- Item #: i_277540Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 91-93 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Starting with the wines from barrel, the 2017 Optimus (55% Syrah, 41% Grenache, and the rest Petit Verdot) will certainly be a charming, sexy, outstanding bottle of wine. It gives up lots of cassis and jammy dark fruits in a primary, full-bodied, layered style."
- Item #: i_237730Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 94 POINTS - "Deep vivid ruby. Assertive cherry and raspberry liqueur aromas are complemented by suggestions of baking spices and candied flowers. Sappy and expansive in the mouth, offering appealingly sweet red and blue fruit preserve and candied lavender flavors that are energized by a spicy touch of white pepper. Shows impressive depth as well as energy and finishes impressively long and smooth, with well-knit tannins and strong, floral-driven persistence. 15% whole clusters and once-used French oak."
JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "In the same ballpark, yet more Grenache-dominated, the 2016 Acceleration (85% Grenache and 15% Syrah) boasts a deep ruby color as well as notes of kirsch, dried soil, and savory spices. Medium to full-bodied, seamless, and elegant, it's another beautiful wine from winemaker Aaron Jackson that will cruise in the cellar on its balance and purity."
- Item #: i_277766Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 96 PointsANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95 POINTS - "Saturated ruby. Powerful red and dark berry preserve scents are complemented by suggestions of exotic spices, incense and floral pastilles, and a smoky mineral flourish adds urgency. Sappy and seamless in texture, offering vivacious raspberry and cherry liqueur and spicecake flavors energized by a strong jolt of juicy acidity. The blend of power and energy here is really impressive. Smooth, harmonious tannins build steadily on a strikingly long, seamless finish that leaves behind candied lavender and juicy red berry notes."
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "I’ve written it numerous time, but Linne Calodo remains one of the reference point estates in Paso Robles. Winemaker/owner Matt Trevisan consistently puts together exotic and singular blends that deliver opulence as well as balance."
"The 2016 Rising Tides knocks it out of the park in 2016. A blend of 77% Grenache, 14% Mourvedre, and 9% Syrah, this ruby-tinged beauty boasts thrilling notes of black raspberries, crushed flowers, dried herbs, and incense. Beautifully textured, medium to full-bodied, and elegant, it's a sensational Grenache blend that does everything right. Brought up in a mix of concrete tanks and neutral larger French oak barrels, it's one of the finest vintages for this cuvee to date. Drink it any time over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_268300Bottle Size: 750MLEvery so often, you'll peruse our newsletter and see that we ask why more people are doing things like Winery "A". Well…this is one of those times! While the noteworthy wines from Tablas Creek are nothing new (but they are still exciting), their Patelin bottlings are new. This blend of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre, and Counoise comes from their Westside Paso neighbors who have planted vineyards using Tablas clones.
In theory, this Patelin red should be tight, young, and tart…but on the contrary, this wine is rich, concentrated and immensely delicious. In fact, our buyer wouldn't spit this wine out! Deep ruby/garnet in color, the nose is loaded with Asian spices, raspberry, black cherry, and orange marmalade while the palate follows suit and adds hints of grilled meats, graphite, and cocoa. Rich, flavorful, and with silky tannins, this is a great value in wine, and one that just may make you ask yourself why you haven't tried these wines before!
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90-92 POINTS - "Glass-staining ruby. Perfumed aromas of ripe, spice-tinged dark berries and candied flowers pick up an exotic suggestion of apricot as the wine opens up. Silky and energetic in style, offering sappy black raspberry and bitter cherry flavors and a suave touch of Asian spices. Takes a sweet turn on the gently tannic, persistent finish and leaves a note of candied flowers behind."
- Item #: i_275640Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsTablas Creek was founded by the Perrin family of Château de Beaucastel and their importer, Robert Haas. The goal was to produce California's best examples of southern Rhône varietals and Chateauneuf-du-Pape style blends. The partners chose a 120-acre property in the hills of westside Paso Robles for its similarities to Chateauneuf-du-Pape: limestone soils, favorable climate, and rugged terrain. Tablas Creek emphasizes dry farming (no watering) to seek maximum expression from their grapes, and they farm organically. Their signature white is named Esprit de Tablas, and is modeled after the Beaucastel wines from the Rhone Valley.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93-94 POINTS - "Light green-tinged gold. Mineral-accented tangerine, melon and pear scents on the highly perfumed nose; a floral nuance gains strength as the wine opens up. Vibrant citrus and orchard fruit flavors are joined by bitter quinine and honeysuckle flourishes that build slowly with air. Shows impressive depth as well as nerviness on the finish, which hangs on with strong, mineral-dominated persistence."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2017 Esprit Blanc de Tablas is made up of 68% Roussanne, 17% Grenache Blanc, 7% Picpoul Blanc, 4% Picardan and 4% Clairette Blanche. The nose features honey-drizzled apples, lychee, orange peel and musk with warm hay, crushed stone, quince and pie crust notions. Medium to full-bodied with intense honeyed flavors in the mouth, it has great juicy acidity to counter and a long, gently textured finish. "This is the first vintage of the Esprit de Tablas Blanc to have Clairette and Picardin," winemaker Jason Haas says, "because we wanted to include all the white grapes from Châteauneuf-du-Pape." 2,250 cases produced."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Esprit De Tablas Blanc offers more richness and depth, which is largely missing from many of these wines. White peach, quince, honeysuckle, and hints of stone fruits all emerge from the glass, and it's nicely textured, medium-bodied, has good acidity, and a clean finish. The blend is 68% Roussanne, 17% Grenache Blanc, 7% Picpoul Blanc, 4% Picardan, and 4% Clairette."
- Item #: i_277120Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98+ POINTS - "The 2016 vintage for Paso Robles was a beauty and Torrin’s Scott Hawley has certainly made the most of it. The 2016s are some of the finest wines in the vintage and you can’t go wrong with any of them."
"The first vintage released under the Central Coast AVA, as it includes fruit from Bien Nacido, Hawks Hill, and Shadow Canyon, the 2016 Syrah Akasha is as always 100% Syrah that spent 22 months in 60% new French oak. This saturated purple-hued beauty boasts a phenomenal bouquet of black and blue fruits, scorched earth, ground pepper, bouquet garni, lavender, and crushed rocks. Rich, full-bodied, incredibly powerful and concentrated on the palate, yet also perfectly balanced, it has plenty of gamey, marine-like nuances as well as classic Syrah peppery meatiness. It's another magical Syrah from Hawley that will probably merit a triple-digit score in 3-4 years and keep for over a decade."