- Item #: i_252030Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Made up of 97% Merlot, 2% Cabernet Sauvignon and 1% Malbec aged for 21 months in 24% new oak (88% French and 12% Hungarian) the medium to deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Merlot opens with bags of plums, baked cherries and mulberries-inspired scents with touches of incense, Chinese five spice and dusty soil. Full-bodied with a chewy frame and compelling freshness, it finishes on an earthy note."
- Item #: i_222850Bottle Size: 750mlRabble Merlot is a throwback, delivering full bodied, luscious dark bruised berries and cassis. The rich berries give a tremendous amount of density on the palate that continues and lingers with long and decadent tannin. A throw back Merlot. Powerful and seductive in color and body. Dusty notes with rich fruit. Chalky tannins and composed sructure
- Item #: i_253260Bottle Size: 750mlThe Tempest – a famous play, a violent storm, and the name of Realm's Merlot-based blend, fashioned after the great wines of Pomerol in Bordeaux. The Tempest was the first proprietary wine Realm released, so named for the "perfect" storm of three grape varietals that became available at the same time, from the same vineyard, in 2002 -- the year of Realm's tumultuous beginning. Though their equipment was borrowed and the winery they occupied unfinished, Realm's grapes were sound that year – beautiful in fact – and the resulting wine reflected a fierce determination to brave the storm. The Tempest is still made with beautiful grapes, from vineyards such as Beckstoffer Orchard and Dr. Crane, as well as Blair Vineyard in Calistoga. Predominantly Merlot, with lesser amounts of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot depending on vintage, The Tempest is a roiling cauldron of lush, bright, red fruit – a wine that shows what Merlot can be in the right hands, from the right vineyards.
- Item #: i_256620Bottle Size: 750mlWhen Robert Foley was the winemaker for Pride Mountain on Spring Mountain, he was known for crafting Merlot for Cabernet drinkers. So it should come as no surprise that his own Merlot can be described in the same manner! At a recent trade tasting, all the Robert Foley wines were stunning...but it was the complexity and intensity of his Merlot that really caught us off guard. Was it really the Merlot we were drinking, and not the Cabernet? Yes, Merlot really can be one of the great wines in your life! Combining fruit from Foley's Howell Mountain estate with fruit from the valley floor, the wine's dark ruby color introduces a ripe medley of blueberry/ blackberry pie aromas. The mid-palate floods with ripe berry flavors that then introduce mocha, vanilla and espresso nuances that linger through the finish. Even if you think you don't like Merlot, reserve judgment until you've tried this one!
- Item #: i_256675Bottle Size: 375mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 Points**Please note, this is a half sized bottleJEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2014 Merlot kicks off the Bordeaux varieties with a bang and offers full-bodied, ripe, sexy aromas and flavors of black cherries, chocolate, graphite, and spice. A wine that builds with time in the glass, it has no hard edges, terrific purity, and a great finish. Drink it over the coming decade."
- Item #: i_256660Bottle Size: 750mlThe Griffin – the Foley family crest in Irish heraldry combines the strengths of the lion, king of beasts, with the eagle, king of the skies – is a fitting representation of our signature red blend. A winemaker's dream is to be artistically free to combine characters into wine that is purely hedonic and non-compliant with varietal regulations, so The Griffin's blend changes with every vintage.
A blend of 28% Merlot, 19% Petite Sirah, 14% Charbono, 12% Malbec, 11% Syrah, 10% Petit Verdot, and 6% Cabernet Sauvignon, this vibrantly youthful red blend offers aromas and flavors that evenly coat the palate and linger long in the finish. Gently gripping tannins carry a hint of espresso character. A delicious blend of bright fruit flavors. Delicious in its youth, this red blend combines the stuffing and balance to age elegantly for many, many years.
- Item #: i_255240Bottle Size: 750MLIf Merlot has dropped out of favor, why the heck do we sell so much of this? It's because you can't stop a good-- make that great-- thing! Rombauer has earned an insatiable following for their reds and whites, but this new vintage of Merlot might be their best Merlot release ever! The grapes are pulled from several well-respected vineyards in Napa Valley's Carneros region, including the famed Sangiacomo Vineyard! Aged for 17 months in a French oak for that perfect balance of structure and opulence, this delicious Merlot is crafted from cool-climate grapes with a warm climate personality.
Aromas of fresh, ripe blueberries, ripe plum and black currant intertwine with notes of cedar, vanilla and pie crust. This medium-bodied wine is plush with flavors of plums, blueberries and figs upfront, leading to juicy red fruit on the midpalate. Delicious now, its depth and structure provide long cellaring potential.
