- Item #: i_215492Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Arrowood Winery is pure Sonoma, located in the historic Sonoma Valley, a swath of land tucked between the Mayacamas Mountains and Napa to the east, and Sonoma Mountain to the west. When Richard and Alis Arrowood started the winery in 1986, Richard was already experienced and quite revered from his stints at Korbel and Chateau St. Jean. The Arrowood winery first came to prominence by way of the single-vineyard Chardonnays and Reserve Cabernets that were hoarded by most of the savvy collectors, and this was at a time where Napa Cabernets were quite popular, but this wasn’t the case in Sonoma. Richard’s methods made people take note of Sonoma Cabernets, and the region owes him quite a lot! The Arrowoods have since retired and sold the property, but the new owners and their winemaker (Kristina Werner) have every intention of keeping this property a world-class winery, and judging by this bottling, they haven’t missed a beat!
Kristina crafted this 2014 Réserve Spéciale from the finest vineyard sources in Sonoma County, and this represents their very best barrels, and the finest Cabernet Arrowood produces. The majority of the fruit came from the Sonoma Valley AVA, where low-yielding, rocky growing sites bring balance and elegance to this very complex wine. A small percentage of fruit from the Knights Valley AVA offer the wine a darker aromatic profile and fuller tannin profile. Aged for 24 months in predominantly new French oak barrels, the nose introduces you to the wine with seductive dark fruit and aromas of blackberry, fresh fig, licorice, and is rich in complexities. Fresh notes of Bing cherry and violet also surface as the wine breathes. Framed by a firm structure and silky elegance, the persisting texture defines what makes this wine the Reserve Speciale. The power behind this wine ingratiates itself to the entire palate—dark chocolate and nutmeg outline baking spices and plum. And a lingering finish will carry on long afterwards. The long barrel aging and year in bottle before release guarantee its readiness to drink. However, those that hold onto it will be rewarded, with an aging potential of 20+ years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Speciale has a black forest cake and creme de cassis-scented nose with touches of charcoal, black soil, mocha and salami plus a hint of cigar box. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with black fruit and savory layers with beautifully ripe, fine-grained tannins and just enough freshness, finishing with great persistence. 1,103 cases produced."
- Item #: i_204500Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97+ POINTS - "Very deep purple-black colored, the 2014 Pluribus offers up notions of crushed black plums, black currant cordial and pencil shavings over a meaty core of chargrill and beef drippings plus hints of Chinese five spice and underbrush. Full-bodied and firmly framed with chewy tannins and a lively backbone, it features plenty of earthy and savory layers, finishing long and minerally."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2014 Pluribus is stellar. Once again, I am deeply impressed with the Pluribus. Inky blue/purplish fruit, lavender, mint, plum and licorice infuse this super-expressive, resonant Spring Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon. Pluribus is the most improved Bond wine. This flight of 2014 makes that quite evident."
- Item #: i_239500Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2014 Cava Maciel Alba is pure Cabernet Sauvignon with a complex nose of cassis, black pepper, caramel, tobacco, chocolate, spices, and toasted intense. On the voluptuous palate, it shows good balance and smooth, structured tannins with a round and luscious body. It is ideal for pairing with sharp cheeses like brie, prime cuts of meat like rib-eye or top sirloin, and mushrooms.
- Item #: i_211130Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93+ROBERT PARKER 93+ POINTS - "Another soft, opulent, voluptuously textured wine is the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Rian, offering up chocolate, licorice, forest floor and blackberry fruit with a touch of coffee bean and white chocolate. It is full-bodied, round and juicy with a dense opaque color, like its siblings, and shows maybe more tannin in the finish – but again, is approachable and accessible. It should be drunk now and over the next 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_215550Bottle Size: 1.5LWine Advocate: 91Wine Spectator: 92WINE SPECTATOR 92 POINTS - "Extracted and supple, offering ripe currant, loamy earth, green olive, savory herb and cedary oak flavors that fall comfortably into place. Ends with a long, graceful finish. Best from 2018 through 2030."
