- Item #: i_207520Bottle Size: 750MLCakebread's classic Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon reveals aromas of ripe blackberry and boysenberry with hints of dark chocolate and sweet oak. On the palate, the dark fruit is balanced by fresh acidity and lush tannins that carry all the way over a lingering, elegant finish—with just a kiss of minerality. Enjoy this wine now, with everything from lamb burgers to filet mignon and fire-roasted portabello mushrooms—or lay the wine down and watch it continue to develop complexity in the bottle for years to come.
- Item #: i_210410Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 93+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93+ POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Signature is a blend of 85% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Petit Verdot and 5% Malbec. It was harvested from September 18 to October 30, and the alcohol weighed in at 14.5%. Deep garnet-purple in color, exuberant notes of warm plums, ripe black and red currants and black cherries come bounding out of the glass with suggestions of cedar chest, unsmoked cigars and beef drippings. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is simply singing with juicy black fruits and velvety tannins, finishing long with some baking spice hints coming through. Open for business now, this wine can easily be cellared for 20 years or more."
- Item #: i_210430Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of 44% Cabernet Sauvignon, 33% Merlot, 10% Malbec, 8% Petit Verdot, and 5% Cabernet Franc, this alluringly dark and spicy wine displays beautiful aromas of currant, cassis, sage and thyme, as well as hints of cinnamon and clove from barrel aging. On the palate, the tannins are impeccably balanced, adding depth to the lush ripe berry flavors, with layers of cola and grenadine emerging as the wine evolves in the glass.
- Item #: i_220010Bottle Size: 750mlCrafted by perhaps the #1 undiscovered talent in Napa today, winemaker Benoit Touguette, was Andy Erickson's right hand man, managing day-to-day wine production at Screaming Eagle during the 2005/2006 vintages (both 98 points) and the legendary 2007 vintage (100 points). Benoit also happens to be the French protege of world-famous winemaker Michel Rolland and assisted him along with Andy Erickson in launching Ovid. Today, Benoit is leveraging his substantial talent and connections in Napa to craft just five barrels of a glorious micro-production Cabernet under his new personal label he calls Fait Main which means "hand-crafted" in French. The fruit for this Cabernet Sauvignon comes from prime vineyards in Pritchard Hill, Saint Helena, Calistoga, Oakville, and Yountville.
- Item #: i_219740Bottle Size: 750mlPlease Note: This is the Napa Valley bottling; NOT the Oakville!!
This wine combines select vineyards in Rutherford, Calistoga, and St. Helena that complement Far Niente's home in Oakville, and embody their long-established house style. Cabernet has been a hallmark of Far Niente's winemaking program beginning with its very first vintage in 1982. The marriage of these diverse vineyard sites has allowed them to craft their finest expression of Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine exemplifies their nearly four decades of mastery in growing and making Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.
An elegant perfume of mixed berries, baking spice, dried lavender, and thyme open onto a full palate layered with expansive mixed berry, black tea, toasted oak and spice flavors. Focused and fresh, fine grained tannins support the wine throughout, while the finish is silky, long, and lifted.
- Item #: i_219670Bottle Size: 750MLJames Suckling: 94When the 2018 rendition of this wine landed, we just had to crack open a bottle, and once we did, we knew immediately that this would be featured on our top wine list! Faust is owned by the Huneeus family, who also owns Quintessa, Flowers, and Leviathan. Faust was originally designed to be the second label for Quintessa’s Rutherford property, but the Huneeus family eventually found exquisite property in the Coombsville area east of Napa proper, and now it is that vineyard in Coombsville that makes up the majority of the wine.
Both the newest in Napa Valley and the furthest south, Coombsville benefits from ancient volcanic soils, marine breezes coming off the nearby San Pablo Bay, as well as a long and cool growing season due to its location in the valley. Besides being the latest-to-ripen vines in Napa, the soil profiles are very different given it’s closer to the Vaca Mountain range, so there is a lot of eroded volcanic soil, which means, lots of minerals in the soil. In Coombsville, you get more intense color, a blue-black fruit profile, a brighter acidity and minerality in the wines, and the wines are VERY unique.
Earning 94 points from James Suckling, this shows the high quality of the 2018 vintage from Napa. Medium to deep ruby in color, the wine struts its stuff with a bit of aeration to display aromas of toasted oak, cinnamon, dark chocolate, blackcurrants, and plums. On the palate, the firm tannins give way to the intense, rich fruit, driven by flavors of cassis, black cherries, blueberry, wild blackberry, and a hint of pencil shavings. Full-bodied, and with a finish that lasts for half a minute, this may be the best rendition of Faust we have ever encountered!
