- Item #: i_277843Bottle Size: 750MLAdelaida's distinct family owned vineyards lie in the craggy hillside terrain of Paso Robles' Adelaida District, 14 miles from the Pacific coast. Ranging from 1400 – 2000 feet in elevation these low yielding vines are chal-lenged by chalky limestone soils and afternoon blasts of cool marine air, and a diurnal temperature swing of 40-50 degrees.
Long a benchmark for "Paso Cabs", Viking Vineyard's mountain fruit has the racy vibrancy of blue and red berries and the savory, structured tannins of its characteristic small berries. The wine walks the fashion runway of flavors, from red currants to black raspberries, from cedar-wood to graphite minerality, finishing energetically with notes of mocha and vanilla spice.
- Item #: i_211330Bottle Size: 750mlEach year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge is a tribute to the large white oyster fossils that are abundant in their estate Margarita Vineyard, fostering the type of calcium-rich soils coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2017 vintage is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (80%), Petit Verdot (10%), Malbec (5%), Cabernet Franc (4%) and Merlot (1%), all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2017 Oyster Ridge exemplifies Paso Robles' growing renown as an elite region for Cabernet Sauvignon. The aroma profile presents a captivating intermingling of red fruits, blueberry and black currant with accents of mint, forest floor and toasted oak. An extravagantly deep palate cascades with luxurious layers of blackberry, boysenberry, black olive, chocolate, tobacco and cedar, all underpinned by hints of eucalyptus and baking spice. A plush, seamless texture exhibits a sleek sense of minerality, while firm, chewy tannins add a powerful touch to a seemingly endless finish.
- Item #: i_211220Bottle Size: 750mlThe Ancient Peaks Cabernet Sauvignon comes blocks planted where the sloping terrain straddles rocky sedimentary and shale soils. These soils promote naturally low vigor for the development of intensely flavored fruit. Cold soaked for 48 hours prior to fermentation for a gentle extraction of color and flavor, the wine was racked to a combination of French and American oak barrels, where it aged for 18 months prior to blending and bottling. Small lots of Malbec and Syrah were incorporated into the final blend for added dimension.
The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon offers warm aromas of blueberry, plum and toasted oak along with classic varietal notes of graphite and black olive. The texture is plump and juicy, cascading across the palate with flavors of black currant and fresh red berries accentuated by hints of roast coffee, anise, tobacco and mineral. Sleek acidity paves the way for an elegant finish framed by smooth tannins.
2017 Cabernet Sauvignon
90 Points - Wine & Spirits
93 Points - Tasting Panel
- Item #: i_202670Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90 POINTS - "(aged in a 50/50 combination of French and American oak, 35 percent of it new) Inky ruby. Ripe cherry, dark berries and a hint of vanilla on the perfumed nose. Sweet, seamless dark fruit, mocha and spicecake flavors put on weight and gain energy with air. Rich yet lively; a peppery element adds cut to the long, focused finish, and fine-grained tannins add grip."
- Item #: i_214880Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97 PointsThe greatness of DAOU Mountain was foretold many decades ago when renowned winemaking authority Andre Tchelistcheff hailed it as "A JEWEL OF ECOLOGICAL ELEMENTS."
The calcareous clay soil here is comparable to Bordeaux's Right Bank, while the buffered Pacific microclimate is similar to Saint Helena-- a perfect confluence of elements. DAOU Mountain is blessed with extraordinary phenolic output, yielding some of the darkest, most deeply textured wines in the world. These wines are never acidified, as the ideal level of acidity comes naturally.
"Our wines are natural and pure: handpicked, hand-made and always free of artificial additives." All fruit from DAOU Mountain is handpicked, then sorted both by human eye and cutting-edge optical technology to ensure absolute fruit purity. Using only 100 percent free run juice, Winemaker Daniel Daou initiates fermentation with native yeasts cultivated from the estate. Each fermentation is customized by measuring phenolic composition and using sensory analysis, enabling Daniel to orchestrate natural balance and texture.
