- Item #: i_274612Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Wine Spectator: 90WINERY NOTES - The 2014 sparkling wine vintage in the Willamette Valley was pristine, showcasing the enticing generosity and focused definition the region has to offer. The Pinot Noir dominated blend provides impressive red-fruited dimension to the ripe pear, fig and roast hazelnut. The middle palate is invigorated with dynamic acid backbone and edgy minerality, bringing balance and concentration to the long finish. "
- Item #: i_215520Bottle Size: 750mlStructured and full-bodied with a subtle hint of spice. On the palate, dense, dark fruit characteristics are reminiscent of blueberry pie. Notes of toasted oak and vanilla meld with a plush, lingering mouthfeel.
- Item #: i_202610Bottle Size: 750mlThe Russian River Valley is recognized as one of the world's most ideal regions for growing Pinot Noir. Just a few miles from the Pacific ocean, the Russian River Valley benefits from natural air conditioning in the form of cool and often foggy air that arrives in the evening, then retreats the following morning. The result is a longer growing season which allows Pinot Noir to develop full flavors while retaining its natural acidity. The unique soils of the region also contribute exponentially to the quality of the wine grapes grown in them. Over millions of years water flowing off the mountains has carried with it eroded volcanic deposits and ancient, uplifted bedrock, while the Russian River has deposited large amounts of alluvial material to form prime benchlands.
This wine has a ruby-red color with sparkling garnet highlights, followed by aromatics of wild blackberry, Santa Rosa plum and strawberry with hints of oregano, sage and white pepper. Ripe on the palate with raspberry, boysenberry, black-fruit jam and warming spices, this finishes with moderate acidity and velvety tannins.
- Item #: i_207350Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Vinous Media: 94Winery's Tasting Notes: "Dark to very dark ruby-garnet. Much deeper in color than many other Zinfandels in this vintage. An intense nose of blood orange, raspberry (zinberry!), and licorice allsorts. Very expressive and very striking. Totally seamless and polished on the palate with flavors of orange rind and red berry fruit. This is an incredibly nuanced and texturally alluring Zinfandel that is more expressive and approachable than the 2014 rendition. Drink from release to 2024."
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "A gorgeous wine, the 2015 Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard is bright and punchy, with plenty of red cherry, raspberry and floral notes pushed forward. Silky and racy in the glass, this mid-weight Zinfandel is impeccable. The Carlisle is super-finessed in 2015. As usual, the Carlisle is predominantly Zinfandel, with about 12% mixed white and black grapes (a total of 40 varieties), all co-fermented."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Supple and refined, with floral blueberry, mint and clove aromas and layered black raspberry and savory pepper flavors that take on complexity on the finish. Drink now through 2027. 788 cases made."
- Item #: i_207270Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Vinous Media: 92Planted in 1934 shortly after the repeal of Prohibition by Celestino Papera, this vineyard is a bit of an anomaly in that it contains much less in the way of mixed blacks than we typically see in vineyards of this era. And interestingly, the majority of the mixed blacks that are present is Carignane. Carignane is a late ripener and high in acidity making it a curious choice for this very cool site. Nevertheless, it seems to work, producing a powerfully elegant Zinfandel. Twenty percent new French oak. Filtered but unfined.
Very dark ruby-garnet, almost opaque. Head-turning aromas of framboise and kirsch are complemented by notes of fresh tobacco leaf, spun sugar, and spearmint leaves. What a sniff! On the palate, fullbodied but my-oh-my, so seamless, so well-balanced. Flavors of red currant, macerated cherries, and a hint of pleasing herbaceousness build through the long, smooth finish. Truly one of our top Papera Zinfandels to date. Enjoy from release through 2024.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "A compelling wine, with expressive blackberry and briary underbrush aromas and refined yet evocative cherry, smoky mint and pepper aromas that linger toward plump tannins. Best from 2019 through 2027."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2015 Zinfandel Papera Ranch offers a good initial burst of dark cherry and plum fruit, but then has a bit less persistence follow-through on the mid-palate and finish. Succulent and forward, the 2015 looks like it will drink well upon release. This is not an especially subtle style."
