- Item #: i_232600Bottle Size: 750MLBranham's 2018 "Jazz" trio continues to bring down the house! Presenting their group from the Napa Valley: 40% Petit Verdot, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 30% Petite Sirah. Sitting in for a short solo is the accomplished "Branham Rockpile fruit." Encore after encore, this proprietary blend never fails to satisfy the eye and palate. Refined melodies of black-plum, dark berries and coffee notes are enhanced by a purposeful symmetry of balanced tannins and acidity. Pair with music!
- Item #: i_206620Bottle Size: 750MLIn 1980 when the Brown family stumbled upon their now renowned property in the Chiles Valley sub-appellation of the Napa Valley, it was but a ghost ranch up the hill east of Rutherford. Five years later they planted vineyards and for a decade they farmed and sold wine grapes. In 1995 the second generation, encouraged by growing demand for their fruit, established the Brown Estate label and began making their own wines.
Brown's flagship Napa Valley Zinfandel historically has borne the responsibility of being the ultimate representative of what their property and its unique microclimate have to offer — the cream of the Brown Estate zinfandel crop blended into one stellar wine. Rich magenta hue in the glass. Nose opens with abundant floral notes of hibiscus, dried rose petals, and violet followed by fruit notes of black plum, blackberry, and dried orange peels. Nose finishes with fresh cut wood/sawdust, fir balsam, and a hint of tangy soy/umami. Medium-plus palate layered with bramble fruit up front, leading into dried herbs, exotic spices, and dusty earth. Long finish with well-balanced acid and tannins. Drink now through 2028.
- Item #: i_206430Bottle Size: 750mlSituated in the mountains above Conn Valley and near the base of Howell Mountain, the Buehler Estate vineyards are planted primarily to Cabernet Sauvignon. The juxtaposed topography of steeply sloped hillsides with eastern exposures against very gently sloping hills with southern and southwestern exposures hints at the tumultuous geologic past of the Estate; extensive faulting resulted in at least three distinct soil types. Not surprisingly, grapes grown on the different soils give different characteristics to the finished wines; these differences are often as great as the differences across various Bordeaux varieties and allow Buehler to blend within the variety of Cabernet Sauvignon to craft a truly multi-faceted Estate wine.
The aromas hint at black fruit: ripe black cherries and black plums. Enticing barrel qualities of cola and spice complement the fruit aromas. On the palate, the wine shows layers of deeply extracted flavors that only mature hillside vineyards can render. Buehler's Estate Cabernet is the most age-worthy wine they produce and may be enjoyed anytime over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_206480Bottle Size: 750ML
The grapes are a mix of those off their estate vineyards and grapes from other select Napa Valley low-yielding vineyards. Dry-farmed for over 20 years, their 4.5 acre estate block consists of mature thirty-seven year old vines which typically yield around 2.5 tons/acre of hillside fruit. Interspersed among the head-trained vines are a handful of Petite Sirah vines representing perhaps 5% of the total vines in this block. A traditional field companion to Zinfandel in pre-prohibition California vineyards, Petite Sirah contributes pepper, color, and tannin structure to the wine.
- Item #: i_203120Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Blended of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petit Verdot matured for 22 months in French oak, 90% new, this vintage has an alcohol level of 14.9%. Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve Georges de Latour is still incredibly youthful. Sporting notions of cedar and cinnamon toast to begin, the nose opens out to beautiful notes of warm cassis, crushed red and black plums and kirsch with floral hints of roses and candied violets. Sparks of crushed rocks and cast iron pan plus a touch of dried herbs emerge with coaxing. Full-bodied, rich, bold and energetic in the mouth, the palate reveals a very firm backbone of ripe, grainy tannins and seamless freshness, finishing very long with beautiful mineral accents. To be released in autumn 2019, 8,400 cases were made."
