- Item #: i_200510Bottle Size: 750mlII is the culmination of the two worlds, the Alpha and the Omega, the Old World and the New World. Winemakers, Jean Hoefliger and Michel Rolland worked to create a wine that is not only opulent, fruit forward and generous, but also has the backbone of European acidity and elegance. A reflection of both worlds, II is a wine that is built to be approachable, both in taste and price, and consumed early.
A blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 23% Merlot, and 12% Cabernet Franc, this wine had a deep, dark Cornell red color with some geranium and garnet on the rim. The nose expresses a beautiful balance between spices, such as cinnamon and thyme, and fruit, such as cherries and raspberries, with tobacco leaf, cedar, caramel and hibiscus. The palate possesses integrated tannins with beautiful chocolate notes and pipe tobacco with strawberry jam, cantaloupe and lilac.
- Item #: i_205880Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsBootleg Red is a new production by Jackson Family Wine Collection; these are the people who own and produce awesome estate wines like Freemark Abbey, La Jota, and StoneStreet just to name a few. Trust us; there are too many "household" names you would recognize for us to list them all but you now have an idea of the quality they bring to the table.
This offering is their entry to the California "Red" category, a section of the domestic wine industry that has seen tremendous growth with labels such as "The Prisoner" becoming brands that everyone who drinks California wine has heard of. In terms of sales this category is as hot as Cabernet Sauvignon! This particular wine is a blend of 37% Merlot, 33% Petit Sirah, and 30% Syrah.
So what sets this apart from other blends and why should you try it? Fruit sources; using Vineyards they own, the Jackson Family sourced grapes from prestigious sub-AVAs within Napa like Yountville, Howell Mountain, and Mt Veeder, with the balance of fruit (18%) coming from their Mendocino Vineyards. The blending components going into this Red comes from outstanding vineyards of whom we all love. Plain and simple, you have outstanding winegrowing, winemaking and wine-blending with Bootleg Red!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS! "It reveals a healthy purple color as well as a terrific bouquet of sweet creme de cassis, toasted bread, Asian spices, lavender, and dried herbs. With a fabulous texture, full body, notable purity of fruit, and a rich yet graceful style on the palate, it's one seriously hedonistic yet balanced, complex red that knocks it out of the park. Drink this rocking little gem any time over the coming 4-6 years. (I wouldn't be surprised to see it keep longer.)"
- Item #: i_206430Bottle Size: 750mlSituated in the mountains above Conn Valley and near the base of Howell Mountain, the Buehler Estate vineyards are planted primarily to Cabernet Sauvignon. The juxtaposed topography of steeply sloped hillsides with eastern exposures against very gently sloping hills with southern and southwestern exposures hints at the tumultuous geologic past of the Estate; extensive faulting resulted in at least three distinct soil types. Not surprisingly, grapes grown on the different soils give different characteristics to the finished wines; these differences are often as great as the differences across various Bordeaux varieties and allow Buehler to blend within the variety of Cabernet Sauvignon to craft a truly multi-faceted Estate wine.
The aromas hint at black fruit: ripe black cherries and black plums. Enticing barrel qualities of cola and spice complement the fruit aromas. On the palate, the wine shows layers of deeply extracted flavors that only mature hillside vineyards can render. Buehler's Estate Cabernet is the most age-worthy wine they produce and may be enjoyed anytime over the next 15 years.
- Item #: i_207100Bottle Size: 750MLIf you have enjoyed the prior "vintages" of Cain Cuvee, you will love the NV15. Those of you who have followed Cain Cuvee know that it is not your typical Napa red wine; no big, inky, oaky blockbuster here. Cain Cuvee is intended to sit lightly, refreshingly (dare we say, lovingly?) on your palate. There is all the fruit that you could want, but the Cain Cuvee is not fruit juice. It is, most assuredly, fine wine for serious wine-lovers who value complexity, balance and finish. The Cain Cuvee is for those who know that wine doesnet have to be big to be good.
- Item #: i_212030Bottle Size: 750MLOnce in the glass, the Clos Pegase Estate Cabernet Sauvignon reflects an opaque dark purple core. As the aromatics waft towards the nose, they deliver generous layers of cassis, antique wood, cigar box and black currant. On the palate, brooding dark fruits give way to briar, black currant and forest floor. More subtle notes of graphite, wet clay and seasoned leather, transition across the palate. The tannins are nicely balanced by the lush fruits which are in-turn kept fresh by the crisp acidity. This Cabernet Sauvignon continues to evolve on the palate showing depth and complexity with a lengthy finish.
