- Item #: i_277500Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95Vinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "(raised in a combination of new and used French oak barrels, concrete tanks and amphoras) Deep brilliant ruby. An assertively perfumed bouquet evokes fresh black and blue fruits, Moroccan spices, vanilla and smoky minerals, while a suave floral pastille accent builds in the glass. Deeply concentrated yet surprisingly lively on the palate, offering sweet black raspberry, boysenberry, spicecake and mocha flavors that unfold slowly, picking up licorice and vanilla notes on the back half. Shows outstanding clarity and thrust on a supple, strikingly long finish shaped by smooth, building tannins."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "One of the reference point estates in Paso Robles is unquestionably Stephan Asseo's l'Aventure."
"Leading off the reds from barrel, the full-bodied 2015 Cote a Cote (60% Grenache, 30% Mourvedre and 10% Syrah) has an elegant, cool climate feel (which can be common in the vintage) as well as pretty, elegant notes of violets, raspberries, peppery herbs and black cherries. The final blend will be a mix of roughly 60% barrels and 40% in concrete and amphora, and it should have a decade of longevity."
- Item #: i_277540Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Starting with the wines from barrel, the 2017 Optimus (55% Syrah, 41% Grenache, and the rest Petit Verdot) will certainly be a charming, sexy, outstanding bottle of wine. It gives up lots of cassis and jammy dark fruits in a primary, full-bodied, layered style."
- Item #: i_241190Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 92A blend of 70% Syrah, 9% Mourvedre, 8% Grenache, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Petite Sirah, 3% Zinfandel, and 2% Clairette Blanche, Beautiful Earth is Mcprice Myers' flagship Paso Robles Blend, and it represents the best lots from their favorite westside vineyards. Ripe berries, violets, rose petals, sweet tobacco, peach-blackberry cobbler, dried sage, dark chocolate, and leather are all present on the nose. The palate is juicy and voluptuous with hints of cocoa powder, it is opulent and lush with a vibrant beam of energy ushering in a tantalizing finish.
- Item #: i_258900Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 97 POINTS - "According to Justin Smith, in 2016 'just about everything that could go right, did.' A relatively rainy winter helped boost groundwater supplies, and a warm spring set the stage for normal budbreak and fruit set, with no weather events to spoil the party. The summer was warm but not hot, and sugar levels rose steadily while acid levels held firm. The resulting wines are rich and fruit-driven, for sure, but they are remarkably fresh as well."
"Brilliant purple. A complex, intensely perfumed bouquet displays candied black and blue fruit, vanilla and musky earth qualities, while violet, licorice and dark chocolate nuances build in the glass. Sweet and expansive on the palate, offering impressively concentrated, mineral-laced cassis, cherry compote and fruitcake flavors that are given spicy bite by a peppery flourish. Tightens up slowly on a wonderfully long, chewy, floral-dominated finish that's framed by talc-y, well-knit tannins."
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "Speaking about the 2016s, these are the strongest set of releases since the 2007s, and I suspect at maturity these wines will be even better. They have a rare sense of depth and richness paired with purity and precision, as well as singular characters, and these truly are special wines. The 2016 James Berry is quite possibly the greatest wine ever produced from the region and is a legendary wine in the making. Do whatever you can to latch onto a few bottles of this magical elixir. The majority of the 2016s will benefit from 2-4 years of bottle age, but good luck keeping your hands off of them."
"Leading off the 2016s and checking in as interesting blend of 46% Mourvedre, 19% Syrah, 15% Tempranillo and the balance Petite Sirah, Grenache, and Zinfandel, the 2016 Paderewski shows how good these eclectic blends from the west side of Paso Robles can be. Offering a rocking bouquet of ripe currants, plums, forest floor, truffle, and orange zest, this beauty has no hard edges and offers full body, incredible intensity, and a seamlessness pared with density that needs to be tasted to be believed. This hedonistic yet also elegant 2016 benefits from a decant and has a good 10-15 years of prime drinking ahead of it."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94-96 POINTS - "The 2016 Paderewski Vineyard is lovely, revealing complex aromas of ripe black fruits, licorice, aromatic bark, candied peel and dried flowers. On the palate, it's full-bodied, layered and savory, with rich structuring tannins, excellent energy and concentration and a long, stony finish. It's a blend of 46% Mataro, 19% Syrah, 15% Tempranillo, 8% Petite Sirah, 7% Zinfandel and 5% Grenache, maturing in 16% new puncheons, 67% foudre and the balance in used wood. The 2016 will be bottled this June."
- Item #: i_275640Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsTablas Creek was founded by the Perrin family of Château de Beaucastel and their importer, Robert Haas. The goal was to produce California's best examples of southern Rhône varietals and Chateauneuf-du-Pape style blends. The partners chose a 120-acre property in the hills of westside Paso Robles for its similarities to Chateauneuf-du-Pape: limestone soils, favorable climate, and rugged terrain. Tablas Creek emphasizes dry farming (no watering) to seek maximum expression from their grapes, and they farm organically. Their signature white is named Esprit de Tablas, and is modeled after the Beaucastel wines from the Rhone Valley.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "Pale straw-gold. Intense, mineral-accented Meyer lemon, nectarine and pear skin aromas are complemented by a deeper honey nuance. Tightly wound citrus and orchard fruit flavors unfurl slowly with air, picking up a suave floral character and a hint of chalky minerality. The impressively long, incisive finish shows outstanding clarity and leaves behind lively citrus zest and honeysuckle notes."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Moving to a small retrospective of the Esprit de Tablas Blanc cuvee, the 2016 Esprit de Tablas Blanc (75% Roussanne, 18% Grenache Blanc, and the rest Picpoul Blanc aged in foudre) offers a medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and textured style to go with youthful notes of ripe apple, buttered citrus, and some spicy, mineral nuances. It's still a baby yet certainly offers pleasure."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "A blend of 75% Roussanne, 18% Grenache Blanc and 7% Picpoul Blanc, the 2016 Esprit Blanc de Tablas reveals aromas of honeyed citrus, fresh peaches and white flowers. On the palate, it's full-bodied, textural and layered, has good concentration and depth and is nicely balanced despite its rich, gourmand qualities. Haas feels that the estate's Roussanne was especially successful this year, thus the 2016 contains the largest percentage of that grape in this blend's history. Give it a few years in the cellar to unwind before following it for a decade or more."