- Item #: i_277843Bottle Size: 750MLAdelaida's distinct family owned vineyards lie in the craggy hillside terrain of Paso Robles' Adelaida District, 14 miles from the Pacific coast. Ranging from 1400 – 2000 feet in elevation these low yielding vines are chal-lenged by chalky limestone soils and afternoon blasts of cool marine air, and a diurnal temperature swing of 40-50 degrees.
Long a benchmark for "Paso Cabs", Viking Vineyard's mountain fruit has the racy vibrancy of blue and red berries and the savory, structured tannins of its characteristic small berries. The wine walks the fashion runway of flavors, from red currants to black raspberries, from cedar-wood to graphite minerality, finishing energetically with notes of mocha and vanilla spice.
- Item #: i_211280Bottle Size: 750mlEach year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge honors an outcropping that always astonishes visitors to their estate Margarita Vineyard. Here, large white oyster fossils are literally spilling out of the ground, fostering the type of calcium-rich soil that is coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2016 vintage is a blend of 51% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Merlot, 9% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec, all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2016 Oyster Ridge offers a sumptuous bouquet of black berry and black currant with notes of creme de cassis, violets, vanilla bean, cedar and graphite. On the palate, the wine is exquisitely dense and integrated, showing chewy layers of black fruits interwoven with accents of caramel, mint, cinnamon spice and new oak. Fine-grained tannins and sleek acidity bring a resounding conclusion to what is nothing less than a blockbuster vintage for Oyster Ridge. This is a wine that will generously evolve in the bottle for years to come.
2016 Oyster Ridge
93 Points - Wine Enthusiast
93 Points - Tasting Panel
92 Points - Vinous
- Item #: i_211330Bottle Size: 750mlEach year, Ancient Peaks crafts the limited-edition Oyster Ridge cuvee to exemplify their finest winemaking efforts. The name Oyster Ridge is a tribute to the large white oyster fossils that are abundant in their estate Margarita Vineyard, fostering the type of calcium-rich soils coveted by winemakers worldwide. The 2017 vintage is a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (80%), Petit Verdot (10%), Malbec (5%), Cabernet Franc (4%) and Merlot (1%), all from meticulously farmed vineyard blocks cultivated for the Oyster Ridge program.
The 2017 Oyster Ridge exemplifies Paso Robles' growing renown as an elite region for Cabernet Sauvignon. The aroma profile presents a captivating intermingling of red fruits, blueberry and black currant with accents of mint, forest floor and toasted oak. An extravagantly deep palate cascades with luxurious layers of blackberry, boysenberry, black olive, chocolate, tobacco and cedar, all underpinned by hints of eucalyptus and baking spice. A plush, seamless texture exhibits a sleek sense of minerality, while firm, chewy tannins add a powerful touch to a seemingly endless finish.
- Item #: i_211220Bottle Size: 750mlThe Ancient Peaks Cabernet Sauvignon comes blocks planted where the sloping terrain straddles rocky sedimentary and shale soils. These soils promote naturally low vigor for the development of intensely flavored fruit. Cold soaked for 48 hours prior to fermentation for a gentle extraction of color and flavor, the wine was racked to a combination of French and American oak barrels, where it aged for 18 months prior to blending and bottling. Small lots of Malbec and Syrah were incorporated into the final blend for added dimension.
The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon offers warm aromas of blueberry, plum and toasted oak along with classic varietal notes of graphite and black olive. The texture is plump and juicy, cascading across the palate with flavors of black currant and fresh red berries accentuated by hints of roast coffee, anise, tobacco and mineral. Sleek acidity paves the way for an elegant finish framed by smooth tannins.
2017 Cabernet Sauvignon
90 Points - Wine & Spirits
93 Points - Tasting Panel
- Item #: i_202670Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 90ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 90 POINTS - "(aged in a 50/50 combination of French and American oak, 35 percent of it new) Inky ruby. Ripe cherry, dark berries and a hint of vanilla on the perfumed nose. Sweet, seamless dark fruit, mocha and spicecake flavors put on weight and gain energy with air. Rich yet lively; a peppery element adds cut to the long, focused finish, and fine-grained tannins add grip."
- Item #: i_214835Bottle Size: 375mlVinous Media: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 90**Please note, this is a half sized bottleANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 91 POINTS - "(60% new French oak) Deep bright-rimmed ruby. Intense cherry and red berry scents, along with hints of cracked pepper, pipe tobacco and vanilla. Juicy and focused on the palate, offering concentrated red currant, bitter cherry and spicecake flavors that deepen slowly and turn sweeter on the back half. Fine-grained tannins build on a long, spice-laced finish that leaves behind a suggestion of cherry compote. In the context of top-notch California Cabernets, this wine delivers remarkable value."
