- Item #: i_200430Bottle Size: 750mlThe Los Alamos Vineyard is roughly 500 planted acres, most of which is on flat bottomland of the Los Alamos Valley that is sandwiched between the Santa Ynez Valley and Santa Maria Valley appellations. The best grapes from this vineyard are found to the north on the gentle slopes of the hills. Au Bon Climat sources grapes grown at the top of the wind-swept slopes of the Solomon Hills. On this hilltop the wind and shallower soils keep the yields low and the grapes struggle to ripen. Even though it is a struggle, the small crop ripens early. This is the first Chardonnay to arrive at the winery for the last 10 years. The small crop on these hardy vines is concentrated.
- Item #: i_200400Bottle Size: 750MLBurgundian in sensibility but with California style is one way of describing Jim Clendenen's Chardonnays- Structure and restraint melded with bountiful opulence is another. In the glass, buttery brioche marries with tropical fruits in an irresistible elixir that will leave the bottle drained before you know it.
- Item #: i_202940Bottle Size: 750mlThis Santa Barbara County Chardonnay is a good all around choice to satisfy a wide variety of foods. With enough structure to age for five to six years, we think this wine is most enjoyable three years after the vintage year. This is truly a Santa Barbara County blend from warmer Santa Ynez Valley to the cooler Santa Rita Hills.
- Item #: i_216070Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Diatom Bar-M Vineyard is sourced from the stunning contiguous blocks of clone 76 Chardonnay planted over 20 years ago in the Los Alamos region of Santa Barbara County. The loam soil lends itself to fruit with a bit more flesh and weight - perfectly suited to the Diatom model.
The juice was fermented at very low temperature in small stainless-steel tanks, coupled with inhibited malo-lactic and short hose transit ensure precision and focus. Aromas of lemon, citrus blossom, and wet sand lead to flavors of sea spray and white peach, coupled with a precise and balanced texture.
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "From a site in Los Alamos, the 2017 Chardonnay Bar M is perfumed, lifted and wonderfully gracious in feel. Citrus and floral notes abound in a very pretty, expressive Chardonnay that shows the aromatic style that is so common here. White flowers, mint and saline overtones add closing layers to this pretty and inviting Chardonnay from Greg Brewer's Diatom label."
- Item #: i_215510Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Vinous Media: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 91Dierberg has been on a roll the past few years! Dierberg sells much of their fruit to other wineries, but they have begun to keep some of the better sections of the vineyard for themselves. That being said, their own label hasn't skipped a beat, and is receiving the same high scores as their customers!
Located 13 miles from the Pacific Ocean in one of the coolest wine-growing corners of California's Central Coast, Dierberg Vineyard is on the western edge of Santa Barbara County's Santa Maria Valley appellation, which is world-renowned for Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Their vineyard is planted to newer "Dijon" clones, as well as other "heritage clones" whose roots go back to the Burgundy area of France, offering a clonal diversity unlike almost any other Chardonnay vineyard in California. Last year's 93-point Chardonnay was a huge hit at our store, and this Pinot Noir is a great follow up!
This wine has the personality of many Chardonnay's from Burgundy's Macon region; baked apple, plenty of lively acidity and freshness, good body, and low to moderate use of new oak (about 20%). This is an amazing deal in California Chardonnay, earning 92 points from both Robert Parker's Wine Advocate and Antonio Gallino's Vinous Media...so grab this while it's still here!
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Dierberg Vineyard, aged 15 months in 20% new oak, has a nose of honey toast, baked golden apple, wet hay, earth, white peach and almonds plus a tinge of creme fraiche. The palate is medium-bodied with a silky texture, very lively acidity and a long, nutty finish. 2,675 cases produced."
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Dierberg Vineyard is rich, ample and super-expressive. Lemon confit, pineapple, lime and tropical notes infuse this lush Chardonnay with plenty of character. Supple, open-knit and inviting, the 2017 is best enjoyed over the next handful of years."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Chardonnay Dierberg Vineyard (10 months in 30% new French oak) reveals a lighter gold color as well as a terrific bouquet of white currants and orchard fruits, brioche, spice, and hints of toasted bread. With medium body, a rounded, nicely textured style, good balance, and a great finish, drink it over the coming 4-6 years."
- Item #: i_249210Bottle Size: 750mlSince 1989 the Parker family-owned and -operated winery has produced wines of superior quality and value. This handcrafted wine represents the best of what Santa Barbara County Chardonnay has to offer. Flavors of ripe apple, butter, lemon, and melon are perfectly balanced with light toasty oak on the palate.
