- Item #: i_201520Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 95Jeb Dunnuck: 98Arrow and Branch proprietors (and Laguna Beach locals) Steve and Seanne Contursi share a great love for the wines of Bordeaux, particularly those produced with a large quantity of Cabernet Franc, such as Château Cheval Blanc. The couple sought out their Coombsville vineyard property with an eye to producing top-quality Cabernet Franc-based wines from Napa Valley. They bought the Arrow & Branch Vineyard in November 2007, as this vineyard was the source of Tony Soter's renowned and highly rated Little Creek Cabernet Franc. The Contursi's have maintained the organic farming and, through their work with the detail-oriented Viticulturalist Mike Wolf, are continually improving this wonderful vineyard site.
JEB DUNNUCK 98 POINTS - "The 2016 Red Wine flirts with perfection and should be snatched up by savvy readers. Tasting like a great vintage of Cheval Blanc with its incredible perfume of crème de cassis, spring flowers, and forest floor, it has beautiful complexity, medium to full body, thrilling purity and elegance, and a great, great finish. This beauty is all about complexity and nuance, yet it has loads of intensity and depth, silky tannins, and the class to keep for two decades. The blend is 50% Cabernet Franc, 24% Merlot, 24% Cabernet Sauvignon, and the balance Petit Verdot, all aged 22 months in barrel. Hats off to winemaker Jennifer Williams for this brilliant wine!"
ANTONIO GALLONI 95 POINTS - "Jen Williams seems to have really found her stride at Arrow and Branch. The 2016s represent another major step forward. The wines are bold, racy and irresistibly delicious."
"Arrow and Branch's 2016 Red Wine is built on a core of Cabernet Franc from two sites in Coombsville. Aromatically expressive and ample, the Red Wine is superb. Red cherry, plum, espresso, grilled herbs and flowers build as this beautifully layered wine shows off its personality. The 2016 is powerful and concentrated, yet also retains quite a bit of aromatic lift that gives the wine poise and a sense of balance. It is a stunning wine in every way."
- Item #: i_210440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Cabernet Franc comes from Napa Valley (I'm not exactly sure where the fruit is from) and is all varietal. It's a more opulent wine than the Cabernet and has considerable fruit, richness, and depth on the palate, loads of dark, chocolaty fruit, and terrific notes of spring flowers, gravelly earth, forest floor, and hints of espresso. Beautifully done and balanced, with sweet tannins, it's a beautiful wine."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2017 Cabernet Franc displays pronounced red and black cherries, mulberries and warm raspberries scents with underlying blueberries, pencil shavings and dried Provence herbs plus a waft of lavender. Medium to full-bodied, the palate offers mouth-filling red and blue fruits with a firm, grainy frame and bold freshness, finishing long and perfumed."
- Item #: i_200420Bottle Size: 750mlThis is only the third release of Le Boucher; a tribute to David Long's father, Donald Long. A blend of 67% Cabernet Franc, 16% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot aged in French oak, of which 84% was new. A deep ruby red color offers aromas of baked cherry, plum and pomegranate; followed by subtle earth tones of cherry wood, toasted oak and bay laurel as well as violet like floral notes. The palate is expansive yet finessed with fine grain tannins and mild acidity while long and persistent. Flavors of boysenberry, cherry and toffee carry a long finish. A deft and precise wine with evolving layers to be best from 2019 to 2029. Only 143 cases were produced!
- Item #: i_236560Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 96Jeb Dunnuck: 95This Cabernet Franc wine comes from an exceptional little vineyard planted in 1976 next to La Jota's century-old stone winery on Howell Mountain. Grafted onto resistant St. George rootstock, it escaped the ravages of phylloxera to become one of the oldest Cabernet Franc vineyards in Napa County. The old vines self-regulate so there's no need to thin crop, pull leaves, or in any other way adjust the grape-to-canopy ratio. Year after year, the grapes are intensely flavored and beautifully balanced. Not many wineries produce Cabernet Franc and this wine definitely captures the essence of La Jota terroir.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Franc Howell Mountain is very deep purple-black colored and gives expressive black cherries, kirsch, warm blackberries and boysenberry scents with touches of sawdust, red roses, camphor and cinnamon stick plus a waft of stewed tea. Full-bodied, the palate reveals a lot of depth with tons of red and black fruit layers and savory accents, framed by ripe, firm, grainy tannins, finishing with a refreshing lift and some mineral notions coming through."