JEB DUNNUCK 90 POINTS - "Bottle two weeks ago, the 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon offers classic notes of blackcurrants, tobacco, licorice, and smoke herbs, and as with the Pessimist, it's a whole lot of wine for not much buck."
- Item #: i_214810Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2017 Bodyguard is a sleek yet powerful blend of 60% Petit Verdot and 40% Petite Sirah, displaying both opulence and structure. This wine presents fragrant fruit aromas of blackberry, raspberry, currant and creme de cassis. Notes of cocoa, coffee, dark chocolate, licorice and sweet cherry pipe tobacco are rounded out with whispers of truffle, toffee, mocha and menthol. A juicy, fleshy palate offers bright, generous flavors of cherry, cranberry, strawberry and blueberry tinged with black raspberry and tamarind—all supported by underlying accents of dusty leather, pencil shavings, cigar box and crushed herbs. An elegantly styled and beautifully structured finish reverberates with focused energy, vibrant berry fruit and ripe, polished tannins.
- Item #: i_214880Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Vinous Media: 95-96Jeb Dunnuck: 97The greatness of DAOU Mountain was foretold many decades ago when renowned winemaking authority Andre Tchelistcheff hailed it as "A JEWEL OF ECOLOGICAL ELEMENTS."
The calcareous clay soil here is comparable to Bordeaux's Right Bank, while the buffered Pacific microclimate is similar to Saint Helena-- a perfect confluence of elements. DAOU Mountain is blessed with extraordinary phenolic output, yielding some of the darkest, most deeply textured wines in the world. These wines are never acidified, as the ideal level of acidity comes naturally.
"Our wines are natural and pure: handpicked, hand-made and always free of artificial additives." All fruit from DAOU Mountain is handpicked, then sorted both by human eye and cutting-edge optical technology to ensure absolute fruit purity. Using only 100 percent free run juice, Winemaker Daniel Daou initiates fermentation with native yeasts cultivated from the estate. Each fermentation is customized by measuring phenolic composition and using sensory analysis, enabling Daniel to orchestrate natural balance and texture.
"We are committed to multifaceted sustainable practices that have earned our vineyard SIP (Sustainability in Practice) certification. The flavors and aromas you experience in DAOU wines originate from the earth and are poured into each bottle with an acute mindfulness for human and environmental well-being. ”
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 97 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion is a blend of 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Cabernet Franc and 8% Petit Verdot aged 22 months in 100% new French oak. It has a deep ruby-purple color and wonderfully unique expression, with scents of forest floor, underbrush, English breakfast tea, espresso, blackcurrant bud, dark chocolate and exotic flowers mingling over a core of perfectly ripe wild blackberries and Morello cherries, all complemented by a classy framing of new oak spices. The medium to full-bodied palate is slow to unfurl, with a frame like liquid silk and a very long finish that gives up layer after layer of nuanced flavors. Wow!"
JEB DUNNUCK 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Soul Of A Lion offers a forward, bona fide fruit bomb style yet has plenty of class. A sweet nose of cassis, Asian spice, cedar box, and chocolate gives way to a full-bodied, hedonistic 2017 that stays balanced and layered. This cuvee always delivers and the 2017 is just an incredible drink."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 95-96 POINTS - "Inky ruby. Primary dark berry, cherry pit and pipe tobacco aromas are complemented by hints of vanillin oak, mocha and baking spices. Broad and fleshy in the mouth, offering sweet black cherry and cassis flavors and suggestions of dark chocolate, espresso and vanilla. Becomes smokier with air and finishes with superb clarity and strong, spicy persistence. (raised in new French oak barrels for 22 months)"
- Item #: i_214800Bottle Size: 750mlFamily owned and operated, DAOU is committed to producing collectible, world-class wines to rival the most respected appellations in the world. Situated on a 212-acre hilltop estate in the Adelaida District of Paso Robles, their remarkable geology, favorable microclimate, and high elevation were once described by renowned California winemaker Andre Tchelistcheff as "a jewel of ecological elements." As stewards of this beautiful terroir, DAOU's goal is to make unique fine wines that honestly and accurately reflect the potential of the estate and to craft wines that combine Old World tradition with New World techniques.
The 2018 vintage shows characteristics that are rich and sophisticated on the nose with currant, black cherry, cedar and eucalyptus, and displays undertones of briary blackberry and wet gravel. Ancillary aromas of coffee and cocoa are rounded out nicely with notes of crushed sage and baking spice. Full bodied and formidable on the palate, offering enticing and juicy wild blackberry, Oregon blueberry and crisp black cherry flavors. Hints of plum and mulberry are accentuated with fig, black olives and fine leather. Excellent structure and harmony between the pure fruit core and firm, supple backbone of polished tannins. Finish is surprisingly elegant for a wine of such power. Silky and smooth, ending on lovely notes of sweet cherry and boysenberry.
