- Item #: i_210440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93 PointsJEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Cabernet Franc comes from Napa Valley (I'm not exactly sure where the fruit is from) and is all varietal. It's a more opulent wine than the Cabernet and has considerable fruit, richness, and depth on the palate, loads of dark, chocolaty fruit, and terrific notes of spring flowers, gravelly earth, forest floor, and hints of espresso. Beautifully done and balanced, with sweet tannins, it's a beautiful wine."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2017 Cabernet Franc displays pronounced red and black cherries, mulberries and warm raspberries scents with underlying blueberries, pencil shavings and dried Provence herbs plus a waft of lavender. Medium to full-bodied, the palate offers mouth-filling red and blue fruits with a firm, grainy frame and bold freshness, finishing long and perfumed."
- Item #: i_236560Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsThis Cabernet Franc wine comes from an exceptional little vineyard planted in 1976 next to La Jota's century-old stone winery on Howell Mountain. Grafted onto resistant St. George rootstock, it escaped the ravages of phylloxera to become one of the oldest Cabernet Franc vineyards in Napa County. The old vines self-regulate so there's no need to thin crop, pull leaves, or in any other way adjust the grape-to-canopy ratio. Year after year, the grapes are intensely flavored and beautifully balanced. Not many wineries produce Cabernet Franc and this wine definitely captures the essence of La Jota terroir.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Franc Howell Mountain is very deep purple-black colored and gives expressive black cherries, kirsch, warm blackberries and boysenberry scents with touches of sawdust, red roses, camphor and cinnamon stick plus a waft of stewed tea. Full-bodied, the palate reveals a lot of depth with tons of red and black fruit layers and savory accents, framed by ripe, firm, grainy tannins, finishing with a refreshing lift and some mineral notions coming through."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Cabernet Franc comes from three separate parcels and is 100% Cabernet Franc aged in 92% new French oak. It's an awesome bottle of wine with classic Franc black tea and forest floor notes as well as perfumed black raspberry fruits, lots of floral and bay leaf hints, medium to full body, fine tannins, and a terrific sense of elegance. It's a classy wine to enjoy any time over the coming 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_247600Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - Vanilla bean, blackberry and bramble berry aromas are teased by star anise on the nose. The smooth palate is juicy with acidity and flavors of cranberry, raspberry and plum. Crushed velvet tannins add depth along with flavors of kitchen herbs, a sprinkle of pepper and a drop of vanilla. Baking spice appears on the finish ending on a savory note with red plum.
- Item #: i_248580Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94Ovid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Peterson. Each year, from small lots of fruit grown in the red rocky soil of Ovid's vineyard on Pritchard Hill, Austin choose just the best barrels and blend them together to create the new vintage of OVID NAPA VALLEY. The vineyard’s evolution fascinates with each succeeding vintage, new dimensions of the wines are revealed. OVID is a blend of the four Bordeaux varietals grown on their property on Pritchard Hill: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot, varying in proportion from year to year but always eloquently conveying this special place.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Hexameter, Ovid's Cabernet Franc-based blend, is bright and focused, with tons of Franc character in its aromatic and flavor profiles and weight. Sweet red cherry, mint, white pepper, blood orange and flowers give the 2017 striking top notes and energy. Medium in body and finely cut, the Hexameter speaks with a very distinctive voice. The 2017 is super-precise, but it is also a touch light. It will be interesting to see if it fleshes out a bit more with aging. The 2017 is a wine of extreme and total finesse."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Hexameter checks in as 47% Cabernet Franc, 41% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 12% Merlot that was brought up in 60% new French oak. It has a terrific, spicy, complex style in its black raspberry and cassis fruits as well as notes of toasted bread, flowery incense, spice, and crushed flowers. Full-bodied, rich, and beautifully concentrated, it shows nicely integrated acidity, building tannins, and a great finish."
- Item #: i_249240Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "This Cabernet Franc is deeply pigmented and rich. Aromas remind me of blueberry pie, with a nice touch of toasty French Oak. Ripe and peppery from nose to palate. One of the best Cab Francs we have made. Dense concentrated flavors, black fruit driven with impression of cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and olallieberry. Delicious. "