ROBERT PARKER 91 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon, which has 8% Petit Verdot added, has a dense ruby/purple color, beautiful blackcurrant fruit, plum, spice box and earth. It is medium to full-bodied, with supple tannins and seems classic and very much 2014 in style with its front-end-loaded fruit, lushness and irresistibility. This charming and complex wine should drink nicely for the next 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_214180Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon is super-refined, polished and articulate, with mid-weight structure and fine overall balance. Readers should expect a somewhat laid-back wine by Dalla Valle's standards. In 2014, the Cabernet Sauvignon is especially aromatic and nuanced. It should drink well with minimal cellaring."
- Item #: i_214170Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95+ANTONIO GALLONI 95+ POINTS - "The 2014 Maya is powerful, compact and closed in on itself. That's not much of a surprise given the wine was just bottled a few months ago. Dark, powerful and intense, the 2014 offers plenty of energy, but is also holding back much of its potential at this stage. The blend is 75% Cabernet Sauvignon and 25% Cabernet Franc, which is to say more Cabernet than has been the norm in recent years. There is plenty of intensity to the pomegranate, plum, red cherry and blood orange flavors, but the wine needs time to come into its own."
ROBERT PARKER 95+ POINTS - "...the 2014 Maya Proprietary Red may not be as perfect as the 2013 was, but it is a fabulous effort. Finishing at 14.6% alcohol, this wine (generally a blend of about 60% Cabernet Franc and the rest Cabernet Sauvignon) has incredibly gorgeous aromatics of black and blue fruits, forest floor, violets, and an almost Graves-like, scorched earth, gravelly nuance. The wine hits the palate with a full-bodied richness and terrific harmony among its structural elements such as alcohol, acidity, tannin and wood, with moderately sweet tannins in the finish. It is a good 30- to 35-year wine, as most Mayas have tended to be, and is impressive and surprisingly structured for a 2014. Forget it for 3-4 years and drink it over the following 35-40 years."
- Item #: i_214430Bottle Size: 750mlANTONIO GALLONI 97 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Hershey Vineyard is dense, powerful and very much closed in on itself, with less of the aromatic intensity and power it has shown in the past. There is good depth and density in the glass, but I suspect the wine is simply going through a subdued phase given how the 2014 has shown in the past and how magnificent the other 2014s are today."
- Item #: i_200380Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91The David Arthur Estate is located high on Pritchard Hill, on the eastern side of the Napa Valley. The rough mountain terrain and rocky red soils provide ideal growing conditions for wine grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon. In 1978, Donald Long and his 28 year old son David began the epic job of building roads, clearing land and finally planting wine grapes. Although David lacked a formal viticultural education, he learned hands-on by working in the vineyards and cellars of local wineries such as the Chappellet and Joseph Phelps. The first vintage of Chardonnay was harvested in 1985, followed by Cabernet Sauvignon in the nineties. As his experience and knowledge of the land grew, David learned the ability of these hills to grow the very finest wine grapes. Today, with the help of a highly insightful team, David Arthur continues to cultivate rich concentrated wine grapes that in turn help them craft distinctive and memorable wines.
Meritaggio is the brainchild of the Long brothers. Wanting to fulfill his desire of producing a fine Meritage blend, David set out to find clones of the five classic Bordeaux varietals. On his travels, he came across Sangiovese, which stole the spotlight from any Malbec he had ever tasted. Bob had the brilliance to name the wine "Meritaggio" in honor of Sangiovese's Italian Heritage.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "Winemaker Nile Zacherle has done a fabulous job with the 2014s at David Arthur. The wines showed just as well, or better, than they did last year."
"The 2014 Meritaggio Estate is a very beautiful, classy wine. Bright, focused and nuanced, the 2014 offers striking aromatics and finely sculpted fruit, all in a refreshing, mid-weight style that will drink well early. Red stone fruit and sweet floral notes are pushed forward in this attractive mid-weight wine. The 2014 has a bit less Sangiovese than in the past."
- Item #: i_223040Bottle Size: 750mlVinícola Emeve is the creation of Mexican businessman Mario Villarreal whose daughter Laura manages the winery. Villarreal dreamt of creating his own wine, something of beauty to offer to wine lovers all around Mexico. Enlisting the help of noted winemaker and enologist Reynaldo Rodriguez (an Ensenada native who received his formal training in Spain), Villarreal obtained cuttings from the University of California, Davis and in 2004 set about planting grapes.
