- Item #: i_228560Bottle Size: 750mlWinemaker's Notes: "The complex aromas of dried cherry, blackberry bramble, orange peel, cherry tobacco, cedar, sandalwood, cardamom, pink peppercorn and forest floor give a decidedly autumn impression. Amazingly silky across the palate with sweet red fruits on the mid-palate, plenty of fine textured tannins and a long toasty finish. This is one of the most elegant and approachable Hanzell Vineyards Pinot Noirs in recent memory."
- Item #: i_229110Bottle Size: 750mlWine Spectator: 94WINE SPECTATOR 94 POINTS - "Juicy, with an engaging mix of red currant, blood orange and raspberry coulis fruit, laced with rooibos tea, mineral, sassafras and mineral notes. Ripe and tightly focused, showing a racy edge that imparts nice lift from start to finish. Best from 2020 through 2035. 2,086 cases made"
- Item #: i_229230Bottle Size: 750mlIn 2002, Heitz planted cabernet vines on Howell Mountain near the gateway to the Linda Falls Preserve. That same year they donated an adjacent 21 acres to the Land Trust as a conservation easement for the preserve, for hikers and nature lovers to enjoy the splendor of the waterfall, which runs year-round. Stretching above the fog at an average elevation of 1500 feet, this area is known for well-drained, volcanic soils and a cooler climate which results in longer hangtime. The vines are planted in narrow rows, deliberately positioned to capture the strongest rays of the summer sun. As the fruit matures, the dense spacing and abundant sunshine leads to a low yield of smaller berries with thick, deeply-hued skins. This picturesque, hilly vineyard is surrounded by pine trees, deer, and bears; a truly special slice of Napa Valley.
Winemaker's Notes: "Its full palate shows how refined and elegant a Howell Mountain wine can be; a firm tannin structure yet silky, with a juicy lingering finish. Undeniably made in the classic Heitz style, it has a liveliness to it with balanced acidity."
- Item #: i_232470Bottle Size: 750mlJeb Dunnuck: 97Owned by Stan Kroenke (who also owns Screaming Eagle), Jonata is located in Ballard Canyon, just south of Los Olivos and is focused on Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, and Syrah. The entire Jonata property is comprised of sand, with varying amounts of clay. The vineyards are sustainably farmed (herbicides and pesticides don’t even enter the conversation), and the area enjoys very cool nights due to winds coming off the Pacific Ocean, mixed with very warm days during the summer months. This helps to create wines of exceptional structure, intensity, and ageability...and it’s not uncommon for these Jonata wines to earn 97-100 points from the critics!
Jonata’s winemaker is Matt Dees, and he has the kind of resume that makes other winemakers green with envy. Having previously worked at other noteworthy estates such as Staglin in Napa, and Craggy Range in New Zealand, Matt has learned how to coax the best out of several different grapes grown in a variety of climates.
JEB DUNNUCK 97 POINTS - "The 2014 El Desafio de Jonata is a baby that needs to be forgotten for 5-6 years. A blend of 79% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, and 4% each of Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc, it offers terrific notes of blackcurrants, lead pencil shaving, licorice, tobacco leaf and roasted meats. Seamless, elegant and gorgeous on the palate, with a phenomenal texture, ultra-fine tannin, and a great finish, it's a tour de force in Santa Barbara County Cabernet Sauvignon. It will keep for 2-3 decades."
- Item #: i_249080Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 94We've followed Tony Biagi and his winemaking talents for several years, from his times at Duckhorn and Paraduxx, to his more recent stays at Plumpjack, Cade, Hourglass and Sinegal. However, we are now proud to have his own Patria wines here at the store! Between the pedigree behind the wine and the quality of what is in the bottle, this label is poised to be on the radar of collectors and savvy connoisseurs alike. While we also carry the Patria Cabernet Sauvignon, Tony's "Avoyelles" bottling is a take on Cabernet Franc, a grape used in some of the best red wines in the world, such as Cheval Blanc from Bordeaux, or Dalla Valle's Maya from Napa.
ROBERT PARKER 94 POINTS - "The 2014 Oakville Ranch Avoyelles is an intriguing blend of 56% Cabernet Franc, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon and the rest Petit Verdot. I thought this was an outrageously delicious, complex wine with notes of incense, camphor, blueberry liqueur, blackcurrants, licorice and a touch of new oak in the background. It is deep, full-bodied, velvety textured and voluptuous with superb density and relatively pure, deep blue and black fruits. This full-bodied wine will offer delicious drinking over the next 12-15+ years."
- Item #: i_249830Bottle Size: 750mlSingle barrel blend of 100% Petit Verdot, offered for the first time in over a decade • Fruit sourced from our estate Persephone Vineyard, Hebe Block, hence the fanciful name • Aged in new French oak barrels for 20 months • Rich fruit is an invitation to drink now, while chewy tannins signal the ageability of this wine Wine Facts • Single vineyard wine • Sustainably produced • Wine is 100% estate grown and bottled
- Item #: i_251320Bottle Size: 750mlWine Advocate: 91+ROBERT PARKER'S WINE ADVOCATE 91+ POINTS - "The 2014 Cabernet Sauvignon Stags Leap District shows a medium to deep garnet-purple color and nose of baked plums, dried mulberries and cassis plus coffee with earth and herbs hints. Taut and chewy in the mouth, it finishes a little hard and chewy but with bags of depth."