- Item #: i_222700Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 93Foxen has been producing wines since the mid '80's in Northern Santa Barbara County. Founders Bill Wathen and Dick Dore's vision has always been the same since the start; sustainably-farmed, vineyard-focused wines using a straightforward and minimalist approach to winemaking. The wines they produce always display beautiful balance, great texture with layers of nuances and this 2014 Bien Nacido Vineyard Block UU Chardonnay fits that statement "To a T"!
ANTONIO GALLONI 93 POINTS - "Foxen's 2017 Chardonnay Bien Nacido Vineyard Block UU is creamy, supple and expressive, with striking depth and nuance. In 2017, the Block UU has an extra kick of texture that is hugely appealing. Lemon confit, orchard fruit and chamomile all grace this compelling and wonderfully inviting Chardonnay from Foxen. What a pretty wine this is."
- Item #: i_247820Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Not only is winemaker Adam Tolmach one of the greatest California "Rhone Rangers" we've met, but he has been fashioning outstanding Chardonnays and Pinot Noirs for decades! For Over 25 years, Adam has helped to push Rhone and Burgundian varietals into the limelight again and again, with his wines earning high scores by the publications, and raves from the consumers! The wines showcase intense fruit flavors, yet retain the ability to accompany food...not overpower it!
Adam works closely with a dozen different vineyards on the Central Coast, and the most renowned and singular expression of terroir has to be the fruit coming from Bien Nacido Vineyard. Bien Nacido is located on the eastern foothills of the Santa Maria Valley. One of the coolest wine growing climates in California, the terrain is a combination of rocky soils and ocean influence, and receives a steady wash of cool marine air. This vineyard has been named one of the "Top Grand Cru Vineyards in California" by Wine Enthusiast, and one of the "Top Five California Vineyards" by the Wall Street Journal! Bien Nacido has also been a grape source for other notable brands, such as Sine Qua Non, Paul Lato, Qupe, Herman Story, Jaffurs, and several others.
This year, Adam fermented this Chardonnay entirely in neutral French oak barrels; so you get just a kiss of wood, and it does not overpower the wine. The wine was aged for just under a year in barrel, and only 877 cases were produced...that's all that was made! This wine shows the brighter, fresher, dare we say Burgundian, side of Chardonnay. We were hooked from the first sip of this Chardonnay; you take one sip, and we're sure you will be, too!
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2018 Chardonnay Bien Nacido Vineyard is such a classic wine from this site. Nuanced, translucent and yet so full of flavor, the 2018 dazzles from start to finish. There is a level of detail and nuance to the 2018 that is just remarkable. Scents of tangerine oil, mint, dried flowers and apricot envelop the palate as this gracious, alluring Chardonnay gradually opens in the glass. The 2018 has a bit more new oak than has been the case in the recent past. I love the precision here. In a word: sublime."
- Item #: i_244900Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97Jeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "I continue to be blown away by the wines of Paul Lato, and these are unquestionably some of the most profound and exciting wines coming from the Central Coast today. The lineup has grown substantially over the past decade, and Lato now releases upwards of five Chardonnays, six Pinot Noirs, two Grenaches, three Syrahs, a Sauvignon Blanc, and a Malvasia. Despite the number of wines, quality hasn't slipped an inch, and the wines show incredible site and varietal typicity always paired with sensational fruit and balance. In short, don't miss these wines!"
"From a site in the Santa Maria Valley and aged 15 months in 60% new French oak, the 2017 Chardonnay Le Souvenir Sierra Madre Vineyard from Lato offers a vivid gold color as well as a rocking bouquet of lemon curd, crushed rocks, white currants, spice box, and white flowers. Rich, powerful, and layered, yet also vibrant and racy, with beautiful purity and precision on the palate, it's one of the most seamless, flawlessly balanced wines in the lineup. It's brilliant today yet should evolve effortlessly."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "Grapes for this wine come from a parcel of 24-year-old vines planted in sandy soils, and the wine was aged 15 months in 60% new French oak. Youthfully coiled, the 2017 Chardonnay le Souvenir Sierra Madre Vineyard has a mineral-driven nose that slowly, slowly opens up to saline, crushed shell, white peach, tiny touches of baking spice and nutmeg coming through from the amazingly integrated 75% new oak, lime skin, dried hay and leaves, elderflower and lemon curd—so, so many layers. Medium to full-bodied, it has a backbone of that signature pixelated texture and juicy acidity with layer upon flavor layer blossoming in the mouth, finishing very, very long and full of energy. Wow! Absolutely world class Chardonnay. That texture is unreal. 315 cases were made."
