- Item #: i_214480Bottle Size: 750mlA ripe, rich blend of 47% Grenache, 47% Tannat, and 6% Syrah.
Winemaker's Comment: Tannat is justly famous for its huge tannins and dark, inky color. It can be a rough wine, lacking charm and complexity, but in a cuvée, it adds undeniable power, grip and palate weight. We chose Grenache and Syrah to soften the Tannat’s grip and add layers of fruit to the Tannat’s spice and coal notes.
- Item #: i_228110Bottle Size: 750mlCotes de Paso is Halter Ranch's Rhone-style blend that is a combination of four varietals from their sustainably farmed estate vineyard. A blend of 62% Grenache, 17% Mourvedre, 11% Syrah, and 10% Tannat. Grenache provides a bright fruit-forward entry, Mourvedre adds spice notes, while Syrah brings some weight to the mid-palate, and Tannat ties everything together with color, tannin and acidity. Loaded with aromas of dried strawberry, cinnamon sticks and potpourri, this delicious wine has an elegant palate that leads to a long smooth finish.
- Item #: i_274430Bottle Size: 750mlThis is a blend of 40% Syrah, 35% Mourvedre, 19% Grenache, 4% Carignan, and 2% Tannat. Russel writes his tasting notes like a story, and he writes: "You never thought you'd get this far, but the wood-paneled bar with neon-lit signs has dissolved into your apartment balcony, where she's hungry and waiting. Frying up a grilled cheese in the kitchen you realize you're not kids anymore, so you're trying to channel your inner Thomas Keller, chopping fresh rosemary and sage, sizzling bacon, spreading pepper jelly. She hand-rolls a cigarette as you split the sandwich. Miles away, thunder rolls. The air turns earthy and sweet. Let it fill the space between you until the rain begins."
- Item #: i_277620Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93-95 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Another elegant and seamless wine is the 2017 Cote a Cote (48% Grenache, 32% Mourvedre, and the balance Syrah) has an exotic, perfumed style in its cassis and strawberry fruits, and it's full-bodied, nicely concentrated, and layered on the palate. I love its tannin quality, it's balanced, and is going to drink nicely right out of the gate."
- Item #: i_257740Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 92Owner/winemaker Curt Schalchlin has rapidly made a name for himself within the "Cal-Rhone Community" as one of the best producers of Syrahs, Grenaches, and blends. His Groundwork label presents one heck of a value, and while that is no slouch, the Sans Liege wines really showcase his abilities.
"The Offering" is comprised of 45% Grenache, 33% Syrah, 21% Mourvedre, and 1% Viognier, aged in new, once-used, and neutral French oak. The grapes came from several notable vineyards in Santa Barbara County, including Alta Colina, Zotovich, and White Hawk,, and a few others.
WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "A brooding core is wrapped in a polished, zesty texture, offering blackberry, cured meat and smoky cracked pepper flavors as this builds toward fine-grained tannins. Grenache, Syrah, Mourvèdre and Viognier. Drink now through 2030. 2,502 cases made."
- Item #: i_270950Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 58% Grenache, 27% Syrah, 11% Mourvedre, and 4% Tempranillo from James Berry and Kruse Vineyards.