- Item #: i_241510Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 92Do you want to get a real glimpse into the characteristics and style of the 2009 vintage in Washington, then you don't need to look any further. Delille has been somewhat under the radar, but if the quality in this Merlot blend doesn't open your eyes, we don't know what will! "D2" is the main highway that runs through Bordeaux, so being that this is a Merlot-based blend (just like the right bank of Bordeaux), the name is apt. This year, the wine is a blend of 58% Merlot, 36% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc, and 1% Petit Verdot.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "Very few Washington wineries can match DeLille for the way their wines combine sheer fruit intensity and structure. The current releases are wonderfully pliant and accessible, even if the best of them will last splendidly."
"(this Columbia Valley blend of nearly 20 sources represents 35% of this winery's production; 11,500 cases were made in 2014): Bright ruby. Pungent fruit-driven aromas of cranberry, pomegranate and blackberry. Plush and seamless on the palate, with blackberry and blueberry flavors complicated by a savory dried-berry note that I associate with Red Willow vineyard. Wonderfully pliant from the start, this beauty finishes very long and suave, with utterly smooth tannins. Great fruit here!"
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The ruby-colored 2014 D2 Proprietary Red Wine is the entry-level Bordeaux blend of the estate and is named after the D2 highway in Bordeaux. It's a soft, voluptuous, medium-bodied effort that offers loads of currants, black cherries, strawberries and leafy herb aromas and flavors. It's already hard to resist, yet there's quality tannin hiding under its fruit, and I suspect it will surprise you with its longevity."
- Item #: i_232430Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 94ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "This Ballard Canyon estate pulls from estate vineyards, and the wines are made by Matt Dees, who's unquestionably one of the most talented winemakers in the central coast. The 2014s are all gorgeous wines that shows the more structured, age-worthy side to the vintage (which is the MO at this estate) and will benefit from short term cellaring."
"Composed of 54% Merlot, 23% Cabernet Sauvignon, 19% Cabernet Franc and 4% Petit Verdot, the 2014 Fenix has a medium garnet-purple color and nose of crushed black plums, blackberry compote and mulberries with hints of Chinese five spice, garrigue, rare beef and dried Mediterranean herbs. The medium-bodied palate struts a lot of showy black fruit and spicy layers, with velvety tannins and lovely freshness paving the long finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2014 Fenix, Jonata's Merlot-based blend is round, supple and inviting. Dark wild cherry, plum, smoke, tobacco, licorice and dark spice notes infuse this creamy voluptuous red. The tannins need time to soften, but there is plenty to look forward to. Like all of the 2014s, the Fenix carries with it the struggle of a drought vintage."
- Item #: i_233950Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 96ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2014 Red Blend Mernet Reserve is a total knock-out. Firm, structured and vibrant, the 2014 bristles with energy. Striking mid-palate sweetness and overall depth add to the wine's unmistakable personality. Deceptive at first because of its mid-weight structure, the 2014 has more than enough pedigree to drink well for many years. The Mernet is equal parts Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon from the estate's Spring Mountain vineyard."
ROBERT PARKER 93 POINTS - "This winery on Spring Mountain has been doing an impeccable job of winemaking for a number of years now, and they continue to show a Midas touch across all varieties they work with."
"Another Reserve cuvee, the equal part blend of Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon is the 2014 Mernet Reserve. Deep opaque ruby/purple, with sweet creme de cassis and black cherry notes, some underbrush and forest floor, medium to full body, and outstanding purity and texture, it is not a big wine, but elegant, intense and authoritative. Drink it over the next 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_236550Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94+Vinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "One of the top Merlots in the report is certainly the 2016 Merlot Howell Mountain from La Jota. This fabulous wine boasts a deep purple color as well as a true 'wow' nose of blackberries, ripe cherries, spice, bay leaf, and ample savory, complex herbal notes. It's medium to full-bodied, has a layered, balanced style, ripe tannins, and a great finish. Drink it any time over the coming two decades."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94+ POINTS - "Blended of 90% Merlot, 5.5% Petit Verdot and 4.5% Tannat, the deep garnet-purple colored 2016 Merlot Howell Mountain struts out of the glass with vivacious notions of preserved plums, Black Forest cake and blackberry compote with touches of baking spices, black soil, truffles and licorice. The palate is full, rich, concentrated and earthy with firm, grainy tannins and great freshness, finishing long and earthy. 1,657 cases produced."
- Item #: i_245570Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "Starting with the 2016 Merlot Mt. Veeder, this brilliant wine is one of the top Merlots in the vintage. Purple-hued, fleshy, and beautifully full-bodied, it has terrific notes of black fruits, chocolate, and underbrush, fine yet building tannins, a stacked mid-palate, and a great finish. Even at $80, it's a screaming deal and has true Merlot opulence paired with considerable purity and elegance. It will keep for 15-20 years."
ROBERT PARKER's WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "Composed of 82% Merlot and 18% Malbec, the 2016 Merlot Mt. Veeder has a deep garnet-purple color and opens with sexy spiced plums, warm blueberries and potpourri scents with hints of fragrant earth, violets and dark chocolate. Full, rich, firm and oh-so-plush, it has a decadently fruited palate and a very long finish with some licorice hints coming through. 547 cases produced."
"The 2014 Merlot (100% Merlot aged in 90% new oak) displays chocolaty blueberry and blackberry fruit, hints of roasted coffee and unsmoked cigar tobacco, medium to full body, soft, silky tannins and impressive intensity. Drink it over the next 10-15 years."
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "The 2016 Merlot is a powerful, authoritative wine that conveys plenty of Mt. Veeder intensity, especially in its structure. Savory, deep and also quite tannic, the 2016 will benefit from a few years in bottle to fully come together. There is no shortage of depth or character here, that much is obvious. "