- Item #: i_207380Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Under the expert farming of organic specialist Phil Coturri, Rossi Ranch has quickly returned to its former glory. Lots to be excited about here, as the fruit comes from vines planted in 1910! Medium-dark ruby-garnet. With aeration and swirling, aromas of kirsch liqueur and briery spice emerge from the glass. On the palate, tightly coiled but at the same time very poised and polished with no rusticity. Red fruits are echoed in the energetic, mineral-laden finish. Exceptionally well-balanced, this wine will age well and develop further complexity. When to drink? Wait a couple of years and then enjoy from 2020 to 2026.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Features briary notes in spades, plus vibrant black raspberry, cracked pepper and anise flavors. Best from 2019 through 2027."
- Item #: i_277760Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Dark and brooding, with black cherry and bittersweet chocolate aromas and plump flavors of orange zest, black licorice and smoky cracked pepper. Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, Cabernet Sauvignon, Carignane and Viognier. Drink now through 2027."
- Item #: i_209690Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 93When the Wagner family started Caymus Vineyards 45 years ago, their little town of Rutherford - the center point of the Napa Valley - was a very different place than it is today. People were just beginning to plant grapes instead of more traditional crops like prunes, walnuts and grains. The Valley had no famed restaurants luring people to visit, and traffic on the roads was light. Everyone seemed to know everyone else. With all its natural gifts - from its climate to its farm land to its quiet beauty - "Napa" was still largely undiscovered and felt full of possibility.
That same look and feel back in 1972 exists today in a place that is only a 40-minute drive from Rutherford. Suisun (su-soon) Valley lies to the southeast, separated from its more famous neighbor only by a county line. It, too, has a maritime climate, with warm days and cool nights, due to its proximity to the San Francisco and San Pablo Bays. About one and a half times the size of the Rutherford AVA, the Suisun AVA has rich soils and historically is known for growing stone fruit. The domain is also ideally suited to growing certain varieties of grapes. The Wagner Family searched high and low for vineyards growing grapes on a level worthy of bearing the Caymus name.
The Wagner family began an in-depth search of "the Suisun" in early 2014 and identified a few top-quality Durif vineyards in the hidden corners of this small picturesque place (Durif is synonymous with Petite Sirah). As they set their sights on producing a Caymus-style wine from one of the world's heavyweight varieties, they made a promise to themselves that the new wine bearing the Caymus name would have to be great - or, it would not be bottled. We are pleased to announce that this wine has made the grade!
Caymus-Suisun Grand Durif features a deep, majestic purple, with a nose of blueberries, wet earth and saddle leather. The initial impression on the palate is broad, smooth and weight, then springs into gear with rich and harmonious tannins. The key notes of this wine are the lush textural tannins that push the limits on arrogance yet also display friendly supple qualities. It's truly difficult to explain its singular style - firm structure yet super-abundant fine textural softness. Oak plays a significant roll in providing a vanilla character. This wine can be enjoyed now, though it is still quite a baby.
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Dark and plush, this combines structure with polish, offering notes of ripe blackberry, dark chocolate, grilled herb and toasty spice that linger toward refined tannins. Drink now through 2025."
- Item #: i_210160Bottle Size: 750MLWINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Estate is scented of ripe Bosc pears, fresh apple slices and nutmeg with hints of peach kernels, lightly browned toast and struck flint. Medium to full-bodied, the palate offers plenty of apple and pear goodness, with a satiny texture and lively line, finishing creamy."
- Item #: i_215550Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Extracted and supple, offering ripe currant, loamy earth, green olive, savory herb and cedary oak flavors that fall comfortably into place. Ends with a long, graceful finish. Best from 2018 through 2030."
ROBERT PARKER 91 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon, which has 8% Petit Verdot added, has a dense ruby/purple color, beautiful blackcurrant fruit, plum, spice box and earth. It is medium to full-bodied, with supple tannins and seems classic and very much 2014 in style with its front-end-loaded fruit, lushness and irresistibility. This charming and complex wine should drink nicely for the next 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_216630Bottle Size: 750MLWinemaker's Notes: "This vintage presents enticing aromatics of dried cranberry and boysenberry with hints of cocoa powder, nutmeg, dried sage and cedar. On the palate, brambly flavors of blackberry and black cherry come forward with bright acidity complimented by deeper notes of dark chocolate, espresso and black pepper. The tannins are silky and smooth to lend a round, rich mouthfeel. From start to finish, this remarkable wine offers refreshing acidity paired with excellent structure and a round, rich mouthfeel."