"We are committed to multifaceted sustainable practices that have earned our vineyard SIP (Sustainability in Practice) certification. The flavors and aromas you experience in DAOU wines originate from the earth and are poured into each bottle with an acute mindfulness for human and environmental well-being. ”
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion is a blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc and 8% Petit Verdot aged 22 months in 100% new French oak. It has a deep ruby-purple color and wonderfully unique expression, with scents of forest floor, underbrush, English breakfast tea, espresso, blackcurrant bud, dark chocolate and exotic flowers mingling over a core of perfectly ripe wild blackberries and Morello cherries, all complemented by a classy framing of new oak spices. The medium to full-bodied palate is slow to unfurl, with a frame like liquid silk and a very long finish that gives up layer after layer of nuanced flavors. Wow!"
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion offers a forward, bona fide fruit bomb style yet has plenty of class. A sweet nose of cassis, Asian spice, cedar box, and chocolate gives way to a full-bodied, hedonistic 2017 that stays balanced and layered. This cuvee always delivers and the 2017 is just an incredible drink."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95-96 POINTS - "Inky ruby. Primary dark berry, cherry pit and pipe tobacco aromas are complemented by hints of vanillin oak, mocha and baking spices. Broad and fleshy in the mouth, offering sweet black cherry and cassis flavors and suggestions of dark chocolate, espresso and vanilla. Becomes smokier with air and finishes with superb clarity and strong, spicy persistence. (raised in new French oak barrels for 22 months)"
- Item #: i_214835Bottle Size: 375ml**Please note, this is a half sized bottleFamily owned and operated, DAOU is committed to producing collectible, world-class wines to rival the most respected appellations in the world. Situated on a 212-acre hilltop estate in the Adelaida District of Paso Robles, their remarkable geology, favorable microclimate, and high elevation were once described by renowned California winemaker Andre Tchelistcheff as "a jewel of ecological elements." As stewards of this beautiful terroir, DAOU's goal is to make unique fine wines that honestly and accurately reflect the potential of the estate and to craft wines that combine Old World tradition with New World techniques.
The 2018 vintage shows characteristics that are rich and sophisticated on the nose with currant, black cherry, cedar and eucalyptus, and displays undertones of briary blackberry and wet gravel. Ancillary aromas of coffee and cocoa are rounded out nicely with notes of crushed sage and baking spice. Full bodied and formidable on the palate, offering enticing and juicy wild blackberry, Oregon blueberry and crisp black cherry flavors. Hints of plum and mulberry are accentuated with fig, black olives and fine leather. Excellent structure and harmony between the pure fruit core and firm, supple backbone of polished tannins. Finish is surprisingly elegant for a wine of such power. Silky and smooth, ending on lovely notes of sweet cherry and boysenberry.
- Item #: i_214800Bottle Size: 750mlFamily owned and operated, DAOU is committed to producing collectible, world-class wines to rival the most respected appellations in the world. Situated on a 212-acre hilltop estate in the Adelaida District of Paso Robles, their remarkable geology, favorable microclimate, and high elevation were once described by renowned California winemaker Andre Tchelistcheff as "a jewel of ecological elements." As stewards of this beautiful terroir, DAOU's goal is to make unique fine wines that honestly and accurately reflect the potential of the estate and to craft wines that combine Old World tradition with New World techniques.
The 2019 Cabernet Sauvignon has a rich and compelling nose of blackberry, cassis, smoky leather and dried herbs is enhanced with layers of plum and cherry, cocoa and sandalwood. Notes of pencil lead and crushed rock mingle with subtle nuances of sage and menthol. Bold and full bodied, this wine is structured firmly around a solid core of boysenberry and cherry fruit. Supple, ripe tannins provide ample backbone for the layers of boysenberry, black cherry, licorice and dried herb flavors. Fleshy and weighty on the palate while retaining balance and finesse, it finishes long and clean with lingering notes of plum and blackberry.
- Item #: i_214890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "A blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Petit Verdot, 10% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc, the 2017 Mother Of Exiles is deep ruby-purple and opens with milk chocolate and cassis aromas, fleshing out to Morello cherries, cast-iron pan and a very classy frame of sweet spices. The full-bodied palate is rich and intense with ripe, spicy fruits, finely pixelated tannins and seamless freshness, finishing very long. This is lovely, and it merits at least another 2-3 years in bottle."
- Item #: i_274343Bottle Size: 750mlEberle's Vineyard Selection Cabernet Sauvignon displays 100% varietal characteristics blended from several distinguished Paso Robles vineyards, including the Eberle Estate Vineyard. This well-balanced Cabernet has a silky mouthfeel with flavors and aromas of blackberry jam, ripe plums, and toasty oak with a dry lingering finish. Our Vineyard Selection Cabernet Sauvignon is so approachable that can you enjoy it by the glass or with hearty fare.