- Item #: i_275006Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleBright plum and pomegranate aromas ready the palate for this elegant and unique wine. Smooth, silky fruit with supple tannins and soft herbal notes finish with a smooth, lingering finish. Presents beautifully now and will only improve with age.
- Item #: i_257640Bottle Size: 750mlAlong California's Central Coast, the Paso Robles appellation of San Luis Obispo County provides an ideal climate for growing Merlot. A dry climate with warm days allows for complete maturation of the grapes and creates ripe fruit flavors. The maritime influence of the Pacific Ocean creates very cool nights, which preserve the natural acid balance of the grapes.
San Simeon Merlot expresses rich flavors of blackberry and cassis. Aromas of black fruit greet the nose, while barrel-afing contributes nuances of brown sugar and oak spcies. Well-integrated tannins offer texture and a plush mouthfeel. A small percentage of Petit Verdot was added for additional complexity.
- Item #: i_275260Bottle Size: 750mlThis wine is drawn from the original Merlot blocks at Seven Hills Vineyard that Casey McClellan planted with her father in the summer of 1982. 2014 marks the 27th vintage she has made Merlot from these same vines. This vintage exhibits a beautiful, dark ruby color and enticing aromas of black cherry, bramble berries, cocoa, cedar, and rose petals. The palate is supple and generous with loads of red and black fruits accentuated with vanilla and spice and finishing with both supple fruit and firm, spicy tannins. While drinking well at release, it will improve considerably with a few years of bottle age and should cellar well for up to ten years from vintage.
- Item #: i_275220Bottle Size: 750mlThis vintage exhibits a beautiful, dark ruby color and enticing aromas of black cherry, bramble berries, cocoa, cedar, and rose petals. The palate is supple with generous red and black fruits accentuated by vanilla and spice, finishing with both supple fruit and polished tannins. While drinking well at release, it will improve considerably with bottle age, and should cellar well for up to ten years from vintage.
- Item #: i_259955Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsThis is the latest release for an exciting Bordeaux-style blend from Shafer Vineyards; one of the most prized wineries in all of the Napa Valley! TD-9 is a proprietary blend that celebrates a bold move. In 1973, in the space of a few months, John Shafer went from riding morning commuter trains in Chicago to teaching himself to drive a TD-9 tractor in his Napa Valley vineyard. He'd never grown grapes or made wine in his life. That spirit of risk-taking and adventure still guides Shafer today and inspired the creation of this new wine.
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Moving to the reds, the 2017 TD-9 Proprietary Red Blend is mostly Merlot yet includes 22% Malbec and a small amount of Cabernet Sauvignon. Deep purple-hued with sweet aromas of jammy blackberries, spiced cherries, herbes de Provence, and dried flowers, it is a wonderfully textured, medium to full-bodied, balanced red with sweet tannins and a great finish. It's going to evolve nicely for 10-12 years."
- Item #: i_276260Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of Merlot, Malbec, Petite Sirah, and Cabernet Sauvignon, this wine shows opulent aromas of black currant, plums and blueberry pie greet the nose, accompanied by hints of tobacco and leather. The refined yet robust palate is multi-dimensional, showcasing flavors of dark berries and vanilla complemented by velveteen gripping tannins, a savory, richly dense mouthfeel and lingering finish.
- Item #: i_264460Bottle Size: 750mlThe wines from St. Supery have gone from strength-to-strength. So much, in fact, that they were even featured twice on our "Top Wine" list for December 2014! Their winemaker Michael Scholz is the guy that everybody in Napa is talking about, because his deft hand with Bordeaux varietals are fashioning amazing wines that are quickly making other wineries envious!
St. Supery Estate Vineyards and Winery is a 100% Estate Grown, sustainably farmed winery located in the renowned Rutherford growing region in the heart of Napa Valley. The vineyard sits on the "Rutherford Bench" of mineral-rich alluvial and well-drained soils allowing the grapevine's root systems to mine for nutrients and water, yielding complex and concentrated flavors. Committed to producing the highest quality estate wines without compromise, St. Supery focuses on sustainable winery and farming operations to protect the land and environment for future generations.
This Merlot presents with deep purple hues and red notes. Aromas of black plum, blueberry and dark chocolate combine with anise, charred oak and a hint of graphite that result in dark fruit flavors of plum and cherry. The wine continues to evolve with black currant and dark mocha flavors and a hint of dusty terroir on the palate. This is a structured and elegant Merlot with fine-grained tannins.