- Item #: i_212610Bottle Size: 750MLFor more than 40 years, Conn Creek Winery has focused on Cabernet Sauvignon. In search of the best Cabernet Sauvignon, they've discovered many exceptional single-vineyard sites throughout Napa Valley. Today, Conn Creek sources fruit from those prized vineyards in nearly all of Napa Valley's diverse sub-appellations, such as St. Helena, Yountville, Oakville, Calistoga, Mt. Veeder, and Howell Mountain, to provide winemaker Mike McGrath with an unparalleled palette from which to blend each wine. It's an approach that captures the "Best of Napa Valley."
Concentrated cranberry and raspberry notes with underlying cigar box notes. Mouthfeel consists of broad, full tannins with a touch of black pepper on the finish.
- Item #: i_214810Bottle Size: 750mlThe 2017 Bodyguard is a sleek yet powerful blend of 60% Petit Verdot and 40% Petite Sirah, displaying both opulence and structure. This wine presents fragrant fruit aromas of blackberry, raspberry, currant and creme de cassis. Notes of cocoa, coffee, dark chocolate, licorice and sweet cherry pipe tobacco are rounded out with whispers of truffle, toffee, mocha and menthol. A juicy, fleshy palate offers bright, generous flavors of cherry, cranberry, strawberry and blueberry tinged with black raspberry and tamarind—all supported by underlying accents of dusty leather, pencil shavings, cigar box and crushed herbs. An elegantly styled and beautifully structured finish reverberates with focused energy, vibrant berry fruit and ripe, polished tannins.
- Item #: i_241510Bottle Size: 750MLWine Advocate: 90Do you want to get a real glimpse into the characteristics and style of the 2009 vintage in Washington, then you don't need to look any further. Delille has been somewhat under the radar, but if the quality in this Merlot blend doesn't open your eyes, we don't know what will! "D2" is the main highway that runs through Bordeaux, so being that this is a Merlot-based blend (just like the right bank of Bordeaux), the name is apt. This year, the wine is a blend of 58% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc, and 1% Petit Verdot.
ANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 92 POINTS - "(a blend of about 60 lots from 13,500 vines, according to Jason Gorski): Bright, dark red with ruby highlights. Aromas of cassis and licorice hint at a dried-berry character. Impressively concentrated for such a large blend, offering a fine-grained texture and noteworthy inner-mouth floral lift. Boasts plush, sweet dark fruit and spice flavors, with a repeating element of very ripe berries. Suggests a wider range of fruit ripeness than most of the other DeLille reds but very successful for such a disparate blend. The long finish features substantial ripe, broad tannins."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Exhibiting aromas of loamy soil, crushed currants and creamy new oak, the 2015 D2 Proprietary Red Wine is medium-bodied, chewy and rustic, with a good core of juicy fruit but a firm, somewhat drying finish that seems to be marked by tannins derived from its time in 55% new oak but which could also simply reflect the vintage. It's a blend of 58% Merlot, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc and 1% Petit Verdot."
- Item #: i_214330Bottle Size: 750mlAnybody who has walked into our store asking for a great Cabernet recommendation has sure heard us talking up the Desparada wines from winemaker Valia Esh. Valia is a lady who has managed to understand winemaking quicker and with more detail than many other winemakers...to a point where others are jealous! This year's Soothsayer is comprised of 44% Barbera, 40% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 16% nebbiolo from Spanish Springs, Star Lane, Luna Matta, and Chelle Mountain.
- Item #: i_216410Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 90 POINTS - "Another outstanding wine is the 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley, which is 89% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Petit Verdot and 5% Merlot. It's a classic Cabernet with its tobacco leaf, leafy herbs, graphite and dark fruit aromas and flavors. Medium to full-bodied, nicely textured and fresh, with moderate depth and density, it has tons of charm and is ideal for drinking over the coming 3-5 years."
- Item #: i_220590Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 90ROBERT PARKER 90 POINTS - "A blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot, Malbec, Merlot and Cabernet Franc, the 2014 Tresor has a deep garnet color and nose of cassis, warm blackberries and mulberries with hints of cedar, menthol and cloves. Medium-bodied, there’s a good amount of expressive black currant and baking spice flavors in the mouth, with chewy tannins and an herbal lift on the finish."