JAMES SUCKLING 94 POINTS - "Very attractive aromas of blackcurrants, black olives and dark leather with some cedar. It's full-bodied with firm, silky tannins and a refined, polished finish. Shows finesse and focus. Grows on the palate. Really delicious now, but will improve with age. Drink or hold."
- Item #: i_230190Bottle Size: 750MLMichael and James Stewart have teamed up with world-renowned winemaker Paul Hobbs to craft noteworthy Cabernet Sauvignons, Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays from California. The wines have become favorites with both customers and staff; a few years ago they came out with Hollis-- a second label to showcase their house style at a more affordable price.
Fruit forward, well balanced, with well integrated French oak, this wine is sure to be a crowd pleaser. With fruit sourced from Max Vineyard, Hollis is crafted with the help of their consulting winemaker, Paul Hobbs.
- Item #: i_234950Bottle Size: 750mlA challenge to high elevation Argentinean Malbec, Ilaria’s 2012 Malbec Dr. Reid Vineyard is a blend of 95% Malbec and 5% Cabernet Sauvignon that spent 22 months in 50% new French oak. It reveals lots of chocolate, espresso roast, blackberry and blackcurrant fruit. Full-bodied and opulent, this is one of the finest examples of Malbec we have ever tasted from Napa.
- Item #: i_250780Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91-93Jeb Dunnuck: 91ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91-93 POINTS - "Composed of 97% Cabernet Sauvignon, 1% Malbec and 2% Cabernet Franc, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon reveals vivacious notions of crushed black currants, red currant jelly, fresh blackberries and Morello cherries with touches of garrigue, bay leaves, damp soil and cedar chest. Medium-bodied, the palate is wonderfully elegant and charged with energy, featured loads of crunchy black and red fruit plus a refreshing backbone, finishing on an appealing chewy note."
JEB DUNNUCK 90-92 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley is similarly colored and has terrific notes of creme de cassis, ground herbs, earth, and tobacco. It's fresh, medium-bodied, has good concentration, beautiful balance, and fine tannins."
- Item #: i_235900Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93-95ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93-95 POINTS - "A barrel sample, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon features a deep garnet-purple, singing on the nose of freshly crushed black cherries, black berry pie and warm plums over a core of cassis and pencil lead plus nuances of violets, cinnamon stick and underbrush. Medium to full-bodied, the palate delivers mouth-coating, crunchy black fruit with a firm backbone of ripe, grainy tannins and just enough freshness, finishing long and spicy."
- Item #: i_237150Bottle Size: 750MLLail's Blueprint wines are made as a modern interpretation of the most classical Bordeaux varieties, attempting and succeeding in capturing the ever-shining sunlight of the Napa Valley to transform it into robustly flavorful wines that drink beautifully upon release. The term 'crowd pleaser' comes to mind! "Blueprint" is named after Jon Lail's highly regarded architectural design achievements. The Cabernet Sauvignon is predominately Cabernet Sauvignon with additions of Merlot and Petit Verdot. The grapes hail from properties all throughout the Napa Valley AVA. The wine is aged for roughly 18 months in French oak, of which 55% is new.
Aromatically this wine emerges from the glass with scents of blackberries, pencil lead, eucalyptus, and fine vanilla. On the palate the fruit is dark and nearly jammy, with warm baking spices and soft, well integrated tannins.
- Item #: i_237470Bottle Size: 750MLSporting some Senior-year swagger, Lewis Cellars' 2018 Mason's Cabernet is front-loaded with black plum, cherry, chocolate and cedary spice. Sourced from several of the same vineyards as our Napa Cabernet this wine is boldly fruited yet youthful with tons of juicy character and a deliciously fresh finish.
- Item #: i_237930Bottle Size: 750mlWinery's Tasting Notes: "Our 2018 Napa Valley Cabernet is deliciously well-dressed with black currants, Godiva chocolate, kidskin gloves, and plenty of gravitas. Plush fruits and fresh character are deftly woven with mocha, cedar and tobacco spices all stitched with a supple hand and topped with tidy coat-tails."
- Item #: i_232999Bottle Size: 750mlDripping with terroir; between the volcanic soils, altitude and terraced vineyards, Mount Veeder produces wines that taste unique from the rest of Napa Valley thus earning its AVA status. The small clusters of grapes grown on this mountain site produce powerful wines with depth and structure along with savory, brambly tones. Mount Veeder is nestled on the Mayacamas Mountain range that seperates Napa and Sonoma Valley. While only gaining its AVA status in the early '90s, wine production on this mountain dates back almost 50 years before the prohibition era of the 1920s. Vineyards within this AVA are all steeply terraced, carved into the side of the mountain. The steepness of the angle (up to 30 degrees) gives the vineyards benefits of more direct sunlight and better drainage.