- Item #: i_220610Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "Made in relatively good quantities, the 2017 Chardonnay Sonoma Coast is a beautiful, medium-bodied, charming effort that’s loaded with notions of apple blossom, honeysuckle, spice, and just a touch of minerality. It has terrific purity of fruit and is a gem of a wine to enjoy over the coming 4-6 years or so. It’s also a great introduction to the style of the estate. "
- Item #: i_225490Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Wine Spectator: 93For over four decades, Greg Gorman has continued to master the art of photography. From celebrity portraits and advertising campaigns to magazine layouts and fine art work, Greg has developed and showcased a discriminating and unique style in his profession. Greg's work documents that peculiar obsession of the 21st century celebrity. One day he received a call inquiring whether or not he might be interested in photographing a project with Dave Phinney of Orin Swift fame. Being a huge fan of Mercury Head, one of their extraordinary wines, Greg was anxious to meet the man behind the juice. He liked the concept for his new wine, Papillon, and from there the collaboration began. Greg and Dave completed the shoot photographing Vince Tofanelli's hands and than headed over to Dave's for dinner...you know that label!
The following year Greg approached Dave in regards to helping Greg make his own wine. Dave not only agreed but was very encouraging. Dave also really pushed Greg by bringing in all the samples blind and tasting through the different varietals until Greg had found the various components to make his blend. It certainly was trial and error coming up with what worked for Greg's palette-but what a learning experience!
The aromatics offer up a combination of cassis and black cherries. Upon first taste, flavors of ripe cherries last from the entry through the beginning of the mid-palate, where hints of mocha and espresso surface and are then blended with the violet and cedar like notes of the Cabernet Franc. All of these flavors are complemented by rolling flashes of tobacco and red licorice. Seamless transition to a bold and long lasting finish with bright natural acidity and well integrated tannins. This wine is drinking well now and will certainly age well in the cellars.
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "This blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Malbec from the Lewelling Vineyard in St. Helena was made by photographer Greg Gorman. This wine, aged 17 months in new French oak, is a beautiful, supple Cabernet Sauvignon, very much in keeping with this vintage's hallmark lushness. Offering silky tannins, low acidity and oodles of ripe blue and black fruits, it is layered, full-bodied, delicious and sexy. Drink it over the next 10-15 years."
WINE SPECTATOR 93 POINTS - "Shows ample fruit character on the palate, with a mix of blackberry, wild berry, pomegranate and raspberry. Ends with a lively aftertaste that keeps reverberating. Drink now through 2024."
- Item #: i_228340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Wine Spectator: 92ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "The 2006 Chardonnay (4,600+ cases) was 80% tank-fermented with no malolatic, and 33% spent 18 months in barrel. It possesses lovely white peach, pear, and crushed rock characteristics, full body, splendid acidity as well as purity, and a gracious integration of subtle oak. This beautiful white can be enjoyed over the next 5-6 years."
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Flinty, with a tight beam of mineral, white peach, nectarine, green apple and lime flavors that are concentrated, keeping the focus on the vibrant fruit. Drink now through 2014. 3,253 cases made."
- Item #: i_228810Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 92Hartford Family Winery began back in 1994 by Don and Jennifer Hartford. Since their inaugural release in 1996, Hartford has continued to produce wines with lots of personality and charisma. The single vineyard wines they produce range from as little as 90 to 800 cases and receive high accolades from the top wine critics. The Old Vine Zinfandel is produced from true old vines planted 80-100 years ago from some of California's oldest Zinfandel vineyards.
- Item #: i_237510Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92AVNI Chardonnay reflects the complex flavor profile of Eola-Amity Hills chardonnay combined with Chardonnay from 100% Jory soils in Salem's Bunker Hill, Dundee's Durand, and a Yamhill-Carlton site, with a contribution from Laubejac vineyard fruit near Monmouth, on the southwestern side of the region in Willakenzie and Dupee soils. The wine is silky, racy and complex, with a lasting finish of citrus, pear, white flowers and flinty mouthwatering minerality. The treatment of the fruit at harvest reflects the winemaking philosophy of Dominique Lafon.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Lithe and gracefully complex, with baked pear and lemon flavors, accented by spice and cinnamon notes. Builds richness on the finish. Drink now through 2021. 1,300 cases made. — TF"
- Item #: i_241981Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 93The partner to our Mirabelle Brut, the Mirabelle Brut Rose is a specially crafted blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from Schramsberg's select cool-climate vineyards in Carneros, Anderson Valley, and the Sonoma and Marin coastal areas of Northern California. Pinot Noir lots, including a few fermented with skin contact, provide brightness of berry fruit and body, while Chardonnay lots lend length and zest to the palate. Additional flavor depth and aromatic complexity results from the blending of base wine lots aged in barrels and tanks for one or more years. The finished Brut Rose exhibits fresh, elegant and toasty aromas that lead into lively and delicious fruit flavors on the palate.