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Cabernet Franc comes from three separate parcels and is 100% Cabernet Franc aged in 92% new French oak. It's an awesome bottle of wine with classic Franc black tea and forest floor notes as well as perfumed black raspberry fruits, lots of floral and bay leaf hints, medium to full body, fine tannins, and a terrific sense of elegance. It's a classy wine to enjoy any time over the coming 15-20 years."
- Item #: i_237020Bottle Size: 750MLJohn & Tracey Skupney's 214 Cabernet Franc (named after the specific clone used in the wine) is viewed as a 'Vin de Garde', or a wine to age, meaning that with proper cellaring the wine will display additional complexities and nuance.
This is the seventh vintage of Lang & Reed "Two-Fourteen" Cabernet Franc, which displays a brilliant crimson color with a typical, youthful violet-blue edge. The aroma distills white and red cherry with an ethereal "sous bois" (or forest floor) impression. On the palate, this wine possesses bright and pure Cabernet Franc flavors of firm black cherry, cassis and graphite, which are expansive and made mouthwatering by ample fresh fruit acidity. The finish is supported by solid, but not oppressive, tannins, which have flavor elements that provide memorable length. This is a fresh and exacting expression of Cabernet Franc, attributed to the 214 clone, that will serve well now or gain in complexity with additional bottle age.
- Item #: i_245360Bottle Size: 750mlA single barrel bottling of 100% Cabernet Franc crafted by legendary winemaker Luc Morlet • Fruit comes exclusively from the renowned Oakville Bench in the heart of the Napa Valley • Natural fermentation occurred in a highly soughtafter Darnajou Puncheon French oak barrel • The strong personality of this 2014 amazes now and will gain incredible complexity for 35-plus years Wine Facts • Wine is unfiltered • Single vineyard wine • Sustainably produced
- Item #: i_247600Bottle Size: 750mlWINE ENTHUSIAST - Vanilla bean, blackberry and bramble berry aromas are teased by star anise on the nose. The smooth palate is juicy with acidity and flavors of cranberry, raspberry and plum. Crushed velvet tannins add depth along with flavors of kitchen herbs, a sprinkle of pepper and a drop of vanilla. Baking spice appears on the finish ending on a savory note with red plum.
- Item #: i_248580Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 94Ovid Vineyards is one of the true new "cult kids on the street". The vineyards are meticulously maintained by David Abreu, and the wines are made by Austin Peterson. Each year, from small lots of fruit grown in the red rocky soil of Ovid's vineyard on Pritchard Hill, Austin choose just the best barrels and blend them together to create the new vintage of OVID NAPA VALLEY. The vineyard’s evolution fascinates with each succeeding vintage, new dimensions of the wines are revealed. OVID is a blend of the four Bordeaux varietals grown on their property on Pritchard Hill: Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Petit Verdot, varying in proportion from year to year but always eloquently conveying this special place.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Hexameter, Ovid's Cabernet Franc-based blend, is bright and focused, with tons of Franc character in its aromatic and flavor profiles and weight. Sweet red cherry, mint, white pepper, blood orange and flowers give the 2017 striking top notes and energy. Medium in body and finely cut, the Hexameter speaks with a very distinctive voice. The 2017 is super-precise, but it is also a touch light. It will be interesting to see if it fleshes out a bit more with aging. The 2017 is a wine of extreme and total finesse."
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Hexameter checks in as 47% Cabernet Franc, 41% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 12% Merlot that was brought up in 60% new French oak. It has a terrific, spicy, complex style in its black raspberry and cassis fruits as well as notes of toasted bread, flowery incense, spice, and crushed flowers. Full-bodied, rich, and beautifully concentrated, it shows nicely integrated acidity, building tannins, and a great finish."
- Item #: i_249240Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Tasting Notes: "This Cabernet Franc is deeply pigmented and rich. Aromas remind me of blueberry pie, with a nice touch of toasty French Oak. Ripe and peppery from nose to palate. One of the best Cab Francs we have made. Dense concentrated flavors, black fruit driven with impression of cocoa powder, dark chocolate, and olallieberry. Delicious. "