- Item #: i_210440Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 93Jeb Dunnuck: 93JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "Lastly, the 2017 Cabernet Franc comes from Napa Valley (I'm not exactly sure where the fruit is from) and is all varietal. It's a more opulent wine than the Cabernet and has considerable fruit, richness, and depth on the palate, loads of dark, chocolaty fruit, and terrific notes of spring flowers, gravelly earth, forest floor, and hints of espresso. Beautifully done and balanced, with sweet tannins, it's a beautiful wine."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 93 POINTS - "Deep garnet-purple colored, the 2017 Cabernet Franc displays pronounced red and black cherries, mulberries and warm raspberries scents with underlying blueberries, pencil shavings and dried Provence herbs plus a waft of lavender. Medium to full-bodied, the palate offers mouth-filling red and blue fruits with a firm, grainy frame and bold freshness, finishing long and perfumed."
- Item #: i_214190Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 91Jeb Dunnuck: 95JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "What could be thought of as the entry-level wine from this benchmark estate, the 2017 Collina is a blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 35% Cabernet Franc, and the rest Petit Verdot. There's not much made (600 cases) but it's a beautiful wine that certainly has the classic vibe of the estate as well as medium to full body, a rounded, textured mouthfeel, solid mid-palate density, and beautiful cassis, currants, Asian spice, and flowery incense aromatics. Given the prices of Napa Valley Bordeaux blends these days, it's a stunning value."
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2017 Collina Dalla Valle is plump, juicy and absolutely delicious. Vibrant sweet red fruit and floral notes give the 2017 notable energy as well as verve. In 2017, the Collina is not quite as sensual or curvy as it can be, while the tannins show the nervous edge that so typical of the year. Time in bottle will help at least to some degree. Once again, Dalla Valle overdelivers with the Collina."
- Item #: i_214460Bottle Size: 750mlFermented in a combination of oak upright tanks, small barrel, concrete tanks, and open-top stainless steel fermenters, the 2015 Vaso is aromatically complex and captures the different terroirs and varieties of this Cabernet blend with fragrances of red currant, plums, sage, and loam with hints of tobacco box and spices. The entry has flavors of Bing cherries and dried herbs as the hillside tannins fills out the mid palate. The wine supple yet structured palate. Ripe strawberry, forest floor, and a light minerality linger on the finish. Lush and approachable now, this wine will continue to develop as the years pass.
- Item #: i_226700Bottle Size: 750mlFounded in 2005 by third-generation Napa farmer Tom Gamble, Gamble Family Vineyards farms approximately 175 acres of prime estate vineyards from several of Napa Valley's most respected AVAs – Oakville, Yountville, Mt. Veeder, and Rutherford. Set in an isolated nook off of Highway 29 in the heart of Napa Valley's Oakville District, the winery, open to guests by invitation, has a quiet and pastoral presence. Tom Gamble's mission is to carry on the heritage of quality farming that his ancestors sowed when they came to Napa as farmers and ranchers in 1916. A family farming for over 100 years does so only through constant reinvestment in the environment and the people that support it. Knowledge and abilities evolve over time. Constant improvement means always trying new things and keeping what works. His winery and vineyards are certified Napa Green and certified by Fish Friendly Farming.
For 2014, the final blend is comprised of 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 32% Cabernet Franc, 28% Merlot, and 8% Petit Verdot, aged in French oak barrels, of which 46% were new.
- Item #: i_270600Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Cabernet Franc, 6% Malbec, 5% Rousanne, 3% Chardonnay, and 1% Petit Verdot, this wine opens with a melange of ripe black cherry, vanilla and violets, The Wheelman is plush and textured, dominated by boysenberry, dark cherry, milk chocolate, and cardamom. Well-balanced and rounded tannins lead to an elegant, bright, medium finish. Pair with grilled skirt steak in rosemary herbed butter or rosemary lamb chops with creamy polenta. Drink through 2032. Only 423 cases produced!
