- Item #: i_210410Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Signature is a blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot and 5% Malbec. It was harvested from September 18 to October 30, and the alcohol weighed in at 14.5%. Deep garnet-purple in color, exuberant notes of warm plums, ripe black and red currants and black cherries come bounding out of the glass with suggestions of cedar chest, unsmoked cigars and beef drippings. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is simply singing with juicy black fruits and velvety tannins, finishing long with some baking spice hints coming through. Open for business now, this wine can easily be cellared for 20 years or more."
- Item #: i_219670Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94When the 2018 rendition of this wine landed, we just had to crack open a bottle, and once we did, we knew immediately that this would be featured on our top wine list! Faust is owned by the Huneeus family, who also owns Quintessa, Flowers, and Leviathan. Faust was originally designed to be the second label for Quintessa’s Rutherford property, but the Huneeus family eventually found exquisite property in the Coombsville area east of Napa proper, and now it is that vineyard in Coombsville that makes up the majority of the wine.
Both the newest in Napa Valley and the furthest south, Coombsville benefits from ancient volcanic soils, marine breezes coming off the nearby San Pablo Bay, as well as a long and cool growing season due to its location in the valley. Besides being the latest-to-ripen vines in Napa, the soil profiles are very different given it’s closer to the Vaca Mountain range, so there is a lot of eroded volcanic soil, which means, lots of minerals in the soil. In Coombsville, you get more intense color, a blue-black fruit profile, a brighter acidity and minerality in the wines, and the wines are VERY unique.
Earning 94 points from James Suckling, this shows the high quality of the 2018 vintage from Napa. Medium to deep ruby in color, the wine struts its stuff with a bit of aeration to display aromas of toasted oak, cinnamon, dark chocolate, blackcurrants, and plums. On the palate, the firm tannins give way to the intense, rich fruit, driven by flavors of cassis, black cherries, blueberry, wild blackberry, and a hint of pencil shavings. Full-bodied, and with a finish that lasts for half a minute, this may be the best rendition of Faust we have ever encountered!
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Very attractive aromas of blackcurrants, black olives and dark leather with some cedar. It's full-bodied with firm, silky tannins and a refined, polished finish. Shows finesse and focus. Grows on the palate. Really delicious now, but will improve with age. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_250780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "Composed of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 1% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon reveals vivacious notions of crushed black currants, red currant jelly, fresh blackberries and Morello cherries with touches of garrigue, bay leaves, damp soil and cedar chest. Medium-bodied, the palate is wonderfully elegant and charged with energy, featured loads of crunchy black and red fruit plus a refreshing backbone, finishing on an appealing chewy note."
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley is similarly colored and has terrific notes of creme de cassis, ground herbs, earth, and tobacco. It's fresh, medium-bodied, has good concentration, beautiful balance, and fine tannins."
- Item #: i_235900Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "A barrel sample, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon features a deep garnet-purple, singing on the nose of freshly crushed black cherries, black berry pie and warm plums over a core of cassis and pencil lead plus nuances of violets, cinnamon stick and underbrush. Medium to full-bodied, the palate delivers mouth-coating, crunchy black fruit with a firm backbone of ripe, grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and spicy."
- Item #: i_237150Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsLail's Blueprint wines are made as a modern interpretation of the most classical Bordeaux varieties, attempting and succeeding in capturing the ever-shining sunlight of the Napa Valley to transform it into robustly flavorful wines that drink beautifully upon release. The term 'crowd pleaser' comes to mind! "Blueprint" is named after Jon Lail's highly regarded architectural design achievements. The Cabernet Sauvignon is predominately Cabernet Sauvignon with additions of Merlot and Petit Verdot. The grapes hail from properties all throughout the Napa Valley AVA. The wine is aged for roughly 18 months in French oak, of which 55% is new.
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "As with the whites, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Blueprint is a larger production release that sports a dense purple color as well as classic Cabernet notes of blue and black fruits, green tobacco, graphite, and spring flowers. With a more fruit-forward style, it's still rich, medium to full-bodied, has classy tannins, and is a seriously good bottle of wine."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Blueprint is fabulous. Inky dark fruit, chocolate, new leather, spice, lavender and menthol fill out the layers beautifully. In the glass, the 2018 is rich and generous, yet it also possesses terrific freshness and plenty of verve. It is a superb wine in its price range, or any price range, for that matter."
- Item #: i_248780Bottle Size: 750mlLet's be honest, when you have such notables as Randy Dunn, Helen Turley, Erin Green, and Michel Rolland having worked for a winery, you know great things are afoot! Jayson Pahlmeyer and his crew have worked hard for 30 years to produce the best Cabernets, Merlots, Pinot Noirs, and Chardonnays they possibly could, and they have succeeded year after year! The Pahlmeyer wines are highly sought after, receive lofty scores, and are coveted by consumers and collectors alike.
This year, it is their Napa Valley Chardonnay garnering the spotlight! Coming from Pahlmeyer's estate high on Atlas Peak, the vineyard ranges in elevation from 1,500 to 2,100 feet. The vineyard was planted by Davis Abreu, whose skilled hand has also worked with Screaming Eagle, Staglin, and Harlan. This site is rocky and desolate, with low vigor and good drainage; perfect for grapes!
- Item #: i_259955Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90-92Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsThis is the latest release for an exciting Bordeaux-style blend from Shafer Vineyards; one of the most prized wineries in all of the Napa Valley! TD-9 is a proprietary blend that celebrates a bold move. In 1973, in the space of a few months, John Shafer went from riding morning commuter trains in Chicago to teaching himself to drive a TD-9 tractor in his Napa Valley vineyard. He'd never grown grapes or made wine in his life. That spirit of risk-taking and adventure still guides Shafer today and inspired the creation of this new wine.
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2018 TD-9 Proprietary Red Blend is based on 56% Merlot, 23% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the rest Malbec. It's another balanced, charming, and impeccably made wine from this estate that has lively red and blue fruits, scorched earth, graphite, and licorice aromas and flavors as well as a medium to full-bodied, elegant style on the palate. It shows the more streamlined, focused style of the 2018 vintage and is going to evolve for 10-12 years."
ANTONIO GALLONI 90-92 POINTS - "Tasted from barrel, 2018 TD-9 is a pliant, creamy and beautifully textured wine done in the classic Shafer style. Sweet red cherry, red plum, cedar and sweet spice all meld together in this super-expressive, radiant wine. In 2018, the blend is 58% Merlot, 22% Cabernet Sauvignon and 20% Malbec."