- Item #: i_230310Bottle Size: 750mlEnd Post is brought to us by our friends at Adelaida in Paso Robles, and while there are some things we could tell you (like how it's fermented, the oak, yadda, yadda, yadda), the main thing you need to know is that from the first sip, we KNEW this was a winner! Opaque garnet/purple in color, this shows black and red fruits on the nose as it opens, with cassis, pomegranate and cherry, leading to anisette, violets, chestnut and cocoa aromas. The attack on the palate is full-on expansive and seductive, with rich blackberry, cherry and framboise that intermingles with vanilla, nutmeg and a hint of spice. The tannins are plush, the acidity is good and the wine is impossible to resist!
- Item #: i_207245Bottle Size: 1.5LA few years ago, we brought you a gem of a Cabernet from Paso Robles called Cane and Fable. This wine was one of the biggest hits this store had ever seen. In fact, while this wine was sold out since early spring, we were still getting requests for this wine well into summer! Well, we are pleased to announce the fourth release of Cane and Fable's Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon! The talented winemaker crafting this wine is Curt Schlachlin. Curt is winemaker at Sans Liege, known for his high-scoring yet affordable wines.
This is every bit as good as the previous releases, maybe just a bit more structured and black-fruited. The wine greets you with a dark garnet color with purple accents, along with scents of lush blueberry, boysenberry, currants, and memories of your grandfather's briar-wood pipe. As the flavors begin to march across your palate, it imparts hints of sweet plums, red and black cherries, vanilla, herbs, earth, warm cedar planks, and freshly ground spices. Every little sip leaves you comfortable, content, and just feeling like you "stole" this wine for how little you paid!
- Item #: i_228180Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Petite Sirah, and 10% Malbec, Synthesis is an approachable Cabernet Sauvignon blend that has aromas of both red and black fruits and cassis, followed by flavors of black cherry and plums. Smooth and approachable, this wine is great on its own, but also pairs with virtually everything.
- Item #: i_228020Bottle Size: 750MLCabernet Sauvignon is Halter Ranch's most widely planted varietal with over one-hundred acres under vine. The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon is brimming with aromas of dark cherry, raspberry, cassis, and a hint of toasted Oak. The palate is soft and supple, with flavors of blueberry, blackberry, and a touch of caramel. The mid-palate segues into a clean, rich finish with gentle, integrated tannins.
- Item #: i_228140Bottle Size: 750mlAncestor is Halter Ranch's Bordeaux-style reserve blend, it is their flagship wine (think along the lines of Joseph Phelps' Insignia or Justin's Isosceles), and an homage to the heart and soul of their property, the Ancestor Tree. This tree is one of the largest coast live oaks on record, and is nestled amongst the vines of block eleven. A blend of 71% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Malbec, and 9% Petit Verdot, grapes were destemmed and fermented in closed top fermentors, with open pump-overs two to three times daily for an average of 16 days, then aged for 18 months in French oak barrels.
Carefully selected barrels were blended for this cuvee which offers aromas of olallieberry, Bing Cherry, and a hint of cassis. The entry is soft and juicy, with flavors of blueberry and ripe plum. The mid-palate is rich with texture and flows into a clean, long finish with hints of toasted oak.
- Item #: i_268730Bottle Size: 750mlThis is the wine that we perhaps take the greatest care in finding. Sourcing a fantastic wine at $100 is not that hard, but finding a wine of that shows character, nuance, depth, and body at the $20 price can be quite difficult. But we have always been up to the task for you, and this year, we may have found one of our best $20 Cabernets yet! Iron and Sand hails from Paso Robles, the same region that has brought us previous winners such as The Fableist, End Post, and McPrice Myers. The name is a nostalgic nod to the natural draw of the historic hot springs, Iron Spring and Sand Spring, that propelled Paso Robles into a bustling destination known as California's oldest watering place. Iron and sand are also important elements in the wine's classic Paso terroir, as the sturdy iron trellising supports the bearing vines and the alluvial, well-drained sandy soils are the perfect match for Cabernet Sauvignon.