The Mount Veeder Winery has history dating back to the '60s with its debut wine released in 1973. The vineyard was converted from a plum orchard by Michael and Arlene Bernstein after being given a bundle of vine clippings. Michael's attention was focused on planting a vineyard and theirs ended up being the first in Napa to have all 5 Bordeaux varietals planted. Since that first vintage, Mount Veeder Winery has expanded to three vineyard ranches high in the Mayacamas Mountains and continues to produce powerful, bold wines that are a true expression of this unique wine-growing region.
- Item #: i_246660Bottle Size: 750mlThe 25-acre Quarry Vineyard climbs the slopes above the Silverado Trail on the east side of Rutherford. The name comes from the old quarry that was the source of a white rock used in the ghost winery that still stands beside the vineyard. Three distinct hillside blocks, each experiencing its own unique soil and exposure, are harvested from this vineyard. The white, rocky loam soils are well drained, and the vines are of moderate vigor. Cluster and berry size varies from block to block, but all are small to moderate. This vineyard has full exposure to the afternoon sun.
From the spicy dried sage, raspberry and cedar perfume to the voluminous layers of mixed red fruit flavors underscored by hints of cocoa and forest floor, this Rutherford Cabernet stands out for its aromatics and texture. Elegant, with lifted acidity and integrated tannins, the flavors flow seamlessly across the palate into a finish that is long and distinguished.
- Item #: i_247260Bottle Size: 750MLRob Mondavi, Jr. literally learned winemaking at the knees of his father Michael, grandfather Robert and uncle Tim. As a child, he also chased winemaker Tony Coltrin around Robert Mondavi Winery, where Tony began working in 1973. Since then, Rob and Tony have pursued parallel paths in Napa Valley, immersing themselves in the culture of wine and developing a love for grape-growing and winemaking.
It is that shared passion that fuels their present-day partnership: creating the fine wines of Oberon, which honor Napa Valley and the Mondavi family's rich winemaking heritage. As a third-generation winemaker and Napa Valley native, Rob Mondavi, Jr. has always understood that the region is uniquely suited for growing classic Bordeaux varieties. With the Oberon label - originally named for the eponymous king in Shakespeare's winsome comedy A Midsummer Night's Dream - he has created high-quality Napa Valley wines to be enjoyed every day. Rob and fellow winemaker, Tony Coltrin, sourced grapes from throughout Napa Valley's finest appellations, including Rutherford, Oakville, Yountville, Chiles Valley, and Capel Valley. The climate of these regions yields grapes with the perfect balance of ripe fruit flavors and natural acidity.
By blending fruit from Napa's hillsides and valley floor, they crafted an outstanding Cab that boasts a deep, rich color, with concentrated black fruit character, rounded mouthfeel and layers of rich, complex flavors.
- Item #: i_248450Bottle Size: 750mlAged for 12 months in 39% new French oak, the 2018 Palermo shows a dark crimson with a blue band, the nose presents immediate aromas of boysenberry, currants, graphite, cedar, fir ash and vanilla. Seamless on the entry with resounding energy, the mid - palate features lush blackberry and bing cherry as well as a hint of sweet red licorice. Long, complex tannins punctu ate the finish with an elegant and tapering note of black tea.
- Item #: i_248550Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Petit Verdot, Malbec, and Merlot, a neon indigo pours into the glass and sits with a dark garnet core and a lucid cardinal tint. A boisterous nose escapes the glass with aromatics of ripe boysenberry, kirsch, mixed dark berry pie, California Coastal sagebrush and chaparral. Delectable and plush on the palate, notes of blackberry and sweet black licorice culminate in a finish of dusty tannins and ripe black plum.
- Item #: i_249850Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "A blend of 95% Cabernet Sauvignon, 4% Merlot, 0.5% Cabernet Franc and 0.5% Petit Verdot, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon has a deep garnet-purple color and savory notions of the nose of beef drippings, dried bay leaves and spice box over a core of plum preserves, warm cassis and mulberries plus a waft of cedar. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a lovely restrained, earthy character with plenty of black fruit intensity and a grainy texture, finishing with compelling freshness."