- Item #: i_270590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94Nicolas-Jay is a Pinot Noir winery located in the heart of Oregon's Willamette Valley. Celebrated Burgundian winemaker, Jean-Nicolas Meo of Domaine Meo-Camuzet, and renowned music and media entrepreneur, Jay Boberg, lend their individual talents and shared dedication to the winery, where traditional French winemaking meets Oregonian terroir.
The fruit for this wine is sourced from several distinctive AVA's in the Willamette Valley, ensuring optimal blending potential and representation of the diversity of Pinot Noir in the appellation. Unique sites include vineyards located in the high-elevation Eola-Amity Hills, the foothills of the cool coastal range in the McMinnville AVA, the warm red-soiled vineyards of the Dundee Hills and their expressive Bishop Creek Vineyard in the Yamhill-Carlton AVA. This wine is sourced almost exclusively from biodynamic, organic and LIVE certified vineyards.
WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Precise, deeply structured yet graceful, with expressive black cherry, river stone and black tea accents that build richness toward refined tannins. Drink now through 2024. 3,000 cases made."
- Item #: i_247230Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 91The Russian River Valley Zinfandel is a reflection of the quality of the vineyards involved in making this wine. This Zin comes almost exclusively from the Jensen Lane Vineyard (planted in 1915), the Limerick Lane Vineyard (planted in 1910), and the Carlisle Vineyard (planted in 1927). These older vine vineyards give us great fruit quality and concentration, while their Russian River Valley location helps provide good, crisp acidity making for a Zinfandel that is lively and extremely well-balanced.
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS - "Vibrant and jammed with fresh pepper and black licorice aromas, leading to zesty, well-built blackberry pie and cinnamon flavors. Drink now through 2025. 1,686 cases made."
- Item #: i_252110Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 90James Suckling: 91JAMES SUCKLING 91 POINTS - "A zesty and fresh style with lemon and grapefruit character. Medium body, bright acidity and a clean finish. Some phenolic tension to this."
WINE SPECTATOR 90 POINTS - "Lemon, peach and pear flavors are fresh and vibrant on a supple body, with spice, green tea and dried floral accents to the expressive finish."
- Item #: i_255390Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Sleek and rich, with floral strawberry and sugar cookie aromas and elegant, layered citrus, tart cherry and mineral flavors that linger toward a vibrant, lightly spicy finish."
WINE & SPIRITS 91 POINTS - "There's lovely precision to the light strawberry notes in this wine, a clean parallel to its pale pink color. The finish is spicy and gentle, with a creamy undercurrent that lingers on fruit. Chill it for prawns."
WINE ENTHUSIAST 90 POINTS "From the yeasty, strawberry-tinged aroma to the brisk, doughy mouthfeel through to the honeyed, complex finish, this is a fine wine. It feels beautiful, clean and stimulating, just as a sparkling wine should. Editors' Choice"
- Item #: i_255410Bottle Size: 750MLWine Spectator: 91#25 ON WINE SPECTATOR TOP 100 WINES OF 2017
WINE SPECTATOR 91 POINTS 'SMART BUY' - "Sleek and charming, with yeasty apple torte and floral cherry aromas leading to rich, crisp flavors of lemon curd, spicy vanilla and fresh ginger. Drink now."
- Item #: i_255200Bottle Size: 750mlThe fruit for this wine comes from vineyards in the Carneros region owned by the Rombauer family and select growers including the Sangiacomo family, long-term grower partners who have farmed this land for three generations. The grapes were gently whole-cluster pressed while the fruit was still cool. The juice was pumped to tank to cold-settle overnight before it was racked to barrel for primary and malolactic fermentation. The lees were stirred every two weeks to give the wine rich flavors and a creamy texture.
Enticing aromas of vanilla, peach and mango are layered with apricots, creme brulee, butter and a slight minerality. Those scents are echoed as flavors on the creamy, rich palate, along with peach, pie crust and baking spices. The long, smooth finish is marked by mouthwatering acidity.