From the very first sip of this wine, we knew we had something special in our glasses. We even opened up a second bottle at a later date (you know…for verification...wink wink) and this bottle was just as good as the first one! Dense purple in color, this wine leaps from the glass with hedonistic aromas of dark cherries, blackberry preserves, and a dusting of cocoa powder and clove. On entry, the ripe, dark fruit flavors hit the palate before giving way to a hint of earthiness and rich chocolate covered cherries complemented by lively freshness and fine tannins that lift the wine towards a long, supple, and mouthwatering finish. Wow!
- Item #: i_238220Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Cabernet Franc, 3% Saint Macaire, and 3% Malbec, this wine was aged for 20 months in 100% new French oak. Beck Vineyard, in the Creston District of Paso Robles, is a unique, high elevation site that sits at 1,700 feet above the early morning fog line. Its calcareous soils and cooling afternoon winds are perfect for growing Cabernet Sauvignon. The Cabernet from this vineyard ripens early with excellent color, purity of fruit, and phenolic maturity. Incorporation of Cabernet Franc brings freshness to the blend, while the rare Bordeaux variety, Saint-Macaire, brings density and a savory character. Malbec add structure, color, and a component of bright fruit.
- Item #: i_238120Bottle Size: 750MLHilltop Cabernet Sauvignon is grown on a handful of select vineyard sites in the Paso Robles AVA. Blessed with long summer days of intense sunshine, their near 100°F daytime temperatures are followed by chilly, ocean-cooled nights in the 50s. These Cabernet vines are naturally stressed in the dry, often very gravelly, and sometimes lime shale-laden soils. Water is at a premium in these vineyards, enabling the viticulturist to fine-tune irrigation, producing the darkest fruit with resolved tannins year after year.
- Item #: i_238130Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "The 2018 J. Lohr Estates Seven Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon is dark and dense to the rim of the glass. Layered aromas of black currant, blueberry and cherry are accentuated by an authentic barrel bouquet of hazelnut, cocoa powder, and dark roasted coffee. High-toned red berry fruit strikes the fore-palate, and follows with brigh acidity and a full structure that is both dense and soft at once."
- Item #: i_238170Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 69% Cabernet Sauvignon, 27% Petite Sirah, 2% Syrah, and 2% Malbec, the savory varietal notes of Cabernet Sauvignon are layered with the dark fruit and spice character of Petite Sirah. The bouquet of cocoa powder, caramel, and anise works in harmony with the black cherry fruit signature of this wine. Bright and focused on the palate with a firm and appetizing finish.
- Item #: i_277527Bottle Size: 750mlThis is the highest expression of Justin's winemaking abilities. The blend was always the dream concept of Justin and Deborah Baldwin, in the model of the great Bordeaux left-bank wines of Pauillac and Margaux. Over 25 years of experience have guided their winemakers to great vineyards and low yields, and to spare no expense on production equipment and French barrels, to make the finest wine of Paso Robles. Yet every vintage provides new challenges, and new attempts to drive excellence in a cellarable but immediately delicious blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot.
This year's blend is comprised of 83% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Cabernet Franc, and 8% Merlot. The wine has a dark ruby/purple/black core, with lighter ruby/purple toward the rim with moderate plus viscosity and slow forming, moderately stained tears. Highly aromatic and complex with lush, ripe black cherry, black currant and boysenberry with vanilla, cinnamon spice, sweet tobacco and savory notes of leather, camphor and cedar. Full bodied and luxuriant with ripe black fruit, mostly cherry and black currant with mixed ripe berries and barrel spice on entry. The mid-palate features continued fruit with subtle savory elements of autumn leaf, leather, and cedar with rounded, plush tannins that extend into a long finish featuring black cherry and camphor notes.
- Item #: i_233330Bottle Size: 750mlDark purple in color with a ruby core that lightens at the rim and moderately stained, pronounced tears form on the glass. This wine is aromatic with ripe black and red cherry, blackcurrant and berry fruit, baking spice and sweet tobacco with red and black licorice, oak, cocoa and subtle camphor notes.
- Item #: i_277570Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Lastly, the 2017 Estate Cuvee shows the effects of the heat spikes and has some firm, angular tannins that are buffered by lots of blackcurrant fruit. It has classic graphite, licorice, and lead pencil aromas, medium to full body, and good length, yet it's certainly not going to make you forget this brilliant 2016. Nevertheless, my money is on it being an outstanding wine."