- Item #: i_277410Bottle Size: 750mlFrom its deep crimson color to its velvety texture and alluring layers of fresh blackberry, boysenberry and cassis, you can taste the warm Napa Valley sun in this luxurious Cabernet. On the palate, hints of violet, lavender and dark chocolate add to the delicious depth of this wine, with a pleasing touch of acidity bringing brightness and poise to a lush fruit-driven finish.
- Item #: i_249400Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 99While on our annual winter trip to the Napa Valley in 2013, we were invited to the "kick off" for a new winery named Pulido-Walker; they produced what was the single best wine we had on our entire trip! Mark Pulido and Donna Walker are dedicated to the perfection of every element needed to craft exceptional single-vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. Their winemaker who helps them in this venture is the highly sought-after Thomas Brown, who also crafts the high scoring wines at Schrader, Maybach, and Outpost. Thomas has received numerous 100-point scores from both Wine Advocate and Wine Spectator! This bottling comes from the Melanson Vineyard, a property nestled between boulders clinging stubbornly to the steep slopes of Pritchard Hill, east of Oakville, and among some of the most notable vineyards in the Napa Valley, such as Ovid, David Arthur, Continuum, and Chappellet.
ANTONIO GALLONI 99 POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Melanson Vineyard emerges mostly from upper blocks on this site, a striking hillside that faces Colgin, where the steep exposure can yield wines of tremendous pedigree. That is exactly what comes through here. Inky red/purplish fruit, spice, rose petal, cedar and sweet pipe tobacco meld together effortlessly, with silky tannins that wrap it all up. Bold and luscious, but with tremendous nuance, the Melanson Cabernet is a total stunner in 2018. As I have written in the past, farming here has improved tremendously in recent years. This is another superb example of the quality that this site is capable of. Winemaker Thomas Rivers Brown gave the 2018 a relatively short 10 days on the skins. I imagine he thought the site would take care of the rest. It's hard to argue with that. The 2018 is off the charts great. Don't miss it."
- Item #: i_283280Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 97+Jeb Dunnuck: 98JEB DUNNUCK 98+ POINTS - "From the estate property around the new winery in Stags Leap, the 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Moonracer (there are normally small amounts of Merlot and Cabernet Franc in the blend) offers a glorious Napa Cabernet nose of creme de cassis, lead pencil shavings, dried flowers, and chocolate that develops beautifully with time in the glass. It doesn't lose a beat on the palate either and is full-bodied, with a layered, focused texture, building structure, and a great, great finish. It's a serious, age-worthy wine that needs 4-5 years of bottle age yet will evolve like a First Growth from Bordeaux."
ANTONIO GALLONI 97+ POINTS - "The 2018 Cabernet Sauvignon Moonracer emerges from Realm's estate vineyard in Stags Leap. Inky, opulent and full-throttle, the Moonracer captures the personality of this site and vintage so well. Crème de cassis, licorice, spice, menthol, new French oak and lavender all flesh out as this sumptuous, exotic Cabernet Sauvignon shows off its racy curves. The 2018 needs a bit of time to fully come together, but it was only bottled this past June, which is to say later than most of the wines in Realm's September 2020 release. Patience will be rewarded. For those who can't wait, the 2018 starts to become approachable about 12 hours after opening. When the remainder of the 2018s are released in early 2021 readers will see a new, small bottling from the very top of the estate made from blocks planted with one of the most important legacy Cabernet Sauvignon clones in Napa Valley. But back to Moonracer. It is a wine that captures so much of what makes the Realm wines special and unique. The blend is 90% Cabernet Sauvignon, 7% Merlot and 3% Petit Verdot."
- Item #: i_253310Bottle Size: 750mlRecoltant is an expression of a single grape from a small region manifested through the hands of great farmers and an incredible winemaker. It is approachable for everyone who loves wine. Sometimes the most extraordinary things come from the most unassuming places.
With more than two decades of winemaking expertise, Julien Fayard is one of Napa Valley's most respected winemakers producing California varietals with French finesse. He believes in producing wines with an identity, exploiting what makes each one unique. Julien's wines are a pure expression of their terroir, highlighting the specificities and characteristics of the fruit, vineyard management, soil and climate. He has a track record of building brands both in terms of quality and market presence.
Originally from France, Julien began his career as a winemaker producing quality rose at his family's winery in Provence. In Bordeaux he worked at Lafite Rothschild and Smith Haut Laffite before relocating to Napa Valley. In Napa, he was Philippe Melka's director of winemaking for a few years before launching his own projects.
This wine comes from the Coombsville area of the Napa Valley. This sub-region received warm days, with sunlight radiating off the volcanic soils, and cool nights. The resulting wines have rich, dense fruit, ample structure, and refreshing brightness.