- Item #: i_265155Bottle Size: 750mlThe Investor is a red wine that beautifully blends together the unique flavors and expressions of Merlot, Petite Sirah, Cabernet Sauvignon and Malbec, resulting in a powerful, yet approachable assemblage with significant fruit presence. The Merlot contributes fresh red berry aromatics and a soft, velvety texture to balance the power of Petite Sirah, which adds concentration, tannins, spice and blueberry flavors. The Cabernet Sauvignon further increases the final blend's complexity and depth and the Malbec's incredibly vibrant floral aromatics heighten the blend's freshness. The majority of the Petite Sirah fruit comes from estate vineyards in Oakville, and additional fruit is sourced from a diverse selection of northern and southern Napa Valley vineyards to broaden the wine’s floral and spicy characteristics. The Merlot is grown on the Stags' Leap estate in the heart of the Stags Leap District, and a selection of southern valley floor Cabernet Sauvignon fruit makes up the balance of the blend. The final blend is 40% Merlot, 30% Petite Sirah, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 10% Malbec.
- Item #: i_241560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "We love Merlot planted in the southern part of the Napa Valley, and in particular from around the town of Napa and Carneros, for its robust fruit flavors and added structure. The fruit was handpicked and carefully sorted. Fermentation was intentionally fast and warm, with a total of 6 days on the skins. The wine was pressed for good color extraction while minimizing fruit bitterness. We aged it in both French and American oak barrels for about 18 months, with 32% of the barrels being new."
This Merlot has a deep red color with black hues. The aromas focus on bright forward cherry and currant fruits, with toasty oak, caramel, clvoe vanilla, and bay leaf. A focused entry leads to a round, fleshy mid-palate with moderate acidity. The wine displays great richness, while not being heavy. The finish is moderately long, accented by red fruit and barrel notes.
- Item #: i_265450Bottle Size: 750mlApproachable and rich, the 2014 Stewart Napa Valley Merlot boasts a bouquet of rose petals and milk chocolate which leads into a palate of lush cherry, plum, and wild raspberry. It has nicely balanced acidity and tannins giving a long, soft finish. The wine’s luxurious and refined texture make it wonderful to pair with food.
- Item #: i_277180Bottle Size: 750mlDeep dark in glass with gorgeous aromas of blue fruit, pie crust and a touch of coconut husk. On the palate the rich texture combines well with the full-bodied tannins and ripe plum and cassis flavors. Layers of fruit intertwine with subtle secondary flavors of briar, cigar box and touch of graphite minerality.
- Item #: i_268140Bottle Size: 1.5LSwitchback Ridge Wines are sourced exclusively from the Peterson Family Vineyard in Calistoga. The property has been in the Peterson family since 1914 and encompasses nearly 100 acres located at the mouth of Dutch Henry Canyon. Robert Foley continues to lead the winemaking and in typical Foley fashion, this Merlot is huge!
- Item #: i_268130Bottle Size: 750mlSwitchback Ridge Wines are sourced exclusively from the Peterson Family Vineyard in Calistoga. The property has been in the Peterson family since 1914 and encompasses nearly 100 acres located at the mouth of Dutch Henry Canyon. Robert Foley continues to lead the winemaking and in typical Foley fashion, this Merlot is huge!
- Item #: i_268135Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottle- "Dense and a touch brooding, with plenty of sanguinity to the powerful dark plum, black currant and dried blackberry flavors. Hints of mint and cream show on the suave finish. Drink now through 2022."
- Item #: i_268860Bottle Size: 750MLBecause Merlot flourishes in relatively cool growing regions with moist soils, it's extremely well-suited to the ancient alluvial loams, temperate climate, and long growing season of the Trefethen family's estate vineyard in the Oak Knoll District of Napa Valley, a sweet spot between Napa's warmer up-valley regions and its cool southern tip.
Trefethen's Merlot delights from the start with a lovely nose of dark cherry and plum. The aroma gives way to savory notes of black pepper, mushrooms and chocolate. The wine is lush and silky tannins back up a full, strong palate with great structure through the end.
- Item #: i_278665Bottle Size: 750MLWINERY NOTES:-"Our single vineyard wine from the Napa Valley. Slightly opaque scarlet red with aroms of black cherry, roasted meat, wet soil, raspberry jam, mocha, loose pipe tobacco, dried blueberry and brioche. Velvet entry, structured mid-palate, mouthwatering, bright cherry, blackberry, vanilla flavors and an enticing texture. Nicely integrated tannins, elegant, juicy with a long finish and return."