- Item #: i_208030Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 96JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Coming from estate fruit on Howell Mountain and made from 88% Cabernet Sauvignon and 4% each of Malbec, Petit Verdot, and Merlot, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate offers a darker, more mineral-driven style compared to the Napa release. It has beautiful blackcurrant, cassis, forest floor, graphite, and tobacco leaf-like aromas and flavors. Deep, full-bodied, beautifully polished and elegant, it's another remarkable effort from this team. As Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon goes, it's a brilliant value!"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Cade Estate Cabernet Sauvignon, blended with 4% Malbec, 4% Petit Verdot and 4% Merlot, is deep garnet-purple colored and a little closed, slowly giving up warm cassis, blackberry tart and mulberries with touches of spice box, pencil shavings and Marmite toast. The full-bodied palate is firm, grainy and muscular with an earthy expression and just enough freshness, finishing on a lingering mineral note."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a dense, chewy Howell Mountain wine. A blast of black cherry, plum, licorice, smoke, leather, bittersweet chocolate, spice and tobacco hit the palate. The 2017 is bold and immediate in feel, but it also has plenty of structure. I would give it a few years to soften but this is a potent, brooding wine with a bright future."
- Item #: i_208170Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "Based on 94% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Malbec and Petit Verdot, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve is a stunning 2017 that plays with the crème de la crème of the vintage. Stunning cassis and blueberry fruit notes are interwoven with notions of white chocolate, unsmoked tobacco, forest floor, and lead pencil shavings. These all carry to the palate, where this beauty is full-bodied, deep, and concentrated, with the straight, focused style of the vineyard paired with beautiful depth and sweetness of fruit. This classic, sexy tour de force in 2017 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon has everything in the right places, no hard edges, and a great finish. Drink it any time over the coming 30 years or more."
- Item #: i_208040Bottle Size: 750MLCADE is owned by the same owners as Plumpjack... and in their typical fashion, they would never be "happy enough" to make a "good" Sauvignon Blanc: CADE only wants to make outstanding Sauvignon Blanc! In order to do this, they ferment their grapes in a combination of stainless steel tanks, stainless steel drums, French oak and concrete eggs. In addition, a combination of native and cultured yeasts are used, and the culmination of all this helps to give the wine aromatic and textural complexity.
Fermentation was carried out in a combination of stainless steel tanks and drums (68%), new French oak barrels (10%), neutral French Oak barrels (22%), with the balance fermented in concrete eggs (1%). Twelve different strains of yeast were used to ferment the juice. CADE's 2019 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc has aromas of orange blossom, pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, lime, yellow apple, and stone fruits. On the palate are notes of tangerine, white peach, lychee, citrus, banana, lemon zest, and grapefruit. The wine has a vibrant acidity, minerality, and a touch of creaminess on the finish. By fermenting the wine in stainless steel, French oak, and concrete, we are building layers of complexity in the wine. The barrel fermentations add texture, density, and viscosity to the midpalate of the wine. The concrete adds a touch of flint and minerality to the finish as well as adding some mid-palate richness. The stainless steel fermentations preserve the natural Sauvignon Blanc aromatics and the vibrant acidity and crispness.
- Item #: i_207140Bottle Size: 750mlThe Cain 2012 Concept is a blend of 73% Cabernet Sauvignon, 16% Merlot, 7% Petit Verdot, and 4% Cabernet Franc from such prestigious vineyards as Beckstoffer George III, Hudson, and Stagecoach. This wine displays the aromatic complexity, smooth entry, balanced mouthfeel and graceful finish, which are the signatures of the Cain style. One of the best Napa vintages of recent history, the 2012 expresses all the warm, generous fruitiness which Cabernet Sauvignon can offer when grown in the best sites of the Napa Valley. It is simply bursting with fragrant aromas of fruit, flowers, tobacco and spice, all layered over a zesty, juicy structure that promises many years to come.
- Item #: i_207100Bottle Size: 750MLIf you have enjoyed the prior "vintages" of Cain Cuvee, you will love the NV15. Those of you who have followed Cain Cuvee know that it is not your typical Napa red wine; no big, inky, oaky blockbuster here. Cain Cuvee is intended to sit lightly, refreshingly (dare we say, lovingly?) on your palate. There is all the fruit that you could want, but the Cain Cuvee is not fruit juice. It is, most assuredly, fine wine for serious wine-lovers who value complexity, balance and finish. The Cain Cuvee is for those who know that wine doesnet have to be big to be good.
- Item #: i_207220Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 28 Merlot, 11% Cabernet Franc, 5% Petit Verdot, and 1% Malbec, the potential of this wine is just beginning to show. The color is relatively dark—not opaque—with no sign of evolution. The aromas are discrete: fruity-floral— herbal—spicy—and pure. On the palate, the wine has a certain density, but now the tannins have melted and this wine just flows. This is a wine for the ages.