- Item #: i_220590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Malbec, Merlot and Cabernet Franc, the 2014 Tresor has a deep garnet color and nose of cassis, warm blackberries and mulberries with hints of cedar, menthol and cloves. Medium-bodied, there’s a good amount of expressive black currant and baking spice flavors in the mouth, with chewy tannins and an herbal lift on the finish."
- Item #: i_222350Bottle Size: 750mlThe Fontanella Cabernets first caught our eyes while being poured at a trade tasting and it tasted better than several others selling for a lot more money! Jeff cut his "winemaking teeth" at Opus One and ZD, so he knows how to get everything he wants out of his grapes. This bottling is all Mt. Veeder fruit, aged for 21 months entirely in French oak.
The Fontanella 2014 Cabernet leads with black currant and cherries. Mouth-filling cassis and black plum flavors are highlighted by sweet barrel notes and the trademark Mt. Veeder minerality. The long, lingering finish makes this the perfect Cab to savor with a meal – or just some great company.
- Item #: i_226700Bottle Size: 750mlFounded in 2005 by third-generation Napa farmer Tom Gamble, Gamble Family Vineyards farms approximately 175 acres of prime estate vineyards from several of Napa Valley's most respected AVAs – Oakville, Yountville, Mt. Veeder, and Rutherford. Set in an isolated nook off of Highway 29 in the heart of Napa Valley's Oakville District, the winery, open to guests by invitation, has a quiet and pastoral presence. Tom Gamble's mission is to carry on the heritage of quality farming that his ancestors sowed when they came to Napa as farmers and ranchers in 1916. A family farming for over 100 years does so only through constant reinvestment in the environment and the people that support it. Knowledge and abilities evolve over time. Constant improvement means always trying new things and keeping what works. His winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
For 2014, the final blend is comprised of 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Cabernet Franc, 28% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot, aged in French oak barrels, of which 46% were new.
- Item #: i_228560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The complex aromas of dried cherry, blackberry bramble, orange peel, cherry tobacco, cedar, sandalwood, cardamom, pink peppercorn and forest floor give a decidedly autumn impression. Amazingly silky across the palate with sweet red fruits on the mid-palate, plenty of fine textured tannins and a long toasty finish. This is one of the most elegant and approachable Hanzell Vineyards Pinot Noirs in recent memory."
- Item #: i_229110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Juicy, with an engaging mix of red currant, blood orange and raspberry coulis fruit, laced with rooibos tea, mineral, sassafras and mineral notes. Ripe and tightly focused, showing a racy edge that imparts nice lift from start to finish. Best from 2020 through 2035. 2,086 cases made"
- Item #: i_229230Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2002, Heitz planted cabernet vines on Howell Mountain near the gateway to the Linda Falls Preserve. That same year they donated an adjacent 21 acres to the Land Trust as a conservation easement for the preserve, for hikers and nature lovers to enjoy the splendor of the waterfall, which runs year-round. Stretching above the fog at an average elevation of 1500 feet, this area is known for well-drained, volcanic soils and a cooler climate which results in longer hangtime. The vines are planted in narrow rows, deliberately positioned to capture the strongest rays of the summer sun. As the fruit matures, the dense spacing and abundant sunshine leads to a low yield of smaller berries with thick, deeply-hued skins. This picturesque, hilly vineyard is surrounded by pine trees, deer, and bears; a truly special slice of Napa Valley.
Winemaker's Notes: "Its full palate shows how refined and elegant a Howell Mountain wine can be; a firm tannin structure yet silky, with a juicy lingering finish. Undeniably made in the classic Heitz style, it has a liveliness to it with balanced acidity."
- Item #: i_232470Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97Owned by Stan Kroenke (who also owns Screaming Eagle), Jonata is located in Ballard Canyon, just south of Los Olivos and is focused on Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Syrah. The entire Jonata property is comprised of sand, with varying amounts of clay. The vineyards are sustainably farmed (herbicides and pesticides don’t even enter the conversation), and the area enjoys very cool nights due to winds coming off the Pacific Ocean, mixed with very warm days during the summer months. This helps to create wines of exceptional structure, intensity, and ageability...and it’s not uncommon for these Jonata wines to earn 97-100 points from the critics!