- Item #: i_236790Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Bottled has been blended with 5% Merlot, 2% Malbec, 2% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot. It has a medium to deep ruby color and nose of cassis, blackcurrant bud, baker's chocolate, cedar, Morello cherries and pencil lead. Medium to full-bodied, it has a good core of minerally fruit with firm, chewy tannins, good freshness and a long, earthy finish."
- Item #: i_237930Bottle Size: 750mlWinery's Tasting Notes: "Our 2018 Napa Valley Cabernet is deliciously well-dressed with black currants, Godiva chocolate, kidskin gloves, and plenty of gravitas. Plush fruits and fresh character are deftly woven with mocha, cedar and tobacco spices all stitched with a supple hand and topped with tidy coat-tails."
- Item #: i_238840Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 92Like every top Chateau in Bourdeaux, the great Spottswoode Estate also has a second label: Lyndenhurst. The allure is that you get to taste a blueprint of the flagship bottling earlier, and in a very approachable fashion. The Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon enjoys the same pedigree as Spottswoode (which has earned a perfect 100 points score for their last two vintages) and shares characteristics easily recognizable to those already familiar with the essence of the Spottswoode estate. All organically farmed and aged in French oak barrels for 20 months, this wine truly shows the power and exceedingly high quality of the 2016 vintage!
On the approach, the 2016 Lyndenhurst sings a polished and youthful tone and soon reveals generosity and sophistication. The progression is long and opulent, punctuated by notes of cedar, winter mint, bergamot, briar, sandalwood, and chestnuts. There are layers of fruit-blueberry and soft, dark cherry open to aromas of blackberry, intermingled with warming notes of vanilla bean and cocoa powder. The wine is held together with a bright, linear acidity complemented by dark, silken tannins that together leave a lingering finish.
ANTONIO GALLONI 92 POINTS - "Another gorgeous wine in this range, the 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is wonderfully fresh, vibrant and nuanced. Black cherry, plum, spice, lavender, new leather and menthol overtones develop in the glass, but like so many 2016s, the Lyndenhurst simply dazzles with its exquisite balance and total class."
- Item #: i_238800Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 91Like every top Château in Bordeaux, the great Spottswoode Estate also has a second label: Lyndenhurst. The allure is that you get to taste a blueprint of the flagship bottling earlier, and in a very approachable fashion. The Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon enjoys the same pedigree as Spottswoode (which has earned a perfect 100 points score for their last two vintages) and shares characteristics easily recognizable to those already familiar with the essence of the Spottswoode estate. All organically farmed and aged in French oak barrels for 20 months, this wine truly shows the power and exceedingly high quality of the 2015 vintage! On the approach, the 2015 Lyndenhurst sings a polished and youthful tone and soon reveals generosity and sophistication. The progression is long and opulent, punctuated by notes of cedar, winter mint, bergamot, briar, sandalwood, and chestnuts. There are layers of fruit—blueberry and soft, dark cherry opening to aromas of blackberry, intermingled with warming notes of vanilla bean and cocoa powder. The wine is held together with a bright, linear acidity complemented by dark, silken tannins that together leave a lingering finish.
ANTONIO GALLONI 91 POINTS - "The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is pliant, supple and inviting. Dark cherry jam, plum, chocolate, spice and new leather are pushed forward in this racy, succulent Cabernet Sauvignon. A wine with no hard edges and plenty of allure, the 2015 will drink well with minimal cellaring. In the Lyndenhurst, readers will find an affordable Cabernet that showcases the best 2015 has to offer, in its peer group, naturally."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91 POINTS - "This is Spottswoode's second wine. Around 50% to 55% of the fruit comes from the estate. The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is mainly Cabernet Sauvignon (80%) with 12% Merlot and splashes of Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot. Medium to deep garnet-purple colored, it delivers bold, enticing black cherries, mulberries and warm plums scents with touches of cassis, fragrant earth, unsmoked cigars and menthol plus a waft of bay leaves. Medium-bodied, the earth-laced black fruit dances on the palate, supported by plush tannins and finishing on an allspice-laced note."