- Item #: i_207600Bottle Size: 750mlChardonnay grapes grown in the bottom half of the valley tend to produce rich, ripe, elegantly structured wines that are delicious on release, but also age well in the bottle; this gem is no exception! And while 75% is fermented in French oak, only 11% goes through malolactic fermentation in order to produce a full-bodied wine that's food friendly. The nose offers vivid, creamy aromas of green and golden apple, pear and citrus with supporting scents of beeswax and mineral. Full-bodied and vibrant on the palate, with bright, intense, apple, citrus and melon flavors, Cakebread's 2018 Napa Valley Chardonnay is remarkably persistent on the palate, culminating in a long finish showcasing pleasing spice, yeast and mineral tones. Released soon after bottling, it will hit its stride after 6-8 months and reward 5-7 years' aging.
- Item #: i_207440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95+ POINTS - "One of the flagship releases, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Benchland Select is all Cabernet Sauvignon that spent 22 months in 60% new French oak. Deep purple-hued with a classic Cabernet nose of blackcurrants, cassis, graphite, cedary spice, and chocolate, this puppy hits the palate with full-bodied richness, an elegant, seamless texture, a chalky minerality, and a great finish. It's a smoking good Cabernet Sauvignon that will improve with 2-5 years of bottle age and cruise for two decades or more. This 2017 matches what this estate achieved in 2016 and 2015."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Bottled only three weeks ago, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Benchland Select is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, with 44% of the fruit coming from Vine Hill Ranch, 52% from Hill Ranch and 4% from Cakebread Oakville Ranch. It was aged 22 months in 60% new French oak. Very deep purple-black colored, it slowly emerges from the glass to reveal notions of baked black cherries, stewed black plums and warm cassis with touches of aged meat, dark chocolate, bay leaves and pencil shavings. Medium to full-bodied, the palate packs in the black fruits, supported by bags of freshness and a firm, grainy texture, finishing long and with tons of energy."
- Item #: i_207520Bottle Size: 750MLCakebread's classic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon reveals aromas of ripe blackberry and boysenberry with hints of dark chocolate and sweet oak. On the palate, the dark fruit is balanced by fresh acidity and lush tannins that carry all the way over a lingering, elegant finish—with just a kiss of minerality. Enjoy this wine now, with everything from lamb burgers to filet mignon and fire-roasted portabello mushrooms—or lay the wine down and watch it continue to develop complexity in the bottle for years to come.
- Item #: i_206980Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96+Vinous Media: 96ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96+ POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2015 Cardinale Cabernet Sauvignon (containing 10% Merlot) gives beautiful red, black and blue fruit notes with touches of dried herbs, spice cake and unsmoked cigars, plus a waft of cedar. Medium to full-bodied, it has a firm structure with plenty of gregarious mid-palate fruit, finishing with a lingering herbal lift. This seductive blockbuster is temptingly drinkable now and it should age gracefully over 15-20 years. 2,579 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2015 Cardinale is dark, sensual and totally beguiling. Voluptuous fruit and soft, racy contours make a strong opening statement. The dark cherry, mocha, smoke, plum, spice and new leather flavors are all amped up in a seamless, alluring Cardinale that is going to be nearly impossible to resist in its youth. There is so much to like here."
- Item #: i_206890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "A resounding success for the year, the 2017 Cardinale is truly impressive. It is also one of the most refined young wines I have tasted here. In most vintages, Cardinale is predominantly made from mountain sites, but the 2017 is roughly equal parts mountain and valley floor fruit. Inky blue/purplish fruit, white flowers, lavender and mint all build in the glass. Lifted and beautifully perfumed, the 2017 is exceptionally polished."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "A blend of 96% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Merlot from throughout the valley that was brought up in 80% new French oak, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon is dominated by its Stags Leap fruit (which is 30% of the blend) and has the classic elegance and spicy character of that district as well as great red and blue fruits, a seamless, building mid-palate, ripe yet present tannins, and ample tobacco, earth, and spice aromas and flavors. It's plush and textured on the palate yet has the structure to evolve for two decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "There was no Wallis vineyard fruit used this vintage. Very deep purple-black colored, the 2017 Cardinale charges out of the glass with notes of fresh blackcurrants, blackberries and Black Forest cake plus hints of menthol, cardamom, baking spices and lilacs plus a waft of cigar box. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is built like a brick house with firm, grainy, ripe tannins and fantastic freshness supporting the taut, muscular black fruits, finishing long and mineral laced. 1,440 cases produced."
