- Item #: i_232600Bottle Size: 750MLBranham's 2017 "Jazz" trio continues to bring down the house! Presenting their group from the Napa Valley: 50% Zinfandel, 25% Petite Sirah, and 25% Cabernet Sauvignon. Sitting in for a short solo is the accomplished "Branham Rockpile fruit." Encore after encore, this proprietary blend never fails to satisfy the eye and palate. Refined melodies of black-plum, dark berries and coffee notes are enhanced by a purposeful symmetry of balanced tannins and acidity. Pair with music!
- Item #: i_206620Bottle Size: 750MLIn 1980 when the Brown family stumbled upon their now renowned property in the Chiles Valley sub-appellation of the Napa Valley, it was but a ghost ranch up the hill east of Rutherford. Five years later they planted vineyards and for a decade they farmed and sold wine grapes. In 1995 the second generation, encouraged by growing demand for their fruit, established the Brown Estate label and began making their own wines.
Brown's flagship Napa Valley Zinfandel historically has borne the responsibility of being the ultimate representative of what their property and its unique microclimate have to offer — the cream of the Brown Estate zinfandel crop blended into one stellar wine. Rich magenta hue in the glass. Nose opens with abundant floral notes of hibiscus, dried rose petals, and violet followed by fruit notes of black plum, blackberry, and dried orange peels. Nose finishes with fresh cut wood/sawdust, fir balsam, and a hint of tangy soy/umami. Medium-plus palate layered with bramble fruit up front, leading into dried herbs, exotic spices, and dusty earth. Long finish with well-balanced acid and tannins. Drink now through 2028.
- Item #: i_275550Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "All from the estate vineyard on Howell Mountain, the 2017 Zinfandel is a complex, layered, pretty Zinfandel that's a touch reserved and inward. Notes of blackberries, plum, incense, white pepper and brambly spice all emerge from the glass of this concentrated, structured beauty that's going to benefit from a year of two of bottle age."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS -Already bottled, the 2017 Zinfandel (100% Zinfandel) was aged for 16 months in French oak, 34% new. Medium garnet-purple colored, it gives up flamboyant cherry pie, raspberry preserves and blueberry compote notes with touches of Chinese five spice, Sichuan pepper, dusty soil, dried flowers and underbrush. Full-bodied, relatively taut and chewy, it sports bold freshness on the palate, laden with spicy red and blue fruit preserves, finishing long and perfumed. 1,123 cases were made."
- Item #: i_253260Bottle Size: 750mlThe Tempest – a famous play, a violent storm, and the name of Realm's Merlot-based blend, fashioned after the great wines of Pomerol in Bordeaux. The Tempest was the first proprietary wine Realm released, so named for the "perfect" storm of three grape varietals that became available at the same time, from the same vineyard, in 2002 -- the year of Realm's tumultuous beginning. Though their equipment was borrowed and the winery they occupied unfinished, Realm's grapes were sound that year – beautiful in fact – and the resulting wine reflected a fierce determination to brave the storm. The Tempest is still made with beautiful grapes, from vineyards such as Beckstoffer Orchard and Dr. Crane, as well as Blair Vineyard in Calistoga. Predominantly Merlot, with lesser amounts of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petit Verdot depending on vintage, The Tempest is a roiling cauldron of lush, bright, red fruit – a wine that shows what Merlot can be in the right hands, from the right vineyards.
- Item #: i_205210Bottle Size: 750ML"Hey Aldo, when you stop by this Friday, bring me a few pounds of walnuts, some fruits and veggies, a couple dozen eggs and a Black Chicken!" - This was one of the many covert orders placed to Aldo Biale.
For over 70 years starting in 1937 the Biale family has been growing Zinfandel along with a variety of produce. Back then, a young Aldo Biale used to deliver eggs to local customers. Along with those eggs and produce a teenaged Aldo began discreetly selling his homemade wine to a few wine-loving locals in Napa. Because his rural home phone was a "party line" frequented by nosy eavesdroppers, enterprising Aldo used a code name whereby his customers could order wine without the risk of revealing his secret Zinfandel operation. Thus "Black Chicken" was born - the nickname for a jug of homemade wine from young Aldo's barrels hidden in the barn.
In 1991 Aldo teamed up with his son Robert and a couple other key figures to form Robert Biale Vineyards and with such long standing history, grapes and winemaking Robert Biale Vineyards gained recognition and a cultish following by Zinfandel fanatics.
The Black Chicken bottling is sourced primarily from Biale's estate vineyards in the Oak Knoll district. Round, plush, a gentle grip of perfectly ripe tannins, a spectrum of red and dark fruits - raspberries, cherries, blackberries, watermelon, bright vivid aromas, fine-grained texture, star anise, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, black and white pepper, cocoa, subtle nuanced oak. Age worthy, compelling, decadent: a beautifully proportioned Napa Valley Zinfandel. If cellared well, this wine will continue to improve for the next 3-5 years.