- Item #: i_244840Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97If you do not yet know the name Paul Lato, and you haven't heard us talking about him in our store, then it's time to listen up! We are telling you right now that Paul Lato is producing some of the most exciting Pinot Noirs, Chardonnays, and Syrahs coming out of California's Central Coast!
After working as a Sommelier in Toronto, Paul decided to change gears and work in winemaking. After working with Jim Clenden at Au Bon Climat, Paul started making his first wines. Before he even had a name, esteemed critic Robert Parker tasted the wines and suggested that Paul hurry up and come up with a label, because Paul had true talent. Paul only works with premier vineyards; he tastes wines from other producers who use fruit from a potential vineyard, and if that wine excites him, then he tries to get the best fruit from the property.
Paul makes several different wines, but he does not make a large amount of any one bottling. In fact, he often makes just a few hundred cases of a particular label, which means getting your hands on them is even harder. However, our buyer has known Paul for well over a decade, so we tend to get a rather generous allocation...thanks Paul!
The scores for Paul's wines have only been going up and up. In fact, one of his Syrahs received 100 points! We just received a few releases this week, and we felt the need to bring these incredible wines to your attention before they're all gone!
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "A great California success story, Polish immigrant Paul Lato started as a cellar hand in a Santa Maria co-op/custom crush and has worked his way up to being one of the leading producers of artisanal, world class wines in California today. Lato fashions a bevy of wines (I would normally say too many, yet given the quality he's able to achieve, the more the merrier) including Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Syrah. These aren't lightweight wines, yet they never lose their sense of balance and elegance. I always describe the wines as having a slightly Old World style, but with one foot planted firmly in California. As I hope the reviews show, his 2018s are incredible wines across the board."
"The 2018 Chardonnay Le Souvenir Sierra Madre Vineyard comes from a site outside of Santa Maria and was brought up in 60% new French oak. Awesome notes of white flowers, white currants, toasted spices, honeysuckle and a touch of spice all emerge from this ultra-classic, medium to full-bodied, seamless beauty. It does everything right and is just a classy effort."
- Item #: i_249640Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "An up and coming estate readers need to check out is John and Gillian Wagner's Peake Ranch. Located on the eastern/southern side of the Sta. Rita Hills, they produce a stunning array of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Syrahs. Prices haven't caught up with quality, so these are still screaming values."
"Possibly the creme of the trio, the 2017 Chardonnay Sierra Madre Vineyard comes from a vineyard in the Santa Maria Valley and was fermented and aged 18 months in 50% new French oak. It offers a terrific bouquet of sauteed orchard fruits, grilled bread, crushed citrus, and toasted hazelnuts. Rich, medium to full-bodied, concentrated, and beautifully textured, it's another thrilling wine from this estate that should be snatched up by readers."
- Item #: i_251340Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91Vinous Media: 90Santa Maria Valley has as its hallmark one of the few valleys on the North and South American Pacific Coast that runs transverse to the ocean, funneling cool marine breezes inland. Set between the San Rafael Mountains to the north and the Solomon Hills to the south, this unique feature and reliable California heat produce an unusually long wine-grape growing season and "hang time" (125 days on average). The result is complex wines with intense flavors, and naturally balanced acidity.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay Santa Maria Valley is shy on the nose, very slowly giving up hints of tangerine and clover honey with toast, yellow apple, honeysuckle, stone and tropical fruit notions in the background. Medium-bodied and creamy textured, it gives up creamy fruits in the mouth with juicy acidity and a long, textured finish."
ANTONIO GALLONI 90 POINTS - "The 2017 Chardonnay (Santa Maria Valley) is a pretty wine, but one that speaks in hushed tones. There is good aromatic intensity, and yet the wine is less forthcoming on the palate. Hints of lemon confit, almond, marzipan and dried flowers add nuance throughout in an understated, attractive Chardonnay to drink over the next handful of years."
- Item #: i_252560Bottle Size: 750MLThis wine comes from grapes grown on the "Y" Block at Bien Nacido Vineyard. "Y" Block is one of the older Chardonnay blocks at Bien Nacido. It's located on the gravelly river banks of the Cuyama River, just opposite the winery. Qupe is the only winery that gets these grapes. This is classic Y Block Chardonnay, with all of the flinty, citrus, pear and tropical fruit aromas and flavors that you've come to love, made intriguing by just a hint of spice from judicious use of French and Hungarian oak. This still has plenty of acidity for a fuller-bodied Chardonnay, with leesy richness mid-palate and a finish that begs for another sip.