- Item #: i_229100Bottle Size: 750mlAll of the grapes in Gallo's Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon come from their acclaimed William Hill Estate vineyard in Southern Napa. Set above the valley floor at varying elevations, this vineyard sees diverse microclimates and basks in abundant sunlight, thanks to its southwestern exposure. Volcanic soils that are rocky, thin and nutrient-deprived stress the vines to produce smaller berries with vivid flavor and color concentration. Significant variation between day and night temperatures at this vineyard yield red Bordeaux varietals - Cabernet Sauvignon in particular - with intense fruit character and refined acidity.
A wine of incredible density and complexity, this Cabernet Sauvignon opens with intense aromas of ripe dark fruit and hints of spice. On the rich, full-bodied palate, fruit flavors of blackberry, blueberry, plum and black cherry are framed by notes of chocolate, anise and clove. With structured tannins and silky texture, the long, supple finish is marked by hints of toasted oak.
- Item #: i_230190Bottle Size: 750MLMichael and James Stewart have teamed up with world-renowned winemaker Paul Hobbs to craft noteworthy Cabernet Sauvignons, Pinot Noirs and Chardonnays from California. The wines have become favorites with both customers and staff; a few years ago they came out with Hollis-- a second label to showcase their house style at a more affordable price.
Fruit forward, well balanced, with well integrated French oak, this wine is sure to be a crowd pleaser. With fruit sourced from Max Vineyard, Hollis is crafted with the help of their consulting winemaker, Paul Hobbs.
- Item #: i_232380Bottle Size: 750mlJamieson Ranch Vineyards is the southernmost winery in the Napa Valley. The property's rolling hillsides and vineyards were formerly Part of General Mariano Vallejo's Rancho Suscol in the mid-1800's. Today, the ranching tradition continues with cattle grazing the hillsides, an apiary, and of course, prime vineyards. The soils are clay loam, which means the grapes will help give rich fruit profiles to the finished wine. Also, the excellent water drainage in the ground means smaller berries which helps to intensify color, aromas, and flavors. Combine this with the owners being good stewards of the land, along with the help of a fantastic winemaking, and you have some of the ingredients for producing amazing wine!
Most of the southern portion of the Napa Valley tends to be on the cool side, and prime location for grapes such as Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. But there are some warm pockets here-and-there where Bordeaux varietals like Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot thrive just as well as the rest of the valley. Jamieson Ranch sits in one of those pockets, and boy have they hit a home run with their Double Lariat Cabernet!
- Item #: i_237270Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 91 PointsANTONIO GALLONI'S VINOUS MEDIA 91+ POINTS - "(3.74 pH with a firm 6.6 grams per liter total acidity): Bright, full medium ruby. Brooding, slightly inky blackberry and cassis aromas. Rich, plush and sweet, with terrific dark berry ripeness complicated by classic claret-like herb and tobacco nuances. The most graceful of these 2015 reds to this point but also boasts terrific depth. The team eliminated the Rocks component of this wine in 2015, as they found it too stewy. Finishes sappy, chewy and very long, with firm acidity and big, palate-staining tannins."
JEB DUNNUCK 91 POINTS - "A small step up in quality over the Columbia Valley release, the 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon Walla Walla Valley (22 months in 40% new French oak) offers more purity and elegance as well as terrific notes of blackcurrants, tobacco leaf, damp earth, and chocolate. This medium to full-bodied, elegant, silky beauty has sweet tannin, integrated acidity, and a great finish. It's outstanding stuff."
- Item #: i_236710Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 94 PointsIn the wine world, there are a small number of winemakers that garner just a little extra attention from us buyers. That's because these select few winemakers are known for perennially producing some of the best wines from a given region…Andy Ericson is one of those winemakers! Andy started his winemaking career at Harlan, then Staglin, and has been the winemaker at Screaming Eagle, Staglin, Ovid, Dancing Hares, and others!
With years of winemaking and vineyard-walking under his belt, Andy was often given the "inside scoop" on vineyards that make extraordinary wine, but were "under the radar" by most winemakers. Taking this information, Andy created Leviathan in 2004. The goal was simple: to create one, unique red wine, drawn from some of the best vineyards in Northern California. The resulting bottling, was born of a passion for blending Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot and Cabernet Franc, to create a full-bodied wine with a character all of its own. Since then, he has remained true to the goal of producing a rich, distinctly Californian red blend, year after year.
