- Item #: i_215492Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 95Arrowood Winery is pure Sonoma, located in the historic Sonoma Valley, a swath of land tucked between the Mayacamas Mountains and Napa to the east, and Sonoma Mountain to the west. When Richard and Alis Arrowood started the winery in 1986, Richard was already experienced and quite revered from his stints at Korbel and Chateau St. Jean. The Arrowood winery first came to prominence by way of the single-vineyard Chardonnays and Reserve Cabernets that were hoarded by most of the savvy collectors, and this was at a time where Napa Cabernets were quite popular, but this wasn’t the case in Sonoma. Richard’s methods made people take note of Sonoma Cabernets, and the region owes him quite a lot! The Arrowoods have since retired and sold the property, but the new owners and their winemaker (Kristina Werner) have every intention of keeping this property a world-class winery, and judging by this bottling, they haven’t missed a beat!
Kristina crafted this 2014 Réserve Spéciale from the finest vineyard sources in Sonoma County, and this represents their very best barrels, and the finest Cabernet Arrowood produces. The majority of the fruit came from the Sonoma Valley AVA, where low-yielding, rocky growing sites bring balance and elegance to this very complex wine. A small percentage of fruit from the Knights Valley AVA offer the wine a darker aromatic profile and fuller tannin profile. Aged for 24 months in predominantly new French oak barrels, the nose introduces you to the wine with seductive dark fruit and aromas of blackberry, fresh fig, licorice, and is rich in complexities. Fresh notes of Bing cherry and violet also surface as the wine breathes. Framed by a firm structure and silky elegance, the persisting texture defines what makes this wine the Reserve Speciale. The power behind this wine ingratiates itself to the entire palate—dark chocolate and nutmeg outline baking spices and plum. And a lingering finish will carry on long afterwards. The long barrel aging and year in bottle before release guarantee its readiness to drink. However, those that hold onto it will be rewarded, with an aging potential of 20+ years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve Speciale has a black forest cake and creme de cassis-scented nose with touches of charcoal, black soil, mocha and salami plus a hint of cigar box. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is packed with black fruit and savory layers with beautifully ripe, fine-grained tannins and just enough freshness, finishing with great persistence. 1,103 cases produced."
- Item #: i_220590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Malbec, Merlot and Cabernet Franc, the 2014 Tresor has a deep garnet color and nose of cassis, warm blackberries and mulberries with hints of cedar, menthol and cloves. Medium-bodied, there’s a good amount of expressive black currant and baking spice flavors in the mouth, with chewy tannins and an herbal lift on the finish."
- Item #: i_228560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The complex aromas of dried cherry, blackberry bramble, orange peel, cherry tobacco, cedar, sandalwood, cardamom, pink peppercorn and forest floor give a decidedly autumn impression. Amazingly silky across the palate with sweet red fruits on the mid-palate, plenty of fine textured tannins and a long toasty finish. This is one of the most elegant and approachable Hanzell Vineyards Pinot Noirs in recent memory."
- Item #: i_253630Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Mount Peak story begins more than a century ago at the celebrated Monte Rosso Vineyard (one of the truly great vineyards in Sonoma County) and culminates with the revival of Mount Peak Winery, a vistige of one of California's ghost wineries. These wines are inspired by this great place, and the new owners pay tribute to the extraordinary winery that once stood there by capturing its enduring spirit in the wine.
Mount Peak's "Sentinel" Cabernet Sauvignon is named for the shield-shaped block that pays a watchful eye to the entrance to Monte Rosso Vineyard. It's a muscular and intense wine with rich, deep tannins and mouthfilling, concentrated fruit. Aromas of ripe dark currants mingle with hints of brown sugar and sweet mint. Flavors of blackberry and cherry are woven through anise and toasted cedar, echoing in a long finish that is framed with notes of sweet cream. This wine has tremendous aging potential.
ROBERT PARKER 92+ POINTS - "The Mount Peak Winery is named after the original ghost winery that was on the Monte Rosso property, now owned by the Gallo family. The three wines I tasted are super-impressive, powerful, rich and concentrated."
"Lastly, 4,750 cases were made of the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Sentinel, 83% from the Monte Rosso Vineyard in Sonoma and the rest from other Sonoma sources. It is a blend of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon and 3% Petite Sirah aged in 53% new French oak. Again, ripeness is well-noted in the 15.7% alcohol, but there is not a bit of heat to the wine's overall character. A wine of considerable stature, gravitas, intensity and full-bodied power, it is muscular, backward and somewhat primordial, this wine needs a good 1-2 more years bottle age and should last for 25-30 years."
- Item #: i_270700Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 97+ROBERT PARKER 97+ POINTS - "This winery, one of the gems of the Kendall-Jackson portfolio of boutique wineries, debuted in 1998 and has been hitting on all cylinders since. I suspect top priority is given to Bordelais winemaker Pierre Seillan's choice of the finest fruit he can find from Jackson's holdings in Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Knights Valley."
"The 2014 La Joie has a spicy black purple color and a big, sweet kiss of camphor, black truffle, pen ink, blackcurrants and unsmoked cigar tobacco, followed by layers of fruit and glycerin in an opulent, beautifully savory, pure and multidimensional wine. The final blend Seillan produced in 2014 was 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc and 2% Petit Verdot. This is a compellingly great effort once again. It should be given 2-5 years of bottle age, then drunk over the following three decades."
- Item #: i_270980Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 98ROBERT PARKER 98 POINTS - "This winery, one of the gems of the Kendall-Jackson portfolio of boutique wineries, debuted in 1998 and has been hitting on all cylinders since. I suspect top priority is given to Bordelais winemaker Pierre Seillan's choice of the finest fruit he can find from Jackson's holdings in Alexander Valley, Chalk Hill and Knights Valley."
"The 2014 Le Desir (53% Cabernet Franc, 21% Merlot, 21% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Malbec) has an inky purple color and a sweet kiss of chocolate, black truffle, forest floor, black raspberry and black currants. Opulent, but again structured and super-dense and pure, this is another massively concentrated wine meant for the long haul (and for our grandchildren). Give it 4-6 years of cellaring and drink it over the following 35-40 years. Remarkably, Pierre Seillan told me that 2014, while a drought year, was not actually that hot in the micro-terroirs he was working, but in terms of quality, it turned out to be the most surprisingly positive vintage he’s ever witnessed."