- Item #: i_214890Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "A blend of 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 18% Petit Verdot, 10% Merlot and 2% Cabernet Franc, the 2017 Mother Of Exiles is deep ruby-purple and opens with milk chocolate and cassis aromas, fleshing out to Morello cherries, cast-iron pan and a very classy frame of sweet spices. The full-bodied palate is rich and intense with ripe, spicy fruits, finely pixelated tannins and seamless freshness, finishing very long. This is lovely, and it merits at least another 2-3 years in bottle."
- Item #: i_274343Bottle Size: 750mlEberle's Vineyard Selection Cabernet Sauvignon displays 100% varietal characteristics blended from several distinguished Paso Robles vineyards, including the Eberle Estate Vineyard. This well-balanced Cabernet has a silky mouthfeel with flavors and aromas of blackberry jam, ripe plums, and toasty oak with a dry lingering finish. Our Vineyard Selection Cabernet Sauvignon is so approachable that can you enjoy it by the glass or with hearty fare.
- Item #: i_230310Bottle Size: 750mlEnd Post is brought to us by our friends at Adelaida in Paso Robles, and while there are some things we could tell you (like how it's fermented, the oak, yadda, yadda, yadda), the main thing you need to know is that from the first sip, we KNEW this was a winner! Opaque garnet/purple in color, this shows black and red fruits on the nose as it opens, with cassis, pomegranate and cherry, leading to anisette, violets, chestnut and cocoa aromas. The attack on the palate is full-on expansive and seductive, with rich blackberry, cherry and framboise that intermingles with vanilla, nutmeg and a hint of spice. The tannins are plush, the acidity is good and the wine is impossible to resist!
- Item #: i_228020Bottle Size: 750MLCabernet Sauvignon is Halter Ranch's most widely planted varietal with over one-hundred acres under vine. The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon possesses a classic profile with aromas of red and black currants and graphite. Bright and fresh on the palate, this wine has flavors of red fruits and black cherries. A balanced mid-palate and well-integrated tannins lead to a long seamless finish. Delicious now, this wine will continue to develop for years to come. Pair with wood-fired pizza, braised game, and roasted or grilled meats.
- Item #: i_228140Bottle Size: 750mlAncestor is Halter Ranch's Bordeaux-style reserve blend, it is their flagship wine (think along the lines of Joseph Phelps' Insignia or Justin's Isosceles), and an homage to the heart and soul of their property, the Ancestor Tree. This tree is one of the largest coast live oaks on record, and is nestled amongst the vines of block eleven. A blend of 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Petit Verdot, and 15% Malbec, grapes were destemmed and fermented in closed top fermentors, with open pump-overs two to three times daily for an average of 16 days, then aged for 18 months in French oak barrels.
Carefully selected barrels were blended for this cuvee which offers aromas of berry compote and baking spices. Rich and powerful, flavors of boysenberry, cassis, and graphite with a long silky mouthfeel that leads to a well-structured finish. Ancestor pairs well with beef, lamb, and game. Enjoy now, or set aside for a special occasion, as this wine will develop beautifully for years to come.
- Item #: i_228180Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Petite Sirah, and 10% Malbec, Synthesis is an approachable Cabernet Sauvignon blend that has aromas of both red and black fruits and cassis, followed by flavors of black cherry and plums. Smooth and approachable, this wine is great on its own, but also pairs with virtually everything.
- Item #: i_238220Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST 97 POINTS - "Dense in the glass, this top-tier Cabernet Sauvignon includes small additions of Saint-Macaire, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot and Malbec. Elegant layers of black currant, black cherry, milk chocolate and cappuccino show on the nose. An expertly chiseled structure is immediately apparent on the palate, where rich and deep yet balanced flavors of black-cherry cream and mocha latte prove luxurious."
- Item #: i_238120Bottle Size: 750MLHilltop Cabernet Sauvignon is grown on a handful of select vineyard sites in the Paso Robles AVA. Blessed with long summer days of intense sunshine, their near 100°F daytime temperatures are followed by chilly, ocean-cooled nights in the 50s. These Cabernet vines are naturally stressed in the dry, often very gravelly, and sometimes lime shale-laden soils. Water is at a premium in these vineyards, enabling the viticulturist to fine-tune irrigation, producing the darkest fruit with resolved tannins year after year.
- Item #: i_238170Bottle Size: 750mlComprised primarily of Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah, with smaller amounts of Merlot, Petit Verdot, and Malbec.