Receiving high praise and scores isn't new to this wine, as this is the third year in a row this wine has received 94 points. The consistency is there, and the wine is here at Hi-Time for you!
JEB DUNNUCK 94 POINTS - "Based on Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, and Syrah brought up in 25% new French oak, the 2017 California Red Wine sports a deep ruby/purple color as well as a rich, powerful, opulent style that certainly puts a smile on your face. Notes of currants, chocolate, spice box, and earthy, herbal notes all emerge from this sexy, seamless effort that has full-bodied richness, ripe tannins, and outstanding finish. It's a smoking value to enjoy over the coming 7-8 years."
- Item #: i_277460Bottle Size: 750mlLiteral is a blend of 50% Cabernet Sauvignon and 50% Syrah. The Cabernet hails from the Valle de Guadalupe and the Syrah is grown in Uruapan, a valley in the southern end of Ensenada. This wine presents an intense and radiant red color. Aromatic notes of red and dark berries are present, predominantly raspberry, a hint of spices, cacao and vanilla, a byproduct of the oak barrels aging. With each sip we are presented with soft tannins, good structure and acidity.
- Item #: i_240110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 92+The Louis Martini winery has been crafting world-class Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa and Sonoma's finest vineyards since 1933. Founder Louis M. Martini started with this simple premise: the best grapes make the best wines. Today, this tradition carries on at their historic winery in the Napa Valley with a range of unforgettable Cabernet Sauvignon wines.
The Louis M. Martini winery is one of the original five Napa wineries founded in 1933 after Prohibition. In keeping with Louis' tradition of innovation, they pioneered the use of temperature controlled fermentation, the use of wind machines to combat frost damage, as well as studying clonal selections on specific terroirs. All of which have become industry standards.
Since then, the Louis Martini winery has gone from one level of greatness to the next. Robert M. Parker, Jr. tweeted that Martini's Sonoma Cabernet is among the best Cabernets in the world among its peers, their Lot 1 Cabernet Sauvignon has earned the perfect 100-point score, and now, their Napa Valley bottling has been one of the biggest hits in our store for the dollar!
ROBERT PARKER's WINE ADVOCATE 92+ POINTS - "The 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon is made up of 84% Cabernet Sauvignon, 9% Petite Sirah, 5% Petit Verdot, 1% Merlot and 1% Malbec, aged in 30% new French and American oak. Deep garnet-purple colored, it gives up bold notions of cassis, black cherries and spice box with hints of cedar and fragrant earth. The palate is medium to full-bodied, firm and grainy with loads of muscular fruit accented by a notable but not overwhelming oaky presence, going to a long, layered finish. 38,000 cases produced."
- Item #: i_240000Bottle Size: 750mlIn 1972, Bruce Markham arrived in Napa Valley with the dream of starting a winery. Intent on crafting world-class wines for years to come, he purchased the "little jewels" that are still the Markham vineyards today. He was a pioneer in what is now the very heart of Napa, buying premium vineyard land before many understood the tremendous potential the valley offered for producing fine wines. He also purchased a winery. Originally established by Jean Laurent, the Markham winery dates back to 1879. As one of the founders of Napa winemaking and viticulture, Markham Vineyards takes great pride in its legacy of exceptional mountains and magnificent vineyards, Markham's winery has the distinction of being the fourth oldest continuously operated winery in Napa County.
- Item #: i_232999Bottle Size: 750mlDripping with terroir; between the volcanic soils, altitude and terraced vineyards, Mount Veeder produces wines that taste unique from the rest of Napa Valley thus earning its AVA status. The small clusters of grapes grown on this mountain site produce powerful wines with depth and structure along with savory, brambly tones. Mount Veeder is nestled on the Mayacamas Mountain range that seperates Napa and Sonoma Valley. While only gaining its AVA status in the early '90s, wine production on this mountain dates back almost 50 years before the prohibition era of the 1920s. Vineyards within this AVA are all steeply terraced, carved into the side of the mountain. The steepness of the angle (up to 30 degrees) gives the vineyards benefits of more direct sunlight and better drainage.