Jonata’s winemaker is Matt Dees, and he has the kind of resume that makes other winemakers green with envy. Having previously worked at other noteworthy estates such as Staglin in Napa, and Craggy Range in New Zealand, Matt has learned how to coax the best out of several different grapes grown in a variety of climates.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2014 El Desafio de Jonata is a baby that needs to be forgotten for 5-6 years. A blend of 79% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, and 4% each of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, it offers terrific notes of blackcurrants, lead pencil shaving, licorice, tobacco leaf and roasted meats. Seamless, elegant and gorgeous on the palate, with a phenomenal texture, ultra-fine tannin, and a great finish, it's a tour de force in Santa Barbara County Cabernet Sauvignon. It will keep for 2-3 decades."
- Item #: i_233640Bottle Size: 750mlYup...you read that right...ISOSCELES RESERVE!!!
A blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec aged for 24 months in French oak. This wine has a bright, deep almost opaque purple ruby core lightening to medium intensity with more ruby color at the rim. Swirling the glass gives slow forming, well-stained tears on the glass. It's very aromatic with black cherry jam, blackcurrant and a little boysenberry fruit mixed with toasted oak, vanilla and cinnamon spice complemented by savory cedar, sweet tobacco and graphite notes. Full bodied, rich and impressive on the entry with a ripe black cherry and blackcurrant jam core with ripe a berry accent mixed with layers of baking spice and toasty oak elements. Savory dried autumn leaf, graphite and cedar notes with some dusty cocoa appear on the fresh midpalate balanced by firm, chewy tannins that lead into the extremely long finish with lingering ripe fruit, continuing savory notes, a little chocolate and a subtle floral note all wrapped in sustained tannins that will remain prominent for a few years.
- Item #: i_237020Bottle Size: 750MLJohn & Tracey Skupney's 214 Cabernet Franc (named after the specific clone used in the wine) is viewed as a 'Vin de Garde', or a wine to age, meaning that with proper cellaring the wine will display additional complexities and nuance.
This is the seventh vintage of Lang & Reed "Two-Fourteen" Cabernet Franc, which displays a brilliant crimson color with a typical, youthful violet-blue edge. The aroma distills white and red cherry with an ethereal "sous bois" (or forest floor) impression. On the palate, this wine possesses bright and pure Cabernet Franc flavors of firm black cherry, cassis and graphite, which are expansive and made mouthwatering by ample fresh fruit acidity. The finish is supported by solid, but not oppressive, tannins, which have flavor elements that provide memorable length. This is a fresh and exacting expression of Cabernet Franc, attributed to the 214 clone, that will serve well now or gain in complexity with additional bottle age.
- Item #: i_237260Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The nose has deep cherry and blackberry enhanced by cocoa powder and hints of vanilla and toast. The youthful fruit and welcomed acidity are apparent from the first sip. The wine unfolds and offers a rich, mouth filling texture that persists. The layering and integration of flavors is simultaneously enticing and intriguing. This wine has aged beautifully and is ready for your table."
- Item #: i_241330Bottle Size: 750ml"Old school", "classic" Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity wth an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_241380Bottle Size: 750ml'Old school', 'classic' Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity with an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_245360Bottle Size: 750mlA single barrel bottling of 100% Cabernet Franc crafted by legendary winemaker Luc Morlet • Fruit comes exclusively from the renowned Oakville Bench in the heart of the Napa Valley • Natural fermentation occurred in a highly soughtafter Darnajou Puncheon French oak barrel • The strong personality of this 2014 amazes now and will gain incredible complexity for 35-plus years Wine Facts • Wine is unfiltered • Single vineyard wine • Sustainably produced
- Item #: i_282080Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 98 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "I loved these latest releases from Luc Morlet and family, and they show a sensational mix of classic, balanced, even old-school, characters mixed with killer California fruit. As a whole, the 2014s show more elegance and complexity, with the 2015s possessing more power and richness. These are rockstar wines."
"The 2014 Morlet Estate comes from the western foothills just north of St. Helena and is 99% Cabernet Sauvignon. It has a Pauillac-like austerity as well as awesome notes of black fruits, graphite, lead pencil shavings and loamy soils. Fresh, focused, full-bodied and powerful, this classic, structured Cabernet Sauvignon needs 2-4 years of bottle age but will have 20-25 years of overall longevity."