- Item #: i_202670Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90 POINTS - "(aged in a 50/50 combination of French and American oak, 35 percent of it new) Inky ruby. Ripe cherry, dark berries and a hint of vanilla on the perfumed nose. Sweet, seamless dark fruit, mocha and spicecake flavors put on weight and gain energy with air. Rich yet lively; a peppery element adds cut to the long, focused finish, and fine-grained tannins add grip."
- Item #: i_214800Bottle Size: 750mlFamily owned and operated, DAOU is committed to producing collectible, world-class wines to rival the most respected appellations in the world. Situated on a 212-acre hilltop estate in the Adelaida District of Paso Robles, their remarkable geology, favorable microclimate, and high elevation were once described by renowned California winemaker Andre Tchelistcheff as "a jewel of ecological elements." As stewards of this beautiful terroir, DAOU's goal is to make unique fine wines that honestly and accurately reflect the potential of the estate and to craft wines that combine Old World tradition with New World techniques.
The 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon has a rich and compelling nose of blackberry, cassis, smoky leather and dried herbs is enhanced with layers of plum and cherry, cocoa and sandalwood. Notes of pencil lead and crushed rock mingle with subtle nuances of sage and menthol. Bold and full bodied, this wine is structured firmly around a solid core of boysenberry and cherry fruit. Supple, ripe tannins provide ample backbone for the layers of boysenberry, black cherry, licorice and dried herb flavors. Fleshy and weighty on the palate while retaining balance and finesse, it finishes long and clean with lingering notes of plum and blackberry.
- Item #: i_277540Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "...the 2018 Optimus reveals a deep purple color as well as beautiful notes of creme de cassis, black licorice, tobacco, chocolate, and a rocky, earthy minerality. It's rich and medium to full-bodied, with beautiful purity and silky tannins. This is a terrific introduction into the wines of l'Aventure and will drink well for over a decade."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "Saturated ruby. Sharply focused aromas of cherry and dark berries, exotic spices, vanilla and incense; a smoky mineral top-note builds in the glass. Sappy, sweet and energetic on the palate, showing strong lift and powerful thrust to the spice-tinged cassis, cherry and floral pastille flavors. At once rich and lively, displaying fine definition on an impressively long, gently tannic finish that leaves a suave floral note behind."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "A blend of 56% Syrah, 32% Cabernet Sauvignon and 12% Petit Verdot aged in 60% new French oak, the 2018 Optimus is the 20th edition of the cuvee and contains a touch less Petit Verdot than usual. It has a deep ruby-purple color and opens perfumed with crushed red and black cherries, dried violet, salumi and bay leaves with bright touches of blood orange peel. The medium to full-bodied palate is layered and surprisingly light on its feet, with a finely defined tannic grain and good freshness, finishing long. 2,200 cases produced."
- Item #: i_268300Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 90-92Every so often, you'll peruse our newsletter and see that we ask why more people are doing things like Winery "A". Well…this is one of those times! While the noteworthy wines from Tablas Creek are nothing new (but they are still exciting), their Patelin bottlings are new. This blend of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, and Counoise comes from their Westside Paso neighbors who have planted vineyards using Tablas clones.
In theory, this Patelin red should be tight, young, and tart…but on the contrary, this wine is rich, concentrated and immensely delicious. In fact, our buyer wouldn't spit this wine out! Deep ruby/garnet in color, the nose is loaded with Asian spices, raspberry, black cherry, and orange marmalade while the palate follows suit and adds hints of grilled meats, graphite, and cocoa. Rich, flavorful, and with silky tannins, this is a great value in wine, and one that just may make you ask yourself why you haven't tried these wines before!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90-92 POINTS - "Vivid ruby-red. Intense, spice- and mineral-tinged red fruit preserve and floral scents show impressive focus and pick up a pungent floral topnote with air. Sweet and seamless on the palate, offering fresh raspberry, cherry and cassis flavors sharpened by a peppery nuance. Smooth tannins lend shape to a long, lively finish that strongly echoes the red fruit and spice notes."
- Item #: i_275640Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 93-94Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsTablas Creek was founded by the Perrin family of Château de Beaucastel and their importer, Robert Haas. The goal was to produce California's best examples of southern Rhône varietals and Chateauneuf-du-Pape style blends. The partners chose a 120-acre property in the hills of westside Paso Robles for its similarities to Chateauneuf-du-Pape: limestone soils, favorable climate, and rugged terrain. Tablas Creek emphasizes dry farming (no watering) to seek maximum expression from their grapes, and they farm organically. Their signature white is named Esprit de Tablas, and is modeled after the Beaucastel wines from the Rhone Valley.