The Mount Veeder Winery has history dating back to the '60s with its debut wine released in 1973. The vineyard was converted from a plum orchard by Michael and Arlene Bernstein after being given a bundle of vine clippings. Michael's attention was focused on planting a vineyard and theirs ended up being the first in Napa to have all 5 Bordeaux varietals planted. Since that first vintage, Mount Veeder Winery has expanded to three vineyard ranches high in the Mayacamas Mountains and continues to produce powerful, bold wines that are a true expression of this unique wine-growing region.
Deep ruby in color, this wine shows wonderfully rich, ripe berries and blackberry cobbler on the nose complemented by hints of earth, cigar box, and dried sage. A supple, well-structured palate and full body with a slight mineral edge, dark cassis fruit and ripe black cherry build complexity with layers of mocha and baking spices. The wine is dry but finishes with a lovely, delicate sweetness.
- Item #: i_205730Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94Jeb Dunnuck: 95 PointsFormer Newport Beach resident Eric Jensen has really made a name for himself up in Paso Robles. His Booker lineup of wines specializes in Rhone varieties (such as Syrah, Grenache, and Petit Manseng) and have become highly sought after for their intensity, complexity, and sheer enjoyment. If you're the type that's interested in scores, Booker is one of the few Paso Robles wineries to have earned 100 points from Robert Parker's Wine Advocate!
Eric's My Favorite Neighbor label started as an homage to his mentor Stephan Asseo of L'Aventure winery; Stephan would always call and say "Hello Eric, this is Stephan, your favorite neighbor". This was Eric's foray into fine-tuning the Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet-based blends he was making. Eric was able to find clay soils in Westside Paso Robles (an area known for its limestone-rich soils), and took advice from Benoit Touquette (who makes Realm Cellars, Fait-Main, and Teeter Totter) and Toni Biagi (who makes Patria and Hourglass)...over deliver, under charge, and do it using the best sites, the best winemaking team and sparing no expense on barrels or equipment. Judging by the last few releases of his My Favorite Neighbor Cabernet, we'll say that he has been doing exactly that!
And now, he has released Harvey and Harriet! This is named after Eric's parents, and is a Cabernet/Syrah blend, not too dissimilar to what his favorite neighbor Stephan does with L'Aventure. Our domestic wine buyer tasted this over a few nights, and feels that this will rival any Napa or Sonoma Cabernet at the $50 price point...and this one sells for less!
JEB DUNNUCK 95 POINTS - "The My Favorite Neighbor releases are made by Eric Jensen and there are two cuvees, the Harvey and Harriet and the flagship My Favorite Neighbor. The Harvey and Harriet release is named after Jensen’s parents and includes small amounts of Syrah, Petit Verdot, Malbec. It’s made to be the more black-fruited, richer, more powerful wine in the lineup."
"Named after winemaker Eric Jensen's parents, the 2017 Harvey and Harriet is a blend of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah, and the rest Petit Verdot and Malbec. It offers a richer, powerful style as well as Napa Cabernet-like notes of black and blue fruits, scorched earth, crushed rocks, and violets. Rich, full-bodied, beautifully concentrated, and voluptuous on the palate, it's more approachable than the flagship Cabernet Sauvignon, but I wouldn't bet against it aging just as long."
ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 94 POINTS - "The 2017 Harvey and Harriet is made up of 65% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Syrah, 6% Petite Sirah, 5% Malbec and 4% Petit Verdot aged in 80% new French oak. It gives up wonderful creme de cassis, chocolate mint, kirsch, blackberry and black cherry jam aromas with a classy frame of vanilla and sweet baking spices plus sparks of graphite, cedar, flowers and tobacco leaf. The medium to full-bodied, silky palate features rich, plush, meaty black fruits with firm but finely woven tannins and just enough juicy freshness to lift the long, layered finish. This is great! It deserves more time in bottle, but it's drinking wonderfully straight out of the gate."
- Item #: i_249101Bottle Size: 750MLA blend of 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Petite Verdot, 12% Zinfandel, 8% Petite Sirah, 8% Syrah, 6% Tempranillo, and 3% Merlot, this rich, luxurious and complex wine begins with alluring aromas of ripe cherry, red currant, cranberry and blueberry, along with sophisticated notes of sandalwood, clove, anise and black tea. On the palate, smooth, silky tannins underscore the lush black cherry and currant flavors, with hints of chocolate, spice and cracked pepper adding depth and nuance to the long, flowing finish.