- Item #: i_238850Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+Like every top Château in Bordeaux, the great Spottswoode Estate also has a second label: Lyndenhurst. The allure is that you get to taste a blueprint of the flagship bottling earlier, and in a very approachable fashion. The Lyndenhurst Cabernet Sauvignon enjoys the same pedigree as Spottswoode (which has earned a perfect 100 points score for their last two vintages) and shares characteristics easily recognizable to those already familiar with the essence of the Spottswoode estate.
Aged for 20 months in French oak barrels, with crimson fruits and bramble, the 2017 Lyndenhurst unveils aromas of fresh thyme, cedar, lilac, juniper, and a wild understory. Fine, silken tannins entice the palate through an array of textures. All the while, a resonating acidity brings dynamism and precision through this wine's long, layered progression. This is a wine with a refined poise in youth with a unique ability to offer enjoyment in its early years.
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Lyndenhurst is blended of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 3% Cabernet Franc, 2% Malbec and 1% Petit Verdot. Deep garnet-purple in color, it offers soft spoken notes of dried lavender, wild blueberries, fresh black currants and kirsch plus hints of dried herbs, unsmoked cigars and spice cake. Medium to full-bodied, the palate has a solid structure of ripe, grainy tannins and plenty of freshness to support the muscular, beautifully retrained flavors, finishing on a lingering earthy note."
- Item #: i_241380Bottle Size: 750ml'Old school', 'classic' Napa Cabernet crafted by a young, passionate team helmed by Steve Matthiasson. The fruit for this wine is 93% Cabernet Sauvignon farmed by Steve Matthiasson. It’s a combination of Vinyards from Coombsville, Oak Knoll and Rutherford with 7% Cabernet Franc farmed by Doug Hill in Coombsville. The oak is 100% French, 50% new from mixed forests & coopers and was inspired by Warren Winiarski’s barrel regime from the early 1970’s. Fermentation was in stainless steel tank and elevage was 22 months. All Vinyards are farmed organically and the ingredients are; grapes, yeast and SO2. No mega purple, no velcorin etc...This one builds in its quiet intensity with an hour or two of air, pretty stuff!
- Item #: i_245460Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Vinous Media: 94The heritage of Mount Eden Cabernet Sauvignon dates back to the 1890s, when the famed viticulturist Emmett Rixford of Woodside, California obtained selected cuttings from Chateau Margaux in Bordeaux, France. Rixford planted his famous La Questa Vineyard with these selections, in the same proportions as found at Margaux.
In the late 1940s Martin Ray planted his first Cabernet vineyard with cuttings from the La Questa Vineyard. Mount Eden's present-day Estate Cabernet Sauvignon vines were planted in the early 1980s using cuttings taken from these vines. Yields are low, typically one to two tons per acre. Soils are very thin (1-12 inches), with a dominant base of Franciscan shale. The climate is cool, especially for Cabernet, and influenced by the vineyard’s altitude and its proximity to San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean. The vines are trellised in a modern fashion, which allows for a more uniform ripening. The vineyard also contains small blocks of Merlot and Cabernet Franc.
ANTONIO GALLONI 94 POINTS - "Mount Eden's Cabernet Sauvignon is one of the hidden gems, not just in the Santa Cruz Mountains, but in wine more broadly. The 2015 is bold, deep and pungent, with striking fruit density and tons of aromatic nuance. Jeffrey Patterson told me he had never seen such a tiny crop. Some vines produced no fruit at all. As a result, the 2015 was aged entirely in new oak, all of which it handles very well. The balance of savory Cabernet aromatics, fruit and structure is already terrific, and will only improve with more time in bottle."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "In all my years, I've never seen a Cabernet vintage like 2015, in terms of yield," Jeffrey Patterson tells me. "We had very low yields. The vines didn't have clusters. It was the tail end of the drought, and the year before was so dry. Normally, small yields are caused by shatter at bloom. But in 2015, it was just an absence of clusters." The 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate is a blend of 75% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot and was aged almost entirely in new barrels. It has a medium to deep ruby color and is more powerful and intense on the nose than the 2015 version, with aromas of blackcurrant bud, cassis, bay leaf, pencil shavings, dark chocolate and cedar with savory/meaty hints, plus tons of red fruit sparks and licorice hints. It's medium to full-bodied with intense, ripe fruits laced with savory and herbal accents. It has a frame of juicy acidity and grainy, ripe tannins, finishing very long and energetic. 728 cases produced.
