- Item #: i_210670Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Vinous Media: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 92ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay Grower Collection Calesa Vineyard has a very pretty, delicate nose with touches of floral perfume and quince that float over a core of spiced peaches, hazelnuts, cut hay and lemon cream. The medium-bodied palate takes its time to unfurl to spicy, perfumed fruits, rounded but fresh and lively, with a long, layered finish. Lovely. 2,020 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay Grower Collection Calesa Vineyard shows the more reserved side of Chardonnay. The 2018 is bright and lifted and is all about savory and mineral infused energy, while the citrus-driven fruit is very much in the background. Saline notes give the 2018 much of its persistence and overall feel."
JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "Brought up in just under 40% new French oak, the 2018 Chardonnay Calesa Vineyard shows a pure, elegant style as well as caramelized grapefruit, white flowers, and salty mineral-like aromas and flavors. Bright, juicy, and medium-bodied, drink this balanced, lively Chardonnay over the coming 3-5 years."
- Item #: i_220660Bottle Size: 750mlThe Hudson Vineyard was planted upon beds of Haire loam soil back in the 1980s by a Texas expat by the name of Lee Hudson. Located at the southern tip of the Mayacamas Mountain range, the vineyard is 20 miles north of the San Pablo Bay exposing it to the classically Napa diurnal shift of foggy morning and extremely warm afternoons. The wines undergo native yeast fermentation before aging for 11 months in a combination of roughly 15% new French oak and 20% concrete egg.
Aromatically the wine is flinty, with notes of grapefruit and as well as tropical fruits. On the palate, the wine has ripe yellow fruits, a touch of pie crust and a firm backbone of sleek acidity.
- Item #: i_228880Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+Jeb Dunnuck: 95Don, Jennifer, and their children Hailey and MacLean make up their family of four; hence the name of the Four Hearts bottling. This Chardonnay is almost exclusively from Tom Dehlinger's Vineyard on Laguna Ridge in the Russian River Valley. The vineyard is planted to heirloom clones of Chardonnay and is one of the oldest plantings of Chardonnay in the Russian River - over 40 years old.
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS "More brioche, honeysuckle, pineapple, and caramelized citrus notes all emerge from the 2018 Chardonnay Four Hearts Vineyards, which is beautifully balanced, medium to full-bodied, and textured on the palate. It shows the more supple, easygoing style of the vintage for Chardonnay yet still has beautiful freshness, good concentration, and a great finish."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "Already bottled, the 2018 Chardonnay Four Hearts Vineyard features bold baked pears, fresh Golden Delicious apples and lemonade scents with touches of chalk dust and allspice. Medium-bodied, the palate has a racy line lifting the apple and pear flavors, finishing on a chalky note. 2,100 cases were made."
- Item #: i_238700Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 100% estate fruit, the 2018 Lucia Chardonnay is sourced from select barrels of the Pisoni and Soberanes vineyards. Combining distinctive characteristics from different vineyard sites, two characters become one as this youthful greenish-gold wine fills the glass. The higher elevations of Pisoni Vineyards add rich notes of baked apple, Bosc pear, and lemon curd, while the rocky, unyielding soil of the Soberanes Vineyard showcases signature notes of citrus blossom and wet stone. On the palate, complexity reigns as depth and nuance of flavor mingle seamlessly with bright, age-worthy acidity and a persistent, structured finish.
- Item #: i_276720Bottle Size: 750MLFull-bodied and lush, yet never heavy, Miner's Wild Yeast Chardonnay shows off flavors of ripe pear and melon with butterscotch and hazelnut notes balanced by oak spice and bright acidity. This is a wildly expressive wine that will reward a few years of patient cellaring. The grapes are fermented using only indigenous or "wild" yeast cultures found on the skins of the grapes themselves, in the vineyards and within the walls of our winery.
