Blindfold White. These wines are following suit, and have come some of our better sellers at their respective pricepoints. Jen Beloz is Prisoner's winemaker, and she worked with Dave Phinney to keep the "house style". So…Prisoner wines are still rockin'!
Based on the success of their newer bottlings, we have been very eager to get our hands on the Thorn Merlot. There are a few vineyards in Napa Valley that are so amazing, they only go to wineries that will do the fruit justice. Whenever we see these vineyard sources, we know there's something delicious in the bottle! Prisoner's Thorn is comprised from fruit from a few of these vineyards; family-owned vineyards of varying ages and soils, lending to the layers of character and complexity. These vineyards are Hudson, Stagecoach, Antica, and Trefethen; these vineyards also sell fruit to other notable wineries, such as Arietta, Kongsgaard, Lewis, Pahlmeyer, and Paul Hobbs!
Aromas of savory spice, black cherry, and mocha with cedar and blackberry. The entry delivers an elegant balance with flavors of black plum and anise, along with hints of grilled rosemary and toasted oak. Velvety, chocolate tannins develop into a robust finish. Bravo Prisoner…keep sending us more wines like this!
- Item #: i_252050Bottle Size: 750MLThe expansive aromas and flavors of Provenance Vineyards Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon are filled with brambly blackberry, dark plum, black cherry and cassis character. Hints of clove, black pepper and mocha add warmth to the aromas, while toffee and hazelnut notes from oak aging linger on the dark-fruit palate. Cocoa powder tannins, a signature of Rutherford terroir, firmly frame the generous, mouth-filling flavors.
- Item #: i_252770Bottle Size: 750MLANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay (Fort Ross-Seaview) is soft, creamy and wonderfully inviting, with notes of lemon confit, white flowers, white pepper and mint. The Fort-Ross Seaview Chardonnay - made entirely from Martinelli's Charles Ranch - takes the place of the former Sonoma Coast bottling. The 2018 finishes with terrific freshness and nuance. This is a gorgeous wine."
- Item #: i_252750Bottle Size: 750MLDavid Ramey is among a distinguished group of pioneering American vintners who revolutionized modern-day winemaking and elevated California to the forefront of the international wine community. Hailed as “Professor Chardonnay” by Wine Spectator, David’s groundbreaking work with indigenous yeasts, sur lies aging and malolactic and barrel fermentation yielded a new California Chardonnay style that was richer, more lush and silky smooth. Ramey Wine Cellars crafts exceptional expressions of Chardonnay.
- Item #: i_275680Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleBootlegger is an exceptional wine done in the traditional solera style used in the making of fine cream sherries. The solera system of fractional blending is used to maintain the consistency and style of the wine from year to year. For this reason, wines from the solera are non-vintage and each bottle has some wine in it from every year that the wine has been produced. Our version is layered with rich hints of peaches and pears combines with a hint of hazelnut.
- Item #: i_208515Bottle Size: 375mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottleJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate showed beautifully, with gorgeous notes of cassis, crushed violets, graphite, and lead pencil all emerging from the glass. Showing plenty of richness and depth, medium to full body, good acidity, and plenty of firm tannins, it's not a blockbuster, but it has the balance and class to evolve for 15 years or more. The blend is 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 21% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc, and the rest Petit Verdot."
- Item #: i_254620Bottle Size: 750MLRidge has made the Geyserville as a single-site Zinfandel in every year since 1966. The grapes are grown in three adjoining vineyards on a defined stretch of gravelly soil approximately one-and-a-quarter miles long and a half-mile wide.
A blend of 68% Zinfandel, 18% Carignane, 12% Petite Sirah, and 2% Alicante Bouschet, the wine had a dark ruby color and aromas of ripe black cherries, plum, sweet oak, mint, and gravel earth. Rich bramble fruit entry, round and supple tannins, refreshing acidity, and layered complex fruits in a long finish.
- Item #: i_254590Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Ridge's 2017 Lytton Springs opens up beautifully, with bright acids that drive a whole range of red/purplish fruit intermingled with floral notes. Creamy and ample in feel, the 2017 boasts superb balance and pedigree. Readers lucky enough to own it should plan on cellaring it for at least a few years."