- Item #: i_238130Bottle Size: 375ML**Please note, this is a half sized bottleWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "The 2018 J. Lohr Estates Seven Oaks Cabernet Sauvignon is dark and dense to the rim of the glass. Layered aromas of black currant, blueberry and cherry are accentuated by an authentic barrel bouquet of hazelnut, cocoa powder, and dark roasted coffee. High-toned red berry fruit strikes the fore-palate, and follows with brigh acidity and a full structure that is both dense and soft at once."
- Item #: i_233640Bottle Size: 750mlYup...you read that right...ISOSCELES RESERVE!!!
A blend of 82% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, and 4% Malbec aged for 24 months in French oak. This wine has a bright, deep almost opaque purple ruby core lightening to medium intensity with more ruby color at the rim. Swirling the glass gives slow forming, well-stained tears on the glass. It's very aromatic with black cherry jam, blackcurrant and a little boysenberry fruit mixed with toasted oak, vanilla and cinnamon spice complemented by savory cedar, sweet tobacco and graphite notes. Full bodied, rich and impressive on the entry with a ripe black cherry and blackcurrant jam core with ripe a berry accent mixed with layers of baking spice and toasty oak elements. Savory dried autumn leaf, graphite and cedar notes with some dusty cocoa appear on the fresh midpalate balanced by firm, chewy tannins that lead into the extremely long finish with lingering ripe fruit, continuing savory notes, a little chocolate and a subtle floral note all wrapped in sustained tannins that will remain prominent for a few years.
- Item #: i_233630Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Cabernet Franc, and 7% Merlot aged for 21 months in 100% new French oak, the 2016 Isosceles has a dark ruby/purple core, lighter in color toward the rim. Moderate plus viscosity with slow forming, slightly stained tears. Highly aromatic with ripe black cherry and cassis fruit, vanilla and cinnamon spice with cedar, graphite, dried autumn leaf and licorice notes over an attractive toasted oak background. Dry and full-bodied on the palate with ripe, complex black fruit of cherry and blackcurrants layered with baking spice on the entry. The mid palate has continuing ripe fruit with savory dried leaf elements, cedar, anise, camphor and a bit of cocoa surrounded with firm, chewy tannins and sweet spice notes that add complexity as the palate evolves. Sustained fruit, spice and savory elements mix through a very long, complex and fresh finish with lingering tannins.
- Item #: i_233330Bottle Size: 750mlDark purple in color with a ruby core that lightens at the rim and moderately stained, pronounced tears form on the glass. This wine is aromatic with ripe black and red cherry, blackcurrant and berry fruit, baking spice and sweet tobacco with red and black licorice, oak, cocoa and subtle camphor notes.
- Item #: i_277570Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92JEB DUNNUCK 92-94 POINTS - "Consistently thrilling wines come from l'Aventure, which is run with incredible talent and passion by St. Emilion native Stephan Asseo. His 2016s are incredible efforts, and the 2017 more Rhone blends are certainly in the same ballpark. Due to the heat spikes at harvest, Bordeaux varieties were much more difficult and hit or miss."
"Lastly, the 2017 Estate Cuvee shows the effects of the heat spikes and has some firm, angular tannins that are buffered by lots of blackcurrant fruit. It has classic graphite, licorice, and lead pencil aromas, medium to full body, and good length, yet it's certainly not going to make you forget this brilliant 2016. Nevertheless, my money is on it being an outstanding wine."
- Item #: i_234540Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 94JEB DUNNUCK 94+ POINTS - "The 2016 First Tracks is an interesting blend of 48% Petit Verdot, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 24% Syrah. It has lots of black and blue fruits as well as crushed rock-like minerality and plenty of pepper, meaty, earthy aromas and flavors. Concentrated, structured, and just a big, beefy wine, hide bottles for 3-4 years and it should evolve for over a decade."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "A blend of 48% Petit Verdot, 28% Cabernet Sauvignon and 24% Syrah aged 22 months in 57% new oak, the opaque ruby-purple colored 2016 First Tracks needs a bit of coaxing to reveal kirsch, blueberry coulis, roasted plum and red berry jam aromas with accents of nori, saline, blue flowers and granite. Full-bodied, it manages to be ultra fruity and minerally at once, powerful and powdery, fresh and long. Give this another 3-5 years in bottle."
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 93 POINTS - "Deep lurid ruby. Heady, exotic aromas of ripe black and blue fruits, incense, roasted coffee and smoky minerals, with a building vanilla note in the background. Sweet and broad on the palate, offering intense black currant, cherry-vanilla and fruitcake flavors that are braced by a core of juicy acidity. Hangs on with strong tenacity on the impressively long finish, which features dusty tannins and an echo of sappy dark fruit. 57% new French oak."