- Item #: i_252100Bottle Size: 750MLVinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 91ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Pride's 2018 Chardonnay is gorgeous. Bright, fresh and layered, it offers wonderful nuance and delineation from start to finish. Citrus confit, white flowers and a hint of tropical fruit all grace this pretty, mid-weight Chardonnay from Pride. The Chardonnay is a blend of fruit from Carneros and the Russian River, done in a style that emphasizes freshness and vivacity."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The base 2018 Chardonnay comes 77% from Napa County and 23% from Sonoma County and had a portion of the malolactic fermentation blocked. It's another richly textured, opulent white from this team that has plenty of white currant and peach fruits as well as a touch of green almonds, honeyed lime, and white flower. Nicely textured, balanced, and with a great finish, drink this pleasure bent Chardonnay over the coming 2-4 years."
- Item #: i_257800Bottle Size: 750mlEight miles inland from the Pacific Ocean at the far northern reaches of the Santa Cruz Mountains, atop a ridge of fractured purisima shale, lies the Mindego Ridge Vineyard. Pinot Noir and Chardonnay are at home here on the steep, southern facing slopes, benefiting from a heavily marine-influenced climate to produce wines of intense minerality, complexity, and character.
The wine is fermented and raised in French oak barrels (20% new) for 12 months, then 6 months in stainless steel, and only 105 cases were produced! A striking and well-layered nose combines mineral reduction with fresh citrus and just-ripe pineapple, opening up to notes of green almond, hazelnut, and fennel. On the palate the wine is deep, complex, and very mineral in personality, bracing with nerve yet beautifully elegant. The combination of punch and finesse rockets through the finish, as the citrus and tree-fruit core give way to a subtlety of roasted nuts and crushed rocks.
- Item #: i_260280Bottle Size: 750mlStarted in 2010 by Rajat Parr (wine director for Michael Mina restaurants) and Sashi Moorman (winemaker for Stolpman), Sandhi focus on crafting wine from select vineyards in the Santa Rita Hills area of Santa Barbara County. It is because of their focus for balance that these three are so determined to find vineyard sites from the Santa Rita Hills that are old-vine, have cold temperatures and windy exposures. They want wines with vibrancy, freshness and energy, so they prefer neutral barrel and concrete vessel, employing a conservative amount of new French oak, and all wines are wild-yeast fermented. All Chardonnays go through malo-lactic with the lees not stirred.
The vines' 47th vintage and Sandhi's 10th vintage. With each year there is a renewed appreciation and reverence for this pioneering, north-facing site, first planted in 1971. Without Sanford and Benedict, there may not be a Sandhi. The silex and clay over limestone soils imbue these wines with character and depth.
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay Sanford and Benedict is such a wonderfully complete wine that expresses all of the pedigree of this historic Sta. Rita Hills site. Sweet, perfumed aromatics and radiant fruit envelop the senses. Lemon confit, marzipan and white flowers are some of the many aromas and flavors that open in the glass. The S-and-B is the most forthcoming of the Sandhi Chardonnays. I loved it."
- Item #: i_257540Bottle Size: 750mlStaglin Family Vineyard's SALUS wines devote one hundred percent of the sales profits to their non-profit One Mind. Salus is the Roman goddess representing psychic and bodily health and well-being, which is where the toast "Salud" or "Cheers" came from.
Through the Staglin's vision, efforts, and outreach, more than $390 million has been raised over the past two decades to support an impressive portfolio of brain health initiatives. One Mind has seeded and accelerated important work in brain science with a steadfast focus on and awareness of the urgency to deliver hope to patients and families touched by brain injury and illness.
Winemaker's Tasting Notes: "Bright and a touch precocious, the 2018 Salus Chardonnay is an aromatic delight of yellow citrus, apical golden apple and Bosc pear just past crisp with hints of honeysuckle, muskmelon and roasted almond. Balancing weight and lift, the powerful pomaceous fruit core is sheathed in light and energy, where flavors of sliced cantaloupe meet the abundant soft acids of ripe grapefruit and the smallest sprinkle of crystalized ginger."
- Item #: i_268420Bottle Size: 750mlRosemary's Vineyard is located on a hillside surrounding Rosemary Talley’s home, and is characterized by white, rocky fractured sandstone and loam, with some clay in the subsoil. Rosemary's is steep, very well-drained, and because it is closer to the ocean, slightly cooler. Entirely hand-harvested, this was 100% barrel-fermented and aged for 15 months, yet there is no evidence of heaviness.