- Item #: i_208820Bottle Size: 750mlMade by highly-touted winemaker Julien Fayard, the grapes for thie Sauvignon Blanc come from a certified organic vineyard in the heart of the Napa Valley, and only 77 cases were produced! In the glass you'll notice its straw color with a golden tinge on the rim. The nose offers an instant waft of tropical fruit with Meyer lemon's perfume. Delicate floral aromas remind you of Spring time in the garden. On the palate the wine is expressive with a rich silkiness, a pure pleasure. A subtle spice from the small time of oak aging adds just the right mouth feel to this estate wine.
- Item #: i_208730Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+Jeb Dunnuck: 94During his annual winter trip to the Napa Valley, our domestic buyer was tasting wines atop Howell Mountain. If you know anything about the layout of the Napa Valley, Howell Mountain is an area where many of the best wines are made, including Lail, O'Shaughnessy, Lokoya, La Jota, Arkenstone, Dunn, Cimarossa...you get the point. But to make another point, there was a new label showing their wine. Now, this happens every year, but this wine...stood out. Proprietors Dave and Kathleen Decesaris have a pretty long history in the wine industry. We's like to think that they "honed in" their Napa Valley know-how while shopping at our store, but it's really all Kathleen's background. See, she was a wine educator at Freemark Abbey in the 1990's, which gave her easy access to the regions very best growers, vintners, and winemakers. As for Dave, during an impromptu day trip to Napa Valley, Dave followed the advice he came across in a randomly purchased guidebook and visited Freemark Abbey Winery. It was there that he met his soon to be wife and partner, Kathleen, who introduced him to the basics of viticulture and the concept of vineyard-designated wines. This introduction to the importance of site and mesoclimate ignited his passion to produce single vineyard, single varietal Napa Valley cabernets.
Their Howell Mountain vineyard, surrounding forest and rugged mountain scenery is reminiscentof the continuous interaction between the unique natural elements of the site and the vines. Rocky soils combined with warm days and cool night privide an ideal microclimate for Cabernet Sauvignon. Sustainably farmed by highly acclaimed viticulturist Jim Barbour (who has also farmed the properties at Hundred Acre, Kelly Fleming, and Au Sommet), the rocky, volcanic soils, excellent drainage and long growing season of this west facing Howell Montain AVA site combine to produce complex fruit featuring ripe yet age-worthy tannins, crisp acidity and alluring mountain cabernet flavors.
Celia Welch is one of North America's most significant winemakers and believes wine should speak to the unique qualities and characteristics of the vineyard. Her exceptionally talented hand has crafted some of the most notable Cabernet Sauvignons to come out of the Napa Valley, including Scarecrow, Staglin, Lindstrom, and her own Corra label
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "This is my first time tasting this new project high up on Howell Mountain with winemaker Celia Welch and WOW—what an impressive start! I asked Celia how she managed to produce a wine of such crunchiness, freshness and purity in 2017. 'It probably barely got above 90 degrees during the Labor Day heat wave up there,' she said with a smile. The longer, cooler growing season certainly shows in the finesse of these beauties. A vineyard to watch!"
"Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon has a slightly broody nose to begin, offering glimpses at damp earth, charcoal and underbrush scents over a core of warm cassis, blackberry pie and black raspberries with touches of pencil lead and dried Provence herbs. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has bold freshness and a myriad of earthy sparks, framed by ripe grainy tannins, finishing long with tons of bright, crunchy black fruit. 250 cases were made."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Showing similar to last year, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Howell Mountain is a terrific wine offering full-bodied aromas and flavors of crème de cassis, tobacco leaf, incense, and gravelly minerality. Pure, balanced, and elegant, it's a terrific wine that will keep for two decades."
- Item #: i_277464Bottle Size: 750mlSo Cavus, The Cave is a personal tribute to friends, good fortune and life. Darryl and two friends were skiing in Argentina when they took a wrong turn and found themselves on the backside of the mountain with no way out. They built "a cave" and the three friends settled in for the night not knowing what the future would bring. As good fortune would have it they were rescued 24 hours later, tired, thankful and full of joy. The experience reinforced their philosophy on drinking good wine: why wait for a "special occasion"? Celebrate life each day and always drink good wine.