- Item #: i_247660Bottle Size: 750mlA blend of 93% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3.5% Petit Verdot, 1.5% Cabernet Franc, 1% Malbec, and 1% Merlot, this wine displays aromas of blackberries, butterscotch, and anise combined with dark fruits, black cherry, and spice on the palate. Full-bodied with plenty of grip and length. This wine is built for aging, but good luck trying to wait!
- Item #: i_251590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92Jeb Dunnuck: 93JEB DUNNUCK 93 POINTS - "The 2017 Secret Blend Red Wine is another outstanding effort and checks in as 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Cabernet Franc, 21% Merlot, and the rest Petit Verdot, sourced from five separate sites and aged 18 months in 49% new French oak. It's a beautifully textured 2017 with lots of ripe, dark, chocolately fruit as well as subtle spice and earthy notes. Medium to full-bodied on the palate, with sweet tannins and ample fruit, it's a winner from this estate to drink over the coming decade or so."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 95+ POINTS - "The 2017 Secret Blend is comprised of 47% Cabernet Sauvignon, 21% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Franc and 12% Petit Verdot. It was aged in 49% new French oak and bottled without fining/filtration. Deep garnet-purple colored, it springs forth with fragrant notions of wild blueberries, boysenberries and warm cassis plus exuberant sparks of candied violets, cinnamon stick, cloves and mossy tree bark. Medium to full-bodied, the palate is completely packed with fresh black and blue fruit, supported by a velvety texture and bags of freshness, finishing long and spicy. 372 cases made."
- Item #: i_264420Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 92JEB DUNNUCK 92 POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Dollarhide Estate Vineyard had a small part of the blend fermented in barrels and spent 19 months in 66% new French oak before being bottled. Its deep ruby/purple color is followed by a rich, concentrated, slightly reserved 2014 that has lots of blackcurrant, toasted spice, earth and espresso aromas and flavors. With medium to full-bodied richness, impressive mid-palate concentrated, ripe tannin, and outstanding length, it's an impressive 2014 that will last for 10-15 years."
- Item #: i_270310Bottle Size: 750mlVinous Media: 96Turnbull has been rooted in the culture and history of the Napa Valley, making wine of exceptional quality since 1979. Operating their small, family business from the original estate winery in Oakville, they pay tribute to their heritage while rooted in the present. It starts with their estate-grown fruit, which they carefully tend to from the ground up through to the winery. Turnbull wines are crafted with integrity and without compromise.
This particular bottling of Cabernet comes from Napa Valley's Oakville District. This is one of the more prominent regions of the Napa Valley, and is home to several of the true cult Cabernet producers! Sourced from their acclaimed Fortuna and Leopoldina Vineyards, red volcanic soils on the eastern bedrock and alluvial soils of the world famous Oakville appellation provide for stunning fruit purity. The soil type in each of their vineyards contributes its individual character to the final estate blend. Hand-picked, and crafted using age old traditional techniques; Turnbull elevated this wine in French oak barrels for 20 months, before Estate bottling this gem.
ANTONIO GALLONI 96 POINTS - "The 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Reserve is another dazzling wine that overdelivers for its price point. Rich and sumptuous, the 2017 possesses off-the-charts richness and intensity. Black cherry, plum, new leather, licorice, spice and cedar are all fused together in this dazzling, opulent Cabernet Sauvignon; all the elements meld together in an effortless, flamboyant wine. This is a total pleasure bomb - for its quality and price, there is no question: the Reserve is the wine to buy at Turnbull."